Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Tanith posted:

ALWAYS SUCCESSFUL PROVIDED THERE ARE ENOUGH MARINES
:getin:

oh my goddddddd. marine boarding was the most annoying thing in the previous versions I played.

also from his twitter "A planet, just for fun"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

The Time approaches fast.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Tanith posted:

ALWAYS SUCCESSFUL PROVIDED THERE ARE ENOUGH MARINES
:getin:

It's time to be a turbopirating fuckboy come this update.:pusheen:

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Well, this should be fun. This feels like an expansion is dropping more than a patch. Lots of new content and mechanics. Lots of QoL improvements, too.

It won't be "today," but maybe this week or next?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

FooF posted:

Well, this should be fun. This feels like an expansion is dropping more than a patch. Lots of new content and mechanics. Lots of QoL improvements, too.

It won't be "today," but maybe this week or next?

Alex did say that it won't come out today, but considering that he opened up the patch thread which was just locked a couple days ago I imagine it will be in the next few days.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if the increased salvage make pirate life doable now?

And if you can just always successfully pirate with enough marines...

Bastard fleet will be best fleet.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Just as I finish making my Blackrock doom fleet equipped with scalaron blasters. :argh:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Terrific news. I'll grab this ASAP then :)

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

MShadowy posted:

Well, 0.7a RC1 seems to be being built as we speak. It'll probably drop tomorrow/the day after, after some QA time.

My breathing has accelerated. I suspect I may be salivating. :f5:

Seriously though, I've been bored and sorely lacking an experience like this game in the past few weeks. This news is a relief.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Move over, Fallout 4.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I actually never even played the last patch so I'm pretty excited.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

McGiggins posted:

I wonder if the increased salvage make pirate life doable now?

And if you can just always successfully pirate with enough marines...

Bastard fleet will be best fleet.

Bastard fleet may be necessary for a while since the selling price of hulls was slashed so much. I imagine that is in large part because we'll be successfully boarding many more ships now.

Will this finally make dedicated troop transports and even repair rigs a viable choice to add to your fleet? I bet a lot of those boarded ships are going to be pretty beat up.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm excited to kit out an Enforcer with Safety Overrides, new HMGs and Chainguns, and burn drive it into some poor fucker while screaming CHOO-CHOO at the monitor.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
One of the new mechanics that I'm most intrigued in is how factions work in .7. If I have heard it correctly, you can only essentially be friendly with one faction because the more you boost relationship with one, the more you piss off the others. I don't know how "friendly" is friendly (i.e. Cooperative, Friendly, Welcoming, Favorable, etc.) but I still try to maintain at least decent relations in a system so that I can resupply/repair. That way of playing might be noticeably more difficult now. On the other hand, it gives me an excuse to hunt down faction fleets more frequently, which I have been loath to do for the most part until the end game.

As for the new boarding mechanics: so. nice. Marines costing so much now offsets this somewhat but the new system doesn't punish you nearly as bad with RNG and whatnot. Thing is, you'll have to carry marines around if you actually want to capture now, which gets expensive beyond the initial cost (supply hit, too).

Also, hybrid slots are going to be awesome and open up a whole new way of playing a few hull types. Has Alex said what hulls these hybrid slots will apply to? I imagine most of the Mid-Line ships but I haven't heard.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

So far, in the base game, I think it's literally the Sunder's small mounts and maybe some of the new ones. It's more of a modder's request situation.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Ah, I want Marine transports and the like to have to be in-battle.

As in, you can only capture ships that you have rammed a transport or three into, and you have to defend them while it's happening.

If successful, they limp off-screen at skeleton crew thrust.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Well drat. Between this and Battle Brothers getting a similar huge overworld update, this is going to be a good month.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"hybrid slots"

Is that different from universal slots?

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

It's a slot that takes ballistics or energy, but not missiles.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
This build is going to pull me away from Fallout 4 and Guild Wars 2 for a little while... at least once some of my favorite mods are updated to work with it. :)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I haven't actually played any of the open-world stuff (despite many hours doing the single shot missions) so this seems like a good time to get back in.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Alchenar posted:

I haven't actually played any of the open-world stuff (despite many hours doing the single shot missions) so this seems like a good time to get back in.

Whoa, really? That's...pretty crazy. Well at this point you'll have a wealth of new content to look forward to

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Hop in for a bit now so you can experience the murderous inverse difficulty curve and properly appreciate the amelioration in the upcoming patch.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Mordja posted:

Whoa, really? That's...pretty crazy. Well at this point you'll have a wealth of new content to look forward to

I bought the game way back when there literally was only the missions, played the gently caress out of those, then moved on because the first iteration of the open world was a bit rubbish and it was forever a 'work in progress'.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Alchenar posted:

I bought the game way back when there literally was only the missions, played the gently caress out of those, then moved on because the first iteration of the open world was a bit rubbish and it was forever a 'work in progress'.

If nothing else, snag Starsector+ and poke around in the open world a bit. Roll a Tri-tachyon corporate character and ask for a ship upgrade, you'll start with a Tempest right away. Tempests can punch way above their weight if you're a decent pilot, plus nothing can catch you unless you totally screw up somehow.

If you get Nexerelin it allows for randomized systems and 4X style "conquer everything" gameplay as opposed to a static world where the political map never really changes.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Ah gently caress Alex is really teasing this patch release in a way I don't remember happening. With officers, joining in progress battles, new ships, and all the small changes to rep and such this seems like the biggest patch since trade and black markets were added. Which is also the last time I played.

I am so ready to get back into this I just hope he pulls it through before the weekend.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I can't decide whether officers or joining in-progress battles is what I'm the most excited about! :woop:

Warheart525
Jun 22, 2008

Ab-so-lutely!
Maybe I missed it, but has Alex said anything about expanding the Leadership skill tree? It seems like he's got some new opportunities with the addition of officers.

lolasaurusrex
Feb 8, 2013

Jesus christ... I forgot this existed. When I bought this there were something like 5/6 missions in the game, and a super brief tutorial.

Seems to have developed into an actual game since then, so I'm gonna spend the last 3 hours of work trying to remember my login details, then I'm going to get this running.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

lolasaurusrex posted:

Seems to have developed into an actual game since then, so I'm gonna spend the last 3 hours of work trying to remember my login details, then I'm going to get this running.

Keep in mind that you bought it when it was still still called "Starfarer" if you're searching your emails for a key.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 19, 2015

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
BTW has anyone tried Approlight? Ambitious Chinese mods are always really interesting but often kinda janky and unbalanced and I can't find any video of it.

lolasaurusrex
Feb 8, 2013

Mordja posted:

Keep in mind that you bought when it was still still called "Starfarer" if you're searching your emails for a key.

Yeah, I was able to find it that way. Downloading now!

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Mordja posted:

BTW has anyone tried Approlight? Ambitious Chinese mods are always really interesting but often kinda janky and unbalanced and I can't find any video of it.

It's playable if you like flashy broken stuff but not very polished, balanced or cohesive.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Patch is out!

:toot:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I'm at work! :toot:

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAvo3S0MD-o

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Only played 30 mins so far, the new campaign poo poo adds so much immersion :vince:

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Only played 30 mins so far, the new campaign poo poo adds so much immersion :vince:

Same here, still getting a handle on transponder use. Been jumped out of nowhere by pirates a few times now, but Going Dark makes the nice man in the Hegemony uniform awfully cranky :ohdear:

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Indeed. The coolest "hidden" feature is the little information bar above the hotbar while zipping around. If you go through a planet's ring, it names the ring. Also, the transponder effects (i.e. when you're in range) are so subtle but give so much info.

I've had to restart about 5x though. I keep running out of supplies/credits because I barely break even when killing pirates, even on easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
Can I run all my mods with the latest patch or do I have to wait for them to get updated first?