Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

alphabettitouretti posted:

Otherwise CIG will be forced to sell the POTATO again.

Is that a thing that really happened? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, that's who I was referring to. At least I think that was him, last I checked. Regardless, someone was jailed for fraud related to the 38 Studios fiasco. And regardless of how they were connected to it, my statement that "someone went to jail for fraud" is still valid.

No, it's not. Being jailed for something implies a criminal case, not a civil case. Rhode Island brought a civil case because they had no primary evidence of fraud that would have interested the FBI, mainly because their assertion is a risk assessment was *ignored*. Bear in mind that you have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that there was a specific attempt to defraud, rather than simply being forgetful or crap. Most fraud cases that are actually heard involve someone handing someone else money.

To specify this more, to be jailed for fraud in the 38 studios case, you'd need to be named as a defendent for the crime, convicted and jailed. That's the thing that I cannot find.

Fraud is deliberate deception; that's the level that you have to prove. Throwing around the word as red meat is all well and good, but most fraud cases collapse on 'deliberate deception'.

ShredsYouSay posted:

whatever happened with that clang project, did anyone get their money back

No. They set up some sort of website for processing refunds, but slunk away from it. The guy who backed at the level of the sword got his, but everyone else got shafted. The 'alpha' they claimed to release was literally a demo level in Unity. To be fair that one was a terrible pitch by a guy that probably regrets fronting his friends.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Wuxi posted:

Is that a thing that really happened? :psyduck:

Derek spoiled the name of the ship they were gonna sell at that stupid Citizencon thing, but he did it quite early so they had time to change it. Unfortunately they forget to swap the placeholder text with the actual name so it just said POTATO.

I should clarify there was no proof that the name he revealed was right but it was an odd coincidence that the ship name ended up being POTATO for a while. Certainly seemed like he made them panic a little and they hosed up in an amusing manner.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Yes. Salt the ship names.

Even adding " will be sold during the CIG anniversary sale" to the end of the name will defeat rainbow tables and remove any ambiguity later on.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

lol Bitcoin

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Encrypt a 20 paragraph blog post so they try to change everything then just release the ship names in plain text on the morning before the sale anyway.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

T.G. Xarbala posted:

If anybody believed all that, they'd have to be really loving gullible. Hence, r/starcitizen.

I'm just going to point out that Karl/Raess/Matilda has used his real name and facebook account to comment in an online petition against Derek Smart without realizing that his facebook profile pic at that time was the same as one he used in one of their Raess accounts. Hopefully they've changed it by now, since they've decided to take on a crazy internet crusade against the one person in this dumb internet bullshit who hasn't ripped him off.

Yeah, we caught that; and posted about that dumb gently caress, after we connected (no doxing even required that time) all the dots.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Wyld posted:

Thanks for the link. I only made it to around 10m in before I couldn't take any more of this guys horrible project management skills and his answer to everything thats coming soon. I was fixated on his answer on escape pods and what happens to multi-crew on death. Since he doesn't do a decent job of answering I google'd death in Star Citizen. Outside the amazing number of posts referring to this game as walking death I found this great quote, 'But I’m not interested in making EVE 2.0 with cockpits.' (https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/12879-Death-Of-A-Spaceman)

What in the glorious hell would this franken-game even be if it comes out? But to parrot all the other voices, why can't anyone stop these people from taking more money?

Yes. It's a farce. It's FUBAR. And it's now just a money grab.

Sadly, it's not illegal to keep taking money; unless the Feds step in, investigate, and deem it to be an illegal enterprise.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

AP posted:

Doesn't matter if it had to be done or not, a lot of stupid stuff was said at the time by Frontier that people weren't entitled to refunds, they were and so eventually they got them if they stuck with it. The benefits of having offline mode can be argued and the disadvantages of having it impact other features too but that's not the reason I mentioned it.

I understand if you like elite and think it's great, if they are keeping their promises for everything else I think Frontier deserve to be applauded, but they hosed up the PR during the offline feature cut and nobody can successfully argue they didn't. If they'd offered refunds immediately they'd probably have come out ahead in PR due to the positive reaction and had fewer refunds. You can trust someone who fucks up more than someone lying to you about your rights.

And to come back to CIG, still talking about "donations" and no rights to a refund.

No, FD gave refunds to people that could not play and were waiting for the offline mode in order to play. What they didn't want to do was give refunds to people that had 10's to 100's of hours playing ONLINE and that were now demanding a refund.

FD sold early access to ED, now that early access was over what was stopping people from demanding a refund and then just buying again for cheaper? How do you tell who wanted a refund because of the loss of offline and who was trying to game the system?

FD was in the right to not give refunds to people that put in 10's of hours of gameplay in a ONLINE ONLY game, sorry but you don't get to play the "well I only bought it for offline" if you have been playing online for that long.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I guess the other possible concept sale they could do would be the Cutlass replacement they just wrote about on the website a couple days ago. It seems unlikely they'd have art for that already though, since concept art represents thousands of man-hours or whatever.

Nov 3, 2015

AP posted:

Frontier lied about refunds during this disaster, CIG is continuing to lie about refunds.

Frontier I assume isn't actively lying anymore and has a game, CIG don't have any sort of actual game and still are lying.

I dunno, I'm going to stick with a belief that someone you've given money to, choosing to lie to you isn't generally a good sign. gently caress ups happen, PR and otherwise, the constant attempts to defend it are a bit bizarre though.

lol they never lied about refunds.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Beet Wagon posted:

I guess the other possible concept sale they could do would be the Cutlass replacement they just wrote about on the website a couple days ago. It seems unlikely they'd have art for that already though, since concept art represents thousands of man-hours or whatever.

Too early for that. I imagine they'd want to have a concept for a large ship ($$$$) instead of another fighter ($$$).

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TTerrible posted:

This is a full on :britain: ham salad. You're a man of impeccable taste.

LOL!!! yeah. We buy Heinz salad dressing six bottles at a time. By the time it gets to 2 bottles left, I'm already freaking out and having panic attacks. Very few stores sell it on import. So often, I make the trek to a local British import store to stock up. When I am in the UK, I ship a box of 12 back to the US. Down in Florida, only one grocery store (Publix) sometimes has it in their "Ethic Foods" section. And usually it's all gone the minute it hits the shelf. Some Walmart stores also carry it from time to time.

Good stuff. Anyone who hasn't tried it, trust me, skip the mayo and get this. Some online British stores, as well as eBay and Amazon have it btw; but over-priced as expected. Google: "heinz salad cream"

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Xaerael posted:

I did an upscaled reproduction of the Skeksis Chamberlain puppet a few years back.

'did' means manufactured, I hope. Skeksis always seem spiky in the wrong places. I mean, if you swing that way, all well and good...

Edit: ^^^ Publix in central Florida never seem to run out of salad cream. I find that it works incredibly well on chicken. Also fish finger sandwiches. My bulk imports are smoky bacon walkers crisps and fucktons of chocolate. Now if only I could find a sausage worth a drat.

Hav fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 17, 2015

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Loiosh posted:

Too early for that. I imagine they'd want to have a concept for a large ship ($$$$) instead of another fighter ($$$).

Why are people even speculating ? its just another load of fecking JPEGS.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Loiosh posted:

They already do though. The Crucible is confirmed for concept and is gonna cost $350.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Beet Wagon posted:

They already do though. The Crucible is confirmed for concept and is gonna cost $350.

That's what I mean by another fighter. Releasing 2 'cheap' fighters wouldn't net the most money. In the chat people are talking about a new capital ship, but I think that's unlikely as well. I'm guessing another salvage or fuel/transport ship. They do not impact game balance as much and have more simplified interiors.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

it will be like this, in no particular order

1) Military ships (Super Hornet, Gladius, Freelancer MIS)
2) Trading ships
3) Racing Ships
4) Alien Ships
5) ......

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

EightAce posted:

Well, the sperghive is speculating because they need another money-sink to ruin their lives with.

And I'm speculating because I'm interested in how this is going to play out vis a vis Derek's pre-sale revelations.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

EightAce posted:

Same reason people speculated about WoW 2 for a decade before Blizzard canceled it. Video game fans are fans.

When you hang out in an area like this you kinda forget that there are fans of this project (who aren't Karl). What to you is simply more money grabbing on the slide into failure is a chance for the fans to purchase more in a project they believe in. And that's how they'll see it and why they'll speculate over JPEGs.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

D_Smart posted:

LOL!!! yeah. We buy Heinz salad dressing six bottles at a time. By the time it gets to 2 bottles left, I'm already freaking out and having panic attacks. Very few stores sell it on import. So often, I make the trek to a local British import store to stock up. When I am in the UK, I ship a box of 12 back to the US. Down in Florida, only one grocery store (Publix) sometimes has it in their "Ethic Foods" section. And usually it's all gone the minute it hits the shelf. Some Walmart stores also carry it from time to time.

Good stuff. Anyone who hasn't tried it, trust me, skip the mayo and get this. Some online British stores, as well as eBay and Amazon have it btw; but over-priced as expected. Google: "heinz salad cream"

Publix seem a little overpriced, but they're the only place i've found over here outside of weird speciality stores that sell yorkshire tea and i need that to retain my human form. pg tips is piss

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Loiosh posted:

That's what I mean by another fighter. Releasing 2 'cheap' fighters wouldn't net the most money. In the chat people are talking about a new capital ship, but I think that's unlikely as well. I'm guessing another salvage or fuel/transport ship. They do not impact game balance as much and have more simplified interiors.

Do they have any more concept ships in the lineup after the Crucible? I know people voted for like 10 different ships a long time ago, but I don't know what all they were. So there's the possibility of two concept sales that are either something we already know the name of or something completely out of the blue that nobody has ever heard of, the latter of which would be best for Derek if he could leak it properly this time.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

1500 posted:

No, FD gave refunds to people that could not play and were waiting for the offline mode in order to play. What they didn't want to do was give refunds to people that had 10's to 100's of hours playing ONLINE and that were now demanding a refund.

FD sold early access to ED, now that early access was over what was stopping people from demanding a refund and then just buying again for cheaper? How do you tell who wanted a refund because of the loss of offline and who was trying to game the system?

FD was in the right to not give refunds to people that put in 10's of hours of gameplay in a ONLINE ONLY game, sorry but you don't get to play the "well I only bought it for offline" if you have been playing online for that long.

Source your quotes

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Beet Wagon posted:

Do they have any more concept ships in the lineup after the Crucible? I know people voted for like 10 different ships a long time ago, but I don't know what all they were. So there's the possibility of two concept sales that are either something we already know the name of or something completely out of the blue that nobody has ever heard of, the latter of which would be best for Derek if he could leak it properly this time.

I don't know. I haven't been following on the insider baseball side of things. Pretty much all I've been paying attention to are the engine updates because that is what interests me. More ships are not interesting. I would not expect anything surprising, though. I suspect the unannounced concept will be dropping from foundry's work on SQ42. Probably something they need for some of their mission design.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

alphabettitouretti posted:

Derek spoiled the name of the ship they were gonna sell at that stupid Citizencon thing, but he did it quite early so they had time to change it. Unfortunately they forget to swap the placeholder text with the actual name so it just said POTATO.

I should clarify there was no proof that the name he revealed was right but it was an odd coincidence that the ship name ended up being POTATO for a while. Certainly seemed like he made them panic a little and they hosed up in an amusing manner.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013
Are we talking about encrypting the predictions so that CIG won't adapt by changing the ships to dishonour Derek again? That would have made sense the first time, before CIG knew how real his source was. At this point, if they actually give enough of a poo poo, they'll just preemptively make the necessary last-minute changes to everything, thereby obsoleting all inside information without having to know exactly what Derek said. Changing some ship names is evidently not a lot of work.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

1500 posted:

Bro that some Shitizen level fanboying. If you promise a major feature for release then say "Well you were playing without this feature that doesn't exist yet - NO REFUNDS" probably wouldn't fly in any country with proper consumer protection laws. They hosed up pure and simple. They've probably made up for it at this point but it was a massive own goal that they deserved the bad press for.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Stanko-Prussian posted:

Publix seem a little overpriced, but they're the only place i've found over here outside of weird speciality stores that sell yorkshire tea and i need that to retain my human form. pg tips is piss

World Market usually carries Yorkshire. Tetley does a British blend (purple box) that you won't be paying the ridiculous 'lol foreign' tax on, and I'll fight you if you diss Tetley. PG Tips is the devil, however.

Berious posted:

probably wouldn't fly in any country with proper consumer protection laws.

And you don't think the UK has proper consumer protection laws?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

1500 posted:

Frontier were refusing refunds to people who had less than 3 hours logged in the "game", who had to log on to try the offline mode tutorial or whatever it was.

Frontier were not in the right due to the fact that in every case they backed down and refunded before being taken to court. I'm sorry that you are wrong, very wrong and appear to be outraged at the idea of people getting a refund after playing too much, something which I personally hadn't mentioned or give a poo poo about. Either people are entitled to a refund for a broken contract promise under the law, even if they'd spent hours in an alpha or they've not. There's no magic, "you must have had fun because you played too long" line in consumer law. As in Star Citizen case from June 2014 anyone in the UK and wider EU can get a refund without having to provide a reason up to release +14 days.

We can continue talking about this if you like as personally I'm sure that the continued argument about it is something Frontier would rather forget and you elite guys still being bitter about it is funny.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I hereby sentence you to death for the crime of leaking the name of a jpeg, how do you plead? GUILTY YOUR MAJESTY!!!
Court dismissed!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I fell behind on SC drama. Is the new Crucible just 'a big ship' or is it one of those ships that could basically be a whole videogame all on its own whose mechanics or functions have zero grounding in the game engine as-is.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Loiosh posted:

I don't know. I haven't been following on the insider baseball side of things. Pretty much all I've been paying attention to are the engine updates because that is what interests me. More ships are not interesting. I would not expect anything surprising, though. I suspect the unannounced concept will be dropping from foundry's work on SQ42. Probably something they need for some of their mission design.

That's kind of what I'm thinking. I don't see a whole lot of opportunities for a real "gotcha" moment in regards to leaking ship names. I am wrong pretty frequently though.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Pierson posted:

I fell behind on SC drama. Is the new Crucible just 'a big ship' or is it one of those ships that could basically be a whole videogame all on its own whose mechanics or functions have zero grounding in the game engine as-is.

The second one.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Derek, don't release the ship names! It's all a secret ploy to get you to reveal your inside source! Sandi secretly name-dropped a different ship name to each person in the company, thus when your big reveal happens, she oust the traitor from her forested vagicave!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

Source your quotes

You don't even need quotes, just cyncism. People are always stupider as you assume.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Beet Wagon posted:

That's kind of what I'm thinking. I don't see a whole lot of opportunities for a real "gotcha" moment in regards to leaking ship names. I am wrong pretty frequently though.

It's not "Haha, your ships are all going to be called dickbutt!", it's ""Haha, I have insiders telling me about your company, even things you've told people to keep secret!"

He keeps saying that he's got people telling him that the company is falling apart from the inside. People say "where's the proof that he's got people on the inside telling him things?" - well, him leaking the ship names is proof.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Hav posted:

World Market usually carries Yorkshire. Tetley does a British blend (purple box) that you won't be paying the ridiculous 'lol foreign' tax on, and I'll fight you if you diss Tetley. PG Tips is the devil, however.

And you don't think the UK has proper consumer protection laws?

I don't know. If a brit pressed they issue they probably got their money back.

Nov 3, 2015

Berious posted:

Bro that some Shitizen level fanboying. If you promise a major feature for release then say "Well you were playing without this feature that doesn't exist yet - NO REFUNDS" probably wouldn't fly in any country with proper consumer protection laws. They hosed up pure and simple. They've probably made up for it at this point but it was a massive own goal that they deserved the bad press for.

LOL, No, I have been far more critical of FD and ED then positive. Perhaps you want to read what I said again? I didn't say they should not give refunds.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

D_Smart posted:

only one grocery store (Publix) sometimes has it in their "Ethnic Foods" section.

Salad cream an ethnic food...

Forget about that crap. Get some Branston pickle and pair with a thick slice of ham and some good cheddar in between fresh bread.

Also Derek I fixed your funny typo, you are welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 3, 2015

AP posted:

Frontier were refusing refunds to people who had less than 3 hours logged in the "game", who had to log on to try the offline mode tutorial or whatever it was.

Frontier were not in the right due to the fact that in every case they backed down and refunded before being taken to court. I'm sorry that you are wrong, very wrong and appear to be outraged at the idea of people getting a refund after playing too much, something which I personally hadn't mentioned or give a poo poo about. Either people are entitled to a refund for a broken contract promise under the law, even if they'd spent hours in an alpha or they've not. There's no magic, "you must have had fun because you played too long" line in consumer law. As in Star Citizen case from June 2014 anyone in the UK and wider EU can get a refund without having to provide a reason up to release +14 days.

We can continue talking about this if you like as personally I'm sure that the continued argument about it is something Frontier would rather forget and you elite guys still being bitter about it is funny.

Nope not outraged, but is there anything else you want to make up? Oh how about "I am bitter", going to keep going the make poo poo up thing I see. I have always wondered what peoples obsession with projecting their personal feeling onto others is about. It is clear that you are the one bitter about the whole thing, after all you have made multiple posts complaining about it.

The fact is, it was not a cut and dry case like some people want to claim. FD hosed up, no one can argue with that, their communication was poo poo, and they needed to tell people long before.

• Locked thread