Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Loiosh posted:

One of my pet peeves is bad capture setups. As someone with a nice if messy setup: http://chattypics.com/viewer.php?file=Studio15JPG_vqefw2grl1.jpg - The inability to get good footage is a problem. They actually did show some footage from the master build of the new Connie in a test location, but their capture rig for some reason was at under 15 FPS on capturing. The really odd thing is in the video you can see that the actual display is at least at 30 FPS-> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWmrP7DTE04&t=27m08s but when captured it's much slower.

They're spending some thousands of dollars on mocap gear, but are unable to capture decent in game footage. This is fine, everything is going well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

MilesK posted:

Lol, the full game comes out in two weeks, Croberts and Dsmart hug on stage and laugh. It was all Sandi's brilliant new marketing scheme.

That is a NWO Black/NWO Wolf Pac level conspiracy and I would both hate and love to see it happen.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

alphabettitouretti posted:

They're spending some thousands of dollars on mocap gear, but are unable to capture decent in game footage. This is fine, everything is going well.

What I'm guessing is they just ran fraps on the dev's machine to capture this. Assuming their production stuff is moving, I can understand it if you just want to get something out while doing an office move, but it still looks like poo. And I hate streams and video captures that look like poo.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dapper Dan posted:

I think Roberts is completely incapable of actually giving this project up. It would mean that he's failed yet again and the last time he had something taken away from him he left the industry in spite. I think he will pull the temple down around his head rather than let someone take his project over.

I have to agree. In fact, I was having this same discussion with some friends of mine over the weekend. This is the general consensus; especially since this is mostly money from the public and not any investor that can wield any sort of power or control over the project.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tokamak posted:

Totally not closing down the studio

:gary:

Nope, not at all. Whatever gave you that idea? What is the concerted layoffs which have been happening since I first broke the news (which they denied)?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I'm not a developer so someone please correct me if I'm wrong. This is what I've gathered from osmosis:

First, they are promising that 40 people will be able to play online at the same time. That's really really different from having 4-8 people on a LAN.

Second, they are promising a huge area to explore. When you're giving a presentation with staff they know exactly where to go and where not to go. Known bugs can be conveniently avoided.

Third, they are attempting to integrate completely different design architectures on top of one another (FPS, Multi-Crew, Space Combat). This can result in making a fix in one area that causes something breaking down elsewhere. So as they've continued progressing on the project they may have actually made things worse in other ways.

This is what they've promised for this release, by the way. It's a good deal more than what was shown at CitCon I think:

It's all a load of horseshit.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sankis posted:

Derek Smart I want to try Universal Combat since it's exactly the kind of space game I want. The prospect is super daunting, though. Is there anything I need to read aside from the manual. Are there any good forum posts or any supplements you'd recommend. I figure I may as well give it a try since at least it's not a fake game

Download the free v2.0 on Steam. And in the discussions forum there, you will find entire topics, including tutorial movies, mods etc. And hardcore fans of the game going back decades.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Maldoror posted:

it's a turtle

we don't want aliens, we want earth animals with human qualities so we have something to relate to.

i would prefer actual aliens that don't have any common point of reference to relate to; it's more interesting and probably closer to reality. like, aliens might have completely different senses, or "hear" or "see" different types of radiation than earth animals with completely different sensory organs.

I know, right? TV shows are stuck with humanoid bipeds because it is expensive to make anything else look half decent. But computer games defaulting to humanoid bipeds is just lazy. I always thought it would be cool to have aliens that could not exist on earth as it is now.

Like this guy. With our current atmosphere and gravity we can't get centipedes this big on earth, but that doesn't mean they couldn't exist anywhere. Imagine if this guy had evolved to use his mandibles and his front three pairs of limbs as 'hands' capable of precise manipulation. Perfectly civilized. Technologically advanced. Barely comprehensible.

A slight problem that we think they look like gross giant bugs, and they think we look like gross giant grubs, but we're all civilized and try to get along. Our mouth parts aren't able to make the same sorts of sounds and our ears (and other membranes) don't detect vibrations in the same way anyway, so we need mechanical assistance to communicate easily. Unlike dealing with foreign humans we can't pantomime at each other easily, because our morphology is just too different. We can't even use each other's tools or furniture.

No inherent conflict over planets, because while there may be environments where both species could survive, there aren't any environments where both species will be comfortable -- so planets ideal for the giant centipede civilization are at best barely livable hellholes for humans and vice versa. Still some potential conflict over asteroid mining rights and whatnot. Possibly some systems could have a planet were part is suitable for humans and part for centipedes, or have two planets in the liquid water zone, one more suited to centipedes and one more suited for humans, leading to traffic disputes, but that's a local problem. Like us they are sapient individuals, not a hivemind, so there is always the chance of individuals loving things up. But for the most part very little conflict, just completely alien.

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy
That's uh, yeah, I agree.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Omi-Polari posted:

I've been learning the game and here's some resources:

Fan site with lots of documentation on ships / assets / setting: http://www.dereksmartuc.hut1.ru/

"Quick" start tutorial (which I haven't read yet): http://www.3000ad.com/downloads/uc/UC_TUTORIAL.PDF

Galaxy map: http://www.3000ad.com/downloads/ucce/GAME_GALAXY_MAP_PRINTABLE.JPG

I've been playing in carriers, but I'm thinking of switching to cruisers since carriers are a ton of work, and you die faster if you don't know how to manage fighters. Also make sure to get really familiar with missiles.

The game's entire dB is actually included. You don't need to go to any third-party site (which is outdated btw).

Everything you need is in the .\docs folder, complete with shortcuts. Also included in the freeware v2.0 on Steam

And there are also shortcuts to the online appendix which goes to here: http://www.3000ad.com/downloads/ucce/appendix/appendix.html

In case you missed it, I am in the process of doing a major graphics overhaul. Which is what The Lyrius Conflict DLC is about.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
Has Chris Roberts actually committed a crime if the whole thing collapses?

For instance I know if he never had any intent of creating a game and took all the money and did nothing that would be illegal, but if he attempted to spend the money to create the game and due to poor management it doesn't end up being completed, is that still a crime at all? Does the fact he paid himself and his wife (presumably) a very large salary effect anything?

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy
Well in not-bizarro-funding land I'm pretty sure investors have some sort of re compensation paths but nothing criminal afaik (which is very little).

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

The game's entire dB is actually included. You don't need to go to any third-party site (which is outdated btw).

Everything you need is in the .\docs folder, complete with shortcuts. Also included in the freeware v2.0 on Steam

And there are also shortcuts to the online appendix which goes to here: http://www.3000ad.com/downloads/ucce/appendix/appendix.html

In case you missed it, I am in the process of doing a major graphics overhaul. Which is what The Lyrius Conflict DLC is about.
Sweet thx.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
If any of you nerds speak French, Sandi specifically mentions the Monte Carlo Grand Prix during the early French portion of this recent interview. (It's mostly in English but Sandi speaks French and is reading Lord of the Rings in her French book club etc.)

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

alphabettitouretti posted:

Amazing. Octopode is actually defending the broken wrist excuse. Dude, telling us that they only have a handful of coders to make this enormously complex and ambitious game does nothing to counter the view that CIG is incompetent and this project doomed. Quite the opposite in fact.

They have about 280 people working across four studios and I know for a fact that they have more than 10 programmers.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Octopode posted:

I don't know if you've never programmed, never used dictation software, or both, but no, that's not really a viable alternative for anything other than token productivity. He'd probably be much better off hunting and pecking with a stick taped to his cast.

Indeed. I don't think any programmer/developer would even think of using any source of voice recognition software for programming.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

peter gabriel posted:

Loiosh posted:

In a basic way, they are all the new gestures that were added into the social module. The primary movement changes are going into the AC 2.0 / (future) FPS module. They build their product quite similar to ours, with a branch release and a trunk.

So after a branch whatever updates are easily rolled in are added, but the primary development has moved onto the trunk build and the next branch. Branches in order: Hangar Module, AC Module, Racing Module, Social Module, AC 2.0, FPS Module.

If you have a rapidly evolving engine, your backports (upgrades from later trunk builds to earlier branches) become quickly infrequent because you've moved on. For example, they were able to add PBR and the updated Deferred Renderer as a backport to the early Hangar Module, but they could not add the new movement (flight engine) in, and had to release a new build.

They've actually switched to a management system, called Excalibur, which is making the branch building easier. In our case (non-game company), our branches are a full release of the build once we've nailed down the required features for the branch. For a game like this, you actually do a unique build (Public build) that strips out a lot of assets. You cannot release the full trunk because it contains other components (like Foundry 42's SQ42 work) that are absolutely not ready for release.

All that is just to say, this is why their current build where they've like, replaced the movement system that was in Hangar/Social module, you're not seeing that update until they finish off the next branch and public build.

Are you saying yes or no here because I can't even

I think he's saying they're hosed.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Wrong link. Correct one.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

Angela Christine posted:

I know, right? TV shows are stuck with humanoid bipeds because it is expensive to make anything else look half decent. But computer games defaulting to humanoid bipeds is just lazy. I always thought it would be cool to have aliens that could not exist on earth as it is now.

Like this guy. With our current atmosphere and gravity we can't get centipedes this big on earth, but that doesn't mean they couldn't exist anywhere. Imagine if this guy had evolved to use his mandibles and his front three pairs of limbs as 'hands' capable of precise manipulation. Perfectly civilized. Technologically advanced. Barely comprehensible.

A slight problem that we think they look like gross giant bugs, and they think we look like gross giant grubs, but we're all civilized and try to get along. Our mouth parts aren't able to make the same sorts of sounds and our ears (and other membranes) don't detect vibrations in the same way anyway, so we need mechanical assistance to communicate easily. Unlike dealing with foreign humans we can't pantomime at each other easily, because our morphology is just too different. We can't even use each other's tools or furniture.

No inherent conflict over planets, because while there may be environments where both species could survive, there aren't any environments where both species will be comfortable -- so planets ideal for the giant centipede civilization are at best barely livable hellholes for humans and vice versa. Still some potential conflict over asteroid mining rights and whatnot. Possibly some systems could have a planet were part is suitable for humans and part for centipedes, or have two planets in the liquid water zone, one more suited to centipedes and one more suited for humans, leading to traffic disputes, but that's a local problem. Like us they are sapient individuals, not a hivemind, so there is always the chance of individuals loving things up. But for the most part very little conflict, just completely alien.

That's not nearly alien looking enough. How about these guys? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opabinia.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

D_Smart posted:

I think he's saying they're hosed.

Well that I can get on board with

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ShredsYouSay posted:

That's not nearly alien looking enough. How about these guys? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opabinia.

You can certainly get weird alien things underwater, but it's harder to imagine an aquatic species developing space travel. They don't get to discover fire, or develop internal combustion engines. They might make good pilots once they get to space since they are used to thinking and moving in 3 dimensional space, but it's hard to imagine the tech tree they used to get there.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Aliens are big dumb assholes imo

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

MilesK posted:

Lol, the full game comes out in two weeks, Croberts and Dsmart hug on stage and laugh. It was all Sandi's brilliant new marketing scheme.

It was all an elaborate troll to reduce the amount of LTI ships in universe and also ensure goons don't ruin star citizen.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Chin posted:

Remember that Blizzcon where Mike Morhaime's wife opened the event with a tearful monologue? And then not long after they had to delay the release of that WoW expansion because their lead raid programmer got tennis elbow.

Triple A games, man.

:drat:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

peter gabriel posted:

Aliens are big dumb assholes imo

:agreed:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Angela Christine posted:

You can certainly get weird alien things underwater, but it's harder to imagine an aquatic species developing space travel. They don't get to discover fire, or develop internal combustion engines. They might make good pilots once they get to space since they are used to thinking and moving in 3 dimensional space, but it's hard to imagine the tech tree they used to get there.
The same thing is true of basically any theoretical alien species that doesn't come from an oxygen atmosphere.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Ghostlight posted:

The same thing is true of basically any theoretical alien species that doesn't come from an oxygen atmosphere.

What about aliens that turn into space travel machines?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
What is space is one big alien thing that you can't see?
No need to travel anywhere that way, you're already there

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Angela Christine posted:

Source your quotes

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Aliens are trippy, man.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

peter gabriel posted:

What about aliens that turn into space travel machines?
Transformers aren't theoretical.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

G0RF posted:

Sandi speaks French and is reading Lord of the Rings in her French book club

hosed up if true

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Ghostlight posted:

Transformers aren't theoretical.

Fair point

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

A Neurotic Jew posted:

quote:

Octopode posted:
The current bugs are preventing the release of 2.0; the art assets are the risk to the schedule of the project as a whole.

Legit curious; where are you getting this from?

Out of ether most likely. From what I know - and from credible sources - the tech is still poo poo and the art assets - as I said months ago, are over three years from completion in their entirety.

Basically, I'm told that if they release anything for the anniversary sale, that it will be a move of desperation and an attempt to "prove certain people wrong" and that it would be the worse mistake yet. Heck, even what's in the PTU right now can't be merged with that they have internally. Imagine that and ask yourself this: If what's in the PTU now is not part of what's coming in 2.0, then wtf is going on?

For the record, this is what they promised was coming in 2.0. As usual, it's a load of un-achievable bollocks.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Well I'm all out of alien ideas

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

D_Smart posted:

Out of ether most likely. From what I know - and from credible sources - the tech is still poo poo and the art assets - as I said months ago, are over three years from completion in their entirety.

Basically, I'm told that if they release anything for the anniversary sale, that it will be a move of desperation and an attempt to "prove certain people wrong" and that it would be the worse mistake yet. Heck, even what's in the PTU right now can't be merged with that they have internally. Imagine that and ask yourself this: If what's in the PTU now is not part of what's coming in 2.0, then wtf is going on?

For the record, this is what they promised was coming in 2.0. As usual, it's a load of un-achievable bollocks.

Could the game come out on time and be feature complete do you think Derek?

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

peter gabriel posted:

Well I'm all out of alien ideas

Hagfish!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Loiosh posted:

Hagfish!

Is this an insult?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Octopode posted:

It wasn't a dodge, it was the only response you deserved. None of the conclusions I've posted are hard to reach if you read through the mountains of information available, but no, there's no nice clean source that compiles it all in one place, and I'm not going to take the time to make one for you. Frankly, you've shown that you don't take the time to try and understand information even when it is presented to you, repeatedly, and your response to someone trying to impart new information to you is hostility, which is depressing to watch.

I'm an experienced dev, and back in July when I read the same "mountains of information", I concluded that the a) they were lying b) that the project was nowhere close to be done c) they needed over $150m and another 3 yrs to complete it

And thus far, I've been right about everything I've said. Including the fact that - pay attention - after four years, they still didn't have the tech to build the game they promise.

I don't deal in conjecture or just spouting off nonsense with no basis in reality.

And not a single one of your posts have shown any inkling of being based in reality, let alone derived from the "mountains of information" provided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

D_Smart posted:

Heck, even what's in the PTU right now can't be merged with that they have internally. Imagine that and ask yourself this: If what's in the PTU now is not part of what's coming in 2.0, then wtf is going on?

The PTU isn't even active right now, though, and hasn't been since the launch of 1.3, so what exactly are you talking about?

• Locked thread