Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

stringball posted:

I'm on an i5 quad, 8 gigs of ram, an HD6900 (yes I'm aware it's old but others say they can play decently on it. Game is on an SSD too and loading screens are sometimes shorter than my freezes!

I would love any help!!!

Going out on a limb here, but it might be your 5 year old video card????????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well I've now seen the most horrifying thing of all in the Commonwealth Wasteland; an intact and stable Vault :suspense:. I was waiting for the other shoe to drop and find out they were all cannibals or something until I found the Old Overseer's Terminal. Where is the hidden chamber with the scientists and Curie, out of curiosity?

Find the cat, it will lead you to the truth.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

New Leaf posted:

So last night, I killed a Legendary Viscous Mongrel who was hiding in a house while I was scavenging and got.. nothing. Absolutely nothing. No super loot. Just mongrel meat. That's really loving lame. Not like it was a hard fight, and not like I needed more useless garbage which is what I normally get from Legendaries, but it was Legendary. The only thing I can figure is that he happened to mutate while I was in VATS and I killed him in the same time span. Maybe mutations change their drop tier and it hadn't had a chance to re-roll?

I've never got anything cool off of mirelurk queens or behemoths, and they're one of a kind enemies that don't respawn

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Otacon posted:

Going out on a limb here, but it might be your 5 year old video card????????

Its not those cards are fine, i have a hd6970 and with only 4gb of ram and game runs fine at mix of medium/ultra. (Ultra lighting and textures) get about 45-60 at 1080p in the wastelands and it drops to 30ish in towns. Game specs are way overblown. Havent had a crash yet but i suspect any crashing is just classic beth tech with a messy system full of poo poo.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

New Leaf posted:

So last night, I killed a Legendary Viscous Mongrel who was hiding in a house while I was scavenging and got.. nothing. Absolutely nothing. No super loot. Just mongrel meat. That's really loving lame. Not like it was a hard fight, and not like I needed more useless garbage which is what I normally get from Legendaries, but it was Legendary. The only thing I can figure is that he happened to mutate while I was in VATS and I killed him in the same time span. Maybe mutations change their drop tier and it hadn't had a chance to re-roll?

I shot a legendary feral ghoul and his buddy, and both their inventories were missing/locked :saddowns:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Oh man, I wish I could have Ironsides as a companion.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

frajaq posted:

What the hell was that Cabot House questline :psyduck:

Absolutely disappointing is what it was. It could have been resolved in so many ways if it was written by Obsidian or anyone competent. Hell, the fact that both choices, despite being polar opposites, lead to the same outcome is peak Bethesda.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I figure before I get this I should get around to playing New Vegas first. Are there any must have mods I should use, or just go vanilla?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Broken Cog posted:

Oh man, I wish I could have Ironsides as a companion.

I'd follow Captain Ironsides to hell, I would :patriot:.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well I've now seen the most horrifying thing of all in the Commonwealth Wasteland; an intact and stable Vault :suspense:. I was waiting for the other shoe to drop and find out they were all cannibals or something until I found the Old Overseer's Terminal. Where is the hidden chamber with the scientists and Curie, out of curiosity?

Go to the reactor room and talk to both people there.
Donate blood in the medical area.
Leave the vault and come back in and the event to find Curie should begin.

ps dont let the mole rats hit you or you will lose 10hp permanently unless you use the cure on yourself.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bakanogami posted:

I figure before I get this I should get around to playing New Vegas first. Are there any must have mods I should use, or just go vanilla?

you can't run in that game by default and you should really look into changing that

I dunno that I'd really recommend playing it directly before fallout 4 tho because all three of the more recent fallout games are very much the same thing. you'd burn yourself out before you even begin

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

Kimmalah posted:

I have the BoS uniform underneath my combat armor and it all goes together pretty well (plus it has its own resistances). I'll just be glad when I can snag one that isn't that orange-red color.

Can the armor pieces like that be painted at all? I know the power armor can be and I know someone said something about doing that. I finally found a paint mixer at least. :v:

Say goodbye to orange:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/510/

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

so I'm doing the first quest for the institute with their courser, and halfway through talking to him him he just abruptly stops and goes into combat mode. curious, I follow him and find that he's pissed at a brotherhood vertird that's flying around a while off. he just starts opening fire on the thing, drawing them over. now I'm getting a little worried because I don't want to piss off the brotherhood (yet), but as it turns out they don't count me and him as being on the same side. so he's just dumping lasers into the thing and takes out a gunner as they drop off two power armor guys. the vertibird starts flying into the ocean (for all I know it's still there) and the power armor guys and my npc companion get into a fire fight. the fight moves near some raiders and the brotherhood and my npc call a temporary truce to kill them, but then they start going at it again after those guys die. unfortunately for my npc guy, he's awful and just getting murdered by the brotherhood. unfortunately for the brotherhood, he's invincible and keeps getting back up. they're still going at it and it's been like 10+ minutes of the brotherhood people killing him over and over again while I sit here dying of laughter over this stupid, stupid game

e: he finally killed one. the second is at about 9/10 of his health

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Nov 16, 2015

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
So I just got to the institute and Shuan seems to be implying that he set Kellog up so one parent could avenge the other, but I don't really see what he had to do with any of that unless Nick really is a Institute plant of some kind. Also the rest of vault 111 where left to die on purpose but I'm not sure how they were any kind of loose end when absolutely none of them had any idea what the gently caress was going on with the vault, much less the kidnapping.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Someone post a save game file where your dude looks like John Cena or some other equally hateable wrestler man. I need to live out my dreams of being a Chem addict who guys around punching everything.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Gerblyn posted:

I'm using a joypad, and never moving at full speed. I dunno if there's a threshold I'm going over? At level 22 or so I can get the perk which negates movement penalties for sneaking, and I'm curious to see what effect it will have.

I looked around to see if anyone else is having the issue, and there are a bunch of complaints that sneaking is too hard, mixed with people saying sneaking is easy if you use a sniper rifle. It's without doubt much harder to sneak in this game than in Skyrim, I playing that a few weeks back and backstabbed people all over the place.

sneaking is actually quite hilarious once you get a few points in the perk and/or shadowed/chameleon armor. often enemies dont see me until they literally bump into me. (hard difficulty)

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

everything curie says is the best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2HOZdd5SY4

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Manatee Cannon posted:

so I'm doing the first quest for the institute with their courser, and halfway through talking to him him he just abruptly stops and goes into combat mode. curious, I follow him and find that he's pissed at a brotherhood vertird that's flying around a while off. he just starts opening fire on the thing, drawing them over. now I'm getting a little worried because I don't want to piss off the brotherhood (yet), but as it turns out they don't count me and him as being on the same side. so he's just dumping lasers into the thing and takes out a gunner as they drop off two power armor guys. the vertibird starts flying into the ocean (for all I know it's still there) and the power armor guys and my npc companion get into a fire fight. the fight moves near some raiders and the brotherhood and my npc call a temporary truce to kill them, but then they start going at it again after those guys die. unfortunately for my npc guy, he's awful and just getting murdered by the brotherhood. unfortunately for the brotherhood, he's invincible and keeps getting back up. they're still going at it and it's been like 10+ minutes of the brotherhood people killing him over and over again while I sit here dying of laughter over this stupid, stupid game

e: he finally killed one. the second is at about 9/10 of his health

It's even worse(better) than that. You can kill any BoS / Synth you see in the field and the main base won't care until you commit to a faction. They won't even care the next time they see you in the world. They will still be friendly.

Or just watch them all duke it out and collect the spoils.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Don't suppose there is a graphical mod or something that fixes the horrible blurring when you move with good antialiasing on? It's such a loving strain on the eyes.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Turn of motion blur in the launcher.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
I'm glad I took off godrays. It looks better. I got horrible pixelated glowy edges around objects wherever the sun was shining.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

This thread is to fast to keep up with, but I want to correct the impression that melee is not viable - I think its actually incredibly fun. Just finished the game yesterday at ca. level 60 after a full melee play through. I only played on normal difficulty, but it was almost to easy at the end.
I did a high agility/luck build, with medium strength, something like 5/1/4/1/1/9/7 to start. Later I added enough per and int for lock picking and hacking, and in the last levels strength to 11. You get levels faster with idiot savant than with int, and you can spend many points on combat abilities / special since you do not spend any on gun building, science or charisma stuff.
I used a relentless Chinese officers sword almost the whole game. Relentless fills up your action points after a critical hit. Since you can store 3 (or 4?) critical hits with critical banker, you can be in VATS almost forever.
Perks I think are essential for melee combat were stealth, ninja, big leagues, blitz, better criticals, critical banker. Stealth to sneak up on things, with blitz you can hit them from quite far away, even sometimes jumping over chasms or through windows. Ninja's damage modifier and big leagues means anything you hit like that is dead instantly, with big leagues 4 area effect even several things at once. If stealth fails, you have the stored criticals to clean up.
Blacksmith for melee weapons modding was useless, there just is not enough variety and you can find what you need on a random drop weapon easily. Armorer was essential, I think - a full set of ultra-light armor is great for more action points, and I assume sneaking as well. And without gun modding, you'll have enough materials to do so.
I added Bloody Mess, Rooted and Gun Fu later, but all those didn't seem very useful. I originally wanted grim reapers spirit and for leaf clover, but never actually did. Would have been overkill after getting the relentless sword. Did not need action boy either because of it.
I never used power armor, except for the mirelurk queen at the castle early on and a legendary sentry robot. I could kill that robot quite easily without, but died each time from his explosion afterwards. I actually felt stronger in my normal set of armor, that gave lots of nice bonuses like a bonus to strength, 10% less vat costs, faster action point recovery and so on.
Apart from exploding enemies, the only thing giving me trouble later on where laser turrets high up on walls, I got a rifle to take them out. Easy if you use a stored critical hit.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Pictured: Me turning on god mode because a suicider super mutant spawned exactly where I am placed upon leaving this building, already hostile to me, already in the process of blowing himself up, leaving me no way of not being instantly killed. Good job, Bethesda.

"Someone there?" - Super Mutant Suicider who is already fully aware of the person they are about to blow to hell

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Apple Craft posted:

I wish the favorites menu (as well as some other ui/menu functions) was easy to use with a mouse and keyboard. Who the hell thought moving hands to the arrow keys was a good call??

I don't know if anyone ever answered you, but it IS easy once you figure it out. The Favorites menu still adds the items to number keys, so literally no change from previous games, and for anything needing the arrows, you can hold Shift and do WASD.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

For all the customization, it's a massive disappointment that all the armor is loving ugly.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
Synth armour is pretty good but by gently caress does it make you look like you're wearing plastic toy plates for protection

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Pictured: Me turning on god mode because a suicider super mutant spawned exactly where I am placed upon leaving this building, already hostile to me, already in the process of blowing himself up, leaving me no way of not being instantly killed. Good job, Bethesda.

"Someone there?" - Super Mutant Suicider who is already fully aware of the person they are about to blow to hell

Just take some Med-X and Rad-X, you big baby.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

I still want to know if weapon bashing counts as melee.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

found some x-01 armor if anyone's still looking for it. go to goodneighbor and go through bobbi no-nose's quest and you'll come across it soon enough

it's in an optional area and you need to use sonya tho

The armor is the only goddamn redeemable part of this quest. Hoooooly poo poo, this has to be the worst designed quest in the entire game.

Bust a dude out of jail? Sure, I'll just pickpocket the cell key, and open his cell while completely undetected. Oh, what's that? Literally every single Diamond City guard and some residents are hostile to me now. Great.

Now let's go down in tiny cramped tunnels with 3 loving NPCs, 4 if you have a companion with you. That will go swimmingly.

At least I finally have a full x-01 set.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kiggles posted:

Just take some Med-X and Rad-X, you big baby.

what part of instant death do you not understand, in that screenshot the screen is still fading in from black after loading

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Can you make/buy more airstrike grenades?

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
Well, main quest done. In all honesty, I largely hated it. Most of the time I felt like I was only getting half the big picture, missing a ton of dialogue on subjects that were not so spotlighted but undeniably relevant in the end. Details aside, basically what a lot of people have been saying - most of it felt like very little effort went into making an engrossing, coherent story.

But now that radiated carrot has been caught and eaten, putting me at ease to go do what Fallout does best. Wander about shooting stuff, taking care of peoples problems as they come around.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

the only pieces of armor that have "upgraded" variants are metal, combat, and synth armor

and the upgraded variants have like a 10% chance of appearing, and one is a small improvement while the other is double the armor value

have fun with that

No leather has it as well.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

CJacobs posted:

what part of instant death do you not understand, in that screenshot the screen is still fading in from black after loading

Look, if you weren't already high as a kite, that's a you problem.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Game is fun.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 16, 2015

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

Kiggles posted:

Look, if you weren't already high as a kite, that's a you problem.

The Sight asks for more Mentats, friend

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Enos Shenk posted:

The armor is the only goddamn redeemable part of this quest. Hoooooly poo poo, this has to be the worst designed quest in the entire game.

Bust a dude out of jail? Sure, I'll just pickpocket the cell key, and open his cell while completely undetected. Oh, what's that? Literally every single Diamond City guard and some residents are hostile to me now. Great.

Now let's go down in tiny cramped tunnels with 3 loving NPCs, 4 if you have a companion with you. That will go swimmingly.

At least I finally have a full x-01 set.

fun fact: I picked the lock on his cell and he just walked out. the guards didn't even look at him

also that quest is the motherload of cait approval, which is great since I hate wasting alcohol and chems making her happy

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dorkopotamis posted:

Ending talk:

I had hoped for more nuance by going with The Minute Men, given it is the organization the PC leads and has the most direction over, but the outcome was (I imagine) the same: blow up the institute. Couldn't I elect to reign in the institute but otherwise keep them around for the benefit of society? And what about the Brotherhood of Steel, do they just get to hang out and continue on being genocidal with no input? The game is/was fun, but for an RPG it lacked quite a few of the choices I might expect from the world Bethesda built. Although this time around, the world Bethesda built didn't seem to care much for offering choices.

The operative word in your spoiler there is "Bethesda." I can't think of a Bethesda game where I felt like I could actually meaningfully affect how events turned out; and recently (post-Oblivion), that's extended to the small side-quests, too.

Bethesda seems less and less interested in making their open-world RPGs actual RPGs with each new title. Really fun game, but not a good RPG. There's a reason so many people in this thread are hoping that Bethesda will call up Obsidian to have them make another pseudo-sequel: Obsidian, for all the things they're terrible at (more bugs than a Bethesda game guaranteed), are fantastic at quest design and stories that react to a wide range of player actions.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

I was doing borers and got my powered armour trapped down the watery pit.

Not going to be able to get it out, but good thing the map shows me where it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
So if there's no energy weapon specific perk-line (besides the radiation one) does this mean that the various Pistol, Rifle etc perks also affect energy weapons of that type?

For example if I take the pistol one, will it also boost laser pistols?

• Locked thread