Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

iajanus posted:

Actually, I said that we were focusing on the flavour and not in any way trying to actually ferret out people acting like scum. I then said that I was suspicious of Quid, but not sure - I never implied that I actually had a different suspicion. I then, later, posted that I'd vote for Quid in the interest of securing a lynch because nobody had presented as a better option but I still wasn't 100% convinced. Was that a misreading of what I wrote or trying to put words in my mouth?

You were casting doubt on the case currently on the table, but weren't making any contributions to scumhunting yourself. You were perfectly content to just go with the flow and not make any pushes, which to me says that you're scum just trying to go with the flow and not draw heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Why were you opposed to the lynch when your flavour is counter to his role? The entire reason he said you were scum was that you weren't on his list of handhelds, which meant that either a) he was a liar b) your flavour is fake c) he didn't have all the handhelds.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

EXAKT Science posted:

You were casting doubt on the case currently on the table, but weren't making any contributions to scumhunting yourself. You were perfectly content to just go with the flow and not make any pushes, which to me says that you're scum just trying to go with the flow and not draw heat.

The case that was on the table was a bunch of posting about minutiae that wasn't making any headway. I wanted us to try to start moving in a more productive direction. Ironically we are now, just against me, which is nice on the level that we're now looking at more useful data but less nice insofar as I'm vanilla town so scum are likely enjoying me being the focus of attention.

I agree with Taste's comment about the coincidental timing of merk popping into the thread seemingly apropos of nothing more than being mentioned for not doing so; it could be that merk has been busy just reading and only posting when able to but it's a little weird, much like the couple of people jumping in to support him and declare him town immediately afterwards with no real signs either way.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

merk posted:

No way. ##vote Taste

Wanna explain this vote, merk?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

Why were you opposed to the lynch when your flavour is counter to his role? The entire reason he said you were scum was that you weren't on his list of handhelds, which meant that either a) he was a liar b) your flavour is fake c) he didn't have all the handhelds.

I was opposed to the lynch because I of option c). I thought that he had possibly just misread his role insofar as he thought it was an exhaustive list so attacked me on that basis. I thought if that was the case then voting him out might not be the best move, especially relatively early on in the process when we were talking about this.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Merk has a... thing for me. It's an indication of his mindset more than his alignment.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Meaning, he's not really invested in this game if he's town, or he's lurking scum.

It's unfortunate as he's a good town player and a poor scum one

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
If you wanted us to start moving in a more productive direction (than dunking the claimed 3P), why not make a case, or cast a vote, or really do anything other than just bemoan the current case?

Venom Soag
Oct 1, 2015

Tactical Sexpionage Tourism

MysticalMachineGun posted:

As for Soag, his intentional(?) misspellings seem to be a bit gimmicky to me and gimmick posting screams scum. And yet, he's been pushing to vote on me pretty much every day but I don't think that makes him scum, just wrong. Thoughts: town, misguided.

thouhgts: scum, scum

tryign to frame me as gimmick postign is a scum tactic from earlier games and wont work a second time

like switchign the controller to port 2 vs psyco mantits

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

iajanus posted:

The case that was on the table was a bunch of posting about minutiae that wasn't making any headway. I wanted us to try to start moving in a more productive direction. Ironically we are now, just against me, which is nice on the level that we're now looking at more useful data but less nice insofar as I'm vanilla town so scum are likely enjoying me being the focus of attention.

I agree with Taste's comment about the coincidental timing of merk popping into the thread seemingly apropos of nothing more than being mentioned for not doing so; it could be that merk has been busy just reading and only posting when able to but it's a little weird, much like the couple of people jumping in to support him and declare him town immediately afterwards with no real signs either way.

I've noticed this too, merk and EXACT popping up when called on.

but Quidnose admitted to lying and lying about a very scummy role. And you were saying hold on because what? that there was no more obvious target? that was not minutiae, it was a 3p lying about their role. then confessing to lying and then claiming to have an even more obtuse and scummy role.

Wanna explain this vote, merk?

quoting because merk will probably miss it.

Tremendous Taste posted:

Meaning, he's not really invested in this game if he's town, or he's lurking scum.

It's unfortunate as he's a good town player and a poor scum one

Does this mean he is being poor scum by being bad town?

should we lynch merk in your opinion?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Taste are you scum?

y/n/m

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Kommando posted:

Does this mean he is being poor scum by being bad town?

No, I mean that he's a very good town player when he's engaged. When he draws scum, however, I think he's not nearly as strong a player.

quote:

should we lynch merk in your opinion?

He's similar to soag in that it's probably better to wait on that. Maybe scum will be sporting and kill him off for us.

CCKeane posted:

Taste are you scum?

y/n/m

n

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Venom Soag posted:

thouhgts: scum, scum

tryign to frame me as gimmick postign is a scum tactic from earlier games and wont work a second time

like switchign the controller to port 2 vs psyco mantits
[video=youtube]2P5qbcRAXVk[/video]
https://youtu.be/2P5qbcRAXVk

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Kommando posted:

I've noticed this too, merk and EXACT popping up when called on.

but Quidnose admitted to lying and lying about a very scummy role. And you were saying hold on because what? that there was no more obvious target? that was not minutiae, it was a 3p lying about their role. then confessing to lying and then claiming to have an even more obtuse and scummy role.

:colbert: fine, I never said I made a good or well-thought out argument against him, I was just expressing my opinion and it came off a bit hamfistedly. In hindsight it wasn't particularly well framed or expressed but that's done now, for better or more likely worse. Moving on, since I'm looking down the barrel at the moment of being lynched and I (personally) know that I'm town, I'm looking at where the main impetus against me is coming from. Sure, I've come off pretty scummy, but a lot of thrust is coming from Exact who just popped up as you observed and shone a light on me out of relatively nowhere. Whilst the argument being made isn't objectively a bad one, from my end it looks like they're doing a bang-up job trying to get everyone looking at me just when it was being noticed that we had some absences.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Yeah yeah, if you're town how bout you give us some good parting reads to look at in light of your flip

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Ha ha, I just realised due to the QLD timezone I'll be at the gym for deadline today and Wednesday :doh:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Two hours until deadline btw.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Our town game is really being hamstrung by the amount of lurking going on. Would you honestly believe there's still 20 people in this game?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

then let's lighten the load.

merk :silent: is at worst scum, at best useless.

##vote merk

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Kommando posted:

##vote merk

there are several players that are understandable scum candidates, it's not like we're pissing into the wind here

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I've got half an hour to lay a vote. Happy to vote for merk for general uselessness, and I'm not feeling iajanus.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I gather that.
I draw my gaze at iajanus, EXACT, bromp and bif, but only because hiip, merk and tbk have posted less times than Anidav the GM has and so I've got nothing to go on.

and of those times merk has bumbled in and said that he's not reading the thread.

while not precisely scummy, it's not helping town.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Kommando posted:

##vote merk

Ehhhhh, I'm pretty sure you're off base here.

I'm feeling Bif pretty hard.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

useless quiet townies are still townies, don't take my irritation vote as saying quiet town = scum.

but right now merk is a coin flip whether they turn up scum to me.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

CCKeane posted:

Ehhhhh, I'm pretty sure you're off base here.

I'm feeling Bif pretty hard.

can you convince anyone else to vote bif, because I'll vote bif.

or are you just observing.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I think I have a vibe on the flavour - note that the vanilla town that have been killed so far have all been consoles.

Then note that our 3p was a phone.

Is it possible the scum are all handhelds and the town are all consoles? Helps that I'm a vanilla town console, of course.

To that end, we know Bif is a PSP - I've railed against her and Soag's posting and targetting me more leaning towards Soag, but she could be scum. ##vote Bifauxnen

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I think I have a vibe on the flavour - note that the vanilla town that have been killed so far have all been consoles.

Is it possible the scum are all handhelds and the town are all consoles? Helps that I'm a vanilla town console, of course.

To that end, we know Bif is a PSP - I've railed against her and Soag's posting and targetting me more leaning towards Soag, but she could be scum. ##vote Bifauxnen

Adding to this the Xperia Play was also a 3P. So we have three dead vanilla town consoles, and two dead 3P phones/handhelds.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

bifs not high on my suspect list, but higher than mmg who's suspicion seems to be based on a flavor call from kashuno, who's untrustworthy at best, about a topic I certainly do not have the same level of sperg that Anidav has. I couldn't tell you what consoles from my pre teens had cartridge slots or discs.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

This is an awful flavour case.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

:lol: This is super weak, thanks for going out on such a bad limb in case you somehow convince enough people to follow through a lynch on it though.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I do not agree with your speculation.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

SirSamVimes posted:

This is an awful flavour case.

It's speculation, but it matches with what we've seen so far. Nothing more, nothing less.

If a town handheld had turned up then it would tear my whole theory down, of course.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Lotta handhelds making GBS threads on my speculation, I see.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Non handheld making GBS threads on your speculation right here.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

mmg, that bad reasoning has to be a townie with no info connecting the dots.

you're ok.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Alright, so I've put a theory out there and it's provoked some discussion at least. Anybody have any better ideas?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Anidav in MMG's head: "watch out dudes, I'm going to give the scum fakeclaims in case you all massclaim! It'll make things harder!". *gives.all the scum claims from the same faction so they can be easily lumped together*

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Try to steal my bit
but you look like poo poo

The 3P flips have been an Xperia Play and an iPhone. They're not handhelds/phones. They're phones. Handhelds have not been implicated.

I suspect Anidav has made MS/XBox the villain.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Kat have you got any reads that are not flavor based?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Kat Delacour posted:

The 3P flips have been an Xperia Play and an iPhone. They're not handhelds/phones. They're phones. Handhelds have not been implicated.

Thanks for clarifying - I'm not familiar with the Xperia so I hedged my bets.

quote:

I suspect Anidav has made MS/XBox the villain.

This would be hilarious but only if the XBone has another 3P role that can turn it into a town saviour or something, just because he seems to like that console :)

• Locked thread