Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Max
Nov 30, 2002

Karnegal posted:

poo poo, just sticking with the adventures of Asher and Breska would have been a great time.

I was honestly just thinking that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Karnegal posted:

poo poo, just sticking with the adventures of Asher and Breska would have been a great time.

B..B..but all those big name GoT actors! They'd go to WASTE!

j/k I strongly suspect the requirement to use the GoT actors and actresses really hurt story flexibility.

Definitely would have been a better series as something akin to Hedge Knight.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

The North Grove is actually the home of a fourth dragon, who will be heavily featured in the final book of the series, and Danaerys's dragons will fly to the Wall and let him lead them all in battle against the Others. Various Forresters and hangers-on will ride the dragons based on who survives in GRRM's current playthrough.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Phenotype posted:

The North Grove is actually the home of a fourth dragon, who will be heavily featured in the final book of the series, and Danaerys's dragons will fly to the Wall and let him lead them all in battle against the Others. Various Forresters and hangers-on will ride the dragons based on who survives in GRRM's current playthrough.

And now I'm trying to imagine GRRM doing a let's play of this game... quite the strange mental image.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Stephen9001 posted:

And now I'm trying to imagine GRRM doing a let's play of this game... quite the strange mental image.

you better believe he has, the man is the charlie daniels of wasting time

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Really wish they hadn't tied the story so hard to big story characters. I remember that a lot of people speculated that they were just doing it in the first episode to get people interested back when they first started releasing trailers and stuff but nope, you get Tyrion and his merry friends all the time. It's just so awkward to have them show up all the time in this story about a really irrelevant family and I feel like they limit their story options.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I didn't hate the last episode. Ramsay's appearance was fantastic, especially his complete jubilation upon seeing Rodrik for the first time. RODRIK!!!!!!! :haw:

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
I've been saving rants about this game (the constructive kind not the venting kind), but these threads of thought...

Kainser posted:

Really wish they hadn't tied the story so hard to big story characters. I remember that a lot of people speculated that they were just doing it in the first episode to get people interested back when they first started releasing trailers and stuff but nope, you get Tyrion and his merry friends all the time. It's just so awkward to have them show up all the time in this story about a really irrelevant family and I feel like they limit their story options.

Snuffman posted:

B..B..but all those big name GoT actors! They'd go to WASTE!

j/k I strongly suspect the requirement to use the GoT actors and actresses really hurt story flexibility.

Definitely would have been a better series as something akin to Hedge Knight.

Karnegal posted:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I think if they had made a game like set farther back in westorosi history. like the hedge knight stories in A knight of the seven kingdoms. It could have been great.

Really summarize the main problem with this game, Telltale had a whole freaking world full of oft mentioned historical events which would have been awesome to see. Hell before the main parts of GoT, you had 300 years history of interesting poo poo happening in Westeros and before that, thousands of years of stuff in the world.

I say this because almost everyone agrees that the best parts of the game are Asher and Beshka schlepping around the Free Citites and bro-ing out as mercenaries, the main second (and despite having little impact on the story thus far) has been Mira in Kings Landing.

What do these two have in common? They're far away from The North and the Forester lands. The whole plight of the family lands could have been more interesting if it was set in a non-War of the Five Kings time. You want inter-house drama, set it during the Dance or the Blackfyre rebellion. Plenty of ambiguity there and no worries about throwing off the stations of canon. Hell if you still want to meet interesting "high" characters, setting in that time would be awesome, we know very little about people like Rhaenyra, Daemon(he's called the Rogue Prince, that'd be a cool guy to see come to life in a game), or any other canon people we'v not really seen come to life.

Tales from the Borderland and the Walking Dead Season 1 showed how to do a good episodic in an established universe, you need to make a focused story on a small group of people. If you bring in canon characters, they should only really be there for cameos (like Glen in Season 1) or as allies Athena in Tales, if you make a canon character the enemy, you run into the Cthulhu problem of villains, the canon character being the villain makes the conflict about beating or defeating them, even if its not. By having Ramsey be there like a demonic Mickey Mouse, even if you know you can't beat him the conflict narrative becomes about him. Unless you're like Tales and are making new canon/ given massive creative liberties, this just does not work, as we've seen in the Game of Thrones game.

Still I'm waiting to see what comes about in Episode 6 who knows, maybe something will happen to turn things around.

Hallowed
May 28, 2007

It's a pipe bomb!
Wait - it comes out tomorrow!?

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Hallowed posted:

Wait - it comes out tomorrow!?

Think so, get ready for a disappointing finale

Hallowed
May 28, 2007

It's a pipe bomb!

Ekusukariba posted:

Think so, get ready for a disappointing finale

Nah it'll be fine - we get to mess with the canon.

Ramsey gets eaten by Tyrion.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I'm putting my money on disappointing, mostly because I'm expecting it to be a setup and cliffhanger for season 2 with little if any satisfying resolution.

Also because most of the episodes have been pretty bad.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

I'm putting my money on disappointing, mostly because I'm expecting it to be a setup and cliffhanger for season 2 with little if any satisfying resolution.

Also because most of the episodes have been pretty bad.

don't forgot cheap deaths, since they'll need to cull the cast for season 2

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They'll kill off everyone left at the start of season 2 anyway

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I just finished chapter 2, wow this game is pretty terrible.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

So who wants to be on the ending being Gareth reaching the North Grove, and looks into a shining light as it ends on that as a cliffhanger

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

bobjr posted:

So who wants to be on the ending being Gareth reaching the North Grove, and looks into a shining light as it ends on that as a cliffhanger

I'm going to go with everyone dying.

Hallowed
May 28, 2007

It's a pipe bomb!
Just finished.

Out of 5 playable characters 3 didn't survive.

Hallowed fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Nov 17, 2015

Ajon
Aug 8, 2007
'VRROOOMMM!!!' roared the car. 'SPRUITS!' said gramma.
gently caress this buggy game.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I haven't even finished Chapter 5 yet, and I don't see myself finishing this right now while I have Fallout 4 and Swtor to occupy me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hallowed posted:

Just finished.

Out of 5 playable characters 3 didn't survive.

Does Beshka?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

Does Beshka?

She lives

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Wow what a disappointing finale. Whole game was kinda bad, but come on

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Hahaha. After waiting that long it ends on a loving cliffhanger.

That was total garbage and I won't be buying season 2.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Frankston posted:

Hahaha. After waiting that long it ends on a loving cliffhanger.

That was total garbage and I won't be buying season 2.

Seriously? Well gently caress that then.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Just finished it. I'm assuming there's no way to not lose Ironrath?

Man, this series feels so pointless. I don't know how else to describe it.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Just glancing at some spoilers don't know if I'll even bother to play the last episode. Definitely won't get season 2 unless it's a few eps in and the consensus is it's way improved.

Best thing they could have done in my opinion if they're going to make characters from the main series so key is to just say it's not canon and go wild with it. But I wonder if maybe GRRM wouldn't allow that(assuming he'd have a say which I'm not sure of) since he's staunchly opposed to fan-fiction.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Seriously? Well gently caress that then.

That has to be a joke, right? Season one of a game ends in a cliffhanger?

I'm not sure I even want to start up episode 3 now.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You know what I don't want to even bother. Someone spoil all what happens please

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I still haven't played beyond episode 4 and I'm starting to think I never will. Lord.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

bobjr posted:

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm going to go with everyone dying.

these. the first 3 episodes were good, but then it starts to falter around 4 and falls flat at 5. see with walking dead, the narrative "walls" were less obvious at least the first time through. this was mostly because it was all original characters who were well written. same with borderlands one. Game of thrones has just to many plot armored characters and non choices. all the choices basically end with a main character from the show walking up, saying gently caress you(maybe nicely or rudely) and you kind then just meander down a linear story. I personally think the first 3 and half episodes handle it alright. the whole garret killing brett thing is good example. but the pay off sucks. no matter how you played it, you never get to say, "i killed him in self defense" and even is chad or biff agree with your statement, drill seargent still fucks you over. thats where the game starts to take a downturn. then with the second appearance of Ramsay, it shits it self. I dont mind choices being false to an extent, but don't make it so transparent.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

You know what I don't want to even bother. Someone spoil all what happens please

I only skimmed a youtube video but In no particular order, Ironrath is lost, Beshka ends up riding away with Ryon, Asher/Roderick get badly stabbed, escape and sentinal and talia find him, Mira can get beheaded or marry that one merchant guy, Gared gets to the north grove, Cotter dies, and Gared gets a dragon glass knife or something and can get the tribe he met there to march to ironrath or nothing (I really skipped over this part because I couldn't care), Lady Forrestor and Lord Whitehill can die from drinking poison (not sure if its avoidable and only with Asher I think), think you can kill Gryff, who finally has an eyepatch if you beat him, Elaena is like kidnapped or killed if you are Roderick, if you're Asher then there'll be a plot about him marrying Gwyn as a peace offer, which will always go south and she can stab you, with Roderick I believe he goes into a Whitehill camp and can kill Ludd or go after Gryff

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

Mira: Margery is mad at Sera for getting you into the party last episode. You can either let Sera take the blame or take it on yourself and be released from Margery's service. Later on the coal boy warns you that someone is spreading rumors that you killed the Lannister guard (another case of damned if you do it, damned if you don't cause I ran away from the guard and threw away the dagger). You find lord Morgryn and he helps you get away from the guards before revealing that he's the one trying to frame you so he can be partners with the Whitehills and then he drops you off at the black cells. Morgryn later comes to visit you in prison and proposes that you marry him so he can have Ironrath because he's convinced non of the other Forresters are gonna make it out alive and if you agree he'll keep you alive. I refused and was executed.

Gared: you find the north grove. There's a village there lead by two siblings, brother and sister, that are actually Lord Gregor Forrester's secret bastards. The brother is a warg and the sister uses blood magic to harness the grove's power and mind controls a bunch of wildlings to act as her guards/servants although she's starting to lose her control over them. Cotter is barely alive and Sylvi wants you to put him out of his misery, the sister wants you to kill him too but as part of a ritual that's supposed to unlock more of the grove's power. In the end they ask you to decide if they should stay and protect the grove or head south to aid Ironrath.

Asher/Rodrick (I chose Rodrick but it probably doesn't really matter): The Whitehills are besieging Ironrath. Rodrick, Beskha and the mercs sneak into Ludd's camp and then you choose between following Gryff and saving Ryon or following Ludd. I followed Ludd and killed him dead, Beskha disappears during the fight. You return to Ironrath and fight the army that's broken through. You kill a bunch of soldiers but get overwhelmed. Forrester mom dies, Elaena is seen being dragged off and Rodrick gets a sword right through the stomach and an arrow to the chest but somehow still doesn't die. Duncan puts him on a horse and he escapes the keep. Gryff is alive and well.

In the epilogue Talia along with Ser Royland (the traitor) somehow made it out of the keep and they find Rodrick and in another scene we see Beskha riding with Ryon.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I actually quite enjoyed that. I guess going in knowing it ended on a cliffhanger in advance meant that I'd set my expectations right. But I think this was probably the best episode since the first.

Going in Asher was dead, and I played Roderick as roaring for revenge. It played out rather well. And Mira got executed and Ludd got seriously deaded, so that was fun. My main take away is that Roderick is basically unkillable though. Seriously, he must have taken more stab wounds than entire armies at this point.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Honestly I was thinking of playing the last episode to see how bad the trainwreck would be but it just sounds like its more boring edgelord poo poo that goes nowhere so I'm just uninstalling it.

What a poo poo game.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Senjuro posted:

Gared: you find the north grove. There's a village there lead by two siblings, brother and sister, that are actually Lord Gregor Forrester's secret bastards. The brother is a warg and the sister uses blood magic to harness the grove's power

:wtc:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yeah, that bit was silly. But that entire plotline's gone nowhere all series.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I don't know, I thought that part was pretty cool.

Everything else, especially Mira, was utter nonsense and this was a miserable train wreck to play through. Which makes it a true GoT game, since the show has basically devolved into that as well.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
I didn't find the ending so bad.

I put on my Telltale armor first though and mentally prepared myself that about half the things I want to do just aren't possible, and just made the best choices I could towards making those goals happen anyway.

Also people complaining about it being too brutal/dark/not rewarding... for one thing they can't go there before the source franchise has any kind of happy ending. That much I can understand about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Senjuro posted:

Asher/Rodrick (I chose Rodrick but it probably doesn't really matter): The Whitehills are besieging Ironrath. Rodrick, Beskha and the mercs sneak into Ludd's camp and then you choose between following Gryff and saving Ryon or following Ludd. I followed Ludd and killed him dead, Beskha disappears during the fight. You return to Ironrath and fight the army that's broken through. You kill a bunch of soldiers but get overwhelmed. Forrester mom dies, Elaena is seen being dragged off and Rodrick gets a sword right through the stomach and an arrow to the chest but somehow still doesn't die. Duncan puts him on a horse and he escapes the keep. Gryff is alive and well.

In the epilogue Talia along with Ser Royland (the traitor) somehow made it out of the keep and they find Rodrick and in another scene we see Beskha riding with Ryon.

This ends up the same with Asher in the end but it sounds like you actually had a different set of things to do. Plus my epilogue was a little different. Also I murdered Gryff and and Ludd lived. Never went to his camp though.

Georgia Peach fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 18, 2015

• Locked thread