Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'm really looking forward to The Connie and the 2.0 release :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Loiosh posted:

The Connie is a big part of the 2.0 release. It'll be that and the Retaliator bomber I think that'll be pushed.

Though not the specific phoenix package

They sell the constellation all the time apart from the phoenix, they just had an lti retaliator sale but they'll probably make up some new modules for it and sell it again.

I think phoenix, 890 Jump, Idris P, Javelin, a new lti alien ship and the new lti pirate ship are potential options for them. They aren't going to raise 5.6 million with retaliator lti modules, some fluff on the constellation, the phoenix and LTI Anvil Crucible.

Pretty sure they are going to sell the Banu and all the other "limited" ships again (glaive, scythe, idris m excluded). Hope they do 3 year insurance as well, as that's really stupid.

AP fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 17, 2015

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Chris Roberts Autobiography

Page 341

"Yeah and that's when we really knew the backers had gone full retard.
They were, and I'm not making this poo poo up, they were giving familiar little nicknames to jpegs of ships that didn't exist, like they were familiar with them, or they used them daily or something.
That's when the penny really dropped, these were not rational people. We'd heard about the PDFs these crazy fuckers were making, user manuals [laughs] - again, not making this up, loving user manuals for jpegs. Crazy.
You have to understand, those were different times, Kickstarter allowed any old rear end in a top hat to fleece nerds with no come back. If you sat down now and told someone with a straight face that you could just post on a web site promising all kinds of insane bullshit and folk would simply throw cash at you, unquestioned, well. They'd think you were mad."

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
There will be an inheretance tax and a loss of reputation. So not perms death but not completely painless either.

How has this answer affected your view of the project?

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

AP posted:

They sell the constellation all the time apart from the phoenix, they just had an lti retaliator sale but they'll probably make up some new modules for it and sell it again.

I think phoenix, 890 Jump, Idris P, Javelin, a new lti alien ship and the new lti pirate ship are potential options for them. They aren't going to raise 5.6 million with retaliator lti modules, some fluff on the constellation, the phoenix and LTI Anvil Crucible.

They've confirmed no Connie variants for the time being (they're not ready on the V3 ship). I do very much expect to see the 890j again at some point and a few thousand more Idris-P. Though I think they'd hold the Idris until they get it in AC 2.0 because then all the idiots will impulse buy it.

And after they realize it is very stupid to own one without a guild, buyer's remorse melt it to get other ships. Either way CIG wins.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Gerbil_Pen posted:

There will be an inheretance tax and a loss of reputation. So not perms death but not completely painless either.

How has this answer affected your view of the project?

It didn't but I am glad to have my curiosity sated. :unsmith:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

mormonpartyboat posted:

hello derek what is your favorite kind of sandwich

Ham + Cheese + tomato + lettuce + Heinz Salad Cream (it's imported from the UK) in pizza pocket

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

There is nothing healthy about a $25K "bump" up from a $20K floor. You folks are acting like minor fluctuations in the day-to-day are conspicuous macro swings towards financial health. If they dropped $25K a day for a month they aren't even at $1M. That's a bad month of revenue for CIG.

Look at the reported weekly trends. They, too are not positive.

Are we to assume they artificially deflate their numbers? Why would they let such a huge delta exist between weekly yields if they wanted to convey an image of financial health when this does the opposite?

The more plausible explanation is that baseline averages are trending very low-- a sign that perhaps they're nearing Market Saturation for "Pre-Alpha!" Backers. This is corroborated by the rather clumsy introduction of the "Ref-Rul" program - to attempt to improve inflow of new backers through turning their existing backers into motivated evangelists. (All signs point to this not helping much- unsurprisingly.)

The huge spikes from limited sales are more plausibly explained by existing backers digging deeper and adding insult to their injuries by loading up on even more speculative space pixel 'investments'.

Remember there was a time a couple of years ago when the baseline averages were much, much higher. Even with no stimulus on CIG's part, they'd see several times the daily income via RSI. That was a picture of healthier new backer growth. If you can forgive the sloppy analogy, at one time, they were putting a straw into the fields at Spindeltop and money was absolutely exploding out of the ground. Those days are far past. Now they are injecting huge amounts of water into the ground to squeeze out reserves. When they do not inject, reserve pressures are low and only modest amounts of money are recovered.

So, as loathe as I am to say I actually trust CIG about something, the generally negative picture conveyed by their supposedly trustworthy daily income tracker does not appear to suggest manipulation. If they are being manipulated, then whoever is doing it is an idiot, because they are signaling a company which is having increasing financial difficulty.

Lastly, the picture above surely does NOT capture refunds issues. We do not know even the ballpark sum for monies refunded, but whatever it is, we know it would impact the above adversely. We DO know the above is likely to include Merchandise revenues-- because the big spike we recently saw was seemingly tied to the sale of Concierge (not-black) Black Cards. That is useful to remember, as we can discount the possibility that there are some unaccounted-for bonus incomes from merch helping to boost daily numbers. They're accounted for, and generally speaking, pretty lackluster...

I agree with your synopsis. However, seeing as this is CIG, nothing's off the table. And until I see the financials, I remain skeptical.

Note also that, despite doing refunds and terminating accounts, that has never impacted the "citizen" count. Not to mention the account duplicates (which I can attest to btw) in that 700K count.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Ghostlight posted:

Derek simultaneously has nothing going on in his life and that's why he spends so much time posting about Star Citizen lol get a life Derek you jealous nerd - but also if Derek doesn't post about Star Citizen for a couple of days it's because his medication isn't balanced and he's dying for attention lol sort out your poo poo Derek you hot mess.

hahaha yeah, I don't even know anymore. Each time I see that sub-Red show up in my Google Alerts, I just keep on scrolling.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

peter gabriel posted:

Page 341

They were, and I'm not making this poo poo up, they were giving familiar little nicknames to jpegs of ships that didn't exist, like they were familiar with them, or they used them daily or something.
That's when the penny really dropped, these were not rational people. We'd heard about the PDFs these crazy fuckers were making, user manuals [laughs] - again, not making this up, loving user manuals for jpegs. Crazy.
You have to understand, those were different times, Kickstarter allowed any old rear end in a top hat to fleece nerds with no come back. If you sat down now and told someone with a straight face that you could just post on a web site promising all kinds of insane bullshit and folk would simply throw cash at you, unquestioned, well. They'd think you were mad."

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

Wonder if they'll sell the $400 Constellation phoenix again during this sale.

Also possibly adding some form of space magic.

the future of drones

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I'm the 100s of man hours wasted on "sticky hands".

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I, too, wish to control expensive hardware with my dislocated limbs.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I'm the 100s of man hours wasted on "sticky hands".

if every hand bone isnt modeled in real time then I dont even want to play.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

McGiggins posted:

I, too, wish to control expensive hardware with my dislocated limbs.

this is the after death game play.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

peter gabriel posted:

Page 341

"[Scenario posted:

What Would You Do? Pt. 2"]
(I think it's great to see how other people would react in these circumstances, so I might make this a recurring thing. This post includes content that hasn't been playable in SC yet, so we'll have to use mild speculation.)

You enter Security Post Kareah with 3 friends. You recently saw a locally broadcast announcement that there was a large cache of personal weapons located in a supply hold at this outpost. You and your friends land here in a Freelancer MAX and 2 300i's (you weren't expecting any space combat and the location was close to where you heard the broadcast.)

You did, however, expect to see other players at the location also eager to loot the cache. Fortunately, you didn't see any other ships when you arrived.

You and 2 squadmates enter the security post while your 4th remains near the ships to alert you of any other incoming players. As you make your way to the storage area, your 4th player alerts you that they see an approaching Hull C with an F7C-M Hornet. They fly away to safety with the Freelancer. You hurry ahead to get to the loot before the newcomers, hoping that they don't instinctively destroy your remaining ships.

You reach the cache of supplies before the other party. You and your squadmates arm yourselves with 2 full sets of body armor heavy armor, 6 grenades, and some better-than-average handheld weapons. There's also 30 units (tons?) of moderately cheap cargo that you will be able to sell if you can get it to your ship and back to the station.

On your way back to the remaining ships, you hear gunfire near the landing area; a 3rd party must have arrived. In total, it sounds like there may be 5-12 hostile players. Your squadmate with the Freelancer MAX says that he is able to enlist the help of a 5th squad member and return back to the security post with him in an Avenger if things get hairy. His ETA is 4-5 minutes.

What do you do?

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

ShredsYouSay posted:

Does anyone still like the original Deus Ex? :corsair:
I go back and play it every other year. Still a fantastic game. The shooting starts off pretty inaccurate and frustrating but the writing and atmosphere is still top notch.

smashthestate

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Justin Tyme posted:

If you are dismissing this as being not possible, make sure you watch this clip of croberts saying they will do it as proof that it's possible despite there being absolutely no evidence they have anything of the sort working and can hardly get 12 ships in an instance at once

Yeah, it's bollocks.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

Ham + Cheese + tomato + lettuce + Heinz Salad Cream (it's imported from the UK) in pizza pocket

:yikes:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I go back and play it every other year. Still a fantastic game. The shooting starts off pretty inaccurate and frustrating but the writing and atmosphere is still top notch.

smashthestate
I want to play that new mod.

Revision.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also thank you to the person that bought me my av back

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

peter gabriel posted:

Page 341

ahahahahahaha! well done! I'm dying here.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

AP posted:

Wonder if they'll sell the $400 Constellation phoenix again during this sale

Why do these ships look so small (as if they were scaled down models of huge ships)? They have all of this detailing which would serve a useful function on large ships (observational decks). But on a ship designed for a couple of people it looks like cruft. Are they 'designed' to fly in atmosphere, because sci-fi novels often describe ships of this size as space coffins attached to big engines. I suppose those bits hanging off at the end are supposed to be the engines, but it doesn't look very functional at all.

my immersion

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

This isn't going to happen anytime soon considering the huge backlog of ships that need finishing:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3svfb8/idea_why_are_we_required_to_buy_any_ship_without/

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mirificus posted:

I like how "Mathilda2013" claims to be able to communicate with Karl, knows what Karl is up to, and knows Karl's familial status. They also both happen to be German auditors. Also, whatever "He is not Karl" means.

If anybody believed all that, they'd have to be really loving gullible. Hence, r/starcitizen.

I'm just going to point out that Karl/Raess/Matilda has used his real name and facebook account to comment in an online petition against Derek Smart without realizing that his facebook profile pic at that time was the same as one he used in one of their Raess accounts. Hopefully they've changed it by now, since they've decided to take on a crazy internet crusade against the one person in this dumb internet bullshit who hasn't ripped him off.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also I can't believe this dumb German can't tell when someone's joking about Loiosh.

Making a joke on an internet comedy forum? Unthinkable.

(P.S. Loiosh you're the best sincere poster in the thread.)

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
10 for the Chairman

Sorry if this was already posted...

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I'm just going to point out that Karl/Raess/Matilda has used his real name and facebook account to comment in an online petition against Derek Smart without realizing that his facebook profile pic at that time was the same as one he used in one of their Raess accounts. Hopefully they've changed it by now, since they've decided to take on a crazy internet crusade against the one person in this dumb internet bullshit who hasn't ripped him off.
You would think that a German auditor would be better at not missing details like that.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Because I don't want my thread history to be filled with me gawping at how dumb one guy is:

McGiggins posted:

BG2 was great and I was sad that I never got to multiplayer it with anyone.

I could never finish it because I was a dumb kid at the time and it was too complex

For what it's worth, it assumes you're familiar with 2e AD&D, which is like 3E except more convoluted but with that janky old-school charm.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Unrealistic Wish: A blocker ticker for current builds self.starcitizen
Submitted 3 hours ago by Devilfish_Jack
I wish that we could get a daily updated ticker for current blockers. I am pretty sure this wouldn't be possible or, much worse, be a waste of valuable time. Still, wish I could just go to RSI and see what happened today with as few words as possible.

quote:

[–]MrHerpDerp 18 pontos 2 hours ago
This amount of detailed interest would border on unhealthy. Allowing potential stakeholders to analyse the rate at which bocking issues are resolved would put a lot of undue pressure on devs and QA.
It's like asking someone to make a cake for you and then asking them how many seconds they stirred the mix.

quote:

[–]Devilfish_Jack[S] 3 pontos 2 hours ago
I honestly don't think they could be any more scrutinized but I definitely see your point.

quote:

[–]MrHerpDerp 3 pontos 2 hours ago
It's a management thing. Sometimes stakeholders in software projects want to know exactly what is going on at all times, but the amount of effort it can take to wrap things up nicely for them in reports can take a lot of time away from the people who should be doing something more important, and the ones that have time to spare usually don't know enough about the task to make it look good. It's best not to take the risk. The fact we get weekly status updates of as high a quality as we do is pretty loving impressive really.
Disclaimer: I'm talking out my rear end.
It's an open development thing, you wouldn't understand.

Wyld
Sep 2, 2015

Fun Shoe

G0RF posted:

10 for the Chairman

Sorry if this was already posted...

Thanks for the link. I only made it to around 10m in before I couldn't take any more of this guys horrible project management skills and his answer to everything thats coming soon. I was fixated on his answer on escape pods and what happens to multi-crew on death. Since he doesn't do a decent job of answering I google'd death in Star Citizen. Outside the amazing number of posts referring to this game as walking death I found this great quote, 'But I’m not interested in making EVE 2.0 with cockpits.' (https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/12879-Death-Of-A-Spaceman)

What in the glorious hell would this franken-game even be if it comes out? But to parrot all the other voices, why can't anyone stop these people from taking more money?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Page 127

"Gary Oldman? [Sigh] Let me tell you something about Gary Oldman, in fact that whole Hollywood actor stuff. That wasn't me, that came from, of all people, Ben.
It's something I have to accept, that people will never believe that, I've got this name as a wannabe, a Hollywood reject, whatever the term, you know, I was like that. Way back when. Wing Commander thrived off of all that bullshit, I got to loving hang out with Luke loving Skywalker for Christ sakes, so I do get why people think the Oldman situation was down to me, but it was Ben.

You have to understand one thing about Ben, he just wants to please everyone. He was a good guy and we still miss him. We honestly thought that bridge would hold.
Still, [jolting upright] Ben had this daily ritual where he'd come in, and yeah yeah yeah, he'd eat like a motherfucker, big surprise, ya da ya da. Anyway he'd always do the same thing every single day [laughs]. He'd eat his morning snack and out of the burger wrappers he'd do this weird scrunching thing, like totally screwing them up into tight little balls. We ignored it, as I say, nice guy, you let things go, whatever - everyone has their quirks.
So after a couple of months of this, like seriously, sixty days or so I finally give in and wait til he's away from his desk and go and have a proper look. [laughs] He's only gone and made the full loving cast of the Wing Commander Movie out of scrunched up burger wrappers.
I mean, all of them, all in a row stood there with these blank lifeless expressions on their mangled faces. [laughs] Man, all of them, Hammil up front and centre.

[Chris stops laughing at this point and goes silent for around 30 seconds] Then, then I hear it, from behind me. A slow, deliberate voice - "We can bring them back Chris, for real, we can bring them all back, all in a row, but alive. Like the old days Chris, just me and you. And them, alive."

That's the day we decided to build a bigger office."

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

D_Smart posted:

This is a full on :britain: ham salad. You're a man of impeccable taste.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
This is an interesting book

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

You know what would actually be really nice open development? Screenshots/logs of every change they make to their main build through github or whatever they use (minus spoilerish stuff like "Fixed Mark Hamill's death scene"). But, yknow, open development.

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

peter gabriel posted:

This is an interesting book

Can you copy paste the part about how he met Sandi?

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

Page 127

"Gary Oldman? [Sigh] Let me tell you something about Gary Oldman, in fact that whole Hollywood actor stuff. That wasn't me, that came from, of all people, Ben.
It's something I have to accept, that people will never believe that, I've got this name as a wannabe, a Hollywood reject, whatever the term, you know, I was like that. Way back when. Wing Commander thrived off of all that bullshit, I got to loving hang out with Luke loving Skywalker for Christ sakes, so I do get why people think the Oldman situation was down to me, but it was Ben.

You have to understand one thing about Ben, he just wants to please everyone. He was a good guy and we still miss him. We honestly thought that bridge would hold.
Still, [jolting upright] Ben had this daily ritual where he'd come in, and yeah yeah yeah, he'd eat like a motherfucker, big surprise, ya da ya da. Anyway he'd always do the same thing every single day [laughs]. He'd eat his morning snack and out of the burger wrappers he'd do this weird scrunching thing, like totally screwing them up into tight little balls. We ignored it, as I say, nice guy, you let things go, whatever - everyone has their quirks.
So after a couple of months of this, like seriously, sixty days or so I finally give in and wait til he's away from his desk and go and have a proper look. [laughs] He's only gone and made the full loving cast of the Wing Commander Movie out of scrunched up burger wrappers.
I mean, all of them, all in a row stood there with these blank lifeless expressions on their mangled faces. [laughs] Man, all of them, Hammil up front and centre.

[Chris stops laughing at this point and goes silent for around 30 seconds] Then, then I hear it, from behind me. A slow, deliberate voice - "We can bring them back Chris, for real, we can bring them all back, all in a row, but alive. Like the old days Chris, just me and you. And them, alive."

That's the day we decided to build a bigger office."

These are fantastic and I love Chris Roberts as played by Elliot Gould from ocean's 11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mJf24luhuo
I owe you from the thing with the guy with the Wing Commander, and I'll never forget it!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Justin Tyme posted:

You know what would actually be really nice open development? Screenshots/logs of every change they make to their main build through github or whatever they use (minus spoilerish stuff like "Fixed Mark Hamill's death scene"). But, yknow, open development.

It'd just be dozens of screenshots of the Microsoft Office paper clip saying "It looks like you're trying to make a computer game..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
I watched the first minute of that video and was greatly intrigued by Chris Roberts' thumbs. Is it normal to keep your thumbs locked in that position when gesticulating with your hands (it seems this Chirs Roberts guy is quite into his gesticulation)? Is that some kind of thumb paralysis from too many hours spent being an awesome wing commander? This is a serious post and I would appreciate a serious response tia.

Also holy poo poo does this dude need a script

• Locked thread