Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

G0RF posted:

But Sandi said they're expecting 200,000 - 500,000 new backers in six months?

"YOU GOTTA BELIEVE!"

They don't even have 1 million, they have 784k backers. The endless stream of propaganda from CIG got old 2 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

1500 posted:

They don't even have 1 million, they have 784k backers. The endless stream of propaganda from CIG got old 2 years ago.

And they're not updating how many of those backers have asked for refunds, gotten refunds, or are in the (5 week?) queue to get a refund.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Also I remember some guy called that number into question by basically suggesting that anyone with an account was considered a backer and that there were many people with multiple or fake accounts, not to mention rumors that CIG has artificially been raising the numbers itself

If there truly are nearly a million people involved with money on the line then where is everyone

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Hav posted:

Who do you think went to jail over 38 Studios' loan? There were depositions, but the only person jailed was Buddy Cianci over 'Plunder Dome', which was only peripherally connected. It was a terrible deal, but stopped short of actual fraud. Rhode Island brought a suit based on fraud and walked away with a settlement for $4.4 million.

https://web.archive.org/web/20121119012618/http://www.riedc.com/files/Complaint-with-exhibit-final.pdf

tl;dr - they tried to sue everyone and got virtually nowhere.

Yeah, that's who I was referring to. At least I think that was him, last I checked. Regardless, someone was jailed for fraud related to the 38 Studios fiasco. And regardless of how they were connected to it, my statement that "someone went to jail for fraud" is still valid.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

True story: I was given a "play SC for free" code, and my GPU committed seppuku the moment I started installing it rather than have the shame of having to render lovely looking spaceships.

Thanks crobbers, I'm now down £160, but at least it's for something real.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
whatever happened with that clang project, did anyone get their money back

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

1500 posted:

the "Citizen" counter's not even backers. It's just people who've made an account. That's why it spikes hard during "free flight" promos.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Xaerael posted:

the "Citizen" counter's not even backers. It's just people who've made an account. That's why it spikes hard during "free flight" promos.

I thought there was some spreadsheet somewhere of their backer figures? Is that thing still up to date?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Speaking of making up numbers:

3 days below 20k, and 'surprise' a sudden influx ...

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Chalks posted:

I thought there was some spreadsheet somewhere of their backer figures? Is that thing still up to date?

There is/was, but I doubt it's worth the time of day reading it. I honestly doubt everything numerical that CIG spouts, from their takings to how many languages Sandi can read Lord of the Rings in.

Nov 3, 2015

Xaerael posted:

Right that is why I was saying 784k, the number of accounts that have AC access. As CIG gave every pledge access to AC, its an accurate number (assuming this is the one and only thing CIG are not lying about) of paid accounts for SC. But really it does not say how many "backers" it has because many people have multiple accounts.

1500 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 16, 2015

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Sappo569 posted:

hate pledging

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Chalks posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tMAP0fg-AKScI3S3VjrDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit#gid=1694467207

Nicholas fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 16, 2015

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Sappo569 posted:

Could be subscriber renewals. If you're on a bi-weekly [and by bi-weekly, I meant bi-monthly because I'm derp] pay schedule you'd have them closer to the middle and beginning of the month (more subs then). It would actually be very interesting to track the subscriber numbers to see how many they have as regular income.

The one thing they have not monetized well is their subscriber base. Right now it gets you some in-game currency (REC) that can be used to try out other ships... but not yet, of course.

Loiosh fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 16, 2015

Nov 3, 2015

Sappo569 posted:

It happens before every "sale" event at CIG. Its faster to purchase with store credit then it is with a new purchase, so

will make purchases before the event, in order to increase their chance of getting "limited" ships.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

LLJKSiLk posted:

Why don't just go full Scientology and create "SpaceOrg" and have their employees sign billion-year contracts to CIG and base themselves in international waters with no employment laws?

They could stretch out that money quite a while then.

Someone from CIG is seriously reading and considering this post.

Now I want to see a game developed out at sea on a cruise ship. Just 100 nerds and their families, trapped at sea until King Roberts gets what he wants.

more coke at sea

Wait wasn't that basically in neruomancer? Or wasn't that the second GITS movie?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

1500 posted:

Right that is why I was saying 784k, the number of accounts that have AC access. As CIG gave every pledge access to AC, its an accurate number of paid accounts for SC. But really it does not say how many "backers" it has because many people have multiple accounts.

Call me a cynic, but I don't believe that number is true, even counting shared accounts. Just over 30k people originally pledged on KS. I really don't see how another 75X,000 new paid accounts have been made since then for a game that literally doesn't exist outside of some really lovely tech demos, multiple accounts or otherwise.

CIG's bullshitting. Straight and simple. It's the best way to keep the con going, pad numbers to make it all look healthy, so the idiot whales keep emptying their bank balances into croberts and sandi's attempt to get back into Hollywood.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Toops posted:

This is my doge.

He was told he could live in a huge mansion, never wanting for anything, and paid $$$ for jpegs of this promised mansion. After incalculable delays, his mansion was delivered.

same

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Raskolnikov posted:

Now I want to see a game developed out at sea on a cruise ship. Just 100 nerds and their families, trapped at sea until King Roberts gets what he wants.

more coke at sea

Wait wasn't that basically in neruomancer? Or wasn't that the second GITS movie?

Neuromancer was one massive cool nerd that started in Japan, then US, then SPACE.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
seraph gave me a dumb avatar again

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So do we have any real numbers from the ship/jpeg/retard sale?

Hi seraph could you give me an avatar kthx.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Eonwe posted:

This is the third time you've mentioned it in the last 2 pages. Someone will get you a shiny new AV soon.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Raskolnikov posted:

more coke at sea

I think that's Snow Crash, where they had an aircraft carrier.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Jst0rm posted:

So do we have any real numbers from the ship/jpeg/retard sale?

Hi seraph could you give me an avatar kthx.

Get a cat to walk across your numpad, that's the number.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

At least dicks on your face is nothing new. Roll with it my man.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Sappo569 posted:

The thing is, those are dreadful numbers. I personally don't think they (CIG) inflate them-- because, given their overhead, they need a crapton more than this to be at break even.

We don't know their fixed monthly burn- but it's surely north of $2M. It could be north of $3M- but even if it isn't, they incur a lot of one time expenses with these new office moves and mo-cap equipment upgrades and $20k expresso machines.

There is no doubt it's a bad day for the books at CIG when they only bank $25k in pledges. Now, it's pretty obvious the Chris and Sandi are trusting they can always offset the lower baseline revenues with more hydraulic fracking of the space whales. These Anniversary Sales and "limited supply" Starliner presales and whatnot do bring in heap big bucks on a one-time basis. Surely by this time next week, CIG will have pumped another few million out of the wallets of the too-far-gones and sunk costers and they will end the month feeling like they more than covered their baseline shortfall. They'll probably celebrate with more indulgent purchases for the CIG Santa Monica crew as they finish pouring concrete over the bodies in Austin...

What is, to me, really interesting is that Sandi-- marketing and business genius Sandi-- seems to believe they'll have up to half a million new backers in the next 6 months. Either she is lying thru her teeth (always possible with her) or she is deluded in the extreme. That is an insanely bullish projection and doesn't seem grounded in trend data. A marketing professional worth their weight usually avoids making conspicuously aggressive revenue projections -- even if they have reason to hope for a breakaway success-- as it is always better for your surprises to be upside, not downside. One has others applauding your genius, the other has you apologizing for your myopia.

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
Wouldn't it be normal for people to spend less just before a big sale?

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
If any of you still feel the need to throw money down a big stupid hole, you could buy me a formlabs form 2 printer so i can open my jewellery CAD business sooner than i planned. i can even make you an actual spaceship on it. I legit cannot comprehend the idea of $1000 being nothing at any sort of income level, jesus christ you people.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Eonwe posted:

Is that why you have a weblink to Global Capitalism?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

G0RF posted:

What is, to me, really interesting is that Sandi-- marketing and business genius Sandi-- seems to believe they'll have up to half a million new backers in the next 6 months. Either she is lying thru her teeth (always possible with her) or she is deluded in the extreme. That is an insanely bullish projection and doesn't seem grounded in trend data. A marketing professional worth their weight usually avoids making conspicuously aggressive revenue projections -- even if they have reason to hope for a breakaway success-- as it is always better for your surprises to be upside, not downside. One has others applauding your genius, the other has you apologizing for your myopia.

The strategy is probably to keep anyone on the fence from bailing by convincing them that there will be more than enough new-blood to make up for those that are fleeing.

LastCaress posted:

Wouldn't it be normal for people to spend less just before a big sale?

I think someone said that it's quicker to buy with store credit. So the whales:

1) buy ships before the sale
2) return them for store credit
3) use the credit during the sale to quickly get "limited" ships.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 16, 2015

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Loiosh posted:

No kidding. My sister and I both were. Our teachers and parents loved it, of course. It took a long time to undue a lot of that influence.

You can guess at how fun it was to explain to my family that not only did that AO not work, but oh, I'm bisexual and I might not be into marriage all that much. Sorry Mom and Dad.

Hi poly pan person. Are you cute irl?

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

Nemo2342 posted:

I think that's Snow Crash, where they had an aircraft carrier.

Chris Roberts knows about the snow crash

I hope people know about slang terms for cocaine :thejoke:

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Raskolnikov posted:

Hi poly pan person. Are you cute irl?

Like all bisexual poly guy who post on forums about video games: Hell no.

I'm a midsized read: American medium, which = fatty to the real world buttery ball of affection.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

ShredsYouSay posted:

Chris Roberts knows about the snow crash

I hope people know about slang terms for cocaine :thejoke:

I went skiing and crashed a lot once I got to the bottom of the mountain.

Loiosh posted:

Like all bisexual poly guy who post on forums about video games: Hell no.

I'm a midsized read: American medium, which = fatty to the real world buttery ball of affection.

Wait you're actually cool? Wtf, a cig cultist who is self aware and cool? Now we've seen everything.

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 16, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LCL-Dead posted:

This is the third time you've mentioned it in the last 2 pages. Someone will get you a shiny new AV soon.

i dont want someone to buy me an av to replace it

i want seraph to buy me a funny avatar

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

Eonwe posted:

i dont want someone to buy me an av to replace it

i want seraph to buy me a funny avatar

so a jpeg of your posting

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Raskolnikov posted:

Wait you're actually cool? Wtf, a cig cultist who is self aware and cool? Now we've seen everything.

I wasn't when I was younger (see: Texas). I was extremely opinionated, full on selfish, a giant jerk and oh-so Republican. What happened to fix all that is falling in love unexpectedly with an older hippie. Just by being kind and loving to me, my desire to impress upon others evaporated over the years. I also found a close friend who suffered from strong depression, which tempered my childish belief that people who are sad are stupid and should just think happy. In both cases I learned to be less opinionated, to listen to others, and to understand that I do not know everything.

Basically, I didn't need to prove that my opinion was right. I needed to learn that my opinion is usually wrong, and that the best path in life is to listen with respect to others and look up things (read) for my education on why I was wrong.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Chalks posted:

It's Seraph84 trying to fool us by registering a new account 5 years in the past then being a reasonable human and good poster with it. Sneaky bastard.

Yeah, I was going with that as well. Especially since we already have a time traveler in the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Loiosh posted:

I wasn't when I was younger (see: Texas). I was extremely opinionated, full on selfish, a giant jerk and oh-so Republican. What happened to fix all that is falling in love unexpectedly with an older hippie. Just by being kind and loving to me, my desire to impress upon others evaporated over the years. I also found a close friend who suffered from strong depression, which tempered my childish belief that people who are sad are stupid and should just think happy. In both cases I learned to be less opinionated, to listen to others, and to understand that I do not know everything.

Basically, I didn't need to prove that my opinion was right. I needed to learn that my opinion is usually wrong, and that the best path in life is to listen with respect to others and look up things (read) for my education on why I was wrong.
Awe you sound really sweet. Thanks for being you. I'm still struggling with "I'm not always right" on some issues and I'll get there soon, you know, that deeper understanding of complexity of any given situation.

We're posting friends now. If anyone gives you grief I've got your back.

• Locked thread