Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.
Derek you've made some extreme claims in this thread and i think it behooves you to provide som clarity on the following points:

1) Have you ever had a banh mi sandwich
2) Have you ever had a tim tam
3) have you ever experienced wasabi mayonnaise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Riding to my work
I guess I don't need these wrists
I also don't need pubes

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 12, 2016

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

fuctifino posted:

Those images aren't mine by the way. I found them on GIS.

I would have been GREATLY concerned if they were yours.

Like, how would you even have them.

Does Sandy make faces for money?

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

AP posted:

Heh, I don't really care about elite. I'm interested in consumer rights and how the refund thing relates to Star Citizen, Frontier's actions were odd as it would never stand up in court. Frontier settled every case in the end and the one guy who did file for court had his filing fee refunded by them too. That's why they changed policy on it, they wouldn't win, it would be expensive to fight and the public relations issue would be worse than it was.

The odd thing was they tried no refunds in the 1st place to those who'd played an alpha.

ad hominem against a game company, good job you were here to defend them.

Also your last line is wrong, kickstarters are just contracts between the customer and the company, if the company doesn't fulfill the terms of the contract, which involves anything advertised about the game by any member of the company then the customer can fall back on contract law. However as I said before in the EU since June 2014, you're covered far beyond that for a no reason refund up to deliver +14 days. Kickstarter have their terms but that doesn't affect anything as they just want to stay out of any dispute.

I can back all this up with evidence if you like as I followed the issue quite closely but considering you don't really care about refunds I'm going to put your behaviour down to just being terribly misinformed about your rights.

wow the sc thread is full of happy gamers

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

McGiggins posted:

Does Sandy make faces for money?

She's an actor, or at least an “actor” — either way, yes.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Wuxi posted:

I'm not sure how someone can sing the Horst-Wessel-Lied on loving livestream and not be completely insane. How can you even think that this is a good idea?

Wait, what? I thought when you people mentioned "the nazi anthem" that she had just stupidly sang the entire german anthem not realizing that the first 2 stanzas had been memory-holed after WWII. She sang Horst-Wessel-Lied? How the gently caress does that happen? :psyduck:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Devian666 posted:

CIG are threatened by legal rights that they are required to fulfill. Every refund is pushing this project closer to extinction now if they are responding like this. Maybe there's only a few hundred thousand left?
As much as I'd like to imagine that they are that close to breaking, without the financials it's really not a sure thing. Although, you'd have to lean in that direction given their recent actions with refunds (stalling, money being refunded via multiple accounts) and that it might well be the case CIG has severe issues with liquidity (and I sure wouldn't be surprised if that turns out to be true). Failing an instance of CIG's financial records being released (either willingly or via legal action), the most likely sign of this would be rumours of delays on payroll. That's usually the first solid sign that a company has financial difficulties to the point where they should be going under voluntary administration (but more often than not won't). Of course, you have to wonder just how much money they're spending their CS staff to try saving a few hundred bucks here and there because there'd have to be a point where they're spending more money than they're saving (and I get the feeling they've passed that point).

I find it a bit funny that Star Cultists think Derek's issue with SC arises from pure jealousy and not wanting to allow someone else to "make the game he tried to so often". If that was the case, surely you'd also see Derek going after other crowd funded space games instead of promoting them? Not to mention that Derek originally backed SC himself, but I could guess that any die hard SC backer would believe he did so purely to go after them.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Not projecting:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Cheatum the Evil Midget posted:

Derek you've made some extreme claims in this thread and i think it behooves you to provide som clarity on the following points:

1) Have you ever had a banh mi sandwich
2) Have you ever had a tim tam
3) have you ever experienced wasabi mayonnaise

Yes
Yes (tin ham)
Yes

ps: Yes, I'm actually certifiably insane. So I have an excuse to answer "yes" to all of the above.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

CrazyTolradi posted:

The reason why I'm of the opinion chargebacks are the best way to go is because of this"

They're now telling people that they don't have a right to a refund, which. depending on your jurisdiction, may well be a flat out lie (as an Australian, it would be for me). Screw it, don't bother wasting any more time and effort on this abysmal failure of a project than you have to. You shouldn't have to hold a chargeback over their CS rep to get your money back

It's also highly loving hilarious that CIG finds it "threatening" to have people exercise their rights as a consumer. How dare the non-believers doubt the glorious vision of mush mouth prophet Croberts.

Derek is half right, but only in theory - if enough people actually chargeback them over this, they lose their ability to process credit cards for an indeterminate period of time on that account. The target number isn't very large, either - either a fixed number (something like $50k) over a certain period of time or 1% of their transactions over the same period of time, whichever is lower. The major card brands (Visa/Mastercard/etc) are the ones who won't tolerate this, but on the one hand whoever they're using as a payment processor is liable to turn a blind eye to things like account juggling (to spread out chargebacks and avoid hitting the limit on any one account) because they're making a crapton of money off of CIG so long as nobody officially reports them doing it. On the other hand, there's not exactly a mechanism for reporting this sort of thing and even if one of their accounts gets closed down they can just funnel transactions through another account in future.

That's why this is only half right (sorry Derek) - it's not really remotely plausible that enough people will go through the chargeback process to get any of CIG's processor accounts shut down, because CIG is capable of juggling the accounts to spread out the chargebacks to avoid any one account getting hit heavily enough to matter. Even if one of their accounts gets shut down from an excess of chargebacks, their related accounts are not likely to be touched - it would take at least two accounts shut down in this way to demonstrate a pattern of behavior, and we've already got demonstrated proof that they've got transactions coming through multiple sources, meaning the bar for any individual account to get nailed for chargebacks is going to be rather high, let alone multiple accounts crossing that threshold. In practice the chance that they'll lose the ability to process credit cards through any of their accounts is so remote as to be effectively zero, let alone all of their accounts.

On the other hand, chargeback fees are _totally_ a thing; typically anywhere from 25$-75$ a transaction, and not only do payment processors take a percentage cut of the transaction, about half the time processors will also charge the same cut on issued refunds. If my payment processor charges 4% on a 100$ transaction, that is later refunded via chargeback, that means that not only do I have to refund the full $100 to the consumer (as per Visa and Mastercard, fees for using credit cards cannot be passed to the consumer), I get hit with a 4$ charge for accepting the transaction, possibly hit with a 4$ charge for refunding the transaction, and also hit with a $25 (or more!) fee for the chargeback. So that $100 in (that's actually $96 in pocket) ends up being a total of $129 or more out.

The reason CIG is trying not to issue full refunds is because every refund is a loss for them; even if their processor doesn't double-dip on refunds they're still out a percentage of the transaction, and chargeback threats are not only worse but require administrative oversight to ensure that the funding model isn't accidentally taken down by having too many chargebacks issued through the same processors. When they're trying to deny any individual their refund, it's because ANY refund is a net loss, and they're trying to balance how much they can try and hang onto without refunding vs the likelihood that you'll actually go through the chargeback process and cost them an extra chunk of change. They can juggle accounts all they want, there's no getting out of the chargeback fees which is why they still want to avoid them.

Edit: This is really as simple as a discussion of this gets - without knowing the specific details of the contracts they signed with their payment processor(s), whether or not they're held to stricter standards or the specifics of what might happen IF an account gets taken down through chargebacks aren't really on the table for speculation. Any individual payment processor IS absolutely capable of connecting the dots between companies, but in general due diligence on the processor side is limited to the primary account holder and whether or not that individual has the authority to sign for processing on behalf of their company.

Olesh fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 18, 2015

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.
A tim tam is an australian chocolate biscuit

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I have Salad Cream on sausage sandwiches

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Olesh posted:

Derek is half right...

Is this why people are getting refunds from all kinds of different companies? So CIG spread the burden and don't get bitchslapped?

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

I have Salad Cream on sausage sandwiches

gently caress. YEs.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
A tin ham is SPAM

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
in the end aren't we all just jpegs?

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

MeLKoR posted:

Wait, what? I thought when you people mentioned "the nazi anthem" that she had just stupidly sang the entire german anthem not realizing that the first 2 stanzas had been memory-holed after WWII. She sang Horst-Wessel-Lied? How the gently caress does that happen? :psyduck:

I don't watch those livestreams (or anything else really, I just read the thread), but somebody in here said she sang the Horst-Wessel-Lied. The Deutschlandlied sounds a bit more reasonable, at least its not actually verboten.
Isn't there a video of that stuff somewhere? Now I'm really curious.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

ideate posted:

I was kind of wondering if it's her since I'm "Concierge" and I've seen her sign emails with the "Best," thing.

gently caress I'm an idiot

concierge good christ

Wasn't that how the nameless CS ticket promising alpha 2.0 in 10 days was signed? I think Sandi's trolling everybody now.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

Is this why people are getting refunds from all kinds of different companies? So CIG spread the burden and don't get bitchslapped?

Not really. CIG's ability to juggle around chargebacks is limited, as that's initiated from the consumer and follows the channel the consumer used to pay. What CIG CAN do is spread incoming transactions through multiple accounts (instead of through a single account) in order to spread the risk, and when issuing refunds can choose favorable refund sources. Chargebacks are their own separate things; a high volume of refunds issued doesn't negatively affect the account and as long as the customer is happy with their refund and doesn't initiate a chargeback they (CIG) essentially have discretion to funnel that through whatever accounts they want for that purpose.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Olesh posted:

Derek is half right, but only in theory - if enough people actually chargeback them over this, they lose their ability to process credit cards for an indeterminate period of time on that account. The target number isn't very large, either - either a fixed number (something like $50k) over a certain period of time or 1% of their transactions over the same period of time, whichever is lower. The major card brands (Visa/Mastercard/etc) are the ones who won't tolerate this, but on the one hand whoever they're using as a payment processor is liable to turn a blind eye to things like account juggling (to spread out chargebacks and avoid hitting the limit on any one account) because they're making a crapton of money off of CIG so long as nobody officially reports them doing it. On the other hand, there's not exactly a mechanism for reporting this sort of thing and even if one of their accounts gets closed down they can just funnel transactions through another account in future.

That's why this is only half right (sorry Derek) - it's not really remotely plausible that enough people will go through the chargeback process to get any of CIG's processor accounts shut down, because CIG is capable of juggling the accounts to spread out the chargebacks to avoid any one account getting hit heavily enough to matter. Even if one of their accounts gets shut down from an excess of chargebacks, their related accounts are not likely to be touched - it would take at least two accounts shut down in this way to demonstrate a pattern of behavior, and we've already got demonstrated proof that they've got transactions coming through multiple sources, meaning the bar for any individual account to get nailed for chargebacks is going to be rather high, let alone multiple accounts crossing that threshold. In practice the chance that they'll lose the ability to process credit cards through any of their accounts is so remote as to be effectively zero, let alone all of their accounts.

On the other hand, chargeback fees are _totally_ a thing; typically anywhere from 25$-75$ a transaction, and not only do payment processors take a percentage cut of the transaction, about half the time processors will also charge the same cut on issued refunds. If my payment processor charges 4% on a 100$ transaction, that is later refunded via chargeback, that means that not only do I have to refund the full $100 to the consumer (as per Visa and Mastercard, fees for using credit cards cannot be passed to the consumer), I get hit with a 4$ charge for accepting the transaction, possibly hit with a 4$ charge for refunding the transaction, and also hit with a $25 (or more!) fee for the chargeback. So that $100 in (that's actually $96 in pocket) ends up being a total of $129 or more out.

The reason CIG is trying not to issue full refunds is because every refund is a loss for them; even if their processor doesn't double-dip on refunds they're still out a percentage of the transaction, and chargeback threats are not only worse but require administrative oversight to ensure that the funding model isn't accidentally taken down by having too many chargebacks issued through the same processors. When they're trying to deny any individual their refund, it's because ANY refund is a net loss, and they're trying to balance how much they can try and hang onto without refunding vs the likelihood that you'll actually go through the chargeback process and cost them an extra chunk of change. They can juggle accounts all they want, there's no getting out of the chargeback fees which is why they still want to avoid them.

Edit: This is really as simple as a discussion of this gets - without knowing the specific details of the contracts they signed with their payment processor(s), whether or not they're held to stricter standards or the specifics of what might happen IF an account gets taken down through chargebacks aren't really on the table for speculation. Any individual payment processor IS absolutely capable of connecting the dots between companies, but in general due diligence on the processor side is limited to the primary account holder and whether or not that individual has the authority to sign for processing on behalf of their company.

CIG uses Stripe as their payment processor, which has a flat $15/dispute fee (except in Australia, where it's about $25), and doesn't generally take any other action until more than 1% of total transactions are disputed.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Olesh posted:

Not really. CIG's ability to juggle around chargebacks is limited, as that's initiated from the consumer and follows the channel the consumer used to pay. What CIG CAN do is spread incoming transactions through multiple accounts (instead of through a single account) in order to spread the risk, and when issuing refunds can choose favorable refund sources. Chargebacks are their own separate things; a high volume of refunds issued doesn't negatively affect the account and as long as the customer is happy with their refund and doesn't initiate a chargeback they (CIG) essentially have discretion to funnel that through whatever accounts they want for that purpose.

Thanks for the info and confirmation that they are still somehow underhanded fuckwits

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Octopode posted:

CIG uses Stripe as their payment processor, which has a flat $15/dispute fee (except in Australia, where it's about $25), and doesn't generally take any other action until more than 1% of total transactions are disputed.

1%?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Woah I just made a post using no letters that made sense

Dirty Hairy
Oct 18, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Olesh posted:

chargebacks!

CS finally got back to me a few days ago to begin the refund dance, but I'm once again waiting for them to respond. I haven't gotten the "half of your account" offer...yet. My issue with chargebacks is that some of my payments are from 2013, some from last year, others from earlier this year, but all through PayPal. Is it possible to issue chargeback requests on everything, and if I did, would I just be taking a big chance of losing money?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Wuxi posted:

Isn't there a video of that stuff somewhere? Now I'm really curious.

Theey edited it out and noone seems to have a back-up :-/

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dirty Hairy posted:

CS finally got back to me a few days ago to begin the refund dance, but I'm once again waiting for them to respond. I haven't gotten the "half of your account" offer...yet. My issue with chargebacks is that some of my payments are from 2013, some from last year, others from earlier this year, but all through PayPal. Is it possible to issue chargeback requests on everything, and if I did, would I just be taking a big chance of losing money?

Just give it a go imo, live dangerously

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Olesh posted:

No need to say sorry; I don't profess to have all the answers. Ever :)

Great write-up though; and it makes sense.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Yeah, I know. I put (Tim Ham) in brackets as well since I've also had that :)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

D_Smart posted:

No need to say sorry; I don't profess to have all the answers. Ever :)

Great write-up though; and it makes sense.

I am going to sue you for every last drop of your Salad Cream, how do you plead?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Olesh posted:

This is a fantastic post. I stress this only because it's been a month since the final 3rd of my refund was promised with no transaction. The ONLY time I have received an actual response is to show that I've put forth the effort one the exact transaction, amount, and invoice that will be the subject of the chargeback.

I sent this Thursday and last Friday I got a response from Krayklin (sp?) saying he would 'personally look into it right now.'

After seeing goons get responses over the weekend, last night I sent another reply- even given the weekend the lack of any follow up to a ticket that needs a simple resolution is completely unprofessional and insulting.

For example I was juggling multiple tickets today and told a user I would get back to him by CoB with an update. I ended up bogged down with higher priority issues and couldn't address his issue. However, I still sent an email to the user to tell him I got backed up and would address it in the morning. And these aren't customers- it's just how you act in a professional manner.

That being said, I sent an email last night informing them that I was finally going to go through with the chargeback and in addition make the entire experience extremely public. I received this response:

"Hi there Joe,
Someone will be reaching out to you in the next day about the refund through Paypal.
Respectfully closing this ticket to avoid confusion.
Best,
CIG Customer Service"

One day, and if it's not resolved in definitely going through the CU.

ideate
Aug 20, 2002
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/15060-Mining-Rocks-November-2945

quote:

Big Benny’s is Back!

After hearing a lot of feedback, we are happy to announce that the popular Big Benny’s Kacho-To-Go vending machines will be returning to select Shubin facilities by the end of the year. The So Much Soup! vending machines will continue to be an option as well.

well that's just insensitive.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Olesh posted:

This is a really good post, but my main point was more from the perspective of people trying to get refunds. I couldn't really care how bad it may or may not impact CIG to have chargebacks occurring, however it is simply just crappy customer service to have to bounce emails back and forth and wait a month or more for a refund and deal with lovely offers like "Well, maybe we can give you $X? I'll have to ask my boss.". Clearly, for a refund request the ticket should be going to someone who has the ability to issue them without checking with their boss (to a certain extent of course). It should not be dragged out as much as it is, as well as telling people stupid poo poo like "We don't have to actually refund you so because we're nice here's a small amount maybe.". All it does is to generate bad PR via word of mouth.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

This doesn't really answer why they are spreading out the refunds across 2 or 3 different payment processors. Wouldn't they have to pay a seperate transaction fee for each? What's the benefit there?

Best,
CIG Customer Service

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

It is. Although it would be better described as a Penguin "variant":

http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/biscuits/previous.php3?item=47

This thread has good tea chat, and other things that are good with tea, like the above.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SquirrelGrip posted:

wow the sc thread is full of happy gamers

If you are in the SC thread to defend your favorite game company, you are missing an essential lesson. Identifying so much of your personal self-worth with a thing you are a fan of, such that you feel attacked just because someone said something bad about it, is what this whole operation is preying on.

Besides, it's a hate thread. SC is worth hating but shots are gonna get fired at other fuckups because hate is contagious.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ideate posted:

I was kind of wondering if it's her since I'm "Concierge" and I've seen her sign emails with the "Best," thing.

gently caress I'm an idiot

concierge good christ

Step one: Don't spend a thousand dollars on a video game that isn't out yet (or I mean at all really)
Step two: be less upset about things in general.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Tim Tams are terrible, even my guppies won't eat them. :colbert:

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Octopode posted:

1% is an industry standard for this, yes. Stripe's not one of the big 20 processors so it's a little surprising that they charge so small a fee for disputes - generally the smaller fry have to charge larger dispute fees because the relative costs of handling disputes is higher. Even if they use Stripe as their sole processor it's almost a certainty that they're using multiple accounts for that purpose, since they've so heavily subdivided on the business-entity end - what is the full list of individual corporate entities so far, 14? I'd expect one account per entity, or at the very least one account for Foundry 42, one account for CIG, one account for RSI, etc.

So long as they balance incoming transactions commensurate with their outgoing disputes (to avoid their total disputes reaching that 1% number), they can avoid getting any of their accounts shut down. Even shady southeast asian internet storefronts can manage this pretty much indefinitely with only two or three accounts; it wouldn't surprise me if CIG had one per company.

The long and short of it is absent actual fraud demonstrated through a court judgement or enough people reporting them for deceptive marketing practices, neither the processors or the major card brands are going to open an investigation just from the small portion of people who are denied a full refund and choose to dispute via a chargeback.

Dirty Hairy posted:

This is where it gets a little bit dodgy on CIG's part, because there absolutely is a point beyond which you can't demand a chargeback. The issue here is not that the original transaction was from 2013 (or 2014 or whenever), because the timer starts ticking on chargebacks from when the expected date of delivery was at the date of the original transaction. If CIG was on record as having said "Nov 2014", such as for the original kickstarter backers, then the timer for your chargeback starts ticking Dec 1, 2014, upon failure of CIG to deliver what was promised by the date specified. For other backers, when the specified delivery date is either unclear or changes based on CIG's shifting goalposts, it really depends on what you can demonstrate as the expected delivery date of the product and how far from that date you currently are, and what was promised in the TOS that was public at the time. At the very least, CIG has not been doing themselves any favors because there's a certain leeway and flexibility allowed in circumstances when there's a dispute about the delivery date for a product - by inserting their own delays and moving the expected delivery date into the future, they open themselves up for disputes that they cannot win.

However, be aware that Paypal is NOT Visa or Mastercard. Paypal may tell you that you aren't allowed to dispute the transaction, at which point you'd be stuck with whatever CIG is offering as a refund short of filing a claim in small claims court. Your credit card issuer (especially if they're a credit union) is going to be much easier to work with in terms of explaining the situation and demonstrating the need for a chargeback/dispute after attempting to obtain a full refund, even outside the normal period - this is where CIG's shifting goalposts shoots themselves in the foot, as they've opened themselves up for this essentially from now until they deliver the Star Citizen product (Squadron 42 will NOT be sufficient). Paypal is traditionally much less accommodating, and you could be screwed. Paypal _does_ typically side with the customer, but they have their own rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Apologies for the double post, it's rather difficult to keep up with the thread while trying to ensure that questions/answers are being funneled back and forth and responded to in a detailed and accurate way.

Nicholas posted:

This doesn't really answer why they are spreading out the refunds across 2 or 3 different payment processors. Wouldn't they have to pay a seperate transaction fee for each? What's the benefit there?

They're not necessarily doing it through different payment processors - Octopode indicated that they use Stripe, and I'm not going to say that he's wrong on that count or that they use any other processors. However, it is highly likely that they have multiple accounts that transactions are being funneled through depending on need, and they could easily have multiple accounts with the same payment processor.

They're paying a transaction fee regardless; whether an incoming transaction goes through account A or account B doesn't really affect their bottom line, but it does mean that they can adjust balance the accounts and adjust incoming transactions if, say, three weeks down the line they start getting hit with a bunch of refunds and they need to start pushing more incoming transactions through account A so that their balance of chargebacks to total transactions on the account stays below the magic 1% number.

CrazyTolradi posted:

This is a really good post, but my main point was more from the perspective of people trying to get refunds. I couldn't really care how bad it may or may not impact CIG to have chargebacks occurring, however it is simply just crappy customer service to have to bounce emails back and forth and wait a month or more for a refund and deal with lovely offers like "Well, maybe we can give you $X? I'll have to ask my boss.". Clearly, for a refund request the ticket should be going to someone who has the ability to issue them without checking with their boss (to a certain extent of course). It should not be dragged out as much as it is, as well as telling people stupid poo poo like "We don't have to actually refund you so because we're nice here's a small amount maybe.". All it does is to generate bad PR via word of mouth.

Understanding that any refund costs CIG money, both in terms of the refund and the time and man-hours necessary to issue them, is important to acknowledge and understand why CIG might try to avoid offering full refunds. Also, from a customer service standpoint, it's very common to have multiple levels of responsibility - if most of your requests are going to be sufficiently handled by offering a $20 credit or refund, there's no need to authorize anything more than that on a base level. Requiring higher-up approval for larger amounts isn't unusual or suspicious in any way, and in many cases you'll have various tiers of authority, where Tier 1 might only be able to authorize up to X amount, but tier 2 can authorize up to Y and with more discretion as to when refunds can be issued, while only management can authorize anything more or for more unusual circumstances. It's a balancing act and consumers will absolutely try and abuse companies for free poo poo (in the forms of refunds and/or credits) on a regular basis at the drop of a hat. The customer not only is NOT always right, the customer is frequently wrong and companies need to weigh the costs of giving in vs the costs of not giving in.

• Locked thread