Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Karl what do you make of all this?????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

TheCoach posted:

Some people just no poo poo pulled pledges from Infinity:Battlescape kickstarter because they saw that Smart has backed it/doesn't hate it.

Star Citizens are the worst...

The worst, and apparently really obsessed with Derek. :psyduck: What next, start boycotting any food or drink that Derek enjoys?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Berious posted:

Earl grey tastes like washing up liquid to me

Tetley is the tea of the proletariat - preferably strong enough to stand your spoon up in

Five minutes or go home.

D_Smart posted:

Wait. Are you saying that nobody connected to the 38 Studios fiasco was jailed for fraud?

Yeah, that's what I've been trying to hunt down. Schilling and a couple of the other guys had to liquidate a bunch of assets to throw Rhode Island 4.4 million to settle. The alternative would have been going to trial, and actually proving 'deliberate deception' is usually a bitch unless there's a specific attempt to cover it up.

Mirificus posted:

Deliberately preying on people with mental illness with the rationale of "helping" them was really gross.

It's one of the bigger reasons that Scientologists don't like psychology. Competition.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Joking aside the crazy poo poo that Derek Smart has to put up with on twitter is unbelievable and it's been going on for months. The mentally ill are very into gaming it appears.

https://twitter.com/WhiteknightNL/with_replies

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

AP posted:

The mentally ill are very into gaming twitter it appears.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

D_Smart posted:

Not unless the morons running such a scam, single me out and attack me in media for calling them out on bullshit. Then it's on.

:allears: oh derek

AP posted:

Joking aside the crazy poo poo that Derek Smart has to put up with on twitter is unbelievable and it's been going on for months. The mentally ill are very into gaming it appears.

How many threats of sexual violence? He's got a long way to catch up to Anita Sarkeesian.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Amarcarts posted:

Don't do a chargeback until a reasonable amount of time has passed. I think two weeks is reasonable.
CIG weren't reasonable in wasting his time in the whole "checking with my manager" when it's known that they've been issuing refunds regardless.

Chargeback is the easiest and most time efficient way to get a refund, even more so now CIG are dragging their heels at every turn in this regard. Unless you're happy bouncing emails back and forth and waiting a month or more.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

Hollywood trends.

OK, and 14 studios to rule them all.

We forget that there was a very well produced reality series called TNGS season 1.

When's season 2 airing? I can't wait.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

no_recall posted:

We forget that there was a very well produced reality series called TNGS season 1.

When's season 2 airing? I can't wait.

That's her, in the red dress.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov posted:

How many threats of sexual violence? He's got a long way to catch up to Anita Sarkeesian.

I don't know. Hopefully none as it's all about drama over pictures of spaceships?

Wulf is playing again.

AP fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 18, 2015

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

D_Smart posted:

As I posted earlier (also on Twitter), we have come to the conclusion that they may be setting up my sources to get busted. I have reached out to legal to get more details about what the implications are of using sourced information about a crowd-funded project and which has nothing to do with trade secrets and such. They had told me, weeks back, that there's nothing illegal about it (hence my tweet this morning) since I am reporting on a matter that is of the public interest (to the tune of $95m) and which I have been established (since July) as a public opposition of. It's crazy, but seriously, there are laws about this poo poo. Imagine if Apple, Google or any of those companies, went after people who leaked info about projects. Though this is different.

I'm glad that you're attempting to make sure that your sources don't get caught in the shitstorm. I've got deep respect for anyone stuck in a lovely job like that who is willing to try to bring poo poo to light.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Karl what do you make of all this?????

Also appears proud on Twitter that CIG is obfuscating their finances with their profusion of companies.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

AP posted:

I don't know. Hopefully none as it's all about drama over pictures of spaceships?

Wulf is playing again.

What is the reference to Alganon? Googling it only gets me images of a lovely wow clone (and holy poo poo is it a clone)

ideate
Aug 20, 2002

CrazyTolradi posted:

CIG weren't reasonable in wasting his time in the whole "checking with my manager" when it's known that they've been issuing refunds regardless.

Chargeback is the easiest and most time efficient way to get a refund, even more so now CIG are dragging their heels at every turn in this regard. Unless you're happy bouncing emails back and forth and waiting a month or more.

After they offered me half the value of my account, I asked why I couldn't get a full refund and quoted the polygon article where croberts said "We don't publicize it, but when people reach out to us and talk to us in a rational manner, in most cases we've refunded them," and "We don't want people to be part of the project if they're not happy."

so customer support said:

quote:

This is all done on a discretionary basis and we are not refunding everyone who emails because of personal hardships and nor are we obligated to. It sounds like you are now threatening us?

what the gently caress

ugh i'm such an idiot for funding this trainwreck

anyway chargeback tomorrow if they don't refund my whole account

thanks derek you're my only friend

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

CrazyTolradi posted:

I'm kind of torn on the issue. I think it's important to be reasonable because then if the person resorts to a chargeback the bank is more likely to side with them. It seems like CIG isn't having a lot of chargebacks brought against them because they'll cave in and do a refund when someone threatens. This means that it's likely people will get their money back but also probably that very few actual chargebacks have been filed against the company so they aren't on the banks' radars as scammy. Also: PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRPPPPPPPPPPPPP

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

ideate posted:

After they offered me half the value of my account, I asked why I couldn't get a full refund and quoted the polygon article where croberts said "We don't publicize it, but when people reach out to us and talk to us in a rational manner, in most cases we've refunded them," and "We don't want people to be part of the project if they're not happy."

what the gently caress

:lol: what in the gently caress.

who wrote that email asking if you're threatening them, does it say?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mirificus posted:

Please don't forget about the Dark Knights:

My, what a healthy and rational video game community.

Edit: lol did it just disappear?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Deki posted:

What is the reference to Alganon? Googling it only gets me images of a lovely wow clone (and holy poo poo is it a clone)

I dunno anything about it http://massivelyop.com/2015/06/01/derek-smart-defends-alganon-against-review-bombing/

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

Yeah, that clown and EVERYONE who follows him, are blocked.

ideate
Aug 20, 2002

A Neurotic Jew posted:

:lol: what in the gently caress.

who wrote that email asking if you're threatening them, does it say?

They all say

quote:

Best,
CIG Customer Service

sweet

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

ideate posted:

what the gently caress

Screenshot that and post it please, holy lol.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Sandi that's pretty confrontational for a customer service email don't you think?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Omi-Polari posted:

My, what a healthy and rational video game community.

Edit: lol did it just disappear?
I think they took it down in shame but not to worry;

The Dark Knight Rises:

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

D_Smart posted:

It's crazy, but seriously, there are laws about this poo poo. Imagine if Apple, Google or any of those companies, went after people who leaked info about projects. Though this is different.

Apple has gone after leakers, repeatedly: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_v._Does
(OS leak) - http://www.macworld.com/article/1043851/lawsuit.html
And of course, the iPhone 4: http://www.businessinsider.com/brian-hogan-lost-iphone-4-reddit-2013-6

In the two cases where property was stolen, they won settlements, in the two cases they've gone after internal leaking employees, they lost thanks to shield laws.

It was eventually noted they caught the leaks going to AppleInsider thanks to their 'Worldwide Loyalty Team' - http://appleinsider.com/articles/09/12/15/apples_worldwide_loyalty_team_ensures_secrets_stay_secret

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Meanwhile in Customer Service:

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

A buddy was just informed that they would refund half of his account.

They asked him to choose which pledges he would like to have refunded. Maybe someone recently read Sophie's Choice during a community interaction retreat.

He's going to talk to his bank tomorrow, though he issued an email asking after this policy.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Deki posted:

overhyped over promised MMO that a small studio went bankrupt making and released in a barely functional mess

Derek Smart buys said mess and keeps it running, and even improves it to be much more functional than it was. Because he is an expert on messes.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

Wulf is playing again.

Yeah, someone already DM'ed me that entire exchange earlier; and I've messaged Keith as well.

ideate
Aug 20, 2002

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Sandi that's pretty confrontational for a customer service email don't you think?

I was kind of wondering if it's her since I'm "Concierge" and I've seen her sign emails with the "Best," thing.

gently caress I'm an idiot

concierge good christ

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Dusty Lens posted:

A buddy was just informed that they would refund half of his account.

They asked him to choose which pledges he would like to have refunded. Maybe someone recently read Sophie's Choice during a community interaction retreat.

He's going to talk to his bank tomorrow, though he issued an email asking after this policy.

Strangely enough CIG also offered me half my account back. What is with "half" and CIG?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
It's gotta be Sandi, no one else on customer service would take this personally. I am dying.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Raskolnikov posted:

Strangely enough CIG also offered me half my account back. What is with "half" and CIG?

CIG did the same with me. It just happened to be nearly the dollar exact "value" of the pledges in my hangar and more than I expected to receive so I had no trouble pulling the trigger.

Originally it was a quiet shove out the door.
Then it was nothing with gifted credit.
Now it's just half.

If game development went at a 20th the speed of CIG CS refund policy changes this thread would be centered around discussing ideal ship setups, how much fun it was popping the cork on someone's Constellation and the latest hilarious PACT fuckup.

What could have been.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

A Neurotic Jew posted:

It's gotta be Sandi, no one else on customer service would take this personally. I am dying.

It could also be Lesnick's wife? She strikes me as being quite arrogant and spiteful from watching a few of the CG streams.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Mirificus posted:

I think they took it down in shame but not to worry;

The Dark Knight Rises:

Because this is Star Citizen I literally cannot figure out if the Dark Knight Rises on this photo each time it is posted is what a crazy Star Citizen posted with it to mirror their stupid as gently caress White Knight label, or an ITT joke about mass shootings, or both.

ideate
Aug 20, 2002

A Neurotic Jew posted:

It seems like the CIG customer service formula for refunds is

1) Ignore initial request
2) "Talk to manager"
3) Offer half (new?)
4) You're threatening us? (what)

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

AP posted:

Holy poo poo I didn't realize that MY BOY Stew360 is going full white knight for Star Citizen. God bless his crazy Quebecois rear end.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

fuctifino posted:

It could also be Lesnick's wife? She strikes me as being quite arrogant and spiteful from watching a few of the CG streams.

I honestly have never heard her say a word on any of those shows. I am lolling either way.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

Because this is Star Citizen I literally cannot figure out if the Dark Knight Rises on this photo each time it is posted is what a crazy Star Citizen posted with it to mirror their stupid as gently caress White Knight label, or an ITT joke about mass shootings, or both.

Mirificus posted:

Honest question: Was the Star Citizen Dark Knight thread too inappropriate?

Star Citizen's Dark Knight posted:

Hopefully this doesn't get me on probation, so, here goes:

Star Citizen has its fair share of White Knights, those who would stand up with CIG and protect it against all those who would seek to tear it down.
But recently those attacks have grown to be more vicious and aggressive than ever before, which presents us with a question:
Does Star Citizen need, therefore, a Dark Knight?

Does Star Citizen need, or deserve him?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ideate posted:

what the gently caress

"No, I wasn't threatening you before but now either you refund my poo poo by the end of this week or it's chargeback time."

Unfucking believable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

That guy either gets his shoes wet a lot and doesn't dry them or spends long periods on his knees.

• Locked thread