Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
it doesnt look like johns sweet red bass got stolen at least

i would literally cry if that happened

i have no idea why but i would

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Literally The Worst posted:

it doesnt look like johns sweet red bass got stolen at least

i would literally cry if that happened

i have no idea why but i would

On the list of stuff gone it says John's bass...
I hope he has multiple and it wasn't the red one :ohdear:

But yeah, I'm super glad that they broke past their $10 benchmark (before they realized the cost of all that was gone) and now they're gonna hit their $18K goal pretty soon. People are nice, yo

donges
Aug 4, 2012

I'd rather be vomiting and I despise vomiting. Blegh!

Spaced God posted:

But yeah, I'm super glad that they broke past their $10 benchmark (before they realized the cost of all that was gone) and now they're gonna hit their $18K goal pretty soon. People are nice, yo

I think they're referring to his new blue Rick - which is a shame because that must have been hella expensive. Though, that said, they surpassed the 18k goal last night, so yay!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Spaced God posted:

from all the pics its that blue rick, which is a sweet rear end bass but i dont have the same weird attachment to that that i do the red one

or john playing bass in general

i've mentioned this before but if a jeff album came out and john wasn't playing bass, or if he didn't go on a tour, i would literally not know how to handle it, he's just the one constant in jeff's many adventures and it would be weird to not have that

Ultimetalhead
Jun 6, 2013
Ska lover checking in. I casually listened to some of the basic, entry-level bands back in high school and found it energetic and fun. Never really dove deeper until I started playing in a ska band in college. Since then I've gravitated towards much harder stuff with some ska-like elements (Choking Victim, Ninjaspy, Propagandhi, etc.), but you can totally win me over with a nice Skatalites record.

Also, Streetlight Manifesto. I know some people don't consider them ska because of the general lack of upbeats and fedoras but god drat what a band.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

Ultimetalhead posted:

Ska lover checking in. I casually listened to some of the basic, entry-level bands back in high school and found it energetic and fun. Never really dove deeper until I started playing in a ska band in college. Since then I've gravitated towards much harder stuff with some ska-like elements (Choking Victim, Ninjaspy, Propagandhi, etc.), but you can totally win me over with a nice Skatalites record.

Also, Streetlight Manifesto. I know some people don't consider them ska because of the general lack of upbeats and fedoras but god drat what a band.

If you like chocking victim I just want to make sure you are aware of the stoopid henchmen, No Ca$h, the mad conductor, Against All Authority, and a compilation called Riot Ska.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ultimetalhead posted:

Have you given the Mad Caddies a try?

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Have you given the Mad Caddies a try?

Also give Kill Lincoln a listen: https://killlincolndc.bandcamp.com/

Ultimetalhead
Jun 6, 2013
Jesus. No Ca$h is downright filthy. That album's going to be in regular rotation. I'm familiar with the other bands, but I wasn't a big fan of The Henchmen or Mad Conductor. Good recs though. If there's more disgusting stuff like No Ca$h out there keep it coming.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I went to a Choking Victim reunion show in either 2005 or 2006 (loving insanity) and as I was leaving someone handed me a promo CD-R with the first 3 songs from Mad Conductor's Mechanical Claw EP on it. I was so confused the first time I listened to it.

Geschwafel
May 10, 2006

Frank sent me.
Tony Sarabia requested 'favorite songs about food' for the Thanksgiving show of Radio M on WBEZ. I submitted Pizza Day by the Aquabats, here's hoping to hear ska on the radio without it being the butt of a joke!

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

Ultimetalhead posted:

Jesus. No Ca$h is downright filthy. That album's going to be in regular rotation. I'm familiar with the other bands, but I wasn't a big fan of The Henchmen or Mad Conductor. Good recs though. If there's more disgusting stuff like No Ca$h out there keep it coming.

I meant the stupid stupid henchman, but that probably doesn't change anything. And you have probably heard most of these but since they were not specifically mentioned I will list them.

My own Religion ( the closest to No Cash)
Leftover Crack
INDK
Morning Glory
Star loving Hipsters
Atrocity Solution
link 80
Lesdystics (Sacramento hometown favorites)
Misspent youth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciVxWPRQECw

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Geschwafel posted:

Tony Sarabia requested 'favorite songs about food' for the Thanksgiving show of Radio M on WBEZ. I submitted Pizza Day by the Aquabats, here's hoping to hear ska on the radio without it being the butt of a joke!

Also Spam also also Bumblebee Tuna

e: Magic Chicken

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Dandy Kaiser posted:

Also Spam also also Bumblebee Tuna

e: Magic Chicken

Should have called in with a fake voice and brought up "Beer'

HisFlyingFingers
Jan 7, 2006

*~Weekend Lovers~*
Jeff played "Radio Radio" by Elvis Costello in Columbus tonight. None of the 19-year-old Modern Baseball fans knew what the gently caress was happening, but I screamed myself hoarse. loving amazing show.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

HisFlyingFingers posted:

Jeff played "Radio Radio" by Elvis Costello in Columbus tonight. None of the 19-year-old Modern Baseball fans knew what the gently caress was happening, but I screamed myself hoarse. loving amazing show.

I just don't get Elvis Costello. His voice annoys the poo poo out of me and the music itself is average IMO

Then again, bands I didn't "get" until the last 1-2 years (I'm 30) include Radiohead, the Beatles, Black Sabbath, King Crimson, Blur, Sigur Ros, At th Drive-In, Mars Volta, Thursday, etc. so what the gently caress do I know

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
^^ Very few artists would sing a song about dancing on a prime minister's grave a couple of months after they died, but he did?

HisFlyingFingers posted:

Did he have any reason for doing it?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

^^ Very few artists would sing a song about dancing on a prime minister's grave a couple of months after they died, but he did?

Did he have any reason for doing it?

Jeff's got a thing going where you send an email with a photo of you with your ticket, where you can request a song to cover. Most votes wins, tie broken by whoever it is in the band's turn it is his bassist's twitter is any indication

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Jeff's got a thing going where you send an email with a photo of you with your ticket, where you can request a song to cover. Most votes wins, tie broken by whoever it is in the band's turn it is his bassist's twitter is any indication

drat kids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8caBUVjWvA

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

gotta be a real video to do it justice. russian facebook to the rescue
https://vk.com/video2590346_168714045

HisFlyingFingers
Jan 7, 2006

*~Weekend Lovers~*

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I just don't get Elvis Costello. His voice annoys the poo poo out of me and the music itself is average IMO

The annoying voice thing was a stylistic choice on his early work, it was the "snotty British Punk" voice. That said, he's also one of those artists where the sound isn't really the point, it's more about the emotion in the lyrics and performance.

You know, kind of like Jeff.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

But good

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Jeff is hands down more talented then Elvis Costello

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

rear end Catchcum posted:

Jeff is hands down more talented then Elvis Costello

If you are deliberately trolling me, it's working.

Elvis Costello rules but if you can't get past the voice you'll never like him. He writes a hell of a catchy hook. Give any of his first three albums a listen -- they're My Aim Is True, This Year's Model, and Armed Forces -- and if you don't like it you can ignore the rest of his output. For that matter, you can probably just listen to the first track on My Aim Is True and judge based on that. ("Tramp The Dirt Down" is on Spike, much later. That's the Thatcher death song.)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

guppy posted:

Elvis Costello rules but if you can't get past the voice you'll never like him. He writes a hell of a catchy hook. Give any of his first three albums a listen -- they're My Aim Is True, This Year's Model, and Armed Forces -- and if you don't like it you can ignore the rest of his output. For that matter, you can probably just listen to the first track on My Aim Is True and judge based on that. ("Tramp The Dirt Down" is on Spike, much later. That's the Thatcher death song.)

Loved it when he played it a couple months after her death

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3DhrjRRHFc

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord
Elvis Costello is better than Jeff and Tom put together. :colbert:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

guppy posted:

My favourite is Get Happy!! I also like Punch the Clock because the horns on the album (the TKO Horns) had previously been the horn section in Dexys Midnight Runners. Paul Speare, who was the tenor man on the latter album, used to have an entertaining write-up about his experience recording and touring the album, which is still available to read (but only as a web archive).

Overall, I think I might like Ian Dury just slightly more than Elvis Costello but it's really six of one - I'm not sure if Elvis Costello ever had an album quite as good as New Boots and Panties!!, but he had a lot more albums that I think are worthwhile.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 2, 2015

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

So is this LTJ Losing Streak/Hello Rockview tour thing actually happening or am I just having fever hallucinations

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Dandy Kaiser posted:

So is this LTJ Losing Streak/Hello Rockview tour thing actually happening or am I just having fever hallucinations

Good news!

quote:

Losing Streak And Hello Rockview Full Album Shows
DEC 02, 2015 - 01:32 PM CST
First show announcement of 2016 is here, and we’ve decided to do something special. To celebrate the 20 year anniversary of our album Losing Streak, we’ll be doing small intimate club shows in select cities that were some of the first places to embrace Less Than Jake.
Here's the rundown-
2 nights in each city: Night 1 will be Losing Streak, Night 2 will be Hello Rockview, both in their entirety. Both nights will include fan favorites from all other releases as well! Tickets will go on sale this Friday, grab em quick because these shows WILL sell out!!
02/26/2016: State Theater - St Petersburg, FL **
02/27/2016: State Theater - St Petersburg, FL ++
03/03/2016: Double Door - Chicago, IL **
03/04/2016: Double Door - Chicago, IL ++
03/05/2016: The Shelter - Detroit, MI **
03/06/2016: The Shelter - Detroit, MI ++
03/09/2016: Highline Ballroom - NYC, NY **
03/10/2016: Gramercy Theater - NYC, NY ++
03/11/2016: The Foundry @ The Fillmore - Philadelphia, PA **
03/12/2016: The Foundry @ The Fillmore - Philadelphia, PA ++
03/17/2016: The Social - Orlando, FL **
03/18/2016: The Social - Orlando, FL ++
03/19/2016: Culture Room - Fort Lauderdale, FL **
03/20/2016: Culture Room - Fort Lauderdale, FL ++
** Losing Streak in its entirety & more!!
++ Hello Rockview in its entirety & more!!

It's both!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Good news!

It's both!

ill buy these and hope i'm not working that day

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Westbound Train and Mephiskapheles?? :monocle:

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

DOOP posted:

ill buy these and hope i'm not working that day

Bought both, looks like I'll be using some vacation time.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Holy gently caress that is worth driving to nyc for.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Good luck with those Chicago shows since the Double Door is getting the boot.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
pretty cool $9 service fee per ticket on the Gramercy NYC show.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

lessthankyle posted:

pretty cool $9 service fee per ticket on the Gramercy NYC show.

When I saw that I decided that on my day off next week, I'm going to swing by the box office and pick up a ticket in person because that is literal horseshit.

It's also cool that apparently the Highline show's tickets are currently an AmEx exclusive and I can't purchase them with my plebe Visa.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Dandy Kaiser posted:

When I saw that I decided that on my day off next week, I'm going to swing by the box office and pick up a ticket in person because that is literal horseshit.

It's also cool that apparently the Highline show's tickets are currently an AmEx exclusive and I can't purchase them with my plebe Visa.

It shouldn't be, I purchased tickets to both with my MC.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Where did you buy through? Maybe it's a thing with the Highline Balloom website itself because when I tried to buy my ticket, it wouldn't let me use any credit card that wasn't Amex

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Dandy Kaiser posted:

Where did you buy through? Maybe it's a thing with the Highline Balloom website itself because when I tried to buy my ticket, it wouldn't let me use any credit card that wasn't Amex

Through TicketWeb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Got mine :getin: and apparently, not a moment too soon because according to LTJ's facebook, both shows are almost sold out already