Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

bobbilljim posted:

finally, if you want to compile poo poo arch linux is a good distro. there's no reason to use gentoo

Mr Dog posted:

Use arch

If you must be a sperg then at least don't pointlessly waste your time in the process

nosl posted:

while not being a piece of broken, vulnerable poo poo maintained by hipsters.

Nice try

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
using gentoo as fine asl ong as you know it's a hobbie

i enjoy using vim and emacs and tweaking my terminal settings. i dont think it makes me better than anyone, i just enjoy it.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Soricidus posted:

ubuntu update: driven by the desperate need to have something, anything, that is not unity, I have been forced to give gnome 3 a proper chance and have discovered that it is in fact pretty good these days

when are they going to scrap it all and start on gnome 4?

You know how Gnome 3 wanted to target tablet users?

Pictured: the target user of Gnome 4

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Soricidus posted:

ubuntu update: driven by the desperate need to have something, anything, that is not unity, I have been forced to give gnome 3 a proper chance and have discovered that it is in fact pretty good these days

when are they going to scrap it all and start on gnome 4?
well, gnome 3 was started around gnome 2.32 or so, so two more years or so before it's about time to start working on gnome 4, i'd say?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

nosl posted:

broken, vulnerable poo poo maintained by hipsters.

but enough about debian

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
debian: why do one thing well when you can do three things poorly

also let's neuter openssh's random number generator because apparently i know more about secure programming than the development team of one of the most security-critical programs in the world

pram
Jun 10, 2001
debian does all kinds of stupid poo poo. like replacing ffmpeg with avconv

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

debian: why do one thing well when you can do three things poorly

also let's neuter openssh's random number generator because apparently i know more about secure programming than the development team of one of the most security-critical programs in the world

uh

the rng thing was in openssl, not openssh. we all know how that turned out

not defending debian, but not defending openssl either

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Barnyard Protein posted:

why isn't the little weird footprint logo everywhere though, like in the olde days? i miss that weird little foot print thing.

why does the foot only have four toes?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Last Chance posted:

amazing that technically nextstep has completely dominated the pc market

yes, it does amaze me that anyone is willing to buy nextstep

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Barnyard Protein posted:

why isn't the little weird footprint logo everywhere though, like in the olde days? i miss that weird little foot print thing.

there is actually a reason for this -- whenever we shoved a gnome logo anywhere, every single distribution and their mother would find a way to replace the logo with their own

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

there is actually a reason for this -- whenever we shoved a gnome logo anywhere, every single distribution and their mother would find a way to replace the logo with their own

sad and terrible

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
yea. so thats why its only in the control center on the info page

where distributions still replace it with their own lovely logo

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Suspicious Dish posted:

should've just made use of the logo and trademark part of the license

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
stallman only cares about a foot if there is some toe jam to pick out of it

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Barnyard Protein posted:

stallman only cares about a foot if there is some toe jam to pick out of it

disgusting

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

should've just made use of the logo and trademark part of the license

i'm struggling to understand what you even mean here

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
if u think about it foot cheese is gratis and libre becasue you know the source and its free

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Suspicious Dish posted:

to use the code you'd have to say your thing is based on gnome and keep the gnome logo intact anywhere it appears

you know, the typical contractual poo poo that comes with the territory for managing a brand, just for some open source software

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Korean Boomhauer posted:

if u think about it foot cheese is gratis and libre becasue you know the source and its free

I know someone who, while cutting his lawn barefoot in the Pacific Northwest, noticed his feet were going numb

just think, he could've cultivated that poo poo into some magic foot fungus

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

eschaton posted:

to use the code you'd have to say your thing is based on gnome and keep the gnome logo intact anywhere it appears

you know, the typical contractual poo poo that comes with the territory for managing a brand, just for some open source software

wouldn't be "free" enough for linux, they'd just stop shipping your code at all

the best you could do would be whatever firefox did that made debian pull their ridiculous iceweasel poo poo

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Soricidus posted:

wouldn't be "free" enough for linux, they'd just stop shipping your code at all

the best you could do would be whatever firefox did that made debian pull their ridiculous iceweasel poo poo

yeah it was exactly that. debian included firefox but without using the mozilla logos or something.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Fifth toe removed for a mushroom patch

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's gimp'ed

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

you can change the default icon and still have the foot in Mate, I have the foot on mine. if that's the killer app you can't do without

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Barnyard Protein posted:

im trying to remember the last time i had to compile source code and i think it was in 2001 to get mozilla to run on solaris 8 x86

i gotta compile stuff on the regular for work b/c we vendorize a lot of our dependencies for cross-platform things and im sick of it (also random academic software)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

it's free software and we can't add additional stipulations to it, because the gpl says you can't additional stipulations

firefox did a similar thing but it's backwards -- "in order to use the firefox logo, you can't patch random software and call it firefox"

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Suspicious Dish posted:

lol

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/11/ars-benchmarks-show-significant-performance-hit-for-steamos-gaming/

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

What happened to the Valve’s optimizations make Linux port of L4D2 outperform Windows version? Is Windows 10 actually faster than 7?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

nosl posted:

Nice try

sounds like you want to use centos, or maybe fedora. the cool thing is you can also compile anything you like manually on any distro (if you want to forgo security and ease of use)

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i have been using fedora on my t450s for java development for the past few days and it is extremely needs suiting. "it just works". the audio works, the minidisplay-port works, the dock ports work. i had to update the wifi firmware for stability issues, but that was pretty simple. it even came pre-installed with `openconnect` so that i can vpn into work's git server / jira / confluence. the only real linux knowledge i've needed so far is basic shell stuff, and `dnf install <whatever>`. pretty nice.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

steamos ships with ancient nvidia drivers for some reason

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

MrMoo posted:

What happened to the Valve’s optimizations make Linux port of L4D2 outperform Windows version? Is Windows 10 actually faster than 7?

Turns out Valve's GL port was incomplete. When they fixed a few bugs to approach parity with D3D, framerate dropped.

Most of this is NVIDIA's GL driver being absolute poo poo, and in some sense, GL being absolute poo poo as well.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

MrMoo posted:

my initial thought is that the Windows games are faster due to the Windows versions of the GPU drivers entirely overriding their rendering pipelines, as they do

I'd expect the performance to be comparable if you could somehow defeat this, people doing benchmarking should really be tracing/disassembling the drivers to get numbers both with and without

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
well duh of course the toy os for babies is better for playing children's games than the serious os for grown-ups with work to do, im not sure why this is news

pram
Jun 10, 2001
what is the point of steam os now that windows 8 and the windows app store are dead

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

insurance for Microsoft's next attempt

or a hedge against the inevitable failure of the Windows platform

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
valve wants to be in a microsoft-like position of power and push hw and gpu vendors around

it's not really working tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

eschaton posted:

my initial thought is that the Windows games are faster due to the Windows versions of the GPU drivers entirely overriding their rendering pipelines, as they do

I'd expect the performance to be comparable if you could somehow defeat this, people doing benchmarking should really be tracing/disassembling the drivers to get numbers both with and without

So Windows drivers entirely overriding game code driver pipeline wasn't a factor when Linux on the desktop was beating Windows but suddenly is a factor when Windows beats Linux?

Sounds legit.