Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Nakar posted:

The theft sensors do indeed go off if you get even kinda near them. Watch one of In It For The Tank's videos where he runs past an AA gun and the alarm goes off. They're pretty decent in that a lot of times they're scattered all over platforms even if there's no gun/container/nuke to steal, so a person could easily overlook it. The downside is all it does is trigger a standard search alert, not a combat alert, so a player can wait it out.

Sure, but with long range weapons, if a search alert is triggered the snipers start scanning with scopes/binoculars, which makes it MUCH more easy for them to spot an invader, particularly from BS angles where they obviously only caught like a pixel of snake's foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
You know, with the way FOB invasions work (getting warned about an invader going after you/your buddies FOB) I'm shocked Konami hasn't made some MGSV app which warns you when your FOB is under attack.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
got invaded for the first time ever while I was offline and some kind soul came to my rescue and successfully defended my FOB and it still gave me a bunch of resources for doing nothing.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

El Hefe posted:

got invaded for the first time ever while I was offline and some kind soul came to my rescue and successfully defended my FOB and it still gave me a bunch of resources for doing nothing.

Its win-win to defend; the defender gets a bonus for fighting off the invader (which is a cinch) and the owner of the FOB gets resources as well.

Defending FOBS seems to be reliant on bored players wanting to get resources for an almost-guaranteed victory. You'd think there'd be more people chomping at the bit, but I guess it really depends on the time; myself and people who counter-invade me tend to invade FOBS when defenders are not around.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The trick is to get international supporters but it's hard to gauge where somebody is from. Hitting G on PC takes you to their Steam profile, and I think there's ways to get a guess at their location on console, but I'm not sure. Pick a bunch of people in America, Europe, and Japan as high-rank as you can find and hope they support you back, and you'll basically always be covered no matter the time zone. Clearing out your Supporting list every few days except people who have done you back is a good idea; I find for every 15-20 people I support I get 1-2 people doing it back.

If you just want to support somebody else, pick the highest-ranked and best-looking FOB you can find, preferably off the time zone of its owner (i.e. if you're in America, support a Japanese player). People love targeting FOBs of people who aren't online and you can give them a nasty surprise because they can't identify whether someone has Supporters when they invade (whereas they can tell if a person is online, more or less, by checking their profile on Steam/PSN/XBL).

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Panfilo posted:

You know, with the way FOB invasions work (getting warned about an invader going after you/your buddies FOB) I'm shocked Konami hasn't made some MGSV app which warns you when your FOB is under attack.

The game takes so long to boot up you won't ever be able to make it in time

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Backup, Back Down continues to annoy me. I was all ready to extract the third tank for the side objective and it plain just never spawned.

Wtf. Any idea why this may have happened?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Why does the 100 fulton limit apply to helicopter evacs? At least CT and DD enjoyed the ride which caused a paradox into MA.
Having an overloaded Brig seems to extend the time it takes to convert everyone. I had over 100 and it took about 3 hours. Even considering the separate missions, they trickled in until the final batch.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
It looks like there have been a lot of updates and feature additions since I put this game down a while back.

Can we use Pequod to travel directly between chopper waypoints yet?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Raxivace posted:

Backup, Back Down continues to annoy me. I was all ready to extract the third tank for the side objective and it plain just never spawned.

Wtf. Any idea why this may have happened?

Did you destroy/extract every target during the time limit to trigger the wave of reinforcements? If so then I guess it was a bug? After you've technically beaten the mission by extracting/destroying all targets, a wave of reinforcements comes in which includes one gunship and 3 tanks. The few times I've gotten the reinforcements on that mission, they all spawn.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The tanks (and other vehicles) spawn off the map and drive in. I've noticed the occasional glitch with vehicles spawning outside the map and never coming in. If it's not in LOS at the map barrier you're screwed.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Update: Did mission 11 three more times and it switched to Reunion.

Got Quiet back, now to never use her because DD's marking is so much more efficient.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Did you destroy/extract every target during the time limit to trigger the wave of reinforcements? If so then I guess it was a bug? After you've technically beaten the mission by extracting/destroying all targets, a wave of reinforcements comes in which includes one gunship and 3 tanks. The few times I've gotten the reinforcements on that mission, they all spawn.

Yeah I was triggering the reinforcements. I would get the gunship and two of the tanks, but the one near Wakh Sind wouldn't spawn for some reason.

Somewhat Nachos
Oct 18, 2004

#wifematerial
Late game resource requirement are ridiculous. I just calculated how much of each resource I need to finish developing everything, and it's like 1.3mil common metal and many hundreds of thousands of everything else (this is including finishing FOB2). On the other hand, I have apparently capped at 30mil GMP with nothing to spend it on. They really should have let you buy resources, even if only at ridiculous prices.

Raxivace posted:

Yeah I was triggering the reinforcements. I would get the gunship and two of the tanks, but the one near Wakh Sind wouldn't spawn for some reason.
How long did you wait? This happened to me any time I didn't deal with the truck carrying the CMG, but once it left the map the tank came in.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Raxivace posted:

That happened to me once. I don't know if it's caused by taking out the gunship quickly or what, but every other time I tried I got all three to spawn when I didn't go nuts shooting things right away.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

FinalTitan posted:

Late game resource requirement are ridiculous. I just calculated how much of each resource I need to finish developing everything, and it's like 1.3mil common metal and many hundreds of thousands of everything else (this is including finishing FOB2). On the other hand, I have apparently capped at 30mil GMP with nothing to spend it on. They really should have let you buy resources, even if only at ridiculous prices.

If you have GMP and need resources you can always try raiding a FOB and just stealing every container in site. That poo poo will add up fast.

Somewhat Nachos
Oct 18, 2004

#wifematerial

Chomp8645 posted:

If you have GMP and need resources you can always try raiding a FOB and just stealing every container in site. That poo poo will add up fast.
Good point. I've been doing nothing but FOB missions the past few days since getting 100%, but I've been so focused on finding effective ways to get the the end that I never really considered stopping to steal stuff. Time to farm some base development platforms, I suppose.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Thankfully you're not actually missing out on anything by not developing those late game items, getting slightly more armor from the combat suit or doing slightly more damage with a weapon isn't going to change anything, I feel like those items are there just as a way for Konami to get people on the spectrum to buy MB coins.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
all rich folk are on the spectrum

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Panfilo posted:

It'll cost MB Coins you have to redeem for an app store code

I finally beat Extreme Traitor's Caravan. I had the genius idea to bring D Walker, set him to intercept, and fight alongside him while I steal a tank.

A skull teleported up to him and cut him in half with a single hit. Then he killed my tank. Then I just took the other tank and ran away as fast as possible to win (Like I did the first time)

Also for D Walker - for some reason I assumed the intercept head would give you the benefits of all previous heads. I wanted D Walker to mark stuff for me and was pretty disappointed it didn't... do I have to just basically use the Marking head for that?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The heads don't share abilities. You can have cloaking, scanning, or intercept, but not all three.

Intercept is gimmicky and useless and it's not that hard to park D-Walker where it won't be found, so I'd say always go with the scan head.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

Augus posted:

You sorely overestimate how quickly the vast majority of people doing invasions move.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Nakar posted:

The heads don't share abilities. You can have cloaking, scanning, or intercept, but not all three.

Intercept is gimmicky and useless and it's not that hard to park D-Walker where it won't be found, so I'd say always go with the scan head.

drat I thought it would be straight upgrades. Yeah Intercept just got him killed, I'll do scanning head. Does it basically turn it into D Dog except I can ride it cuz that seems awesome

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Quoting myself because this probably got glanced over:

beedeebee posted:

Is there a MG: Online thread anywhere? I just started playing that and kinda like it. Would love to see some tips etc.

Also this:

Augus posted:

It's crazy. Acept the T&A, click Next 8 times for all the news about the updates. Get to the start menu, select: MG: Online. Click yes on the prompt that you are sure you want to play online. Then another loading screen, then you're in free roam. You don't want that. Bring up the iDroid and find a match. Exhausting.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

drat I thought it would be straight upgrades. Yeah Intercept just got him killed, I'll do scanning head. Does it basically turn it into D Dog except I can ride it cuz that seems awesome
It doesn't scan automatically, you have to get off and order it. The good news is the scan distance is huge, it's like a giant cone 200m long so it will usually mark entire bases. The markings are also permanent instead of the temporary ones DD puts up. It's a little less convenient but in exchange you get to ride around on an all-terrain vehicle faster than cars, so I'd say it's worth it once you get used to it.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

No. Unfortunately D-Walker's various heads can only be activated while it is stationary and you are not riding it. Search Mode is a slower, stationary version of D-Dog's automatic marking. Search Mode is still the most useful head (because, like nakar says, Intercept Mode is pitiful) but D-Walker's strengths come when you're riding it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh well. It's still useful to have a disposable, reusable vehicle that is the fastest thing in the game and once you get further along the base fitout cost (5000 gmp or so, the most expensive change is adding armor not the other parts) is nothing.

When I have D Walker I don't feel like I need to go back to the ACC, I just zoom along there.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Adding scanning to the intercept head feels like something modders might be able to get going, but who knows if the scene is dead now or what with Fallout 4 released.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Looks like the December update will bring some... interesting FOB changes. User-placed defense items, gameplay reward challenges, and the ability to finally support friends directly are all nice, but the other stuff... uh, well, I guess we'll see how that goes.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I'm on Windows and I just have the game alt-tabbed out running in the background

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I finally beat Extreme Traitor's Caravan. I had the genius idea to bring D Walker, set him to intercept, and fight alongside him while I steal a tank.

Not just for you, but for everyone, I can't stress this enough: use Armor Parasites, use them, they're soooo good, they trivialize any mission where you are concerned about taking damage, and they don't prevent S Rank. Only Camo Parasites prevent S Rank.

I did all the side objectives on Mission 45: Quiet Exit with a handful of Armor Parasites and an Uragan Air Soft pistol (that thing his hilarious by the way, popping people with a handgun and watching them fly back unconscious is great), and I was just taking tank shells to the face even from the elite or upgraded tanks and armored vehicles.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dont understand how im only C+ ranked when I have been in the top 30 ranked players for a month now. I see plenty of CC ranks that are only in the top 150.

My FOB is lvl 49-50 so im definitely winning lots of mock battles or whatever those are called.

also Moola if your steam is the same as here I think I murdered your base.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Nov 16, 2015

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ambivalent posted:

Not just for you, but for everyone, I can't stress this enough: use Armor Parasites, use them, they're soooo good, they trivialize any mission where you are concerned about taking damage, and they don't prevent S Rank. Only Camo Parasites prevent S Rank.

I did all the side objectives on Mission 45: Quiet Exit with a handful of Armor Parasites and an Uragan Air Soft pistol (that thing his hilarious by the way, popping people with a handgun and watching them fly back unconscious is great), and I was just taking tank shells to the face even from the elite or upgraded tanks and armored vehicles.

Unfortunately I have never farmed a parasite in my life and am scared off by the fact that I have to farm missions over and over to reuse them. I'll keep this in mind for the later bullshit though

Do you just do Metallic Archaea a bunch

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Unfortunately I have never farmed a parasite in my life and am scared off by the fact that I have to farm missions over and over to reuse them. I'll keep this in mind for the later bullshit though

Do you just do Metallic Archaea a bunch

I did Metallic Archaea once I got the ability to extract skulls, did Extreme Metallic Archaea (using a Tank + Quiet), you get 16 parasites from each mission (4 for each Skull, 4 skulls extracted extracted), pretty sure you only need like 12 to research max rank Armor. I then also got a TON of armor parasites (and a ton of S Rank guys) by trying to get the conversation side objective in regular Traitors Caravan) and it wasn't triggering for me (I finally got it by just going inside the airport instead of listening to the first conversation from a hill outside the airport).

I understand your hesitance, I'm a hoarder too and have a hard time using anything that 'expends' charges or resources, but by the time I S Ranked + All Objectives both Traitors Caravan versions, and Extreme Metallic Archaea etc. I have like 110 Armor Parasites.

Mist Parasites are pretty nifty too, it's like an instant Sandstorm but you can still get S Rank (which you can't do if you use Support Team to create a sandstorm). A bit of a crutch compared to just 'Sneak Better' but can be handy for taking down huge groups of people without triggering combat alerts. Downside is it is annoying to get more Mist Parasites, since I'm pretty sure you can only get them in the Honeybee Mission and the one where you rescue Miller, which take a bit of time.

I haven't even researched the Camo Parasites, because I heard it is just flat out way worse than Stealth Camo.

Overall, I've had way more fun with the Parasite suit than I thought I would, I thought they'd be boring or dumb, but it's actually cool.

Only thing I wish was that you could get the Machete for yourself, instead of having to strap it on to D-Walker

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Nov 16, 2015

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Moola posted:

rofl if you don't instead just look around at the hills and mountains and derive a story from observing how the world has changed over time, just lol

wow if you need external stimuli for your stories and don't attune yourself to the atoms in your body and listen to their narratives since they came into existence in the Big Bang. Just wow and maybe you should drink bleach and give your brain a real workout. Idiot!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

TheMaestroso posted:

That happened to me once. I don't know if it's caused by taking out the gunship quickly or what, but every other time I tried I got all three to spawn when I didn't go nuts shooting things right away.

FinalTitan posted:

How long did you wait? This happened to me any time I didn't deal with the truck carrying the CMG, but once it left the map the tank came in.

I waited a couple minutes and then just gave up. Figured it would be easier to try doing the mission again, and it was. I had no issues getting it to spawn once I flew in at the northern most checkpoint, oddly enough. Seems that other people online have reported similar conditions to get the Wakh Sind tank to spawn when it should. Must be a glitch or something, I dunno.

Anyways, I'm now officially done with both versions of Backup, Back Down! The "rescue the six prisoners" side objective feels like a full mission in its own right, though whoever had the bright idea to stick a prisoner in the underground portion of the Wakh Sind Barracks needs to be slapped. How do they actually expect you to think to look for her there in that mission?

In fact any time a side objective for any mission has you go to Wakh Sind, I have to wonder what the developers were thinking. It's a cool setpiece and I like the fortress setup, but they really like making you go out of your way there sometimes for no reason. I think the mission to rescue Kaz had you do that too? It just seems especially counter-intuitive in Backup, Back Down since most of that mission is on a timer, and has you away from that general area as well.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dareon posted:

Think we can all agree the guy pulling out the rocket launcher is unnecessary, though. Yes, they need it for the next cutscene, but come on, really?

I think they expected much more resistance than a swarm of innocent doctors

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Just to doublecheck, but Mission 45 (and 46) is the absolute end of game/storyline, correct?

I mean, besides the cut mission that you can watch on Youtube.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Umm, I have another Mission 43 question. So I knew that Quiet leaves at some point, but won't if I used the butterfly in my emblem. So I did, in the thoughts that I'd just turn it off later when I was done with side ops and missions. Accordingly, Quiet stuck around. I later learned that Mission 43 is the the trigger for her buzzing off. I did 43 a bit earlier.

Now that you can get Quiet back, I figured there was no need to put off progress in the game and so I changed up my emblem. Then I went and ran a mission. Quiet is still here.

Is there some way I can induce her to leave, or have I just like locked myself out of 100% completion after 100+ hours in game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just do a few missions and keep returning to motherbase. I was in the same situation.

• Locked thread