Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Some notes about Android Apps in general
Malware: Not really an issue if you stick to the Google Play Store.
Free: I mostly link to the paid version of apps below, but some of them have a free, more limited version available. Just search if you want to see.
More apps: If you think this list is missing an app, or has an app that shouldn't be here, let me know! Mention it in thread, and PM me if I haven't gotten around to it.

I can’t really think of any other notes!

Oh, also: Android Tablet Thread, General Android thread, and Android gaming thread.

RSS
  • I run an instance of Tiny Tiny RSS which is a power-user friendly RSS reader site with a decent companion app.

Keyboards
Google Keyboard is fine for most uses, but hey, you’re going to be using this constantly so you’d best find a fit.
  • Fleksy for tappers.
  • Swype for swipers.
  • SwiftKey for tappers. Also does swiping, but by most accounts not as well as Swype.
  • Minuum is for crazy people.

Launchers
Launchers control the home screen of your phone, which may be a bit underfeatured. If you like customizing your phone, check these out.
  • Google Now Launcher: do you have TouchWiz or some other dumb skin? Replace it with this. Also I guess you can swipe left to Google Now.
  • Nova Launcher: highly resembles a basic launcher, but much lighter weight, with better features and customization (e.g. icon pack support). Nothing too quirky.
  • Action Launcher: Unique features include two side-swipe drawers for your app list (left) and custom widgets/apps (right).
  • Themer: MyColorScreen’s app. Download a whole bunch of user-submitted themes. Realize they’re all poo poo for day-to-day use. Uninstall.
  • Aviate: the new hotness is context-sensitive launchers (e.g. it detects if you’re home and puts your fancy LED lightbulb app front-and-center), and this is the best one you’ll find.

Wallpapers
Watch out for device permissions when installing anything not listed here. This category has a high concentration of malware.
  • Muzei: Widely used autoswitcher with nice blur and dim capabilities. It has plugins for just about everything imaginable, like 500firepaper.
  • Tapet: procedural material design wallpapers.
  • 500 Firepaper: Changes wallpaper on a schedule to different images from 500px. Lets you select categories and whatnot.

Widgets
Widgets used to be a very strange beast on Android, with Zooper and UCCW widget maker thingamajigs taking over. They’re bitches to use, but have basically infinite flexibility for any widget you might want to make. With the advent of material design, there are actually some good native ones, though.
  • DashClock: Designed for use as a lock screen widget, but nice anyway. Configure this to display notifications and information of your choosing using some extensions, and you’re good to go.
  • Today - Calendar Widgets: actual good widgets for Google Calendar.
  • Month is another great calendar widget with great functionality. Tap the header, see the whole year (or open an app of your choice), check out moon cycles or event descriptions in the month view, and add events from the widget itself.

File Browsers
You’d think it’s easy to get a file browser right. You’d be wrong.

Photo Gallery
QuickPic used to be the top-most pick I think, but it got bought by some Chinese company that doesn’t have the best reputation. I don’t know much about this.
  • Google Photos: Advanced deep learning (see also this which isn’t directly applicable to a gallery app, but is cool) makes searching for photos like “me and my dog at the park” work amazingly well. Of course, you have to upload your photos and videos to the cloud. Also does very cool stuff like automatically make “stories” from your vacation, or animated gifs from series of photos.
  • Piktures is pretty good.
  • I don’t know anything about any other gallery apps!

Camera apps
  • Manual Camera is a nice all-rounder, with a very polished UI, full manual controls and RAW capture. Use their compatibility checker to see which features your device supports before you buy.
  • Camera FV-5 has some extra features like burst mode, timelapses and histograms, but can't match Manual Cameras level of polish.

SMS/MMS Messaging
What, not happy with the Galaxy SMS app’s pink bubbles and Comic Sans? Okay, fine, but be warned that some of these apps might have issues with MMS, depending on your carrier.
  • Hangouts does SMS and MMS. Some people don’t like it, but its good enough for me because I mostly do Hangouts rather than SMS/MMS, and for the minority of messaging I do over SMS and MMS it works fine.
  • Messenger: Confusingly, Google also has an app that just does SMS/MMS. It is simple and works well.
  • Textra is well-featured and great.
  • SMS Backup+. It backs up your SMS and call log into Gmail. Restore on another device.

Email
The Gmail app is pretty great, and almost certainly better than your manufacturer’s “Email” app. Still...
  • Inbox is Google’s re-imagining of email workflow, and it’s really quite cool.
  • Nine is for Exchange-based email. Suckers. It seems to be the lone not-crap solution for Exchange on Android.

Alarms / Timers / Clocks
Your phone has one preloaded that works just fine, but here are some others:
  • Timely: Google-owned company made this. Fancy UI. Has some features and does some things.
  • I Can’t Wake Up! has a bevy of options for all you snoozers out there, and is better than Gentle Alarm in every way, i mean jesus how can people still be using that app?

Website / Social Media Readers
  • Twitter apps are weird, as Twitter only gives out limited quantities of dev tokens. Use the official client if you can. Plume supports multiple accounts and is free, but Fenix is best-in-class right now.
  • Something / Awful are two virtually indistinguishable apps for reading the SA forums.
  • Relay for Reddit is the best Reddit client for my money.

Podcasts
i swear, if one of you asks for any other recommendations, so help me God...
  • PocketCasts is the default, cloud-enabled app nowadays, although episode management can be unwieldy.
  • BeyondPod has some cool smart playlist functionality and generally more options than the previous, but is way harder to use.
  • Podcast & Radio Addict is easier to use than BeyondPod, not as good looking as PocketCasts.

Media Players
There is no silver bullet, but let me break some stuff down:
  • The Google Play Music app doesn’t require an all-access pass ($10/mo), and will show you local music in its player, with the ability to upload 50,000 songs to the cloud. All access buys you on-demand access to everything in the catalog. Google Play Music All Access (stupid, stupid name) also gets you subscribed to Youtube Red. Conversely, a subscription to Youtube Red also gets you GPMAA. Youtube Red gets you: Youtube without ads, saving videos offline, and playing videos in background when in other apps or when screen is off.
  • Youtube Music is a pretty cool experience for playing music videos off of Youtube. It’s more like Pandora than Spotify...but for videos. It works fine without any subscription, but you don’t get the benefits of Youtube Red mentioned above.
  • If you don’t have Spotify Premium, you’ll only be able to listen to “radios” and it will never allow you to directly select a song. The app does not have access to your device’s local library.
  • Pandora is so last decade.
  • Grab Simple Last.fm scrobbler if you use last.fm.
  • Local music players that exist: Poweramp, PlayerProp, Shuttle+
  • VLC for Android plays videos like...you know...VLC.
  • Plex: Stream and share your computer’s media.
  • Emby is a pretty cool alternative to Plex. Fully open source, even the server. They have a plex-pass like Premiere feature, but I would imagine that is only for people who really need local device sync.

Weather
  • Weather Timeline boasts some pretty drat good material-inspired design, and I haven’t needed anything else for a while. Uses the good forecast.io for weather data.
  • Someone described Arcus as spartan, but reliable. Both are true, and the widget options are pretty strong. Uses the good forecast.io for weather data.

Finance
  • Mint
  • YNAB. Good personal finance software. Requires the desktop app.
  • [your bank here], because they almost certainly have some form of an app. (though it probably sucks)

Lists / Notes / To-Dos
  • Google Keep is Google’s official reminder/notes app, and it’s pretty good for most use-cases.
  • Evernote: if you use the service, obviously.
  • Microsoft OneNote. It’s pretty good!

Administrative / Advanced
  • Llama Use your location and other triggers to change stuff on your phone.
  • IFTTT is basically Llama for other services outside your phone. Change your Google image to always match your Facebook photo! Turn on a light when you connect to a wi-fi network!
  • LightFlow is great for some phone models, as it allows you to fully customize notifications (sound, vibration, LED color, LED frequency) and set nightime modes.
  • LinkBubble opens up links in little “bubbles”, so they load while you continue reading. It’s a great idea, executed well.
  • Lux does pretty much anything you could imagine pertaining to screen brightness. Lets you set brightness for any amount of ambient light, change the circumstances under which the brightness adjusts, and it has a warm/red overlay if you dig that kinda thing. There's a lite version for free.

Security
Don’t bother with anti virus crap.
  • Google Authenticator. It’s 2015, why aren’t you using two-factor authentication yet?
  • Authy makes two-factor authentication a bit more convenient at the expense of giving a third party cloud thingy access to your verification tokens.
  • Authenticator plus is another two-factor authenticator. This one encrypts your poo poo locally and stores it i Dropbox or Google Drive.
  • LastPass manages your passwords in the cloud and syncs them between devices and desktop. Works really well at auto-filling credentials into apps and stuff on your phone. Like Authy, stores your poo poo in the cloud so know what that entails.

Web Browsers

IRC
  • Andchat is currently abandonware, but it works well enough and supports Samsung's Multiwindow.
  • qicr is still actively developed, and has both widget and the ability to chat from the notification bar, if you need that. Also, open sores.
  • IRCCloud has an app that apparently works well with their free tier of service.
  • Hermes is another IRC Client. Has some UI quirks, but is Material and pretty

Other Crap
  • Google Goggles is stuck in the Gingerbread days but still is a great, comprehensive scanner camera for QR codes, product barcodes, and text translation.
  • PushBullet: Everything you need to have your computer and mobile device talk to each other. It’s great.
  • Google Opinion Rewards: Let Google know that yes, you did visit Walgreen’s yesterday, and get some change for IAPs in return.
  • JuiceSSH does a thing that you care about if you're a computer janitor.
  • MuPDF is a lightweight interface for a snappy PDF rendering engine. Does just enough to let you open a PDF on your phone without wanting to kill yourself.
  • Power Toggles puts a bar at the top of your pull-down menu with buttons to quickly manipulate your settings. Like the Samsung one, but not lovely. Provides a flashlight.
  • Steam also has an android app. You can buy stuff to play on your computer and have it start downloading for you when you get home. Also some other stuff. Frankly, they need to bite the loving bullet and expand their market to actually distributing Android games, but that's not a subject we need to go into here.

Credits to f#a# for putting the original version of this list together. Most of the comments belong to this person, not me.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Action launcher is great even if you're not a home screen power user. The ability to put a drawer of direct dial widgets on my phone icon makes it a lot easier to dial up people while driving without looking. The quick navigation app drawer takes a while to get used to but if you have a lot of games that you only play as time wasters it's a nice, efficient thing. I don't use the widget drawers that much (can you have the Gmail widget just use your whole inbox instead of just one folder?) but I'll use it for Fenix and Google News here and there. After loving Nova (since the Google launcher's default aspect ratio is bad on the note 5) the Action Launcher provides me just enough features to love it.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
This is an excellent list. I want to mention two alternative browsers that will let you block adds without root.

Firefox Browser for Android works well and has a fully functioning add-in system, Ublock origin works with it.
Lightning Web Browser + is a light weight browser with ad blocking and other features built in. I haven't used it personally though.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
What makes Fleksy better than SwiftKey?

Thermopyle posted:

Photo Gallery
QuickPic used to be the top-most pick I think, but it got bought by some Chinese company that doesn’t have the best reputation. I don’t know much about this.
  • Google Photos: Advanced deep learning (see also this which isn’t directly applicable to a gallery app, but is cool) makes searching for photos like “me and my dog at the park” work amazingly well. Of course, you have to upload your photos and videos to the cloud. Also does very cool stuff like automatically make “stories” from your vacation, or animated gifs from series of photos.
  • I don’t know anything about any other gallery apps!

Piktures is pretty good.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I'll add some heavy duty camera apps, for when Google Camera doesn't cut it:

Manual Camera is a nice all-rounder, with a very polished UI, full manual controls and RAW capture. Use their compatibility checker to see which features your device supports before you buy.
Camera FV-5 has some extra features like burst mode, timelapses and histograms, but can't match Manual Cameras level of polish.

repiv fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 16, 2015

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I use Winamp for my local music playing. I like using the android file system and being able to copy a load of tracks into a folder without futzing around with playlists. (It does not seem to be on the Play store anymore. just the wifi remote. You can still track it down, but I leave that up to you.) The ui is very simple and neat.

I also dig VLC for Android for local video files and music files. I can't stand the google player for some reason and these guys just work well for me.

Lonos Oboe fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 16, 2015

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Pvt. Parts posted:

Feature works fine for me. I guess you were expecting it to reload the every time you switch back to the app, right? Well, instead the option is actually 'Refresh on Start' and will reload when you arrive to the app after it not being in memory or whatever (i.e. after a reboot, after swiping it out of the multi-tasking screen, and I guess after it is pushed out of memory by other apps). Unless I'm missing something here I'll admit this isn't convenient at all. Oh well, reloading is just a swipe away.

Ok, that's what I was suspecting it meant.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Please put a link to the general Android and Android Games topics in OP, thx in advanced.

I just thumbed through my app drawer for suggestions to add to the list. Here are some more apps that I'm pleased with or know enough other people are pleased with to mention:

• JuiceSSH does a thing that you care about if you're a computer janitor.
  • Lux does pretty much anything you could imagine pertaining to screen brightness. Lets you set brightness for any amount of ambient light, change the circumstances under which the brightness adjusts, and it has a warm/red overlay if you dig that kinda thing. There's a lite version for free.
  • MuPDF is a lightweight interface for a snappy PDF rendering engine. Does just enough to let you open a PDF on your phone without wanting to kill yourself.
  • Power Toggles puts a bar at the top of your pull-down menu with buttons to quickly manipulate your settings. Like the Samsung one, but not lovely. Provides a flashlight.
  • Slack has an android app, but if your team is already using it you probably know that.
  • Steam also has an android app. You can buy stuff to play on your computer and have it start downloading for you when you get home. Also some other stuff. Frankly, they need to bite the loving bullet and expand their market to actually distributing Android games, but that's not a subject we need to go into here.

Also a question. Does anybody know about a good volume manager, like Lux but for sound? In particular, I'd like my phone to be even quieter (without being completely silent, obv) than its lowest volume setting, so that I can occasionally view a quick link to a youtube video or whatever in a quiet place without disrupting the peace or breaking out my headphones.

EDIT: Also, I asked this a long time ago but wasn't satisfied with the answer then and I'm hoping something has changed: Is there a good recommendation for a vault app that I can store sensitive photos or documents in, but still have accessible after a password entry? Ideally it would be an encrypted container that would mount as a virtual directory and then unmount on screen-lock, but I dunno how much of that requires root.

Eikre fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 16, 2015

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I've used Apex Launcher on a few devices (2013 N7 and 2015 Moto XP) and had no problems.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'd suggest Authy as a nicer alternative to Google Authenticator

Also isnt ES explorer full of chinese spyware or something?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I would like to formally submit Minima for cool material-ish wallpapers, Cabinet BETA (no idea why it's still beta) for a decent file browser option, and I'd like to second Authy as another option for 2-factor-authentication.

For Reddit, I think Slide for Reddit deserves mention too.

Fake edit: Also, please add 8pen to the list of keyboards when they eventually release it for like the third time after two failed attempts.

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 16, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Skarsnik posted:

Also isnt ES explorer full of chinese spyware or something?

Is it? :ohdear:

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
It would be cool to explicitly say that poweramp is probably the best option if you don't want to have anything to do with cloud stuff, or have a non-cloud session for music apps.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Great OP. The only thing I'd add is a note in the keyboard section that Google Keyboard usually is not the default keyboard that comes with (non-nexus) phones, and that it is good, not bad like the OEM keyboards.

And a link to Google Keyboard on the play store (not a paid shill for Google, just like GK).

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Listen Audiobook Player is my poo poo. Granular speed and volume controls, sync position over multiple devices, plus a great UI.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Eh, probably not (probably :tinfoil:)

Sorry for the reddit link but its got most of the info

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/30rg0e/can_we_have_a_talk_about_es_file_explorer/cpv3lx9

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 16, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Skarsnik posted:

I'd suggest Authy as a nicer alternative to Google Authenticator

Given that requires you to let Authy handle two-factor stuff in the butt cloud, I would not. Unless you're the kind of person to use LastPass over KeePass+Dropbox or 1Password or something.

If you're going to cede control of your security to a third party without any vetting by a regulatory agency (like an accountant or lawyer would be vetted) or actual contingency measures available to you, just use SMS codes for two-factor.

someone will inevitably have posted:

But I lost my device / am out of Wi-Fi AND mobile coverage but still have Internet somehow / gremlins!

Remember those panic codes you were supposed to put somewhere safe?

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 16, 2015

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Authy makes 2 factor convenient, and means I'm more likely to use it in as many places as possible. Its also pin protected so I'd say overall I'm more secure

And yes I use lastpass. Please enlighten me as to why I shouldn't

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Uthor posted:

What makes Fleksy better than SwiftKey?

As far as I can tell, nothing really, but its good and some people prefer it (not me).

OP updated with the suggestions so far...

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Thermopyle posted:

As far as I can tell, nothing really, but its good and some people prefer it (not me).

OP updated with the suggestions so far...

nice inclusions of vlc and plex. vlc is particularly useful to play some videos the default player just won't play

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
Authenticator plus is the paranoid authy. Syncs an encrypted database to either drive or Dropbox. Also does encrypted manual backup if that's more your thing.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Eikre posted:

Also, Valve finally added a token generator to the mobile app for two-factor authentication, so there's some point to using it now.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

I am not happy with Steam at the moment, because I know from changing my e-mail account with them that they can perfectly well deliver two-factor codes by SMS but normally refuse to.

Skarsnik posted:

And yes I use lastpass. Please enlighten me as to why I shouldn't

Long story short LastPass's people are bad at their jobs.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 16, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Astrotrain posted:

Authenticator plus is the paranoid authy. Syncs an encrypted database to either drive or Dropbox. Also does encrypted manual backup if that's more your thing.

Hey, thats nifty.

That's not very convincing to me without context about whether their security history is worse than you would expect for a company to be. I mean, every company has screwups, so saying "don't use LastPass because they've messed up" doesn't mean anything.

I would literally not believe it if you told me that LP had never had issues.

The real test is whether or not they've had breaches of user passwords.

All security is a matter of tradeoffs...particularly the tradeoff of convenience vs security and AFAIK there is not a non-cloud-based password manager that is as convenient as LastPass.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Month is another great calendar widget with great functionality. Tap the header, see the whole year (or open an app of your choice), check out moon cycles or event descriptions in the month view, and add events from the widget itself. Good job, you did it!

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

Breached, but it doesn't sound like credentials were exposed? I'd say that's pretty good, considering that as a company dealing with credential management they probably see more attacks than average. Every company has been breached, so I honestly take that as a given. What matters to me is that they disclose them and their controls are strong enough to withstand them.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

Month is another great calendar widget with great functionality. Tap the header, see the whole year (or open an app of your choice), check out moon cycles or event descriptions in the month view, and add events from the widget itself. Good job, you did it!

This looks cool and good. Thanks for the recommendation.

Hotzenplotz
Sep 16, 2008
I have been using Signal (used to be called textsecure) for text messaging. No idea what these other apps can do, but it does what I need perfectly fine. Plus it can encrypt your messages if that is important to you for some reason.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

As far as LastPass goes, I was perfectly satisfied with the way they handled the hacking, and when it was clear nothing was actually exposed I didn't freak out and carried on using it like a sensible person

The logmein thing I'm gonna wait and see on, until they actually change anything I don't see the need to switch

I've tried all the popular apps and in my opinion its the one that offers the most convenience and best overall experience day to day (the fingerprint reader integration is loving cool paired with auto filling of stuff). That means I'm more likely to use long passwords everywhere instead of getting lazy.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Hotzenplotz posted:

I have been using Signal (used to be called textsecure) for text messaging. No idea what these other apps can do, but it does what I need perfectly fine. Plus it can encrypt your messages if that is important to you for some reason.

Thermopyle please rename the thread Android Apps - if you don't have at least 4 messaging apps you're doing it wrong

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
IRC
  • Andchat is currently abandonware, but it works well enough and supports Samsung's Multiwindow.
  • qicr is still actively developed, and has both widget and the ability to chat from the notification bar, if you need that. Also, open sores.
  • IRCCloud has an app that apparently works well with their free tier of service.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Run weechat on a VPS and connect to it using either Glowing Bear or Termux.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Are we not going to just tell people to use Fenix in the OP? We should.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Pocket, for saving articles to read later. They also have a recommendations tab now, too, though it doesn't seem personalized.

SMS Backup+, will save all SMS/MMS to your gmail.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
If Authy doesn't float your boat in terms of the convenience vs. security trade-offs of 2FA, one possible option I've been using is using a YubiKey Neo and Yubico Authenticator together which works with anything Authy does.

Other pros:

* Works natively with Google, Dropbox and Lastpass in normal security key mode
* The authentication codes can be read on desktops and any android device with NFC
* Can be used for smart lock

Cons:
* It's another thingy you have to buy
* Depending on the kind of person you are you might be more likely to lose your keys than your phone
* NFC is finicky especially if you have a case on

As far as LastPass vs. KeePass vs. 1Password goes, as long as my passwords aren't compromised I personally really don't care much if they get attacked. Dropbox has been subject to breaches before so if that's the concern then why even have your password vault in the cloud at all?

---

Edit:

Quasseldroid is another option similar to Irssi and weechat for IRC that uses Quassel

Tweetings is my personal preferred Twitter client, I find Fenix a bit overwhelming but that's probably because I'm more used to Tweetings. In terms of feature sets they're actually pretty similar.

Microsoft actually has some pretty cool apps, like Hyperlapse (apparently janky but works fine for me) and Office Lens which is kind of a mobile scanning thingy with OCR and all that jazz, works better than Goggles for me personally.

Geektox fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 16, 2015

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

nocal posted:

Good shout

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

nmfree posted:

IRC

Hermes is another IRC Client. Has some UI quirks, but is Material and pretty.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

My concern with security management by third parties is not so much that they're hackable, but that what recourse do you have when you do end up compromised. Who licenses/bonds/audits password management firms? (Arguably the same framework as banks or attorneys would work, but what government is going to take up the fight to make evidence collection harder.) Do you even have any option other than lopsided arbitration and having to do the same security cleanup as you would with a local/bulk-storage database?

Geektox posted:

As far as LastPass vs. KeePass vs. 1Password goes, as long as my passwords aren't compromised I personally really don't care much if they get attacked. Dropbox has been subject to breaches before so if that's the concern then why even have your password vault in the cloud at all?

The password vault isn't plaintext (not even its metadata is, beyond filesystem minima) and can be given any extension without affecting its readability. Also at least for KeePass you can use an additional file (labeled 'private key' but it can be anything, and shared directly/locally rather than through the cloud or it defeats the purpose) in the encryption process.

Cloud storage is just a bag-man.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 16, 2015

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

nocal posted:

Pocket, for saving articles to read later. They also have a recommendations tab now, too, though it doesn't seem personalized.

Used this today. Recently wiped my phone and needed a phone number someone texted me months ago, in a vcf card no less. Very convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

There is no reason SMS Backup+ shouldn't just be a part of Android or at least Google Play Services.

As for LastPass vs. KeePass the truth is that if your grandmother couldn't reliably use it then it's not ready for consumer use and KeePass, the service that requires a million other services to do anything, would be the posterchild for "too complicated to recommend".