Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Sir Unimaginative posted:

My concern with security management by third parties is not so much that they're hackable, but that what recourse do you have when you do end up compromised. Who licenses/bonds/audits password management firms?
Same goes for your KeePass db or your windows install or your phone. Yes, you give a wider surface of attack by using a cloud provider, but you're also gaining a ton more convenience.

I mean, yes that's a trade off you should think about, but it's not as cut and dry of a decision as you make it out to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Emby is a pretty cool alternative to Plex. Fully open source, even the server. They have a plex-pass like Premiere feature, but I would imagine that is only for people who really need local device sync.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

kri kri posted:

Emby is a pretty cool alternative to Plex. Fully open source, even the server. They have a plex-pass like Premiere feature, but I would imagine that is only for people who really need local device sync.

Plus it's great to have if you're running multiple instances of Kodi in your home.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
ACR Call Recorder - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nll.acr&hl=en

Its great for recording phone calls if you have a non-nexus device (on Nexus devices you have to root to record both sides of a convo). Backs up to the cloud if you want.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Tasker is dead and you have the 2FA stuff in the OP twice.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Are there any good free camera apps? My Nexus 6P and my girlfriend's 5x seem bad at close ups, and unless I'm missing something, the default camera app doesn't have focus modes. Might be a hardware limitation, but I sort of doubt it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Whizbang posted:

Tasker is dead.

Say what?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Whizbang posted:

Tasker is dead and you have the 2FA stuff in the OP twice.

Tasker is dead? I haven't been keeping up with it, but I paid for it back in the day. IFTT does most of what I need to automate without Tasker and it doesn't require a guy to have to read the manual to make it work, so I sort of stuck with that. But I figured Tasker was in it for the long haul, since those huge nerds didn't leave their house and were probably stuck with this forever.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Weather Underground is a pretty, data-oriented weather app

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

XIII posted:

Say what?

It's been taken off the play store and the dev is supposedly seriously ill.

Fall
Jun 6, 2011

Uthor posted:

What makes Fleksy better than SwiftKey?

Gestures which actually work really well for blind typing, and extensions.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Whizbang posted:

It's been taken off the play store and the dev is supposedly seriously ill.

Wow that sucks :(

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

I've been using Mr. Number and Whitepages to filter calls and block spam. While it works well, I'm wondering if anyone has a better recommendation?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Why won't Google let me pay for ad free Weather Underground with my Survey Funbux? :(

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

For anyone using light flow on M, a 'new' (old) version is out that gets rid of the annoying persistent notification

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rageconsulting.android.lightflowlegacy

It still has the problem where the ambient display pulses a few times when you switch off the screen, but its a big improvement

If you paid for light flow , make sure you have the pro version installed before you install this one

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FlyingCheese posted:

Why won't Google let me pay for ad free Weather Underground with my Survey Funbux? :(

Do you have enough Survey Funbux to cover the cost? You can't split payment methods.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Whizbang posted:

Tasker is dead

I have been using Llama from the start and it's quite nice.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Pushbullet has gone pro. https://www.pushbullet.com/pro

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Whizbang posted:

Tasker is dead

Huh? Is that an opinion or is it for real abandoned? I love tasker.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Mogomra posted:

Huh? Is that an opinion or is it for real abandoned? I love tasker.

It was taken off the Play Store by Google for using the override-doze permission without good reason, but the Tasker dev says he only ever declared that permission on the manual APK download build, never on the Play Store build.

:iiam:

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
As a web developer, there are two apps that I use on my phone/tablet for small changes or access to my servers.

JuiceSSH is listed in the OP and is well worth whatever I paid to have the ability to save snippets. For things like restarting apache, it's easier to do it from my phone than from putty or anything else I use on my laptop. I also keep AWD - PHP/HTML/CSS/JS IDE (great name) around just in case I'm out somewhere and I need to make a change to html or simple php code in some sort of emergency boss freak out situation.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

repiv posted:

It was taken off the Play Store by Google for using the override-doze permission without good reason, but the Tasker dev says he only ever declared that permission on the manual APK download build, never on the Play Store build.

:iiam:

Well son of a bitch. :saddowns:

I'm sure Google knew about the manual APK installs. Doesn't it explicitly ask if it's OK to send data to Google when you try to sideload an app? I haven't done that in ages.

Does he have a blog or social media profile he updates? I didn't see that on the Tasker website.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Mogomra posted:

Does he have a blog or social media profile he updates? I didn't see that on the Tasker website.

He posts on a Google Group as Pent.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

With the big one being you no longer get notification actions unless you're Pro.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

DemonMage posted:

With the big one being you no longer get notification actions unless you're Pro.

And it's a subscription?

Pushbullet's nice, but it ain't that nice.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

LastInLine posted:

Do you have enough Survey Funbux to cover the cost? You can't split payment methods.

Yeah I do, I have close to $80 worth...

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 17, 2015

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

docbeard posted:

And it's a subscription?

Pushbullet's nice, but it ain't that nice.

That sort of program almost has to be a subscription. There's stuff running in the background which requires servers and bandwidth. I'm not paying that just to be able to control my notifications. I actually don't use it much but when I do it's been really nice. But I'll probably end up paying anyway because it is a good program and I'm about supporting good developers.

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 17, 2015

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
What are people using for recipe storage? I'd like to put a tablet in my kitchen and get rid of the shelf of cookbooks. Basically, I'm looking for something where I can (ideally) copy and paste into a virtual recipe card and save. If nothing else, I need an app that will allow me to save my recipes, and isn't a collection of Food Network recipes (or whatever.)

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

FlyingCheese posted:

Yeah I do, I have close to $80 worth...

You can't use Google Play credit to pay for in-app subscriptions, for some reason.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

berzerkmonkey posted:

What are people using for recipe storage? I'd like to put a tablet in my kitchen and get rid of the shelf of cookbooks. Basically, I'm looking for something where I can (ideally) copy and paste into a virtual recipe card and save. If nothing else, I need an app that will allow me to save my recipes, and isn't a collection of Food Network recipes (or whatever.)

I haven't tried too many other options, but I use Asparagus.

You can add recipes manually, or if you find recipes online and they're in the proper format, you can share that page from your browser to Asparagus and it'll (hopefully) grab all the right things and create the recipe for you. When it works, it's pretty nice. But some of the smaller sites don't use the standard recipe format and you have to copy and paste.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

beerinator posted:

I haven't tried too many other options, but I use Asparagus.

You can add recipes manually, or if you find recipes online and they're in the proper format, you can share that page from your browser to Asparagus and it'll (hopefully) grab all the right things and create the recipe for you. When it works, it's pretty nice. But some of the smaller sites don't use the standard recipe format and you have to copy and paste.

I'll give it a shot - thanks. I also came across Pepperplate. It works across PC, iOS, and Android, so I can edit on the PC and view on tablet. Strangely, the PC version seems to be a little more limited than the Android app (sorting by category is missing on PC, for instance).

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'll give it a shot - thanks. I also came across Pepperplate. It works across PC, iOS, and Android, so I can edit on the PC and view on tablet. Strangely, the PC version seems to be a little more limited than the Android app (sorting by category is missing on PC, for instance).

Read the Asparagus reviews before paying the in app purchase. I just saw it hasn't been updated in a while. It still works well for me, but there are people complaining about specific things in the reviews. Being able to have pc/app integration sounds like it would be really good. I would much rather import a lot of recipes with copy/paste on a pc than on a phone.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

rotaryfun posted:

That sort of program almost has to be a subscription. There's stuff running in the background which requires servers and bandwidth. I'm not paying that just to be able to control my notifications. I actually don't use it much but when I do it's been really nice. But I'll probably end up paying anyway because it is a good program and I'm about supporting good developers.

Pushbullet is $40/year now. I like it a lot, but not for that price.

What were the alternatives? I stopped paying attention after finding Pushbullet.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

effika posted:

Pushbullet is $40/year now. I like it a lot, but not for that price.

What were the alternatives? I stopped paying attention after finding Pushbullet.

Same.
The only thing I use it for is the SMS to computer. I have too many people that insist on using SMS instead of Hangouts. I really hate typing from my phone, I've always been terrible at it (Both physical and hardware keyboards). I'd 100% of the time rather use my computer to send messages.

Moto connect worked for a little while, but my work network jacks it up so its no good to me now :(.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I still use Chrome to Phone and MightyText. I didn't use Pushbullet so I don't know what it did that was different. I feel pretty good about that decision now.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

berzerkmonkey posted:

I make pdfs of recipes and store them in a folder in Dropbox. For shopping I use Our Groceries.

Twain of Pain
Dec 14, 2006

berzerkmonkey posted:

I just started using Paprika which seems to work pretty well. Not sure if it's worth $5 but it hasn't been a bad use of Google funbux. It's also recommended by The Wirecutter who generally seem to know their stuff.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

deong posted:

I've always been terrible at it (Both physical and hardware keyboards).

Because of your shaky hands.

I'm not thrilled, and think the prices are kinda steep, but I'll just pay the $40 and move on with my day. I use it nonstop and have gotten a year or two worth of free use, so $40 isn't bad.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Twain of Pain posted:

I just started using Paprika which seems to work pretty well. Not sure if it's worth $5 but it hasn't been a bad use of Google funbux. It's also recommended by The Wirecutter who generally seem to know their stuff.

I know the dev for Paprika used to post here a couple of years ago. I liked the app well enough but it had some weird Android quirks.

Edit: And it hasn't been updated in a long time.

Updated
January 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

The rear end Stooge posted:

You can't use Google Play credit to pay for in-app subscriptions, for some reason.

Well that's stupid. Ugh google...