Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
it is definitely not seraph because seraph has a breakdown within 5 posts of pretending to be another person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

1500 posted:

They don't even have 1 million, they have 784k backers. The endless stream of propaganda from CIG got old 2 years ago.

Yup. And just think that it took 2012-2015 (hint: 3 years this month) to even get that many. And she says they're going to add 200K-500K more in six months?

That's not even projection territory, it's flat out lies.

The woman is an habitual liar. And this poo poo isn't even funny anymore.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Loiosh posted:

I wasn't when I was younger (see: Texas). I was extremely opinionated, full on selfish, a giant jerk and oh-so Republican. What happened to fix all that is falling in love unexpectedly with an older hippie. Just by being kind and loving to me, my desire to impress upon others evaporated over the years. I also found a close friend who suffered from strong depression, which tempered my childish belief that people who are sad are stupid and should just think happy. In both cases I learned to be less opinionated, to listen to others, and to understand that I do not know everything.

Basically, I didn't need to prove that my opinion was right. I needed to learn that my opinion is usually wrong, and that the best path in life is to listen with respect to others and look up things (read) for my education on why I was wrong.

the unironic best person in this thread is a SC backer, who'd've thunk

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Prop Wash posted:

Also I remember some guy called that number into question by basically suggesting that anyone with an account was considered a backer and that there were many people with multiple or fake accounts, not to mention rumors that CIG has artificially been raising the numbers itself

If there truly are nearly a million people involved with money on the line then where is everyone

I already called bollocks on that one, months ago.

Though no evidence of them manipulating it exists, what we do know - for a fact - is that

1) people who get refunds, and their accounts closed, don't affect that count. We've actually tracked that, believe it or not

2) anyone who has an account, be if from a free weekend, free code etc - without having bought anything at all, adds to that count

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sappo569 posted:

Speaking of making up numbers:

3 days below 20k, and 'surprise' a sudden influx ...

Yeah, that's some of the crap we're dying to question them about in court. They've got to be manipulating that chart in order to show "health" and confidence in the project. And it's not illegal btw.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, that's some of the crap we're dying to question them about in court. They've got to be manipulating that chart in order to show "health" and confidence in the project. And it's not illegal btw.

Surely misrepresenting the financial health of your business to attract more """investment""" is textbook fraud?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Raskolnikov posted:

Awe you sound really sweet. Thanks for being you. I'm still struggling with "I'm not always right" on some issues and I'll get there soon, you know, that deeper understanding of complexity of any given situation.

That deeper understanding of complexity of any given situation isn't really all it's cracked up to be anyway. Heck, sometimes it's a bad thing, paralyzing you with indecision, making you obsess over poo poo that don't matter that much in the end when you should just be doing things about it.

So while I can't say I took the time to read your reply to me Loiosh, I think you're cool too. Heck, if nothing else, it's nice to see someone willing to just talk about Mass Effect at random and not be a passive/aggressive goony dipshit about it.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
If you really don't believe there are that many dummies in the world to drop that kind of money on spaceship stuff daily, I don't know what to tell you. It's an addiction for a hell of a lot of people. I doubt the numbers are fake.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

The thing is, those are dreadful numbers. I personally don't think they (CIG) inflate them-- because, given their overhead, they need a crapton more than this to be at break even.

We don't know their fixed monthly burn- but it's surely north of $2M. It could be north of $3M- but even if it isn't, they incur a lot of one time expenses with these new office moves and mo-cap equipment upgrades and $20k expresso machines.

There is no doubt it's a bad day for the books at CIG when they only bank $25k in pledges. Now, it's pretty obvious the Chris and Sandi are trusting they can always offset the lower baseline revenues with more hydraulic fracking of the space whales. These Anniversary Sales and "limited supply" Starliner presales and whatnot do bring in heap big bucks on a one-time basis. Surely by this time next week, CIG will have pumped another few million out of the wallets of the too-far-gones and sunk costers and they will end the month feeling like they more than covered their baseline shortfall. They'll probably celebrate with more indulgent purchases for the CIG Santa Monica crew as they finish pouring concrete over the bodies in Austin...

What is, to me, really interesting is that Sandi-- marketing and business genius Sandi-- seems to believe they'll have up to half a million new backers in the next 6 months. Either she is lying thru her teeth (always possible with her) or she is deluded in the extreme. That is an insanely bullish projection and doesn't seem grounded in trend data. A marketing professional worth their weight usually avoids making conspicuously aggressive revenue projections -- even if they have reason to hope for a breakaway success-- as it is always better for your surprises to be upside, not downside. One has others applauding your genius, the other has you apologizing for your myopia.

Yes, pretty much this.

And yes, she's lying. Again.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

CrazyLoon posted:

That deeper understanding of complexity of any given situation isn't really all it's cracked up to be anyway. Heck, sometimes it's a bad thing, paralyzing you with indecision, making you obsess over poo poo that don't matter that much in the end when you should just be doing things about it.

So while I can't say I took the time to read your reply to me Loiosh, I think you're cool too. Heck, if nothing else, it's nice to see someone willing to just talk about Mass Effect at random and not be a passive/aggressive goony dipshit about it.

I'll totally admit to ME 2 and Witcher III being the games I had the most fun with. ICO remains the 'best game' to me, but I had more fun with ME 2.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Enchanted Hat posted:

Surely misrepresenting the financial health of your business to attract more """investment""" is textbook fraud?

Nope. In fact, I just answered that very question on Twitter

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/666349942093586432

quote:

no. because the premise of the chart is not to attract investors. Its to provide reporting. No different from a press release

trust me, I checked with legal to make sure. accusing someone of a felony is not the sort of thing u do on a whim. u get sued

it's the same reason why Chris and co can make any outrageous claims they want, and with impunity. No repercussions whatsoever

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Is spending 1 days worth of income on a coffee maker really a big deal for a project that is 10,000 days in length?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Loiosh posted:

When you say had something, I'm curious what you mean. Let's pick Bungie as an example. They had a carefully scripted demo that was prerecorded and a third person engine. They demo'd that prerecorded video at MacWorld 1999. This is after they had already done a complete engine change from the Myth II RTS version of Halo. That third person game would have one more engine rewrite (though much smaller, they replaced the entire user control code, some of the movement and the rendering engine).

But at that MacWorld 1999 stage, what they had, was a video and a buggy, feature-incomplete alpha.

Now, why I'm bringing that up:
Internally, CIG has something. They've demoed something on stage. There's even something that users can download, though more limited than what was shown on stage.

So when you say, they had something, what is that something you are referring to, that CIG is lacking?

If you're interested in my perspective on this. They lack a pedigree (obviously, new developer), edit: and they lack the majority of the MMO features that they promised. Almost all of the MMO portion is entirely unaccounted for. According to Derek Smart, they lack the systems to even make the AC 2.0 update that's been shown and the FPS portion [That correct, Derek? I'll admit it's been awhile since I read the blogs]. This is why I bring up my concerns. Unless they pop out AC 2.0, and for my opinion, it needs to come by the end of the year, that would show evidence that they are lying about their status and prove everything that Derek has said is true. They also have some excessive expenditures, like having 4/5 mocap studios. That's entirely foolish in my opinion.

If AC 2.0 comes out and doesn't include the features they said (Derek linked this 3 pages ago), then it'll be unquestionable that they're lying and have been lying.

Which is why I support everyone who is asking for refunds and the like. I get it, and believe people should never put in money to a project they have any question over, and get refunds if they already have.

That's correct. They don't have the tech to build Star Citizen as promised. That's what they're working on. And whatever they release for 2.0, is not even going to be indicative of the bigger picture. They know this. Which is why they're dubbing it "Baby PU".

And my guess is that, at some point, assuming they survive the first part of 2016, they will most likely nerf it all again.

Also, Chris went on the record, may times, saying that Star Citizen was not an MMO. As far back as 2013, there were several posts asking for verification of just that fact. Here's one.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/14268/star-citizen-mmo-or-not-clear-answer-please

Then, seemingly overnight, the team found themselves building what? Yup. An MMO.

And that's precisely how he derailed the project.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Loiosh posted:

I'll totally admit to ME 2 and Witcher III being the games I had the most fun with. ICO remains the 'best game' to me, but I had more fun with ME 2.

Of Bioware titles I'd say I had the most fun with Dragon Age: Origins and its expansion. It was just everything I could've hoped for, really, and also definitely broke WoW's hold over me. ME2 is close after that, though I prefer ME3's gameplay a fair bit more. Still, in terms of artistic achievement Spec Ops: The Line will probably remain tops for me in this whole category.

Otherwise, though, I'm more of a CK2 and XCOM fanatic, especially with the sequel coming out. But we can chat more about this stuffs if Ras over there decides to PM and invite you to her TS sometimes, so we can chat in private and not here since I have no PM function and feel like messing up this thread to introduce myself to you.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

haha :stonklol:

does the character not blink? because it looks like he doesnt and its horrifying

also how he awkwardly jumps back into his creepy death stare pose the second the animation is finished. I guess they need another mocap studio or 3 if they want to polish the animations up some more

Those animations.. they dont look natural. at all. How can you have 2 mocap studios, rent 2 mocap studios, and STILL end up with non-mocap animations?! What is wrong with CiG?

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
hello derek what is your favorite kind of sandwich

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Loiosh posted:

What happened to fix all that is falling in love unexpectedly with an older hippie.

It was Tommy Chong, wasn't it?

Loiosh posted:

Basically, I didn't need to prove that my opinion was right. I needed to learn that my opinion is usually wrong, and that the best path in life is to listen with respect to others and look up things (read) for my education on why I was wrong.

Get a refund!

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Actually, to be fair, they are going to need a lot of time in a mocap studio if Sandi is going to be reprising her role as a skeksis.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Loiosh posted:

I'm willing to support the effort because I've seen this same thing happen year after year in game development. (Here's where I mention that Blizzard redesigned Diablo I a year before delivery. It was originally turn-based).
Real-time Diablo was literally built in a day.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Loiosh posted:

I wasn't when I was younger (see: Texas). I was extremely opinionated, full on selfish, a giant jerk and oh-so Republican. What happened to fix all that is falling in love unexpectedly with an older hippie. Just by being kind and loving to me, my desire to impress upon others evaporated over the years. I also found a close friend who suffered from strong depression, which tempered my childish belief that people who are sad are stupid and should just think happy. In both cases I learned to be less opinionated, to listen to others, and to understand that I do not know everything.

You seem cool. If we ever hang out you can drink some of my beer.

Wait. poo poo.

We can still hang out.

staberind posted:

Actually, to be fair, they are going to need a lot of time in a mocap studio if Sandi is going to be reprising her role as a skeksis.

I don't know what that means but I just realized that it would be loving perfect if it turns out that Sandi's giant [REDACTED] secret is that she's playing the Vanduul Queen.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

How do you have 6 bow emotes and have them all be the same arm-sweeping bow? They never thought "hey maybe one should be a regular bow like you see in every other game and also real life."

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Decrepus posted:

How do you have 6 bow emotes and have them all be the same arm-sweeping bow? They never thought "hey maybe one should be a regular bow like you see in every other game and also real life."

When in space rome, do as the space romans do

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Decrepus posted:

they know their audience, all they're missing is a "m'lady" voice clip and a fedora tip

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Decrepus posted:

Different degrees of bows for different degrees of respect, of course! (I have no idea).

Also, Skeksis are from The Dark Crystal. Overdressed avian critters!

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Decrepus posted:

wake me when we have every sexual position emotes.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

they know their audience, all they're missing is a "m'lady" voice clip and a fedora tip

Also the no pants crotch zoom

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Loiosh posted:

Different degrees of bows for different degrees of respect, of course! (I have no idea).

Also, Skeksis are from The Dark Crystal. Overdressed avian critters!

the more money the other character spent the deeper you bow.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Jst0rm posted:

Now you're just doing their work for them :colbert:

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Now you're just doing their work for them :colbert:

heres another free one. Larger and larger cod pieces for every 1k spent.

I am game designer.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Jst0rm posted:

at concierge level you bow low enough that you end up with your head stuck up your own rear end

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Jst0rm posted:

/bow fellates croberts character if you find him in-game

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Jst0rm posted:

/em inevitableconsequenceofpiracy

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

D_Smart posted:

There is nothing healthy about a $25K "bump" up from a $20K floor. You folks are acting like minor fluctuations in the day-to-day are conspicuous macro swings towards financial health. If they dropped $25K a day for a month they aren't even at $1M. That's a bad month of revenue for CIG.

Look at the reported weekly trends. They, too are not positive.

Are we to assume they artificially deflate their numbers? Why would they let such a huge delta exist between weekly yields if they wanted to convey an image of financial health when this does the opposite?

The more plausible explanation is that baseline averages are trending very low-- a sign that perhaps they're nearing Market Saturation for "Pre-Alpha!" Backers. This is corroborated by the rather clumsy introduction of the "Ref-Rul" program - to attempt to improve inflow of new backers through turning their existing backers into motivated evangelists. (All signs point to this not helping much- unsurprisingly.)

The huge spikes from limited sales are more plausibly explained by existing backers digging deeper and adding insult to their injuries by loading up on even more speculative space pixel 'investments'.

Remember there was a time a couple of years ago when the baseline averages were much, much higher. Even with no stimulus on CIG's part, they'd see several times the daily income via RSI. That was a picture of healthier new backer growth. If you can forgive the sloppy analogy, at one time, they were putting a straw into the fields at Spindeltop and money was absolutely exploding out of the ground. Those days are far past. Now they are injecting huge amounts of water into the ground to squeeze out reserves. When they do not inject, reserve pressures are low and only modest amounts of money are recovered.

So, as loathe as I am to say I actually trust CIG about something, the generally negative picture conveyed by their supposedly trustworthy daily income tracker does not appear to suggest manipulation. If they are being manipulated, then whoever is doing it is an idiot, because they are signaling a company which is having increasing financial difficulty.

Lastly, the picture above surely does NOT capture refunds issues. We do not know even the ballpark sum for monies refunded, but whatever it is, we know it would impact the above adversely. We DO know the above is likely to include Merchandise revenues-- because the big spike we recently saw was seemingly tied to the sale of Concierge (not-black) Black Cards. That is useful to remember, as we can discount the possibility that there are some unaccounted-for bonus incomes from merch helping to boost daily numbers. They're accounted for, and generally speaking, pretty lackluster...

G0RF fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 16, 2015

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/296354

The ship on sale is always the best ship and we have at least 12 different sale days coming up.

quote:

Anvil Aerospace Crucible – A so-called “flying toolbox,” the Crucible is the ship you want on your side when you suffer an asteroid collision or survive a pirate attack! Structurally, the Crucible consists of a cockpit, drive unit and workshop. The Crucible’s workshop is versatile: it can be used as a base for conducting EVA repairs (complete with requisite tool storage) or it can use magnetic grapplers to attach directly to a ship hull. In this situation, the workshop actually opens to space and allows a repair crew direct access to a damaged ship. The workshop can either maintain artificial gravity or allow for zero-g repair operations, depending on the needs of the mission. The Crucible’s cockpit is also outfitted with an array of repair tools, including dual purpose mounts that can exchange weapons for tractor beams and remote manipulator arms. The Crucible is also part of a larger planned repair system. For larger projects, independent sections of support struts and drive units, called the Miller ERS (External Repair Structure), can be locked together to form a sort of scaffolding around a damaged starship, the next best thing to an orbital drydock. A standard ERS unit includes a small drive, thrusters, magnetic attach points and modular hardpoints for mounting tractor beams, repair tools or weapons. ERS segments each have a code defining their shape (P1 = Straight section, P2= Left turn, P3 = Right turn, etc.) with the multiple layouts allowing extensive zero-gravity construction as necessary. In the case of damaged capital ships, like the Navy’s Bengal carriers, hundreds of ERS units might be formed into a latticework serviced by a dozen or more Crucibles.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

So, as loathe as I am to say I actually trust CIG about something, the generally negative picture conveyed by their supposedly trustworthy daily income tracker does not appear to suggest manipulation. If they are being manipulated, then whoever is doing it is an idiot, because they are signaling a company which is having increasing financial difficulty.

I agree with this, daily numbers don't include subscriptions but do include merchandising (without subtracting the actual cost/delivery), pretty sure they don't remove refunds and the backer figures include whales with numerous accounts each. It's bad enough without them playing with the figures which would only be making it worse for themselves later.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
hey here's an idea for your anniversary sale

show some gameplay footage from your game

instead of more fictional descriptions of yet-to-be-designed systems on imaginary spaceship jpegs that costs hundreds of dollars of real life money

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

staberind posted:

I did an upscaled reproduction of the Skeksis Chamberlain puppet a few years back. True story. Knowing how hard "being a Skeksis" is I doubt Sandi, even with her nineteen black belts, 2 year undefeated WCW heavyweight championship and predicted 2017 world's strongest man victory could face the challenge.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/3sy1cy/now_projecting_on_screens_two_three_and_four_at/cx1y4ue?context=3

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
This could be their last event so I hope everyone enjoys it, the next time they'll have a good reason for a sale is AC 2.0 or Gamescom in August 2016 (depending which happens first).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

G0RF posted:

There is nothing healthy about a $25K "bump" up from a $20K floor. You folks are acting like minor fluctuations in the day-to-day are conspicuous macro swings towards financial health. If they dropped $25K a day for a month they aren't even at $1M. That's a bad month of revenue for CIG.

Look at the reported weekly trends. They, too are not positive.

Are we to assume they artificially deflate their numbers? Why would they let such a huge delta exist between weekly yields if they wanted to convey an image of financial health when this does the opposite?

The more plausible explanation is that baseline averages are trending very low-- a sign that perhaps they're nearing Market Saturation for "Pre-Alpha!" Backers. This is corroborated by the rather clumsy introduction of the "Ref-Rul" program - to attempt to improve inflow of new backers through turning their existing backers into motivated evangelists. (All signs point to this not helping much- unsurprisingly.)

The huge spikes from limited sales are more plausibly explained by existing backers digging deeper and adding insult to their injuries by loading up on even more speculative space pixel 'investments'.

Remember there was a time a couple of years ago when the baseline averages were much, much higher. Even with no stimulus on CIG's part, they'd see several times the daily income via RSI. That was a picture of healthier new backer growth. If you can forgive the sloppy analogy, at one time, they were putting a straw into the fields at Spindeltop and money was absolutely exploding out of the ground. Those days are far past. Now they are injecting huge amounts of water into the ground to squeeze out reserves. When they do not inject, reserve pressures are low and only modest amounts of money are recovered.

Lastly, the picture above surely does NOT capture refunds issues. We do not know even the ballpark sum for monies refunded, but whatever it is, we know it would impact the above adversely. We DO know the above is likely to include Merchandise revenues-- because the big spike we recently saw was seemingly tied to the sale of Concierge (not-black) Black Cards. That is useful to remember, as we can discount the possibility that there are some unaccounted-for bonus incomes from merch helping to boost daily numbers. They're accounted for, and generally speaking, pretty lackluster...

Well no because the chart would need to show -200k for one day :laffo:

AP posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/296354

The ship on sale is always the best ship and we have at least 12 different sale days coming up.

Oh boy a different super special ship for sale each day?

So are they going to 'forget' to turn off the tap like every other sale recently, and let it run clear into December?

So many possibilities for the hard core backers to really start to show their dissent, the next 2 weeks is going to be magical

• Locked thread