Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Did some digging. Eventually found a set of, what seems like, really well put together docker images for all of the major newsgroup services people use. The container images are found here: https://github.com/linuxserver?page=1

The great thing about these images is they let you configure the user and group id so that the downloads have the proper permissions you want them to have when they get placed into your downloads folder. The other awesome thing about these images is they are designed to auto update all of the software in the image whenever you restart the container. This is really loving cool to be honest. Your Sickbbeard out of date? Just restart the container.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

I've had all my stuff running in dockers within Unraid for a while now. It works great, just setting up filepaths was a little odd at first, since it's relative to the container volume setting. I also have deluge+vpn that was preconfigured for PIA so I don't have to worry about that, and handbrake as well for all my encoding needs. It's nice being able to use anything to access everything. Can even use my phone to start transcoding a video file.

Tanbo fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 1, 2015

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My NZB.su and NZBGeek VIP subscriptions have expired so I'm just running on NZBS.org now. Which one would be the best to reactivate? NZBGeek is $18/2yr vs NZV.su $14/1yr but NZBgeek only takes Bitcoin now :/ NZB.su handles CC.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

What's wrong with .org?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Nothing in particular, but I'd like to have a second indexer as a backup.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

My NZB.su and NZBGeek VIP subscriptions have expired so I'm just running on NZBS.org now. Which one would be the best to reactivate? NZBGeek is $18/2yr vs NZV.su $14/1yr but NZBgeek only takes Bitcoin now :/ NZB.su handles CC.

nzb.su has a better variety of content in my experience so I use it as a backup to nzbs.org. I get a ton of silly shows for the GF that I can't find on any other indexer.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

What's the deal with nzb.su? I had an account there long ago, but I guess they deleted it or something and I don't see anywhere to re-register or anything.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

What's the deal with nzb.su? I had an account there long ago, but I guess they deleted it or something and I don't see anywhere to re-register or anything.

I think you need invites now?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thermopyle posted:

They're really good at pulling that poo poo, they're second only to Dog in your paid account just 'disappearing'.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

They prune inactive/unpaid accounts after awhile. Shoot me your email in a forum PM and I'll send you an invite.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The Gunslinger posted:

They prune inactive/unpaid accounts after awhile. Shoot me your email in a forum PM and I'll send you an invite.

Thanks. Someone already hooked me up with one.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

FCKGW posted:

What's sad is I have a slight issue paying an indexer AND my usenet server but using only nzbs.org is going to end up with missed stuff. NZB.su sounds like the far easier one to deal with though. I might have to get back on there.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Irritated Goat posted:

What's sad is I have a slight issue paying an indexer AND my usenet server but using only nzbs.org is going to end up with missed stuff. NZB.su sounds like the far easier one to deal with though. I might have to get back on there.

I think I have some updates. PM me (or email if you don't have PMs) and I will send you one tonight.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Are any Astraweb customers just... not getting billed? I changed CC's a few times since signing up due to loss / expiry and while my speeds have been crappy lately I also can't find a payment on my statement that looks like them.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Shumagorath posted:

Are any Astraweb customers just... not getting billed? I changed CC's a few times since signing up due to loss / expiry and while my speeds have been crappy lately I also can't find a payment on my statement that looks like them.

That's a known, long time issue. Don't tell too many people about it. Free usenet is a rare and wonderful thing.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

So I changed card numbers awhile ago and you are right. I should of been charged 4 months ago but never was, account works fine.

Senturion
Jul 29, 2013

I set up couch potato and sonarr last night and ran into an issue with sonarr when I checked it tonight.

It downloaded s1e15 of a show (as indicated by the nzb name), but renamed it as s1e13. Any idea why this would happen and how I can prevent it from happening again in the future?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is that show listed on thexem.de ? It's used by sonarr to translate the poo poo that the stubborn people at TheTVdb refuse to fix, like series and episode numbers. Annoyingly there's no way to see within sonarr what will be affected until it happens.

If not, it might have been an error in the release that wasn't nuked for some reason.

Senturion
Jul 29, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is that show listed on thexem.de ? It's used by sonarr to translate the poo poo that the stubborn people at TheTVdb refuse to fix, like series and episode numbers. Annoyingly there's no way to see within sonarr what will be affected until it happens.

If not, it might have been an error in the release that wasn't nuked for some reason.

It is, and it does look like that site remaps e15 to e13. It says e01 is S00e09...odd, but that at least explains why it changed the name and episode.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Senturion posted:

It is, and it does look like that site remaps e15 to e13. It says e01 is S00e09...odd, but that at least explains why it changed the name and episode.

Thanks for pointing that out!

If the XEM is wrong, contact them and they'll fix it so episodes going forward aren't messed up.

Jesse Iceberg
Jan 7, 2012

In Sonarr, is there a way to bulk apply a tag to all monitored series? I can't see it if there is, only to apply a tag to one series at a time.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
What is the preferred automation app at this point? I've just been either manually downloading stuff or using the RSS function in Sabnzbd but its been missing a lot of stuff.

I tried SickBeard a couple years back and the UI seemed really unfriendly and weird. Is CouchPotato and Sonarr what most people are using at this point or NZBget?

visuvius fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 14, 2015

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Sonarr for TV shows, Couchpotato for movies.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Sonarr for TV shows, Couchpotato for movies.

Same, with nzbget as the Usenet client itself. Think the post above confused what the roles of each thing are mind.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Can someone explain why Sonarr is better than SickBeard? Not looking to be convinced, just curious.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Didn't Sickbeard start to fall behind with regards to useful updates? I remember when I rebuilt my system I decided to give Sonarr a shot as it was well liked, and it would be easy to switch out if I didn't care for it.

It's been so long since I used SB now, I'm not sure how many differences there are (or exactly what it was that I felt weren't as good at the time), but I prefer the UI, integration with TheXEM is useful, the retrying of failed shows is a definite bonus and just more options in general. It's not a night/day difference, it's just that little bit better in enough ways that it became the favourite.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
TheXEM support and the failed download handling are the two reasons I switched after being a Sickbeard die-hard for the longest time.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

The Modern Leper posted:

Can someone explain why Sonarr is better than SickBeard? Not looking to be convinced, just curious.

Sonarr is still getting updates. Failure handling is excellent and is mostly hands off.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Sonarr looks really nice and is super stable on my Mac, compared to SickBeard which crashed out all the time.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Thanks. I'd stepped away from Usenet for several months, and hadn't noticed that SickBeard was no longer being supported. Looks like I may have a Sunday afternoon project.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
I've been using sickrage for about a year now, they've got XEM support and failed download handling baked in. Did try sonarr for about half a year but I like the good old sickbeard system better, and also get to not have mono installed and running on my computer so that's objectively an advantage there at least

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

When setting up scheduling for sabnzbd, what's the difference between pause all and pause? Does pause all only pause current jobs in the queue at the time of pausing, while pause pauses sabnzbd itself? I want it sab itself paused for the entire stretch of time, while downloads are still being sent by cp/sonarr/etc (though not yet downloading until the resume time).

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
http://wiki.sabnzbd.org/configure-scheduling-0-7

quote:

Pause will stop downloading
Pause-all will stop downloading, Watched Folder scanning and RSS feeds, stops all disk activity.

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe
Anyone found a way to set a default profile for new series in Sonarr? I've a situation with a couple people in the house using it and we keep forgetting to change the profile off 'Any' and filling up the server with 1gb+ 30 min TV episodes...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Adding new series' should retain the settings you last used, so just add a show with the settings you want. I tend to just use 720p BD, Web and HDTV (I don't have to worry about bandwidth but hdd space is a concern).

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Wow Sonarr is really nice. I should have ditched the Sabnzbd RSS thing long ago.

Only thing I can't figure out is...can you set Sonarr to delete shows after a certain period? I can't seem to find an option like that. Right now I have to manually go through and delete stuff but there has to be a better way.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nope. Personally, I used to use Belvedere that would scan set folders and delete files that were created 2 weeks old. Useful for stuff that airs on a daily basis, i.e. if I haven't watched it by now I'm never going to watch it, or if I have watched it I'm unlikely to need to see it again.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I don't know why I waited so long to switch from Astra to Frugal but I finally did. Things are finally not failing all the loving time, my Blocknews account was being brutally pillaged for the last month or two. Dspite the supposed 300 days of retention, I've been able to pull things as far as ~500 days without issue in my limited use so far.

Their owner/rep person said on reddit that they'll be doing a promo soon so hopefully the $3.99/mo plan comes back because that'd be a steal. So far as a Highwinds reseller, it isn't as awful as it seems to be made out to be by some.

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 17, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Godinster posted:

So far as a Highwinds reseller, it isn't as awful as it seems to be made out to be by some.

Highwinds have serious retention. I use Newshosting, who have 2,650 days of retention. I don't bother with a block account from the providers anymore due to mixed results. A combination of Sonarr and Couch Potato means I usually grab things before DCMA, and if I'm too late (rarely, but backfilling something I didn't know I was interested in at the time etc), I'll just go elsewhere. The fact that I've successfully downloaded some obscure poo poo that was uploaded once, 8 years ago without it being a complete waste of time is quite amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Yeah I'm compelled to go with another reseller on Black Friday if there's a $5/month offer from one of them like there apparently was last year. Having a higher retention would certainly be worth it but I am so loving done with Astra.