Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

This is the first time I've ever seen a ti I've liked. That color really works on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
Just started looking for a new Fiesta ST...looked the second one tonight that had a bunch of options that I don't want except for the ebony wheels and asked the salesman why the red calipers looked the calipers on the standard Fiestas....and just asking me why it was such a big deal. Showed him the lastest Ford order and pricing guides that fully described what is included with option 64H, then the pictures in goddamn official brochure held next to the wheels on the actual car.

Anybody else come across this or know anything? Unsure of what else may have been harvested from the car I walked out, took some pics and sent a few emails out relaying this when I got back in. I wonder if they were all in on the hustle or just totally clueless.

A Loud Fart
Sep 9, 2011
The fiesta ST is a high demand car, I can see a dealer swapping red calipers for a buyer, for a price, to close a sale. I've been shopping the car seriously now for a few months and can't get a test drive if the dealer has one in stock, and models with Recaros are unheard of. Molten Orange with matching seats is fantasy. Just let me drive one jesus christ I'd put down a deposit but I can't trust the dealer to give it back.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Got our first snow of the season. Can't break traction on a launch in my R. But I can force it to go sideways :) Gonna be an entertaining winter. Now to see how it behaves when there is 2-3 inches of snowpack on the road.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

A Loud Fart posted:

The fiesta ST is a high demand car, I can see a dealer swapping red calipers for a buyer, for a price, to close a sale. I've been shopping the car seriously now for a few months and can't get a test drive if the dealer has one in stock, and models with Recaros are unheard of. Molten Orange with matching seats is fantasy. Just let me drive one jesus christ I'd put down a deposit but I can't trust the dealer to give it back.

I'd run right the hell away from that dealership if it were me, ignorance or purposeful doesn't really matter if both results end up in you getting shafted.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

A Loud Fart posted:

Acton Ford in Acton, MA has a loaded Molten orange with matching seats if you want to do a car trade or are within a reasonable distance.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

KakerMix posted:

I'd run right the hell away from that dealership if it were me, ignorance or purposeful doesn't really matter if both results end up in you getting shafted.

Believe me I did like Flock of Seagulls.

Working on another deal right now that is exactly what I want. Haven't add any issues getting to drive one, and they certainly live up to the hype - without even getting into it. Dealing with Ford dealerships is the worst thing about the car.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

All these posts about terrible Ford dealerships make me incredibly grateful that I live where I do, as I've had fantastic experience with two different dealerships here over several decades.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I just had a great experience at a Ford dealership.

We test drove the FiST and FoST for the misuses. She was dead set on getting the FiST until she drove it and realized how compact it really is and sort of 'budget' feeling in places in the interior. Once she poked her head inside the FoST we were pretty much sold on the bigger package.

Unfortunately, my 6'4" 215lb frame is too big for the Recaros in the FoST (Butt literally going numb on the 15 minute test drive). Heated seats were a must for her and she also wanted BLiS, not available on the FoST.

Great car, but we ended up with a Focus Titanium which has all the luxuries and most of the looks but none of the boost. I still think longingly back on the FoST sometimes though...

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
It's the same as any car company. The dealerships aren't under direct control from above, so experiences vary drastically. Even at the best dealer you have to deal with the loving annoying pricing schemes and other bullshit.

Cobb just released their tunes for the 2016 FiST. 1800 miles is enough to start modifying this thing, right?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

oxbrain posted:

It's the same as any car company. The dealerships aren't under direct control from above, so experiences vary drastically. Even at the best dealer you have to deal with the loving annoying pricing schemes and other bullshit.

Cobb just released their tunes for the 2016 FiST. 1800 miles is enough to start modifying this thing, right?

I started at 800 miles, why not?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
If you have a FiST and an accessport, make sure to update to the latest revision. Big improvement

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
Took delivery of MY16 Fiesta ST (magnetic grey, w/ebony wheels - nothing else) tonight for well over a grand under invoice, put 100 miles on it, might have made somebody hurl on a neighbor's fence. Went back out for ice cream by myself to get an 'independent assessment' and was left astonished, giddy, and nearly sick myself by the end and decided to call it a night quit while I was ahead and put it away, crack a beer, and juts chill and read the manual.

Despite driving a modded, barely legal '90 Miata for past few like James Dean with half a gram up his nose most of the time (confirming that the notorious shortnose crank failure can simply be fixed if welded right) it's nice to have boost/instant torque again (:rip: '06 WRX good riddance), and all the standard features/technology/warranty is insane despite being a luddite for the longest time driving a Merc W201/NA Miata.

Looking forward to getting up early and making the drive to work tomorrow before traffic. Best part, it looks like a Honda Fit to 98% of ppl on the road...and unlike a BMW whenever I looked at the speedometer I was constantly surprised at how slow I was actually going. loving good poo poo - exactly what I wanted and expected.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Congrats my F(i)ST friend, welcome to the club! If you ever decide you need more pep, pick up an accessport. The gains really are something

Oh, and you probably already know, but make sure to have winter tires ready to go if you live anywhere that gets <40 degrees. The low profiles will try to kill you in any amount of snow or ice

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Nov 10, 2015

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmBoW8XuUWY

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Dr.Caligari posted:

Congrats my F(i)ST friend, welcome to the club! If you ever decide you need more pep, pick up an accessport. The gains really are something

Oh, and you probably already know, but make sure to have winter tires ready to go if you live anywhere that gets <40 degrees. The low profiles will try to kill you in any amount of snow or ice

Gracias. First priorities are definitely figuring out sizing and all and getting a winter tire/wheel setup, ideally by the time that's figured out and they arrive I might want to change the oil/filter at the same time...but I'm almost certain I'm going to run up the odometer a little too quickly to do everything at once - is there any sort of consensus regarding when to change out the original oil? Also need to plan a trip to SLC.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I changed mine at 1000 and there were tons of little bits in it. Then I changed it at 3500 & 7000. People in the thread here balked at 1000 but I think getting all of those little particles out was a net positive. Every 3500 might be overkill but oil and filters are super cheap at walmart and I enjoy doing it so whatever.

You might want to get under your car and tighten all of the hose clamps. There were reports of hoses popping off the intercooler on 2014 & 2015 models. Using dashcommand as a boost gague I was maxing out at 17PSI until I tightened my hose clamps. Then I was getting the full 21PSI.

This car is ramp friendly but not exactly jack friendly. There's no easy to access point where you can jack up the whole front or rear end in one go. When I was using a jack I would have to jack up each corner and place a jack stand. Now I have a mini-lift called the Bendpak QuickJack that works great.

I'm doing my winter tires sometime this month but here in Boston we still have a few 60 degree days in store.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

GutBomb posted:

I changed mine at 1000 and there were tons of little bits in it. Then I changed it at 3500 & 7000. People in the thread here balked at 1000 but I think getting all of those little particles out was a net positive. Every 3500 might be overkill but oil and filters are super cheap at walmart and I enjoy doing it so whatever.

You might want to get under your car and tighten all of the hose clamps. There were reports of hoses popping off the intercooler on 2014 & 2015 models. Using dashcommand as a boost gague I was maxing out at 17PSI until I tightened my hose clamps. Then I was getting the full 21PSI.

This car is ramp friendly but not exactly jack friendly. There's no easy to access point where you can jack up the whole front or rear end in one go. When I was using a jack I would have to jack up each corner and place a jack stand. Now I have a mini-lift called the Bendpak QuickJack that works great.

I'm doing my winter tires sometime this month but here in Boston we still have a few 60 degree days in store.

Thanks Boston ST bro, I have access to a brand new dealership lift on weekends so getting it in the air shouldn't be a problem but good to know. Heard about the loose hoses noted on the older models, will make a note to check those later on today, also have to figure out what to use for oil/filter...I don't think I've bought any motor oil that isn't Rotella T6 5W40 in years and either Purolator/Mann filters.

Salesman (who owned, and is a whole different story in itself) gave me a 100% full tank of what is probably 87 octane, so once the fuel light comes on I'm making a beeline to the nearest Shell station to pump it full of sweet, sweet 93 VPower and then proceed to go a little deeper into the pedal. Hopefully it will be late at night when that happens so I can head straight to Storrow Drive and perform a thorough roadtest without threat of deer/LEO. Like the Neon SRT-4 or the Abarth (which I never got to drive ha) I wouldn't want to be buying one of these secondhand.

Are the 1.6 EcoBoost motors affected by the DI intake valve carbon issues that the other motors have? If so what is the best practice to avoid this?

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 10, 2015

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

GutBomb posted:

I had to put my winters on early due to an "unrepairable" nail in one of the tires. Luckily it has already been staying well below 70. Going to get 2-4" tomorrow, but it's a holiday so I don't have to deal with idiots on ice.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Mariana Horchata posted:

also have to figure out what to use for oil/filter...I don't think I've bought any motor oil that isn't Rotella T6 5W40 in years and either Purolator/Mann filters.

Motorcraft 5w20 synthetic blend and motorcraft fl-910s filter. $18 total at walmart.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I picked up a 2016 GTI about a week ago. Been having a blast with it. It also has low profiles. Right now it has Pirelli Cinturato P7 all-season tires on from the dealer. Reviews say they're decent in light snow. I live in Denver, and we get snow, but it doesn't stay packed like other places. It's off the roads by the afternoon and then the next day it's 60 and it all melts off.

My wife has an old AWD RAV4 that we put Michelin Premiers on and it does fine. But this is my first car with big rims and low profile tires and outsize horsepower (closest thing I've had before was an RX-7 but that was in the Bay Area), so I didn't know they were that much worse in the snow.

If I go to the mountains I'm taking the RAV4 obviously.

Am I doomed?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Riven posted:

Am I doomed?
The lovely mk4 Golf that gets me around in the Minnesota winters got stuck zero times on Michelin Assurance tires last year, and our snow sticks around a bunch. You're probably okay, but if you wanna get a winter wheel/tire set, that'd be prudent (it's what I plan on doing).

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

GutBomb posted:

Motorcraft 5w20 synthetic blend and motorcraft fl-910s filter. $18 total at walmart.

Danke...I was getting sick of semi-expensive oil changes/1,000mi top-offs anyways.

Also am I correct in assuming that I am SOL regarding the ST Octane Academy offer actually now being null and void considering Miller Motorsports Park is now sold/closed...any chance/knowledge regarding if they will relocate and still honor new ST purchases post 10/31/15? I know you are given one calendar year to get in on that.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
VW/'16 GTI question

1- can a dealership tell if you've previously had a tune and flashed it back to stock?

most of the internet seems to say 'yes'

2- if so, is there such a thing as a 'mod' friendly dealership?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
It depends on what you're bringing it in for. If it's an engine warranty related repair they are going to catch it. If it's maintenance they are likely not to even notice unless they try to flash your ECU and it fails.

That being said, why take it to the dealership for anything but warranty work?

vains
May 26, 2004

GutBomb posted:

It depends on what you're bringing it in for. If it's an engine warranty related repair they are going to catch it. If it's maintenance they are likely not to even notice unless they try to flash your ECU and it fails.

my main concern is warranty work, specifically not voiding the powertrain warranty

also, some vw dealers are also apr dealers.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

GutBomb posted:

Be careful, it seems as though VW is plugging cars into the computer every time it rolls in and if it has been flashed (even back to stock) they can tell. They can then flag a TD1 code and then your warranty becomes nebulous.

There are mod friendly dealers, yes, I haven't had experience with one but I do have a '16 GTI with a JB1 and DP so I figure it's a matter of time. No one has a tune for the '16 cars yet, also screw APR.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 11, 2015

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
crossposting from the new car thread:

In interesting car news

quote:

Ford Performance is watching reaction to the new Focus RS closely before signing off an even quicker limited-run special.

Ford insiders have confirmed that an even more hardcore version of the 345bhp five-door is under consideration - and it has the potential to be the fastest-accelerating hatchback in history.

Ford’s options for bringing extra grip, performance and excitement to the new RS will be delivered mainly through weight saving and upgrading the RS’s drivetrain. This will be possible in a car with an asking price that could even eclipse the £40,000 of the Ford’s premium-branded opposition.

However, the car’s 2.3-litre four-cylinder turbo petrol engine is already operating close to its maximum and attempts to conjure more power will be hampered by the lack of room for additional cooling capacity.

Because budget constraints have limited Ford’s weight-saving options with the standard RS, there’s plenty of potential for improving the car’s power-to-weight ratio by adding lightness to a more expensive version.

Polycarbonate glazing, carbonfibre-reinforced plastic bodywork, forged aluminium suspension componentry, carbonfibre brakes, less noise insulation and a stripped-out interior could take upwards of 100kg out of the car - even after the drivetrain additions under consideration have 
been grafted on.

Those additions are likely to consist of an electronically controlled limited-slip differential for the front axle, tuned to work with the GKN-supplied rear drive unit, and 
a dual-clutch automatic gearbox. A limited-slip front-axle differential is already known to improve the RS’s handling and was under consideration for the standard car, an insider has revealed.

The obvious paddle-shift gearbox option would be Ford’s Powershift transmission, supplied by Getrag, but it is currently rated for engines with peak torque of 332lb ft, so it would need some modification.

Ford’s performance targets for the super-heated RS will be to make it quicker over the benchmark 0-62mph sprint than the latest Mercedes-AMG A45 (4.2sec) and the Audi RS3 (4.3sec). The regular RS’s claim (4.7sec) would suggest there’s plenty to do to meet that target, but company insiders have confirmed that even the standard car is much closer to Germany’s big hitters when fitted with optional 19in forged wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 semi-slick tyres.

If the potential is there to make the Focus the first hot hatch since the 2010 Subaru Cosworth Impreza STI CS400 to break the 4.0sec 0-62mph barrier, expect Ford to seize it.

:monocle:

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Jesus Christ give me a paddle shifting RS with Porsche-width tires.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

I salute anyone willing to pay over 60 grand for a stupid fast focus.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Optimus Subprime posted:

I salute anyone willing to pay over 60 grand for a stupid fast focus.

I don't see it being more expensive than the GT350. I'm not all that huge on "you could get this car for that much money!" comparisons, especially when it comes to different classes of cars, but there's no way I'd take an RS+++++ over a GT350 at the same price point.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Ringo Star Get posted:

Jesus Christ give me a paddle shifting RS with Porsche-width tires.

Step 1: Buy Focus RS.
Step 2: Buy wider wheels and tires.
Step 3: Buy http://www.tunersgroup.com/tunerwire_live/sss_sequential.html
Step 4: ???
Step 5: Die gloriously

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

I only bases that price on the 40k pounds stated in the article.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Optimus Subprime posted:

I only bases that price on the 40k pounds stated in the article.

You can't really go by exchange rates outside of boutique manufacturers. There are a lot of other factors in play.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Hey Focus people, I've got some stuff I don't want anymore. If there is any interest, I'll do the rules-approved thing and post a thread in SA-Mart with pictures but if there's no interest I don't want to bother.

- Active Shift Designs throttle pedal spacer
- OEM Focus Electric rear motor mount (aka roll restrictor)
- Cobb rear motor mount (aka roll restrictor)

I tried and failed to find an upgraded motor mount for my 1.0 3cyl Focus but the vibrations were too much. They should be fine in a 4 banger.

Dark Solux
Dec 8, 2004

Old School Saturn God

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Hey Focus people, I've got some stuff I don't want anymore. If there is any interest, I'll do the rules-approved thing and post a thread in SA-Mart with pictures but if there's no interest I don't want to bother.

- Active Shift Designs throttle pedal spacer
- OEM Focus Electric rear motor mount (aka roll restrictor)
- Cobb rear motor mount (aka roll restrictor)

I tried and failed to find an upgraded motor mount for my 1.0 3cyl Focus but the vibrations were too much. They should be fine in a 4 banger.

I am interested in the pedal spacer.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Dark Solux posted:

I am interested in the pedal spacer.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3751657

vains
May 26, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

Be careful, it seems as though VW is plugging cars into the computer every time it rolls in and if it has been flashed (even back to stock) they can tell. They can then flag a TD1 code and then your warranty becomes nebulous.

There are mod friendly dealers, yes, I haven't had experience with one but I do have a '16 GTI with a JB1 and DP so I figure it's a matter of time. No one has a tune for the '16 cars yet, also screw APR.

are jb1s detectable?

what are the options?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

are jb1s detectable?

what are the options?

Not if you unplug it before you take it in, which takes about five minutes.

The options are plugin unit or nothing for a 2016+ right now. I'm waiting for the IS38 swap to become more documented and an out of the box tune to be available. 400hp sounds pretty good to me - $1300 for the turbo and whatever for the tune. The JB is supposed to be able to support it soon, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
For the second time the steering wheel in my FiST has gone off-center. It's several degrees to the left, the same as when the car was delivered; but it was fully-centered after the alignment I had the dealership do. Now after some hard driving and 3500 miles, it's back to chilling out crooked. anyone have this issue before? poo poo job by the dealership tightening the eccentric bolts?