Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Agean90 posted:

its not that its unexpected, it that this thread was making fun of the paradox forums for the same thing immediately before hand

No, people being disappointed by the way a mechanic works is hardly similar to the pplaza reaction to HoI4 oil. Maybe you could read one or two posts as over the top but hardly any went "now stellaris is forever iredeemable". I think it's bad for the thread to be compared to pplaza the moment sentiment for an upcoming game ever drops under cautious optimism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Jack the Stripper posted:

About to buy a new laptop, an 840m nvidia graphics card combined with a 5th gen i5 processor should have no problem running EU4, right?
I've got a wheezing desktop computer with a radeon 6800 and a 7-year-old intel core 2 duo, and it does a solid job of running EU4. Pretty much any laptop with an iota of graphical processing power will be able to handle the game.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
shut the gently caress up goons

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

YF-23 posted:

No, people being disappointed by the way a mechanic works is hardly similar to the pplaza reaction to HoI4 oil.

It's exactly the same just wordier.

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.

Ofaloaf posted:

I've got a wheezing desktop computer with a radeon 6800 and a 7-year-old intel core 2 duo, and it does a solid job of running EU4. Pretty much any laptop with an iota of graphical processing power will be able to handle the game.

Thanks, sounds good.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The Sharmat posted:

No, it's not. Pplaza is complaining about Paradox trying something new to make HoI4 more fun, goons here are complaining that Paradox is not trying something new and does a thing they know to not be fun.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Except apparently it becomes "Sector Scale Management" later which potentially is new and we don't know enough about it. It's not even that ridiculous, there certainly doesn't seem to be "too many" tiles at all, and I reserve judgement until I've actually seen it in play, considering pacing is everything.

Also, really, people think about EU3 and EU4 building micromanagement when all I remember is just clicking a few buttons in the ledger now and again.. people knew about that, right?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I dont think Ive ever played a space 4X game ever since MOO 1, but all this talk here is making me want to try.

Can someone recommend me some good games, past and present, of the genre?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Elias_Maluco posted:

I dont think Ive ever played a space 4X game ever since MOO 1, but all this talk here is making me want to try.

Aurora.

Really though, ones that I always come back to are: GalCiv 2, Distant Worlds, occasionally Endless Space.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Sword of the Stars 1 for more of a warfare focus. Definitely not Sword of the Stars 2 though.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

I'm gonna get a lot of poo poo for this but if you want to dip your toes into space 4x having only played the first Master of Orion then Stardrive 2 isn't a bad bet. It's basically Master of Orion 2 in a newer interface and it's quite forgiving to a new player. That said the developer is an idiot who had a full meltdown on these very forums when he abandoned the first game before finishing it.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Wiz posted:

Have you guys considered that switching from 'this will be the best ever' to 'this will be the worst ever' because of one DD about tile grid planets is just a little bit on the histrionic side?

Still in the "this will be the best ever" camp.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Also Sins of a Solar Empire and Homeworld. They might not be exactly what you're looking for, but I encourage you to at least check out a video let's play of them.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
SotS I's ship building is pretty much space 4x shipbuilding excellence and should be shamelessly ripped off by everyone.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Demiurge4 posted:

This is further exasperated in games like Galciv where civilization wonders exist that give a flat 50% bonus to one production type on that planet. I would much rather colonize a planet and develop it in a variety of ways, not because it's realistic, but because it's enjoyable. If a planet has a tile bonus that gives extra research then great, I can plop a lab down on it but I'd rather make use of the generic tiles around it for the role I had intended. I outlined on an earlier page how adjacency bonuses can be tolerable (to me) by giving adjacency tiles "slots" so that a mine can only boost one adjacent tile and a factory can at most eat two bonuses from a mine. This discourages chaining one bonus across the entire planet and lets the player diversify.

Yeah I get where you're coming from, though I guess specialized cities or planets have never bothered me too much personally.

Looking at it from the other direction, I could see the base tile being the most important number for things like Research and Minerals, and adjacency bonuses give very diminishing returns for tiles that don't provide any themselves. So for example in the first screenshot, even though the planet is giving a +25% Society Research bonus, it's only going to apply to that 1 single tile, so you might build a research facility there, and you have the option to get adjacency next to it, but since nothing adjacent has Society Research you're getting significantly less bonuses, not very optimal. So it looks less about 'figure out how to stack bonuses into infinity' and more about 'figure out the optimal layout so that you can maximize the usefulness of everything the planet has'. And you can tweak your layout based on what things you need the most of, so maybe you would cram in an adjacency bonus building for research if you really needed it, but if you didn't you can instead build a power plant there if you want more energy instead. Some planets you find might be very fixed in what they are good for (nothing but Mineral tiles on this type of planet, for example), but planets like the one in the screenshot look pretty flexible.

As far as stacking food bonuses goes, it looks like Food is a non-export so you only need to provide as much for your planet as it needs itself. So kind of a balancing act to get enough food to grow, without getting happiness penalties, but still extracting as many resources from the planet as possible.

Well, that could be completely off base from reality, but that's kind of how I was reading it as. More like a puzzle to solve, and be optimized based on your needs than it is 'stack bonuses stack bonuses stack bonuses'.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Thanks for the recommendations all.

Stardrive 2 seems cool and works on linux (forgot to mention that this is a requirement for me at the moment), but the Steam reviews are terrible.

Is these ones any good?

The Last Federation
http://store.steampowered.com/app/273070/?snr=1_5_9__300

AI War: Fleet Command
http://store.steampowered.com/app/40400/

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 17, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

orangelex44 posted:

Also Sins of a Solar Empire and Homeworld. They might not be exactly what you're looking for, but I encourage you to at least check out a video let's play of them.

Those are RTSs.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

This is an RTS with Tower Defense sensibilities and a handful of 4x-like things. It's a pretty cool game though, great for comp-stomp (it's built entirely around that). Kind of an absurdly obtuse number of keyboard commands you need to learn though, and it's got a lot of counter-intuitive mechanics. Definitely worth a look if it sounds fun to you, especially if you've got some friends to play with.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

It really depends on what kind of player you are. The developers are huge fans of statistics, to the point where I think they rely on statistics to carry the narrative of the game, as it were - there's a lot of emergent narratives that come out of the gameplay, but you can only tell that it's there if you learn how to parse the absolute shitload of numbers they throw at you from every angle. Without that knowledge (or the patience to gain that knowledge) the game's a giant, overwhelming infodump that doesn't feel much like anything at all. I wasn't a fan myself, but if you're into that it could scratch your itch.

Edit: Thinking out loud here, but it occurs to me that there's not really a lot of space 4Xs that focus on making you feel like you're guiding an actual empire of people instead of pushing blocks and numbers around in space, mostly for the sake of warfare. The focus is usually on the cool starships and the fancy lasers, with everything else there largely to research, design, and build said spaceships before sending them off to explode prettily. One reason why Stellaris has me quietly hopeful - the addition of Pops and virtues could go a ways towards making empire feel less like intergalactic starship factories.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 17, 2015

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Elias_Maluco posted:

Thanks for the recommendations all.

Stardrive 2 seems cool and works on linux (forgot to mention that this is a requirement for me at the moment), but the Steam reviews are terrible.

Is these ones any good?

The Last Federation
http://store.steampowered.com/app/273070/?snr=1_5_9__300

AI War: Fleet Command
http://store.steampowered.com/app/40400/

Yeah, they're good although AI War is more of a long-running RTS with a large variety of modifiers to the gameplay and difficulty levels and has a fairly steep learning curve for someone new to the genre. The Last Federation proceeds in time steps depending on the choices you make with each of the eight worlds and the fights proceed in an RTS manner though with you controlling a single vessel more often than not.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Tomn posted:

It really depends on what kind of player you are. The developers are huge fans of statistics, to the point where I think they rely on statistics to carry the narrative of the game, as it were - there's a lot of emergent narratives that come out of the gameplay, but you can only tell that it's there if you learn how to parse the absolute shitload of numbers they throw at you from every angle. Without that knowledge (or the patience to gain that knowledge) the game's a giant, overwhelming infodump that doesn't feel much like anything at all. I wasn't a fan myself, but if you're into that it could scratch your itch.

Well I do like CK2 and EU4 and most of this applies to then too. I think ill get this one then.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

This is an RTS with Tower Defense sensibilities and a handful of 4x-like things. It's a pretty cool game though, great for comp-stomp (it's built entirely around that). Kind of an absurdly obtuse number of keyboard commands you need to learn though, and it's got a lot of counter-intuitive mechanics. Definitely worth a look if it sounds fun to you, especially if you've got some friends to play with.

Not my kind of thing then, thanks.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Elias_Maluco posted:

Well I do like CK2 and EU4 and most of this applies to then too. I think ill get this one then.

Keep in mind that I say that the game has a shitload of numbers as a fan of Victoria 2. And not only is there a lot to dig through, but the devs don't exactly have Paradox's modern accessibility sensibilities...

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Looking at it from the other direction, I could see the base tile being the most important number for things like Research and Minerals, and adjacency bonuses give very diminishing returns for tiles that don't provide any themselves. So for example in the first screenshot, even though the planet is giving a +25% Society Research bonus, it's only going to apply to that 1 single tile, so you might build a research facility there, and you have the option to get adjacency next to it, but since nothing adjacent has Society Research you're getting significantly less bonuses, not very optimal. So it looks less about 'figure out how to stack bonuses into infinity' and more about 'figure out the optimal layout so that you can maximize the usefulness of everything the planet has'. And you can tweak your layout based on what things you need the most of, so maybe you would cram in an adjacency bonus building for research if you really needed it, but if you didn't you can instead build a power plant there if you want more energy instead. Some planets you find might be very fixed in what they are good for (nothing but Mineral tiles on this type of planet, for example), but planets like the one in the screenshot look pretty flexible.

As far as stacking food bonuses goes, it looks like Food is a non-export so you only need to provide as much for your planet as it needs itself. So kind of a balancing act to get enough food to grow, without getting happiness penalties, but still extracting as many resources from the planet as possible.

Well, that could be completely off base from reality, but that's kind of how I was reading it as. More like a puzzle to solve, and be optimized based on your needs than it is 'stack bonuses stack bonuses stack bonuses'.

Yeah I get you. I don't mind specialization but absolute percentage bonuses to an entire planets tiles builds into overspecialization because if every tile gets 20% (with a lab) and every lab gives adjacent ones even more tech, there's very little reason to build anything else. It also skews balance because one civ might find a ridiculous science planet and while the AI might develop it in a balanced way the player can overspecialize it and leap light years ahead in tech in just 20 turns. I do want production planets that have super productive factories but I want to decide whether building another factory in this tile is better than another city or lab because it'll give a significant boost to the planet.

Some things that Galciv has done very well were asteroid belts that acted basically like fluid resource tiles that you could assign to any planet in your empire, albeit with reductions based on distance. Another was shipyards that could pull production from multiple planets, though again, with distance modifiers in place. I think they overdid stations though and they weren't a fun mechanic in Galciv 2 or 3.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
It would be cool in EU4 if you could just click a button and have the most profitable temple/workshop built for you automatically

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

The Sharmat posted:

Those are RTSs.

Sure, but arguably so are Paradox games. They're certainly not "traditional" 4x, but they're strategy, and Sins at least is a very slow-paced RTS. They're both excellent space strategy games, and I acknowledged they might not be exactly what he was looking for.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Stellaris will be an RTS too. Paradox just makes RTSes that are at such a scope that they kind of straddle the line between TBS and RTS in terms of gameplay. Most of the representations are TBS representations, but they play out in real-time.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
The bereavement I experienced due to the announcement of tiles in Paradox' space game was the first time I felt human.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

The bereavement I experienced due to the announcement of tiles in Paradox' space game was the first time I felt human.

Which is bad, because you're a space-faring cybernetic-fungal collective.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Dibujante posted:

Stellaris will be an RTS too. Paradox just makes RTSes that are at such a scope that they kind of straddle the line between TBS and RTS in terms of gameplay. Most of the representations are TBS representations, but they play out in real-time.

We might be arguing over nothing, but Stellaris will have turns just like Europa and Crusader Kings have turns. Just 'cause there are lots of turns doesn't make it a real-time game.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

I had fun with Stardrive 2 - people are extremely salty over the fact that Stardrive 1 was never "finished" (Part developer fault, part random factors, part game engine being discontinued during development) - though its still a reasonably decent game let down by engine limitations. Mileage varies on the bias of other reviews as well.

The Developer has a tendency to tell you about stuff he ends up being unable to do, which is basically "muh promises" and anathema to the gaming community these days. His own fault though.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Gort posted:

We might be arguing over nothing, but Stellaris will have turns just like Europa and Crusader Kings have turns. Just 'cause there are lots of turns doesn't make it a real-time game.

They are tick based strategy games. Paradox literally makes pretty browser games!

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Tomn posted:

Edit: Thinking out loud here, but it occurs to me that there's not really a lot of space 4Xs that focus on making you feel like you're guiding an actual empire of people instead of pushing blocks and numbers around in space, mostly for the sake of warfare. The focus is usually on the cool starships and the fancy lasers, with everything else there largely to research, design, and build said spaceships before sending them off to explode prettily. One reason why Stellaris has me quietly hopeful - the addition of Pops and virtues could go a ways towards making empire feel less like intergalactic starship factories.

Or take it in the other direction, Rule the Waves in Space :getin:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Gort posted:

At what point do turns turn into real time, because if you're trying to be reductive about it, RTS games have framerate or internal polling rates that would peg them as turn based games that run through 60+ turns per second.

Xeno's strategy game if you will.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
You can't pause a RTS to plan and give orders like a Paradox grand strategy or a TBS

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

The Sharmat posted:

Nah, one is a reasonable concern about how to balance playability and verisimilitude (not I do not say "realism"). The other is a bunch of goons.

Absum
May 28, 2013

Enjoy posted:

You can't pause a RTS to plan and give orders like a Paradox grand strategy or a TBS

You can in at least one that I know of, probably in others as well.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

At this point I'm willing to concede that we are actually arguing about nothing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

When people say RTS they're thinking of a pretty specific genre, things like Warcraft and Total Annihilation and probably Homeworld. It's like the term "RPG", it means a fairly specific thing to most people. You can play the role of a leader in Paradox games and there are characters with stats, so clearly it's an RPG.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Actually you spend a lot of your time managing your relationship numbers with other characters or nations and improving your stats, so clearly it's a dating sim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Sindai posted:

Actually you spend a lot of your time managing your relationship numbers with other characters or nations and improving your stats, so clearly it's a dating sim.

CK2 certainly, there's even a path for your sis:suicide: