Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Do they come out at 12:00 (or 12:01) AM EST when it's technically Friday morning, or are they released on PST?

Snowy posted:

Drifter posted:

Why would only three leak? The entire show is released on the same day.

6 days. Yay!

Isn't it 4 days?

Maybe Drifter isn't in the US?

Edit: New page. Quote for context added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^ - just had my math wrong. I'm a California kid.

Oooh, the 20th? gently caress yeah!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Kheldarn posted:

Do they come out at 12:00 (or 12:01) AM EST when it's technically Friday morning, or are they released on PST?

Isn't it 4 days?

Friday morning, definitely. PST, I think.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
When does it drop for those of us in the EU then?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

tsob posted:

When does it drop for those of us in the EU then?

8am UK time

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Who's on the marathon crazytrain?

I did it with a few others on here for Daredevil. Hated life for a week afterwards.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rocksicles posted:

I did it with a few others on here for Daredevil. Hated life for a week afterwards.

I'll watch it all over about a week. That's pretty intense.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
We're going to get a new thread for the actual release right?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, i'm out! High Castle is on too.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Rocksicles posted:

Yeah, i'm out! High Castle is on too.

Didn't even know this was a thing till now. Neat. I really have to look in to Amazon's thing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

nelson posted:

We're going to get a new thread for the actual release right?

Nah.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I assume we'll be using the same spoiler rules implemented for Daredevil?

Also it's really not cool that I have to work Friday.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

Daredevil was ok. I get what they were going for with Goonlord Fisk but in the back half the show started to bend around him way too much. It was good overall, but I suspect I'd have enjoyed it way more if I hadn't already read the Miller, Bendis, and Brubaker runs a decade ago and I own that as my perspective.

And yeah the same general sense of "this is really good but something about it isn't quite able to get to that next level 'watch even if you're not a fan' place" is on display with JJ so far, much like the rest of the MCU. Not a bad thing, I still love these shows, just saying.

I've read pretty much every DD comic and I still loved the Netflix series. Besides some general concepts it isn't a direct of any specific story or anyone's general run, so I don't see why reading the comics is a detriment. If anything it adds because you pick up on the comic easter eggs.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Gyges posted:

I assume we'll be using the same spoiler rules implemented for Daredevil?

Also it's really not cool that I have to work Friday.

I believe the plan at the time was "we'll see how these work and if there are any problems" so... does anyone remember what the rules were and if there were any problems?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The rules are in the OP, but here's a refresher

X-O posted:

:siren: Netflix Rules Update! :siren:

OK, here's what we're going to try as a test. Some people are not happy with the go-wild aspect of the Netflix threads so we're going to try a different approach. If you have general thoughts on the show that's fine. If you are doing specific reactions to episodes they will go into labeled spoiler tags with the episode you are on or have completed for the first 72 hours. If you haven't gotten to that episode then don't click on the spoiler. This is just a trial for Daredevil and if it doesn't work we'll just go back to the old way from now on. And now an example post:

So far the show is good. I enjoy this show so far through episode 10. It is a fine television program.

1x10
The thing that happens in this episode certainly happened. And how it tied back into what they were saying in episode 3 was definitely a cool thing. I think the villain that appeared in this episode and did the villainy thing was bad. He should be punched by the Daredevil and have to go to jail.

The 1x10 is just the episode you're up to. You can write all about episode four if you want, but if you let something slip that came out later and you forget and it maybe happened in episode six that's why you still put episode 10 and not episode 4. Get it? Hope it works. And if not sorry!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rocksicles posted:

I am, should be finished in time for dinner :getin:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sepinwall likes it.

It's nice going into this series knowing that it will probably be good. I was hyped as gently caress for DD but the Marvel Netflix experiment hadn't been established by then, so there was the worry that it could suck.

Also there was that one twitter guy lying about it and saying everyone at the studio thought it was terrible.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

Also there was that one twitter guy lying about it and saying everyone at the studio thought it was terrible.

To be fair, Devin Faraci never said his source was the studio. He had heard it from a friend (who apparently has terrible taste) and he was passing that along.

That said, he did follow it up with the dumbest "Your mother's a whore" remark ever.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't think I will be fair to Devin Faraci and unrelated I heard he has a small dick.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Sepinwall likes it.

It's nice going into this series knowing that it will probably be good. I was hyped as gently caress for DD but the Marvel Netflix experiment hadn't been established by then, so there was the worry that it could suck.

These expectations may backfire since before they just had to meet or beat the quality of Agents of Shield, now Jessica Jones has to be at least as good as Daredevil.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

I don't think I will be fair to Devin Faraci and unrelated I heard he has a small dick.

I too have been hearing very bad buzz around Devin Faraci's dick.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DivisionPost posted:

I too have been hearing very bad buzz around Devin Faraci's dick.

It's been tracking really badly amongst the 18-29 demo

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's been tracking really badly amongst the 18-29 demo

:golfclap:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tons of reviews are coming out, and all I've seen are positive reactions. Rather than post all the ones saying it's great, has anyone seen negative reviews yet?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Well, I don't want to get spoiled, so I guess I'll see you guys on the other side! :tipshat:

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/joe-quesada-brushes-off-iron-fist-netflix-rumors

Looks like the Iron Fist series is still in the works! :yayclod:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Well, "being worked on" isn't as strong a denial as I would have hoped - it doesn't mean they've settled on a creative direction or are close to hiring a showrunner, let alone casting the lead - but it's something, at least.

Anyway, tons of JJ reviews out today and yesterday, and they're almost all extremely positive.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
https://twitter.com/JessicaJones/status/667435049935966208

Did we already see the opening sequence?

If not, I think this is it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Based on what I've read and seen, they've basically abandoned the theme of the comic (the clash between normality and celebrity). It's really not doable with the direction they're going for, so it just makes it weird that they decided to adapt it in the first place.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Based on what I've read, they've basically abandoned the theme of the comic (the clash between normality and celebrity). I can't really fault them for that though, it's not doable with the direction of the overarching series.

Also it's really hard to do without a wide ranging, mature Marvel universe where it's conceivable that a superhero could've been working in for years and still not make front page headlines. JJ from the comics would be one of the most powerful people on earth, not a C-list hasbeen.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Based on what I've read and seen, they've basically abandoned the theme of the comic (the clash between normality and celebrity). It's really not doable with the direction they're going for, so it just makes it weird that they decided to adapt it in the first place.

Because like in comics themselves they found another theme or story they could tell with this character that would be cool so they are going to go with it.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Stealthed Zombie posted:

https://twitter.com/JessicaJones/status/667435049935966208

Did we already see the opening sequence?

If not, I think this is it.

Not as Mack-esque as I'd been led to believe, but I like it.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Dexo posted:

Because like in comics themselves they found another theme or story they could tell with this character that would be cool so they are going to go with it.

Also, the contrast between Jessica and the Avengers et al was never the sole theme of Alias. A major theme, yes, and its omission might well be the biggest change here, but not the only thing an adaptation could work with.

But yes, to make something resembling a faithful adaptation of Alias, you would need a more normalized superhuman presence than what exists in the MCU.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Pretty intro, very intense and gives me a very noire vibe.

Is there a set time in which Netflix usually uploads their series? Like maybe midnight tonight? (EST)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deakul posted:

Pretty intro, very intense and gives me a very noire vibe.

Is there a set time in which Netflix usually uploads their series? Like maybe midnight tonight? (EST)

Midnight PST so you just have to stay up until three.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Barry Convex posted:

Also, the contrast between Jessica and the Avengers et al was never the sole theme of Alias.

It was only the most important theme. Alias was all about it. The superheroic world is presented as an almost mythic plane of reality, and the intrigue comes from how real people have to deal with it. In the first story arc, Jessica Jones ens up being a pawn between SHIELD and a supervillain, and it's terrifying because she's a normal (if enhanced) person dealing with forces incomprehensible in normal reality. She gets outfoxed and intimidated by a Homicide detective, how is she going to deal with SHIELD and a billionaire criminal mastermind? Or look at the Rick Jones arc, which is almost as thematically important to the series as Purple Man (who in the comic's world represents the ultimate violence).

"Superheroic reality" being handled through realistic logic is a reoccurring motif in Brian Bendis' comics. Ultimate Spider-Man emphasises superheroic reality being a kind of violent intrusion into people's lives (Mark Bagley makes action in the series always explosive), with Peter Parker as somebody who navigates both worlds. Even "Bendis-speak" is part of that: applying a pseudo-realistic speech pattern to an unrealistic genre.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 19, 2015

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

zoux posted:

Midnight PST so you just have to stay up until three.

Crap, guess I'm watching it in the morning then. :negative: :smithicide: :smith: :geno: :qq: :(

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm glad thy abandoned that theme because it just highlighted how ridiculous the Marvel universe is in a very jarring way for a comic that was trying to be gritty and personal and down to Earth and crap.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

Well, "being worked on" isn't as strong a denial as I would have hoped - it doesn't mean they've settled on a creative direction or are close to hiring a showrunner, let alone casting the lead - but it's something, at least.

Anyway, tons of JJ reviews out today and yesterday, and they're almost all extremely positive.

They still have plenty of time since we're looking at what, 2017-ish for some hot Iron Fist-ing action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

It was only the most important theme. Alias was all about it. The superheroic world is presented as an almost mythic plane of reality, and the intrigue comes from how real people have to deal with it. In the first story arc, Jessica Jones ens up being a pawn between SHIELD and a supervillain, and it's terrifying because she's a normal (if enhanced) person dealing with forces incomprehensible in normal reality. She gets outfoxed and intimidated by a Homicide detective, how is she going to deal with SHIELD and a billionaire criminal mastermind? Or look at the Rick Jones arc, which is almost as thematically important to the series as Purple Man (who in the comic's world represents the ultimate violence).

"Superheroic reality" being handled through realistic logic is a reoccurring motif in Brian Bendis' comics. Ultimate Spider-Man emphasises superheroic reality being a kind of violent intrusion into people's lives (Mark Bagley makes action in the series always explosive), with Peter Parker as somebody who navigates both worlds. Even "Bendis-speak" is part of that: applying a pseudo-realistic speech pattern to an unrealistic genre.

I don't really disagree, but I don't think that makes Rosenberg's et al's focus on Jessica herself, at a distance from any broader Marvel context, better or worse. It's just different.