Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

OhDearGodNo posted:

It's surprising because it's gone from CIG moving goalposts (polished pre-alpha) to completely changing them (FPS now 2.0) and eventually just questioning why people keep attacking them with ridiculous things like "promises" or in a more professional sense "progress."

Right. Then there's this gem. Note that in my last blog, I claimed that not even 10% of the game was completed, after four years and $95m

quote:

I can't even IMAGINE a full release at this point

I Mean holy poo poo CIG said if we reached the 6 million stretch goal that there would be 100 star systems at launch with multiple planets and each planet would have multiple landing zones and it's been three years and we only have THREE landing zones even close to being done

That's less than 1% of what's supposed to be in the game. I don't even need to do the math to know that the ETA for the final game is INCREDIBLY far away even if they drastically speed up creation.

Then look at the Constellation it took over 3 years from concept to flyable ncluding a 9 month redesign that STILL isn't done and we have over 50 ships left to go MOST of which haven't even been STARTED

I realize Ben said once they get one done it speeds up the proccess for the others because they have better systems in place and can reuse assets but COME ON

And that's not even talking about all the functionality and core game mechanics that are still in the pen and paper theory craft stage.

And don't even get me started on how CIG plans to get 100 people in an instance or how long and how much work it will take to get the Engine to even be able to handle an MMO like this. Or if it's even POSSIBLE. 3 years in and we don't even know if the vision is possible.

So how the hell can this game be done by the end of 2016 which was Chris Roberts latest ETA. Actually how the hell could it be anywhere near 2016 and how could you even come up with such an unrealistic ETA to give your backers?

I don't even see how it could be done before Q1 2018 at this rate even if production speeds up significantly

I am officially depressed just thinking about it. I Honestly believed Chris when he said beta at end of 2014 and I was perfectly happy with the original kickstarter scope.

My HOPE is that CIG spends more time making basic flying/dogfighting actually fun and gets rid of interactive mode and makes the arena commander joystick experience better because I would be happy for 2 another years just playing Arena Commander IF the gameplay was ACTUALLY GOOD/ balanced and joystick wasn't at a disadvantage to mouse

Hopefully 2.0 is the start of CIG finally taking advantage of their live game Arena Commander and putting out something that more than 200 people WANT to spend time playtesting each week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Almost none of the art stuff is finished, and what they've released as "playable" is still a WIP. The Cutlass is a perfect example. Programming drives a significant portion of the assets that have to be made. For ships alone you have flight mechanics, boarding mechanics, damage model, docking mechanics, interior gameplay considerations, and a host of other things that should have been finalized on gray boxes long before we had flyable starships. Instead CIG has wasted a significant amount of time and money having to redo things that were once considered to be in their final form. Three years (really four) into development we still have a limited understanding at best of every major game mechanic that's supposed to be implemented even though people are flying their pretty starships and running each other over in buggies. That's like trying to build a car at the same as as while God decides what the Laws of Physics should be. Not only does CIG have a tremendous amount of outstanding assets, they also have a tremendous amount of waste.

Right. Which is where, after my analysis, I arrived at the conclusion (in my last blog) that not even 10% of the game was thus far completed. Right now, it's all one big glorified proof-of-concept (in part) tech demo.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

A Neurotic Jew posted:

If it's relatively easy, why do they refuse to give release estimates, why did the FPS module that they've been promising all year get indefinitely delayed, and why have they missed so many release dates? Because of art assets?

Or why, back when I said it was delayed indefinitely, they denied it, made it movie showing it off, then promptly (mere weeks later) shelved it under the guise of moving it into the PU build. heh

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

Well I'm all out of alien ideas

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Looks legit.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

peter gabriel posted:

Is this an insult?

One of the most odd creatures around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrPvMMkQkk0

Myxine, the slime eel, or hagfish are the only craniates (creatures with a skull) that do not have a vertebral spine. They tie themselves in knots, produce a horrifying slime with disturbed and like eating other creatures from the inside out. (That last statement isn't quite true). They're make for a great alien critter type of design.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

OhDearGodNo posted:

Octopode manages 3 datacenters while also moonlighting as a lawyer in trade law (hence his extensive knowledge with TOS enforcement) and only recently has begun to apply his expertise in programming.

To be fair, he has more marketing experience than Sandi.

Wait! Did I miss his take on the enforcement of the TOS whereby CIG was supposed to do refunds and provide financials if they missed the ship date by 12 months?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Star citizen has provided me the most entertainment out of any game in recent history

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

People constantly dunking on Octopode is funny, but doesn't really seem necessary. I'm going to keep sitting here and the game's going to keep not being out, and he'll keep being wrong. That's really all that's necessary.

Yeah, don't run Octopode off, things can't be as hosed up as the consensus here believes, they just can't. It would be hilarious (unless you work there) if everything rumoured was true but lets be realistic, there's still far more chance of a damp squib ending to this as drags on in limbo for years than a glorious abrupt explosion.

Release is 2016 and next year they'll downsize again to cut costs and then release will be 2017, these people have a dozen separate companies, they probably aren't entirely stupid. If they can't deliver, which it appears they can't, they need to bore the hostile crowd until they drift away.

AP fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 15, 2015

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

neonbregna posted:

Source your quotes

:smith:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Everything octopode posts is tedious as hell and I don't read it

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Technically, 3 of those are not aliens :D (#1 is a modified human, #4 is a cyborg/golem and Ian Cormic, #5 is an AI robot)

I don't know where #2 came from. #3 is my favorite, a Prador, which are hate-filled intelligent crab-like aliens who think humans taste yummy.

That series also has the best AI main character in the later books. Penny Royal <3

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Octopode posted:

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

So IT then? Which has nothing to do with programming, game development or the price of rice in China. Got it.

ps: Assuming it's all true of course. Not that I'd dox anyone or anything.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Eonwe posted:

Everything octopode posts is tedious as hell and I don't read it

well then youre missing out on some super knowledgeable top secret DoD expertise, loser

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 15, 2015

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Young Freud posted:

The guy was a lead programmer, so I'd wager that he probably didn't do a whole lot of coding but instead delegated and checked the work of the programmers under him, coming up with processes, or help brainstorm solutions to process issues.

And even if he did do programming, I'd rather go with him dictating to another programmer instead of voice-to-text, just because they're will be some understanding regarding the vagaries of the programming language.

A lead programmer is precisely that: a lead programmer. As in someone who is responsible for writing most of the code he is assigned with, as well as delegate to others (if any).

I'm a lead programmer. I write a lot of code. But also delegate to others depending on tasking.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I dont think scorpions can evolve with guns as their tails and arms

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Octopode posted:

They don't generally raise a fuss about things that they released to the press years ago. Cat's pretty well out of the bag on those.

Then you don't have a security or FBI clearance. If you did, then you would know - right off the bat - that you can't disclose your govt. employer or tasking in a public forum if said employer is in any way, shape or form connected to a govt. agency with ties to any defense agency.

Guess how I know all this.

ps: I believe you btw. I just think you're being irresponsible because I found out who you were in the time it took me to write this response

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
What's your favourite episode of Stargate Derek? Octopode ignored me when I asked, which I thought was slightly rude.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Loiosh posted:

One of the most odd creatures around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrPvMMkQkk0

Myxine, the slime eel, or hagfish are the only craniates (creatures with a skull) that do not have a vertebral spine. They tie themselves in knots, produce a horrifying slime with disturbed and like eating other creatures from the inside out. (That last statement isn't quite true). They're make for a great alien critter type of design.

These are good, I will use these.
Alien Module for my game is now complete

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ramadu posted:

I dont think scorpions can evolve with guns as their tails and arms

It's not for lack of trying, at least.

Loiosh posted:

Dick aliens are not precisely uncommon.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

Then you don't have a security or FBI clearance. If you did, then you would know - right off the bat - that you can't disclose your govt. employer or tasking in a public forum if said employer is in any way, shape or form connected to a govt. agency with ties to any defense agency.

ps: I believe you btw. I just think you're being irresponsible because I found out who you were in the time it took me to write this response

We all look forward to the blog post with the latest gossip.

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

Derek Smart: Super Sleuth

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Chocobo posted:

Seven loving years of development and nothing to show for it.

ROTFLMAO!! Are you a time traveler!?!?! Just two pages ago, it was five (which in and of itself, was already ridiculous) years. Stop trolling please. :)

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

kordansk posted:

Yeah I don't believe you. I have friends that work for the DIA. They aren't loving morons. I hope they yank your TS/SCI clearance so you get to loving flip burgers the rest of your life. I wouldn't be surprised if some goon decides to make your life miserable and 'leak' your shitposts to some bored investigators.

I doubt he has those. I do believe that he works for the govt though. That explains everything. Pretty much.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

D_Smart posted:

Feel free to PM me your guess. I'll even let you know if you're right.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

D_Smart posted:

ROTFLMAO!! Are you a time traveler!?!?! Just two pages ago, it was five (which in and of itself, was already ridiculous) years. Stop trolling please. :)

stop being a bullshit liar about everything. Sue Chris Roperts already or get the gently caress out.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

OhDearGodNo posted:

You're a bona-fide goddamn loving moron. Yes I'm actually insulting you now.

You just did one of the following:

- Posted that you manage JWICS level networks to support sensitive operations. This combined with other poo poo you've posted personally (such as upcoming medical costs) have now made you a spearfishing target. You've also violated several DoD guidelines on minimizing your online footprint.

- You're lying.

I honestly hope you're lying because you're not the only DoD employee here.

Get a mod to delete your post and all quotes.

I'll be looking into this tomorrow when I get into work.

Now, back to talking about a game that will never come out.

Too late. I know who he is already. Wasn't hard either.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
You all must forgive Octopode. He has large breaks in posting because he sometimes accidentally opens a Word document with 200 solid pages of "Jerk detected! This user is on your ignore list, click to view post anyway" and just starts typing. He's a very confused man. It's a terrible affliction.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

I said come in! posted:

stop being a bullshit liar about everything. Sue Chris Roperts already or get the gently caress out.

Nice post/name combo

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Octopode posted:

Feel free to PM me your guess. I'll even let you know if you're right.

You work at a place where computers say GWAN and that is awesome

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
months later i still dont know if the people who put money (particularly over a grand) into star citizen deserve their money back

chris roberts belongs in jail for some kind of fraud either way, but it's white collar (in more ways than one) so I doubt that will happen

I mean if you gave someone over a grand for jpegs of potential video game starships you kind of deserve that loss... the people who profited off the grey market (aside from CIG etc) are kind of my heroes for this.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Rebaselining a program is basically an admission that something hosed up, and that either the technical challenges were greater than you expected, that your ability to project the productivity of your workers is poor, or that circumstances outside of your control have influenced development. There are no circumstances outside of CIG's control that have influenced development so either they hosed up estimating the technical challenges or they hosed up estimating the capabilities of their own workforce. The answer, of course, is that they've done both. Normally rebaselining is a common part of project management; you evaluate the circumstances and take your improved understanding and experiences to establish a new timeline that (hopefully) has greater confidence than the previous one. It's a natural part of any sort of major development. The problem with CIG is that they have rebaselined so loving often that there is absolutely no sense of confidence or credibility left. The FPS alone was rebaselined so many times I've lost count. When that happens the idea of "percent currently planned" is meaningless because it's blatantly clear that there is no plan. Instead we have a bunch of talented, driven people being subjected to constant crunch time at the behest of a visionary with a history of terrible project management who arbitrarily changes things to suit whatever whims he has that day. There is nothing to compare because there is no plan. There is only whatever Chris wants.

Here is the release date: November 2014. CIG told people to expect the game then, they received funding sufficient to meet that goal, and then they failed to deliver. Worse yet they are going to blast by the deadline that by their own TOS means things are so bad that there will be a complete financial accounting. Everything outside of that context, from excuses about expanding scope to their lead FPS programmer breaking his wrists to them changing the approach because it supposedly will improve things, is bullshit. CIG has absolutely no credibility left. Jared, Ben, Sandi, Chris, all of them are liars who will say anything in order to continue the charade that this program is well managed and things are perfectly okay. That you believe a word they say is ludicrous.

:bravo:

That is all.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

A Neurotic Jew posted:

The bugs in this game are so bad that we can't get a single clip from literally hours of footage. But we will definitely pull something out of our asses next week for the sale or Ortwin will have our wrists broken and/or loving kill us. Also, everything is going fine, just fine.

This here poo poo isn't even funny anymore.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

AP posted:

Yeah, don't run Octopode off, things can't be as hosed up as the consensus here believes, they just can't. It would be hilarious (unless you work there) if everything rumoured was true but lets be realistic, there's still far more chance of a damp squib ending to this as drags on in limbo for years than a glorious abrupt explosion.

Release is 2016 and next year they'll downsize again to cut costs and then release will be 2017, these people have a dozen separate companies, they probably aren't entirely stupid. If they can't deliver, which it appears they can't, they need to bore the hostile crowd until they drift away.

Octopode has done a fine enough job of running himself off. You used to actually have to read his posts since they were slightly based in reality for a true believer. Then he had his melt down where he self doxxed his security clearance. Now you can just skip right by his posts unless you want to see what is currently going on the white knight hive mind. Hopefully he catches a job at CIG wiping lesnicks rear end or something cause lord knows lesnick can't reach it on his own. :gary:

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
the concept that some people saw a crowdfunding campaign for a game which rewarded people for sinking thousands of dollars into it for starships... thought it was a good idea... and put thousands into it

makes me think of the type of rampant consumerism driving games in general; . "Unggg! <brand> is back! take all my money before I can form a coherent thought!" WING COMMANDER YALL!!~~~

my new definition of a nerd is someone who gets hype over nostalgia/branding/marketing for a game, comic, or other entertainment.. and then blows a bunch of money on it BEFORE deciding if its a good product. just, on principle.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

D_Smart posted:

So IT then? Which has nothing to do with programming, game development or the price of rice in China. Got it.

ps: Assuming it's all true of course. Not that I'd dox anyone or anything.

Mirificus posted:

I find it weird how he pretends to have actual domain knowledge in all of these different areas.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ShredsYouSay posted:

That's not nearly alien looking enough. How about these guys? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opabinia.

I prefer the Vorlons with their shower curtains myself

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TTerrible posted:

Don't listen to these assholes, double down. Perhaps you have an ID card or wage slip we could verify.

LOL!! Yeah, wot he said!

:allears:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Here is the past couple weeks more or less: A head programmer broke his wrist(s) and so for this reason Alpha 2.0 is delayed. It's supposed to be out Any Day Now, but they admit that they can't get any footage from it because of how many game-breaking bugs there are. Derek claims that they are not even close to having a workable program and that it would probably be wiser if they don't release anything than put out the unplayable and feature-stripped mess they have right now. But if they don't put out anything by the end of the year it will look really, really bad so they are scrambling to put something out the door. They also just started building another office complete with ~another MoCap Studio~ in Santa Monica for completely inexplicable reasons. Sales are down by a lot. The yearly anniversary sale is in four days and should have some Grade-A attempts at pocket fleecing. Derek promised a simultaneous blog release maybe? but who knows with that guy.

Meanwhile Octopode self-doxxes with potentially sensitive information to prove he is a knower of things.

I have come to love your synopsis when you do them. In fact, as soon as someone posts "I've just recovered from a meth high, wtf did I miss?", I start scrolling for your response :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

neonbregna posted:

Octopode has done a fine enough job of running himself off. You used to actually have to read his posts since they were slightly based in reality for a true believer. Then he had his melt down where he self doxxed his security clearance. Now you can just skip right by his posts unless you want to see what is currently going on the white knight hive mind. Hopefully he catches a job at CIG wiping lesnicks rear end or something cause lord knows lesnick can't reach it on his own. :gary:

Yeah that's fair, I still sort of think he's going to fall back on a trolling defence now but there's no doubt in my mind he was serious posting CIG defence in 2013/14. The self dox I have no handle on at all as that's just plain daft. Warcrimes hosed off when the going got tough so Octopode might too now.

• Locked thread