Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
The seats at Merriweather in Maryland were only 80 to literally be right at the front.

:smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Get past it? It's one of the best things about them.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Wild Beasts vocals. However a few of the people I've tried to get into them complain about the weird falsetto.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Love Antlers. Excited to check out wild beasts

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The Polish Pirate posted:

Don't get me wrong, I love the Wild Beasts vocals. However a few of the people I've tried to get into them complain about the weird falsetto.

I thought you meant Foxing.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

rear end Catchcum posted:

Love Antlers. Excited to check out wild beasts

They aren't very similar, not sure why they were compared. Wild Beasts are loving amazing though, Smother is my favorite album of theirs.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just got home from seeing HEALTH and man were they rad. I was falling asleep before they came on (didn't get much sleep last night and worked all day), but as soon as they started playing, they zapped me right back into consciousness. Their set was probably only an hour long or a little less, but they played everything I wanted to hear. And they did a 1-song encore (Girl Attorney) and that 1 song is only 30 seconds long, but man, what a 30 seconds that was! Their drummer's a loving beast.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
We're getting a second Last Shadow Puppets LP next year. The first one was a lot of fun.

Alex Turner (Arctic Monkeys) + Miles Kane (Rascals) + James Ford (Simian Mobile Disco) + Owen Pallett

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

I wasn't planning on seeing Grimes again after seeing her show the other day, but I won tickets for tonight. Hopefully she's feeling a little better since she's suffering from the flu. But drat, even with a walking boot on one foot and being on the verge of puking her guts out she put on a hell of a show on Monday night.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Must be nice to get people to play two nights in a city. Feels like most people just travel through Michigan to get to Toronto and Chicago...

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

While on the Grimes talk, Natalie Prass covered Realiti.

http://www.vevo.com/watch/natalie-prass/REALiTi-(LIVE-AUDIO)/USSM21502028

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm seeing that same show you are in Vancouver on the 20th, so loving stoked.

Hey, don't know if you'll see this in time, but make sure to get there early for Rah Rah. They are incredibly good, and I felt they stole the show when I saw them two weeks ago.

I've been listening to their albums more than Dear Rouges stuff.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Slandible posted:

Hey, don't know if you'll see this in time, but make sure to get there early for Rah Rah. They are incredibly good, and I felt they stole the show when I saw them two weeks ago.

Thanks dude, definitely plan on it. The Tourist Company is opening as well and I love them, it's going to be a good night.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Slandible posted:

Oh my god what a good show. The Tourist Company is an amazing little Vancouver band that I highly recommend, Rah Rah was utterly fantastic, but man Dear Rouge is something else. Danielle is so awesome, she works the crowd so well and is such a incredible performer. loving fantastic show. Also they played October Second which Drew shines in, such a good album and band and show.

Tomorrow night I'm seeing Coleman Hell opening for Robert Delong, pretty drat good weekend.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICruF30bCEI

POLIÇA - "Lime Habit"

Polica is back with a new album. For those who love their bassy as gently caress feminist rock. It's me

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

incoherent posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICruF30bCEI

POLIÇA - "Lime Habit"

Polica is back with a new album. For those who love their bassy as gently caress feminist rock. It's me

I saw them about two years ago in a dive bar to a super small crowd and they were pretty drat good. They are coming here in April and I'm tempted to go, but this single isn't doing a whole lot for me.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Forgot to post this yesterday, Robert Delong and Coleman Hell put on an awesome show and you guys should see either one if you can. I was especially impressed with Coleman Hell, awesome live performer.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CLAM DOWN posted:

Forgot to post this yesterday, Robert Delong and Coleman Hell put on an awesome show and you guys should see either one if you can. I was especially impressed with Coleman Hell, awesome live performer.
I saw Robert Delong at a festival in March having never heard of him before and yeah, he put on a fun show. He's not an artist I think about too often but his music's cool.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Two new Wild Nothing tracks. They're both tasty, first one especially

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XVwA4XCDeM

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Just got back from Chvrches live with Mansionair and Four Tet supporting. Holy poo poo. Four Tet pulled out an hour long set which was pretty great. But Chvrches, drat. Highlights were definitely We Sink, Clearest Blue and Martin doing Under the Tide. Giant LED screens behind them with crazy graphics.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Chvrches has been consistently getting better. I saw them last year, and saw them again just over a year later, it was like watching a whole other band take the stage. I can't wait to see how they keep progressing.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Surprised nobody mentioned Ra Ra Riot's latest single "Water." I'm digging it. Very sort of... 90s Annie Lennox? But it totally works.

Also discovered a band (Thanks Spotify!) that I hadn't heard of: Arthur Beatrice

Sort of slow/atmospheric/funky/indie.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I saw Alvvays a couple weeks ago and I loved it. Best show I've ever been to.

I loved their cover of the Hummingbirds "Alimony". Been listening to the Hummingbirds a lot lately because of them too.

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw2ssNnA_Es

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
That new AnCo track sounds great. It feels like they took MPP and then compressed it into a bouncy rubber ball.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

It sounds like what anco used to sound like and added slick clean production to it. I'm conflicted.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

It's that time of year when everyone starts releasing their top picks of the year. A bunch of the top album of the year lists are compiled on this site.

bowser fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 2, 2015

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I'm gonna drop my top 50 in here and it's gonna be great

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This genre is so region-specific for the most part that it's hard to make all-encompassing lists, I prefer to choose my own favourite albums of 2015:

Dear Rouge - Black to Gold
Alabama Shakes - Sound & Colour
CHVURCHES - Every Open Eye
Zerbin - Darling
Whitehorse - Leave No Bridge Unburned
The Sheepdogs - Future Nostalgia

Seriously, listen to The Sheepdogs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uJ1tfEk2uU

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

loving THIS! ^

Thanks for that. Holy gently caress that's awesome; getting a Yardbirds vibe from them.

Here's another with a pretty awesome stop motion video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSMN1ugJAos

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
That is a lovely loving generic rear end song. Wow.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I loving love that song :shrug:

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Then go get like any poo poo comp from the 70s because there are over 100k bands that sound just like them. Those lyrics were the word equivalent of elevator music

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'll never understand the angsty hatred for other's musical tastes that some have.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Goons hate everything. Especially other people's opinions.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

CLAM DOWN posted:

I loving love that song :shrug:

Most indie rock that's just a straight 70s rip isn't really my thing, but this is pretty good for what it is! Thank you for sharing, ignore that one jerk. Listening to their newest album now :)

Was trying to place the dude's voice, and I realized he sounds a lot like the singer from Boston but in a lower register.

FWIW, I'm not gonna bother writing up my AOTYs that everyone here heard (Screaming Females, Grimes, Jamie XX, Viet Cong, Lower Dens, Neon Indian, Carly Rae Jepsen...), but here are some of my favorites y'all might have missed:

Ezra Furman - Perpetual Motion People
By far my favorite discovery of the year. I hadn't heard of him until the day he played Brooklyn, went to his show on a whim because I liked his LCD Soundsystem cover, and was just totally blown away. I saw him again in October and will be seeing him once again in February; he's fantastic live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvfI6Q5WFT0

Shopping - Wind Up
Hey, speaking of bands that are 70s-inspired, Shopping is basically just Gang of Four reincarnated. It's as awesome as that sounds. Their second LP is just like their first: a bunch of short, twitchy, catchy songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc65ZogJpwI

Aye Nako - The Blackest Eye
Laced - Laced
Guerilla Toss - Flood Dosed
Three EPs from three local bands I learned about because they opened for other bands. Aye Nako makes cool queer-friendly DIY punk, Laced is an indie pop/punk band who has an LP coming next year that I'm really looking forward to, and Guerilla Toss is impossible to describe semi-danceable noise-art-punk and also somehow signed to DFA of all labels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpZw3tLDrng
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4jR_M2hsV4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO8NGBHf-Uc

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'll never understand the angsty hatred for other's musical tastes that some have.

Well what the gently caress is the point of the internet then

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's not very angsty to say a song is boring.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

A human heart posted:

It's not very angsty to say a song is boring.

He didn't say that, he said:

rear end Catchcum posted:

That is a lovely loving generic rear end song. Wow.

I really liked this one, thanks!

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I'm just consistently surprised at the stuff y'all flip over.

I mean, loving Coldplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Why do you care so much about what other people like?