Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barbun
Aug 20, 2012

Pharnakes posted:

Can the AI handle that though? It's always been easy to pick apart a superior navy using whatever the current flavoured doomstack is. Unless that has been changed you could just build 6 CV 6 DD or whatever proves to be best as Japan and if you pick your fights properly you can take the whole US navy out in a few years.

Hopefully that will be averted by the new naval engagement rules (so that your 6 CV/ 6 DD stack for example either gets caught out while partially split up, or is ineffective while operating in tight formation).
It will most likely also be easier for submarines and lone ships to break through your *perfect battlecruiser ring*, meaning that a diverse, balanced fleet might just beat doomstacks in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I'm not in, hopefully somebody from Kaiserreich got in so they can give input.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Mister Adequate posted:

You just replied to a post? :confused:

Oh you silly goose, you are not posting in the grog thread. This is the grog thread.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Riso posted:

Oh you silly goose, you are not posting in the grog thread. This is the grog thread.

I know, I was just messing around :p I'm not actually into real grog games that much, not because I don't like them, but because I've got SO loving many games to play that I have a hard time justifying the time to learn something truly spergy.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Naval doomstacks was pretty much how things worked out in real life though. :v:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

You guys shouldn't be sad for not getting in, you'll still beta test the game when it comes out.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Disco Infiva posted:

You guys shouldn't be sad for not getting in, you'll still beta test the game when it comes out.

Hey now Pdox have actually been pretty decent about finishing their games before release since CK2. Hearts of Iron interests me much less than Stellaris though, I'm still sperging out about tiles over here :(

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

Alright let's sperg out for a bit then, we'll use this planet as the example.

If you look on the right side you'll note that it appears they've used farm-city-farm going down. The farm tiles are mountains which means they produce less food, but the city tile is a flat plains tile which means it has bigger base food production and gains bonuses from both of the other farms which comes together into a fuckload of food. Ideally, the player would then terraform the swamp at the top to unlock the tile and build another city there, and then a farm on the left. However I posit that the farm shouldn't boost more than one tile at a time and if you want that kind of bonus again you should put the city in the top center tile and farms on either side again. The farms on the right side would not give each other any bonuses at all. This makes adjacency bonuses significant, but still local and you won't be able to chain a bonus across the entire planet, and you're instead encouraged to put your bonuses where they make the most sense and gain a variety of them which translates into a productive and diversified planet. On the left side we can place a lab underneath the creatures in the tile above and gain some kind of bonus there.

The dev diary however notes its best to place reactors next to each other though so I'm going to assume it works the exact opposite and you are encouraged to chain bonuses across the whole planet instead, which leads to specialization, especially if the game has percentage bonuses to one type of production.

It's not like you can transport energy between planets, so the reactor example doesn't necessarily mean specialized planets.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

cool and good posted:

It's not like you can transport energy between planets, so the reactor example doesn't necessarily mean specialized planets.
Its a pooled currency in the interface, at least.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

It sounds alot more Civ-like, with pop units needed to work tiles with set production, which I think is a good thing as Civ city mechanics have worked well for years, and have a good balance between being able to leave them alone in most cases and get good results but can be tweaked for optimal efficiency.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
*presses button to enable planetary governor, never looks at planets again until it's time to build a secret project*
If my games of Alpha Centauri are anything to go by.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Oberleutnant posted:

*presses button to enable planetary governor, never looks at planets again until it's time to build a secret project*
If my games of Alpha Centauri are anything to go by.

There's a definite trick to having the amount of attention you need to pay to each planet scale with how many planets you have. Early in the game, I care to micro-manage each planet / city / whatever, but late in the game I want automation. There are only so many times I want to check on a city to make sure it hasn't exceeded the pop cap, or check in and tell it to build another happiness building to raise that cap.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The dev diaries imply that you move up from managing planets to managing sectors of space as you grow.

How this will be done i have no idea

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Agean90 posted:

The dev diaries imply that you move up from managing planets to managing sectors of space as you grow.

How this will be done i have no idea

This kind of scaling is basically a 4X holy grail for me. If this ends up making it into the final product, they'll get my preorder just to give money to companies trying to innovate on 4X in this way.

e: actually, this is Paradox. They'll get my money anyways. But I'm still really enthusiastic!

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Will there be some equivalent of monarch points to slow down your expansion or is it just energy/food/industry? I'd assume Paradox will continue with the philosophy they've been showing in EU4 and HOI4. Maybe unlocking new slots to build on will cost these points, and then you get to build on them with industry etc.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
The limiter should be colony ships fleets. Seriously, gently caress battleships, the amount of effort it would take to build a fleet that can carry an entire self sufficient population in it and all the machinery and equipment they would need to maintain the technological level of the parent civilization is vast.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Isn't one of the conditions of the beta that you don't say you're in the beta and deny anything if asked?

Maybe everyone in this thread got in and everyone is just trying to mislead everyone else.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
It's you. You're the only one not invited.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

sux 2 b u nerd :smug:

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

vyelkin posted:

Isn't one of the conditions of the beta that you don't say you're in the beta and deny anything if asked?

I don't see how that could work, wouldn't the NDA have to apply retroactively?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Gort posted:

It'll be more like the Germans losing key battles because they didn't have enough fuel to build enough tanks to fight the battles - technically different, effectively similar.

The Battle of the Bulge will be the Germans pulling their tank and air units from the front long enough for them to reinforce, then bringing them back in as part of an offensive.

I think the main difference will be when you're dealing with navies that historically couldn't operate and got sunk in port - those will instead get sunk doing operations by a numerically superior enemy.

I can see why people are complaining in that case. It sounds like in this system, disrupting supply chains is functionally the same thing as strategic bombing. If I can cut an army off from a port/surround them I should be able to starve them of fuel and supplies in a matter of weeks rather than waiting months for the production chain to be affected .

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Don't all units take attrition during the normal course of operations anyways? It seems like the net effect of this change is that when your supplies are reduced, you can't fly as many missions / launch as many attacks / etc. as you could otherwise and still maintain strength. That seems like a good enough model that the advantage of modelling supply this way sells me on it.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Sharzak posted:

I can see why people are complaining in that case. It sounds like in this system, disrupting supply chains is functionally the same thing as strategic bombing. If I can cut an army off from a port/surround them I should be able to starve them of fuel and supplies in a matter of weeks rather than waiting months for the production chain to be affected .

Units still need to be in supply, ie able to trace a route from a supply depot (your capital) to their location, or they'll suffer heavy attrition and combat penalties.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Welp, officially off the hype train for Stellaris.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
I don't understand what rationale Stellaris has to exist. There are more than enough generic space 4Xs in the world already, and seeing Paradox waste their resources on yet another 'space-fantasy heartbreaker' just makes me sad.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

That which makes money justifies its own existence

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

This is really disappointing, tile-grid planets are one of the things I hate the most about space 4X games, right alongside overcomplicated ship builders. I figure if you're going to do planet buildings either go full-on minimal effort and give it the EU4 system, or go whole hog and make each planet its own mini strategic map. These grid compromises always end up being busywork optimization problems. You can't ignore it because there's a "right answer" and it needs to be done, but the work always just ends up mind numbing.

I like the system Star Ruler 2 had, where having a planet import certain resources exerted "pressure" on that planet, which caused the population to automatically build building to fulfill its pressures. You could build things on your own if you wanted, but it was really expensive. The pressure system was maybe a bit too complicated (or at least I never fully figured it out), but in principle I feel like it was a reasonable compromise where the player had input without micromanagement. But it also doesn't translate well to other games because Star Ruler 2 is like 98% importing resources to the correct planets.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Jsor posted:

This is really disappointing, tile-grid planets are one of the things I hate the most about space 4X games, right alongside overcomplicated ship builders. I figure if you're going to do planet buildings either go full-on minimal effort and give it the EU4 system, or go whole hog and make each planet its own mini strategic map. These grid compromises always end up being busywork optimization problems. You can't ignore it because there's a "right answer" and it needs to be done, but the work always just ends up mind numbing.

I like the system Star Ruler 2 had, where having a planet import certain resources exerted "pressure" on that planet, which caused the population to automatically build building to fulfill its pressures. You could build things on your own if you wanted, but it was really expensive. The pressure system was maybe a bit too complicated (or at least I never fully figured it out), but in principle I feel like it was a reasonable compromise where the player had input without micromanagement. But it also doesn't translate well to other games because Star Ruler is like 98% importing resources to the correct planets.

I personally thought Star Ruler was over simplified and pretty boring, it was basically the tile system with planets anyway since you were chaining modifiers. Tiles generally suck (see Galciv) and Stellaris's system doesn't look much better but we are aware that the game is supposed to open up in phases and it could be the tile system is simply a part of the early game to give the player something to do and is discarded for another system later.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Demiurge4 posted:

I personally thought Star Ruler was over simplified and pretty boring, it was basically the tile system with planets anyway since you were chaining modifiers. Tiles generally suck (see Galciv) and Stellaris's system doesn't look much better but we are aware that the game is supposed to open up in phases and it could be the tile system is simply a part of the early game to give the player something to do and is discarded for another system later.

I liked the idea in principle more than in execution, admittedly.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

nothing to seehere posted:

It sounds alot more Civ-like, with pop units needed to work tiles with set production, which I think is a good thing as Civ city mechanics have worked well for years, and have a good balance between being able to leave them alone in most cases and get good results but can be tweaked for optimal efficiency.
Not for potentially "thousands" of cities it doesn't. Every Civ game has included mechanics to restrict empire growth, because after a certain threshold managing an economy this way just becomes an unwieldy mess.

On the scale of an interstellar empire you can just forget about it. This kind of system worked poo poo for MOO2, as it just bogs the player down after their empire gets even moderately large (and MOO2's maps weren't even that large), and I can't see it being any better here. I don't understand why developers insist on doing it this way instead of trying something new, or at the least trying to emulate MOO1's (in my opinion) far superior economy model.

Oh well. I'll wait until we hear more about this obviously, but this might just have killed my interest in Stellaris, which is a shame because the other parts were looking really interesting.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Seems like I would treat it the same way I do buildings in eu4: something I care about a lot as a small to medium power and immediately stop giving a poo poo about once I'm huge. Or at least forget to care about.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think using planetary governors as default and pushing planet interaction more towards Victoria 2 levels of economic management would be a good idea. The player will unlock slots (just like a national focus) that will let them micromanage planets if they so desire or use them as a passive booster for the governor. This let's the player focus on a few key planets in new or old systems and make them into the jewels of their empire.

Heck you can just use the leaders for this instead of a slot. If you want to micro a planet you gotta pay for and install a leader there.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Will this be Paradox's Spore?:gonk:

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Have you guys considered that switching from 'this will be the best ever' to 'this will be the worst ever' because of one DD about tile grid planets is just a little bit on the histrionic side?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Wiz posted:

Have you guys considered that switching from 'this will be the best ever' to 'this will be the worst ever' because of one DD about tile grid planets is just a little bit on the histrionic side?

Have you considered we're all grieving for the HOI4 beta?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Wiz posted:

Eh, like two people said that. The best thing you can do to tiles is to make them interesting, which is a hard sell, but you could probably pull it off. Could you share a snippet the internal argument for why you chose tiles instead of what I'm sure were a bunch of other suggestions?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Wiz posted:

And who's saying this exactly?

Someone saying "I don't like this kind of gameplay so I probably won't like this" is not being histrionic, they're giving an opinion.

e:more reasoning.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Nov 17, 2015

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

tooterfish posted:

And who's saying this exactly?

Someone saying "I don't like this kind of gameplay so I probably won't like this" is not being histrionic, they're giving an opinion.

e:more reasoning.

Look one post above the one you just quoted.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Demiurge4 posted:

Eh, like two people said that. The best thing you can do to tiles is to make them interesting, which is a hard sell, but you could probably pull it off. Could you share a snippet the internal argument for why you chose tiles instead of what I'm sure were a bunch of other suggestions?

Not my title, so I'm not going to go into design reasoning, only say that I think it works fine, especially with the sector-level stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Wiz posted:

Look one post above the one you just quoted.
Fair enough, that is a little. :mmmhmm:

I think it's safe to ignore stuff like that though, this is the internet after all.