Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Considering that most people didn't get the ending at all I don't think it had "patronizing detail"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

The whole point of the ending is the baddie wins and The Doctor just has to bail on the whole thing. Granted the execution leaves alot to be desired but 'The Doctor [techs] something and the crisis is averted really misses the point of the episode's whole found-footage horror schtick

maybe would've worked better if they hadn't impressed on us so strongly that the possibility of the doctor failing would be the mass wipe out of the human race.
it leaves everyone thinking that there must be a bit more to come, or they've missed something. because the show isn't really going to do extinction.
if the stakes had been less melodramatic then the baddies getting away wouldn't be such a big deal.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cerv posted:

maybe would've worked better if they hadn't impressed on us so strongly that the possibility of the doctor failing would be the mass wipe out of the human race.
it leaves everyone thinking that there must be a bit more to come, or they've missed something. because the show isn't really going to do extinction.
if the stakes had been less melodramatic then the baddies getting away wouldn't be such a big deal.

I agree that would have been a better way to handle it. It was at least interesting to see an attempt at a genuine horror plot, it just really could have done with some revision regarding the scenario (notedly the scale, which as you say is far too apocalyptic) and The Doctor realising Something Was Up sometime before the last scene of the episode, you don't even get to really see him respond to the fact that he's been had, which really would be a great way to finish this type of story

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Welp, that was miserable poo poo. Hack writing at its worst. Why was the Doctor even in this episode? This felt like a bad SyFy reboot of the Twilight Zone.

Ugh... I want well written fun again!

Love and Monsters
Fear Her
Farting Alien Episodes
Daleks In Manhatten
now this Vagina-faced Sandmen episode...

Thanks Doctor Who; keep'em coming. Can't wait for the action figure.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Rochallor posted:

This is far from a good story but I don't understand at all the complaints about the sleep dust. It's thematically appropriate and it works from a folkloric perspective (the dust accumulates because nobody's sleeping).

Sleep dust accumulates while you are sleeping, hence the name. If no one is sleeping there will be no dust.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Rochallor posted:

This is far from a good story but I don't understand at all the complaints about the sleep dust. It's thematically appropriate and it works from a folkloric perspective (the dust accumulates because nobody's sleeping).

I never felt they justified the Doctor's (mistaken) fears that it would spread like a virus and wipe out all of humanity.

Ironically I was quite tired when I saw the episode, so I might have missed something.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Welp, that was miserable poo poo. Hack writing at its worst. Why was the Doctor even in this episode? This felt like a bad SyFy reboot of the Twilight Zone.

Love and Monsters
Fear Her
Farting Alien Episodes
Daleks In Manhatten

Why are you listing some well written fun with Love and Monsters, Fear Her, Daleks in Manhattan and this episode?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I don't get the :supaburn: OH MY GOD THAT WAS LOVE AND MONSTERS LEVEL BAD AAAA :supaburn: going around.

First off, no. This is not nearly as bad as Love and Monsters and Daleks in Manhatten and Fear Her.
It's a slightly disappointing horror story, not a trainwreck.

Secondly, again, it's an absurd premise but so is wi fi that eats people, TV signals that eat people, people who explode into sentient fat babies... RTD was full of these bizarre premises that are on the level of worrying you'll go down the bathroom drain, it's not some kind of new thing here and in fact a lot of people call those seasons better than modern who.

Honestly I found it as alright as an episode of Doctor Who needs to be. There's better episodes, but this is still better than all of last season.

Then again, maybe I'm the only one who found last season (besides the Two Good Episodes, Flatline and Mummy) a completely miserable experience and as long as an episode is better than that I'm good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Acne Rain posted:

I don't get the :supaburn: OH MY GOD THAT WAS LOVE AND MONSTERS LEVEL BAD AAAA :supaburn: going around.

First off, no. This is not nearly as bad as Love and Monsters and Daleks in Manhatten and Fear Her.

Unless I'm missing something, only one person has compared it to Love and Monsters/Daleks in Manhattan?

I think this wasn't a good episode, but it's not even the worst episode of season 9 (sadly).

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I quite enjoyed this episode. Had a few problems but the atmosphere was great. And it was fun to see Reece Shearsmith. People ITT acting like it's an all time worst episode is very confusing to me- there are at least three worse episodes in this series! Edit- actually Jru is right it was just one person saying that.

Though it didn't live up to the hype of being Gatiss' dream episode that he's been wanting to do for years and years.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Mr Beens posted:

Sleep dust accumulates while you are sleeping, hence the name. If no one is sleeping there will be no dust.

The Sandman leaves the dust in people's eyes while they sleep, hence if no one is sleeping the dust has nowhere to go except...turn into monsters. I'm not saying it's mechanically perfect, but it's fine.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
According to this unsourced article I found on the episode's wikipedia page, it had the lowest appreciation index since Love and Monsters. Numbers don't lie, episode-likers

I liked the episode outside of the ludicrous nature of the monsters. I was ok with it when it seemed like the Morpheus device caused your eye gunk to come to life and devour you, who knows what's going on in there. But when it's revealed a video artifact can do it, now that's just crazy

Also, I think the Doctor's moralizing about sleep is going to seem really pompous to future viewers who really have been freed from the need to sleep

joe football fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 16, 2015

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I think the sleep in your eye stuff was just an excuse to call the bad guys "sandmen" and have Shearsmith collapse into sand. I'm sure Gatiss could have thought of a better excuse though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rochallor posted:

The Sandman leaves the dust in people's eyes while they sleep, hence if no one is sleeping the dust has nowhere to go except...turn into monsters. I'm not saying it's mechanically perfect, but it's fine.

The actual Sandmen don't actually have to make any sense anyway since they basically exist as psychic projections (as does "Rasmussen" himself I believe) and everything said about them was nonsense designed to distract the in-universe viewers as they were infected. The actual "Sandman" is basically just an idea spread by that electric signal.

The more I think about it, the more the Sandman comes across as just The Great Intelligence without the backstory.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
I see folks are kinda explaining the plot to this episode, but I still have no idea what the bad guy was in this episode.

Is the dust just omnipresent? And sleeping is how we kill it?

Or does us not sleeping cause the dust to build up deposits that eat the person who isn't sleeping?

How did the dust record imagery that they could watch? Did the dust turn into a hard drive?

Is there some sort of physic link between all dust?

They lost me halfway through the episode and I still don't really understand what I just watched. Villain was dope tho and the special effects on him were great.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Love and Monsters
Fear Her
Farting Alien Episodes
Daleks In Manhatten

You literally just mentioned four episodes that aired years ago under a different showrunner.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Guys, here is the best new FB group I've discovered Off Target.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Acne Rain posted:

Honestly I found it as alright as an episode of Doctor Who needs to be. There's better episodes, but this is still better than all of last season.

Then again, maybe I'm the only one who found last season (besides the Two Good Episodes, Flatline and Mummy) a completely miserable experience and as long as an episode is better than that I'm good.

yeah are you from a parallel loving universe?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

This terrifying story is assembled from footage discovered in the wreckage of Le Verrier Space Station.

Peter Capaldi is the Doctor in Sleep No More.

X X X X X

Cast
The Doctor - Peter Capaldi
Clara - Jenna Coleman
Professor Rassmussen - Reece Shearsmith
Nagata - Elaine Tan
Chopra - Neet Mohan
474 - Bethany Black
Deep-Ando - Paul Courtenay Hyu
Sandmen - Paul Davis, Tom Wilton, Matthew Doman
Morpheus Presenter - Zina Badran
Hologram Singer - Natasha Patel
Hologram Singer - Elizabeth Chong
Hologram Singer - Nikkita Chadha
Hologram Singer - Gracie Lai

Written by: Mark Gatiss
Director: Justin Moltinikov

Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3F9elGIeH4

Gifs by: J-Ru

X X X X X

When a show has been part of pop culture for over five decades, it's important to try new things every now and again. A new cast member, different narrative directions, a change in the budget; anything to spice up the show's familiar trappings with a fresh coat of paint. However, one can't just throw a new coat of paint on the wall and call it a day. Trying something new solely for the sake of trying something new can lead to the original object looking faded and frayed. The new thing has to mix well with the old thing, much like how this opening paragraph needs a much better set of analogies to go along with its attempt at a central idea.

Sleep No More is a neat experiment – an episode of Doctor Who told solely through “found footage.” It's a bold attempt at storytelling, putting the viewer directly in the heart of the action as the Doctor and Clara find themselves under siege by a relentless new foe. But a concept episode such as this one only works if the story and narrative are good enough to carry it. If they're not then it doesn't matter how bold or innovative the episode is. It will simply fall flat and lifeless.

Orbiting Neptune's moon of Triton, the The Le Verrier space station has gone dark. A four-person rescue team has landed in an attempt to establish communications and determine what has happened to the station's workers. The team encounters the Doctor and Clara who have also found themselves drawn to the deserted station. It doesn't take long for the team to encounter the station's sole survivor, Doctor Rassmussen. But before they meet him, they encounter the creatures responsible for the death of the station's crew – creatures who appeared to be comprised of congealed sand and spring from the depths of human sleep...or lack thereof...

If there's one thing I can say about Mark Gatiss, it's this – he writes episodes of Doctor Who. Gatiss is one of the United Kingdom's most influential entertainment figures as an actor and writer, starring in shows such as Game of Thrones as well as serving as co-creator for The League of Gentlemen and Sherlock. Gatiss has also been a fan of Doctor Who since childhood, writing for both the television as well as penning two stories for Big Finish and the 50th anniversary television movie An Adventure in Space and Time about the early days of the show and appearing as the villain in the Tenth Doctor story The Lazarus Experiment. While there's no denying his love for the show, his writing efforts haven't quite lived up to expectations. His slate of episodes have been uneven and divisive among the fan base, running from “serviceable” (Cold War, Robot of Sherwood) to “what could have been” (The Idiot's Lantern, Victory of the Daleks). It's not a knock on Gatiss...for the record, I've enjoyed the majority of his output both in and out of Who...but with his writing pedigree comes some expectations with regards to his stories.

Sleep No More is ambitious, told solely in the first-person in a “found footage” style. The viewer sees the story unravel from the direct point-of-view of the characters and security cameras. It's a style popularized by the release of The Blair With Project in the late 1990's as a low-budget way to tell stories. The format has continued since then with releases such as the horror movie REC (and its American remake Quarantine), the monster movie Cloverfield and the comedy movie Project X, as well as a new style of making...ahem...adult movies. Done right, the format can tell a gripping and engaging story. Done badly, the story gets lost in the throes of “shaky cam” and confusion of who is filming and who is talking. Sleep No More both works and doesn't work in this regard. It works in the regard that there's a sense of urgency that comes from the viewer being directly in the action, not just when the Sandmen attack but when the Doctor is staring the viewer directly in the face. It's one thing to see the Doctor in profile, boldly telling off the monsters. It's another thing to have him looking at you, giving you a full look at his intelligence, his wonder, disdain, and his annoyance. But it doesn't work in terms of editing and direction. With five characters and the security cameras, it's very hard to determine who is talking sometimes and who they're talking to, meaning there's a lot of off-screen dialogue and quick pans/cuts between the characters. It would have been to director Justin Moltinikov's benefit to use a less frantic style with regards to the helmet cameras and for Gatiss to have tightened the script a little more to ensure both the action and dialogue was easier to follow.

(I do need to point out that both the story's “twist” about the footage and the occasional bridging piece by Doctor Rassmussen doesn't make this a true “found footage” story, but it's close enough for government work in my eyes)

It's also important for an experimental episode for the plot to...well, make sense. There's the seed of a VERY good idea here. In the 38th century, the corporations on Triton have come up with the Morpheus Machine, a machine that compresses a month's worth of sleep into five minutes, ensuring workers can work 16 hour days without worrying about fatigue or loss of productivity. The Doctor's reaction to this concept is just perfect.

quote:

The Doctor: "Sleep, that knits up the ravelled sleeve of care. The death of each day's life, sore labour's bath. Balm of hurt minds, chief nourisher in life's great feast." Congratulations, Professor! You've revolutionised the labour market! You've conquered nature! 

Rassmussen: Thank you. 

The Doctor: You've also created an abomination.

The lack of sleep has long-term ramifications leading to the rise of a new species of monster – the Sandmen. There were so many places Gatiss could have taken them – creatures from the id ala Forbidden Planet or perhaps the Creepypasta The Russian Sleep Experiment where denying sleep to political prisoners leads to creatures from beyond breaking down the metaphysical protections that only sleep provides. Instead...the Sandmen are created from rheum, aka the dust that collects in the corner of your eyes, aka “sleep boogers.” Yes, the monsters in a Mark Gatiss script are comprised of a whole bunch of eye boogers. I am not making this up. It's just...of all the things, sleep boogers? Really? There's also a couple of minor quibbles – the door being locked and coded only to open to the singing of “Mr Sandman” was jarring and out of place, as was the clone that was bred for war succumbing from walking through flames two inches high as well as a group of trained soldiers hardly using their guns the entire episode (and the one time the Commanding Officer uses the gun, Clara yells at her “is that your solution for everything?”). But it's the monsters, who look incredibly disturbing, that just fall flat.

Now, here's the thing – the final twist looks fantastic and incredibly creepy and attempts to explain just why the story is so disjointed and weak (at one point, the Doctor just flat out yells “this all makes no sense!”). The whole episode was just a story told by Doctor Rasmussen to hold the viewer's interest because it's not the Morpheus Machines that create the Sandmen – it's the signal that is embedded with the video that makes up the episode, and now the viewer has a little something in their eye...

It's a very Twilight Zone/Outer Limits type of hopeless ending with a hint of Joseph Lidster. But it also feels like it's an excuse that can be used to ignore the flaws and plot holes in the rest of the episode. And Gatiss is a better writer than that. If you're going to utilize an ending like this, the rest of the episode has to be an absolute grabber, one that keeps the viewer's interest the whole way through. Blink was a perfect example of this; a unique type of episode that was gripping and featured the “any statue could be a Weeping Angel” montage at the end. I don't think I took my eyes off-screen the entire time. During Sleep No More, I kept glancing at my phone and wondering when I could go upstairs to play some Fallout 4. The ending to this episode just feels like an attempt at a big twist, but if you're going to pull off that twist the rest of the episode has to hold up or suffer from just the events of the twist, not minor quibbles like doors locked by song or soldiers who rarely use their guns.

I wish I could find some good in this episode, but I really can't. The introduction of the rescue crew by “chance of survivability” was neat, but beyond that I couldn't tell you anything about the rescue crew, save for the clone 474. She's played by Bethany Black, the first transsexual actress (actor?) in the show's history who portrays the simple soldier bred for war with some wonderfully sparse and direct dialogue (trivia note – she is a lifelong Doctor Who fan and confused Mark Gatiss by asking if this episode was tied to the Fourth Doctor episode The Sun Makers since both are set in the 38th century!). Reece Shearsmith also deserves a shout-out as the creepy Doctor Rassmussen, drawing from his experiences with The League of Gentlemen and Pyschoville to play the true antagonist of the episode. It's not just the unease he exudes, but his pride at the creation of the Morpheus Machines as well that shows just how off the character is. Beyond that not even Jenna Coleman and Peter Capaldi could save this episode. It wasn't just the format which meant that the pair couldn't rely on their body language and facial expression as much as they normally would. It was the writing for both of them being so below the usual mark that it dragged down both characters. It feels like it's been a trend all season of Coleman and Capaldi pulling the scripts up towards them when needed, but they just couldn't keep a firm grip this time out.

I'm still waiting for the knockout Mark Gatiss episode. I know he has one in him somewhere, as he's just too drat talented for the slate of “C+” stories that he's given the show. Sleep No More is an attempt at a unique, original episode that just falls apart as the separate pieces fail to fit together and the ending doesn't excuse the mistakes with the rest of the story.

Although, the twist ending could just be the set-up for the inevitable sequel that Gatiss and Moffat have both gone on record as planning...

Random Thoughts
- The Great Catastrophe mentioned at bringing India and Japan closer together has been confirmed by Gatiss as being the same disaster that afflicted Earth in the backstory for the Fifth Doctor story Frontios
- This is the first episode of Doctor Who not to have the familiar opening title sequence.

- I just want to put this picture here for no reason.

Cobi's Synopsis – An experiment episode in the “found footage” style, Sleep No More fails to click thanks to a disjointed script, monsters with a truly silly origin, and a final scene that attempts to excuse the story's weaknesses via a Twilight Zone twist.

Next Up - With a death sentence hanging over their heads, not all of the intruders will get out alive.…

Peter Capaldi is the Doctor in...Face the Raven.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

I'm still waiting for the knockout Mark Gatiss episode.

The Crimson Horror was fantastic, even if it's two very distinct genres - the first half spooky mystery, the second half joyous comedy - and I really enjoyed Robot of Sherwood. So I thought Gatiss was on an upward trend until this story, which unfortunately really fell flat for me. Still, I appreciate that he just continually tries new things in his writing. It is probably both a strength and a weakness that there isn't really a sense of what a "Gatiss Story" actually means for Who.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I really do hate how Twilight Zone has become the defacto 'sad twist ending' thing, since it didn't rely on those nearly as much as you might think. Mostly because it's wrong and there are barely any 'cruel twist endings' in Twilight Zone.

Cobi was far closer to the mark when he name dropped Outer Limits, which was the real TWIST FOR THE SAKE OF IT NOW EVERYONE DIES AND SUFFERS king. Especially in its latter incarnation which is likely more remembered than its former.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Michelle Gomez on Gotham!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Michelle Gomez on Gotham!

I haven't watched an episode since the first of Season 2 (really season 3), has it got any better?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

I haven't watched an episode since the first of Season 2 (really season 3), has it got any better?

Season 2 is a huge step up. They got rid of a ton of the crap from season 1, brought in Michael Chiklis and David Frain as series regulars. They've really upped their game.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Will have to get caught up, though with Alias coming out on Friday I imagine it'll be a little while still before I get to it.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Will have to get caught up, though with Alias coming out on Friday I imagine it'll be a little while still before I get to it.

Alias? The show about a spy?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

The Crimson Horror was fantastic, even if it's two very distinct genres - the first half spooky mystery, the second half joyous comedy - and I really enjoyed Robot of Sherwood. So I thought Gatiss was on an upward trend until this story, which unfortunately really fell flat for me. Still, I appreciate that he just continually tries new things in his writing. It is probably both a strength and a weakness that there isn't really a sense of what a "Gatiss Story" actually means for Who.

I liked Robot of Sherwood but I couldn't tell you anything about The Crimson Horror other than "chest worms" and Strax. It just never stuck with me for some reason.

I appreciate Gatiss trying something new - his stories tend to be set in the historical past but with different themes. I just see his pedigree and I'm hoping for a Father's Day or Flatline.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

It's a show based on an (excellent) Marvel comic, about what is basically a C-level Superhero whose entire life has fallen apart, and she's struggling to make a living as a private eye and doing the odd side-job as hired muscle, occasionally thinking back to the glory years of her career when she was hanging out with A-Listers. David Tennant is playing the central antagonist - the storyline between the two it is based on is one of the most hosed up and unsettling things I've ever read in a comic (with an amazing, inspiring ending).

Happily I managed to forget it was due out until a couple of days ago when Infinitium reminded me :hellyeah:

CobiWann posted:

I liked Robot of Sherwood but I couldn't tell you anything about The Crimson Horror other than "chest worms" and Strax. It just never stuck with me for some reason.

Doctor: Mrs Gillyflower, in the wrong hands that thing could be a terrible weapon!
Mrs Gillyflower (showing her hands): You know what these are Doctor? .....the wrong hands! :haw:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 17, 2015

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

CobiWann posted:

Marvel's Jessica Jones.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

DoctorWhat posted:

Marvel's Jessica Jones.

Ah. This is the name I know it as!

We're celebrating Thanksgiving this weekend, I know what I'll be watching when hiding from wife's friends and relatives.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Unless I'm missing something, only one person has compared it to Love and Monsters/Daleks in Manhattan?

I think this wasn't a good episode, but it's not even the worst episode of season 9 (sadly).

I'd put it on the low end of Doctor Who episodes, but in a "second worst of the season" way (since every season seems to have one completely egregious episode in it).

I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, but I hated the direction and editing in the episode which was representative of what's usually wrong with the found footage genre. A lot of the cheapness of the look of this episode came from how badly it was shot, I think.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DoctorWhat posted:

Marvel's Jessica Jones.

Yeah, they couldn't secure the name Alias because there's supposedly a revival of that show in the works.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

The_Doctor posted:

Guys, here is the best new FB group I've discovered Off Target.

If you like those then I recommend this blog by the guy who did the 'Space Sandmen' Target cover - he's done mock Target covers for the entire post-2005 series as well as recently completing ones for Seasons 1 through 6.

Plus the rest of the content is always good for a giggle...

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

'Rasmussen didn't want to fight The Doctor directly so he created a false narrative where he lost so The Doctor would leave' is an interesting angle as well. I think that's actually a pretty great plan.

Yeah, aside from "Shoot him as soon as you see him, and never stop shooting." making him think he's won and then following through with your evil plan is probably the best way to handle The Doctor. Lots of villains try to do this, but then unveil how they've duped him while he's still there, so then of course he's going to think of a way to beat them. The closest thing to this I can think of on the top of my head is murder on the orient express, where an AI uses the Doctor and the guy behind the AI gets off Scott free. If you want an example of a pretty good 12th Doctor episode where the bad guys (mostly) win at the end, I'd put that right at the top of my list.

I also just had a totally goofy Doctor Who fan idea pop into my head that I laid out below, please ignore it if that sort of thing isn't your cup of tea.

I'd love to see a Moriarty-esque villain who is close to the Doctor's intellectual equal and lures the Doctor in for his own purposes. Maybe he pretends to be a good guy all along, or he just pretends to be defeated, but he uses the Doctor's presence to study the Tardis and become able to jury-rig up a basic form of time travel of his own, maybe one that has significant flaws like only being able to be used once before having to be rebuilt from scratch at wherever you end up. Basically, someone who is able to cause near Master-level carnage while still only being a human or a very smart alien, and working with very primitive technology compared to the Doctor but being ruthless in its use. Hell, we've seen the Doctor go through boatloads of time in the past, do a season finale two-parter where he locks the Doctor up, and the Doctor doesn't get rescued (and he does need to be rescued) until after he's been stuck there for a year or more. Now you've made a fresh new baddie for the Doctor to deal with and we get to hear Capaldi go off on a rant about how he had nothing to do for a year but think of ways to make the bad guy pay. I'm just using "he" as a catch all by the way, the bad person could be female, alien, robot, whatever.

If you want to get really :tinfoil: then do a story like that where he's adventuring with his new companion from the present day after Clara's departure, they have a few episodes of adventure (or most of a series if you're being really ambitious), then they're in the 1400s or something and run into the past version of the new companion, at which point the "present" version KO's the doctor, chains him up, and goes off to cause havoc in the Tardis. You could even have him drop off the "past" version in the "present" using the Tardis to set the whole thing up, basically do another Bethoven paradox deal. The endgame of this is whoever the next companion is, they need to really work to earn the Doctor's trust and he keeps getting paranoid when they're doing something as minor as making a call on their cell. If they run off with the Tardis and cause havoc, 12 could also have guilt about allowing that to happen.

It's too bad Clara's been around too much to do that kind of deal with her, because she's gotten more Tardis training than any other companion I can recall and would have at least a prayer of using it on her own.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

NowonSA posted:

I'd love to see a Moriarty-esque villain who is close to the Doctor's intellectual equal and lures the Doctor in for his own purposes. Maybe he pretends to be a good guy all along, or he just pretends to be defeated, but he uses the Doctor's presence to study the Tardis and become able to jury-rig up a basic form of time travel of his own, maybe one that has significant flaws like only being able to be used once before having to be rebuilt from scratch at wherever you end up. Basically, someone who is able to cause near Master-level carnage while still only being a human or a very smart alien, and working with very primitive technology compared to the Doctor but being ruthless in its use. Hell, we've seen the Doctor go through boatloads of time in the past, do a season finale two-parter where he locks the Doctor up, and the Doctor doesn't get rescued (and he does need to be rescued) until after he's been stuck there for a year or more. Now you've made a fresh new baddie for the Doctor to deal with and we get to hear Capaldi go off on a rant about how he had nothing to do for a year but think of ways to make the bad guy pay. I'm just using "he" as a catch all by the way, the bad person could be female, alien, robot, whatever.

If you want to get really :tinfoil: then do a story like that where he's adventuring with his new companion from the present day after Clara's departure, they have a few episodes of adventure (or most of a series if you're being really ambitious), then they're in the 1400s or something and run into the past version of the new companion, at which point the "present" version KO's the doctor, chains him up, and goes off to cause havoc in the Tardis. You could even have him drop off the "past" version in the "present" using the Tardis to set the whole thing up, basically do another Bethoven paradox deal. The endgame of this is whoever the next companion is, they need to really work to earn the Doctor's trust and he keeps getting paranoid when they're doing something as minor as making a call on their cell. If they run off with the Tardis and cause havoc, 12 could also have guilt about allowing that to happen.

I had an idea like this ages ago, of a villain who was just a normal modern-age guy but made himself a strong and credible Doctor-level threat by just salvaging enough Dalek/Cybermen/Sontaran/whatever tech and using it himself. He'd disappear somehow at the end of the episode, only to come back in an entirely different place and time, because he knows exactly what the best piece of alien tech that ever hit Earth was, and stows away on it until they take him somewhere good.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Actually kind of reminds me of a dark side Jack Harkness.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Haha, River Song is actually what came immediately to mind for me :)

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Cleretic posted:

I had an idea like this ages ago, of a villain who was just a normal modern-age guy but made himself a strong and credible Doctor-level threat by just salvaging enough Dalek/Cybermen/Sontaran/whatever tech and using it himself. He'd disappear somehow at the end of the episode, only to come back in an entirely different place and time, because he knows exactly what the best piece of alien tech that ever hit Earth was, and stows away on it until they take him somewhere good.

Sooooo, the billionaire/collector/jerk Henry van Statten from "Dalek" but also he survives? They never really did wrap up with whatever his secretary does with all that alien tech after she wipes van Statten's mind and takes over. Once Eccles and Rose leave with Adam-The-Two-Ep-Companion it's not really an overly important issue for Earth's development I guess.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

The details are wildly different, but to my mind that hits most of the same story beats as the Professor Yana reveal and subsequent TARDIS theft/rigging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Sooooo, the billionaire/collector/jerk Henry van Statten from "Dalek" but also he survives? They never really did wrap up with whatever his secretary does with all that alien tech after she wipes van Statten's mind and takes over. Once Eccles and Rose leave with Adam-The-Two-Ep-Companion it's not really an overly important issue for Earth's development I guess.

She filled the base with cement.

• Locked thread