Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sexy Randal posted:

This is a probably a really stupid question but I can't seem to figure it out. How do you know if a new series is going to be a miniseries or not?

Sometimes they are marked issue 1/6 or something like that and it's obvious. But there's a bunch that I started following (Nameless, Chrononauts, We Stand on Guard, Lando) that turned out to be five or six parters and I never seem to know that going in. It wasn't obvious anywhere.

The only reason I'm interested in knowing is because some of those I'd rather have picked up as trades than individual issues.
Generally read coverage of them, or maybe check the solicitations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Sexy Randal posted:

This is a probably a really stupid question but I can't seem to figure it out. How do you know if a new series is going to be a miniseries or not?

Sometimes they are marked issue 1/6 or something like that and it's obvious. But there's a bunch that I started following (Nameless, Chrononauts, We Stand on Guard, Lando) that turned out to be five or six parters and I never seem to know that going in. It wasn't obvious anywhere.

The only reason I'm interested in knowing is because some of those I'd rather have picked up as trades than individual issues.
Use the internet?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sometimes they lie about it, so there's that.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I thought that it sometimes had to do with sales. Some would initially be billed as an ongoing or left vague about its status, and if sales are low or whatnot they will just give a definite end issue and call it a mini.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yup. I've definitely seen "Of 5" suddenly appear under the issue number of supposed ongoings.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A funny example of miniseries number fuckery is the old Punisher mini, Circle of Blood. Because of a series of miscommunications the issue count kept changing on the cover, switching between five and six issues almost every issue.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Wasn't there a comic (GI Joe or Transformers, I'm thinking) that was planned on being six issues, had "of 5" printed on the first couple, so the last issue came out as "6 of 5" as a joke? I wanna say it became an ongoing and eventually ended with something like "32 of 5" printed on the last cover.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Transformers started as a four part series and became an ongoing, last issue said 80 of a four part series.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

Yup. I've definitely seen "Of 5" suddenly appear under the issue number of supposed ongoings.

My favorite thing about Neil Gaiman's Eternals mini was every issue had 1 of 6, 2 of 6, etc. until suddenly it was 6 of 7.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Secret Wars is doing the same, switching from 8 to 9 issues.

To answer the OPs question, you're not going to know without checking really. Some series are launched as ongoing, but because of sales effectively turn into mini-series. Other ongoing series (particularly Image books) will be ongoing but with a defined end point. Others will just be launched as mini-series. The best thing to do is check the cover, check solicitations, or if you're still not sure just ask in the store (or Google if you're not buying digitally).

Marvel are usually quite good at labeling their series as mini-series if they are launched as such.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lurdiak posted:

I think this happened to Doctor Voodoo.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Nonplayer is the most limited series.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
What exactly happened in the last issue of Hellblazer Vertigo? Okay so Constantine used magic to die and revive or fake death or something to trick the Fates and he delivered his wife's bastard father to Satan and at the end he suddenly decided the trick wouldn't work so he tracked down his niece Gemma, who shot him with some kind of syringe dart and then...he disappeared and then ended up as an old man in a pub? This might have been the afterlife?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

He died.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I'm pissed that the new runaways book ran 4 issues and ended.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I just read a comic where Alicia Masters sculpted a likeness of Dr. Doom and Diablo.

Uh... she uses her hands to 'see', right? And these were full body sculptures. Does that mean...

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Lurdiak posted:

I just read a comic where Alicia Masters sculpted a likeness of Dr. Doom and Diablo.

Uh... she uses her hands to 'see', right? And these were full body sculptures. Does that mean...

I going through Lee and Kirby's FF right now, and I don't think it has been explicitly stated thus far (I'm at #75) that she uses her hands to see for sculpting. It's even implied she doesn't need to; at one point, some evil scientist dudes kidnap her so she can sculpt the face of an artificial human they created but can't see. The human is inside a cocoon.

Speaking of which, Stan Lee will spend hundreds of words talking about the Torch's flaming body, and Reed's pliable body, and Sue's invisible force fields, but he never, ever refers to the Thing as having a rock body. Characters and the narrator will often comment on his ugliness, but never anything stone-related, not even when he falls in the water (he falls very often in the water). Does this mean the Thing's body is theoretically not made of rock, but only suffers from a bizarre skin condition? There are many mentions of his bulging muscles, which only makes sense if he's got some sort of flesh, and not rocks.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

As far as I can tell, he was just supposed to be unspecifically lumpy and deformed at first. The Orange Bricks look came later. John Byrne tried to explain this as some evolving mutation, because he loves pulling things out of his rear end and acting like that's the one true way it always was.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

kizudarake posted:

I'm pissed that the new runaways book ran 4 issues and ended.

You mean the four issue miniseries that was done for Secret Wars? It wasn't supposed to be an ongoing.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The Byrneinator was a fussy continuity cop on a level that makes a hypothetical Voltron of Roy Thomas, Geoff Johns, and Dan Slott look like an easy-going Jeph Loeb.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It wouldn't be so bad if he didn't just make weird things up and get things wrong along with his "explanations"

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Lurdiak posted:

As far as I can tell, he was just supposed to be unspecifically lumpy and deformed at first. The Orange Bricks look came later. John Byrne tried to explain this as some evolving mutation, because he loves pulling things out of his rear end and acting like that's the one true way it always was.

The legend goes that it was one of Kirby's inkers that made him look that way. I don't know if it was an artistic choice, or a happy accident.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Die Laughing posted:

The legend goes that it was one of Kirby's inkers that made him look that way. I don't know if it was an artistic choice, or a happy accident.

I can see that. His appearance in the spectrum between lumpy and rocky is definitely determined by who's inking any given issue.

George Bell in issue 21 is the first guy to draw the Thing with jagged edges, as far as I can tell.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the original idea was that it would super-tough hide, like that of an elephant or a rhinoceros, but the rocks were easier to draw quickly? (Not sure about the second part, pretty confident on the first.)

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Lurdiak posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if he didn't just make weird things up and get things wrong along with his "explanations"

My big problem with Byrne's continuity cop tendencies is how he sees himself as the one true arbiter of it. When he gets his hands on something, he tends to reset it to the original status quo or as you pointed out, what he perceives to be the original status quo.

Sandman can't be the reformed drinking buddy of the Thing because Lee and Ditko had him as a villain, so he has to have been faking it all along in a way that would make Vince McMahon blush. The Morrison poo poo got away from the Drake/Premiani Doom Patrol, even though it was a logical next step for what they were doing, and even though Arnold Drake said he liked Morrison's comics, so that has to go. The modern Etrigan was probably more influenced by his appearances in Swamp Thing than the original Kirby comics, so that has to be cut away too.

He's quite petulant about characters changing over time, unless he's involved. His She-Hulk is way different from the Lee/Buscema version but that's just how the narrative evolves! When other people do that, it's because they're decadent hacks who want to make superhero comics unfriendly for children. His posting on his forum is basically a 15 year tantrum about how if only Marvel and DC let him run the joint, things would be COOKING!

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 14, 2015

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Lightning Lord posted:

His She-Hulk is way different from the Lee/Buscema version but that's just how the narrative evolves!

Yeah, but also way better.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Dr. Hurt posted:

You mean the four issue miniseries that was done for Secret Wars? It wasn't supposed to be an ongoing.

I mean, they printed it as a miniseries, but it was supposed to be an ongoing.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Unmature posted:

Yeah, but also way better.

Well, I'm not arguing otherwise, I'm just saying Byrne is a pretty big hypocrite. When he massively changes the concept behind a superhero, it's fun and games but when that other guy does it, it's decadent and making GBS threads on what that character's supposed to be! Time to get back to basics, or at least his personal perception of basics!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

kizudarake posted:

According to whom?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

kizudarake posted:

All of the Secret Wars tie-ins were meant as minis.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

According to whom?

I'm using 'supposed to be' in the sense that 'in a just world, we would have an ongoing Runaways book instead of a 4 issue mini.' Jesus Christ.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

kizudarake posted:

I'm using 'supposed to be' in the sense that 'in a just world, we would have an ongoing Runaways book instead of a 4 issue mini.' Jesus Christ.

So, according to you, then.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
How was Runaways? Almost every single Secret Wars tie-in looked great and I have a finite amount of money so that one fell through the cracks

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Cyphoderus posted:

I going through Lee and Kirby's FF right now, and I don't think it has been explicitly stated thus far (I'm at #75) that she uses her hands to see for sculpting. It's even implied she doesn't need to; at one point, some evil scientist dudes kidnap her so she can sculpt the face of an artificial human they created but can't see. The human is inside a cocoon.

This panel happened a page after showing a studio full of statues of various heroes and villains, including Namor in his tiny swim trunks. I guess they just don't think about it.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Skwirl posted:

How was Runaways? Almost every single Secret Wars tie-in looked great and I have a finite amount of money so that one fell through the cracks

A group of students from a Doom-controlled training camp/education facility find out their "expelled" classmates are being permanently "expelled" and, ... run away.

It's a good setup for a series, but if you're specifically looking for more Chase or Nico or Gert, it'll be less satisfying than even Avengers Arena. For whatever reason, alt-universe Runaways stories tend to bring in more concepts from X-Men student books and Young Avengers than from their actual namesake.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Runaways was good more because Noelle Stevenson has a much better feel for the teenager/school class dynamic than the average comic writer than because of any strong ties to the actual Runaways book. I wish she could've kept it going, or gotten a chance to write a similar ongoing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It did a good job of capturing the feel of the original without featuring much from it besides Molly and Leapfrog.
It also had one of the better depictions of Val as both evil genius AND little kid I can recall.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

So, according to you, then.

And a couple others in the thread.

I actually started picking it up because the Wikipedia runaways page didn't list that it was a mini.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kizudarake posted:

And a couple others in the thread.

I actually started picking it up because the Wikipedia runaways page didn't list that it was a mini.

Every single Secret Wars tie in book was a mini series. Some were later announced to be getting a follow up book post SW but not a single one was ever said to be an ongoing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The Goblin That Eats Clean-Line Pencillers Once Per Decade can only wake up if people get into too many internet slapfights about meaningless bullshit, so we should all just agree that one or more people made a mistake somewhere in this Runaways conversation, then drop the subject, like civilized adults.

You already killed Mike Parobeck and Mike Wieringo, people. Don't kill again with this conversation.