Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

And the defenses each have a lil' color for them. Neato

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

CottonWolf posted:

How viable is an entirely melee party? I've not tried one yet.

The only issue with a melee-centric party is that some areas are too narrow to have more than two or three characters standing in front, so you'll have to keep a few reach weapons handy. Other than that, it's not particularly difficult. Spreading the damage across multiple party members means you don't have to worry about tankiness, and a Barbarian is a decent substitute for the spell caster's crowd control.

Speaking of Barbarians, I think the reason some people dislike the class is that it takes a while to really shine. Early on, Carnage isn't that great due to the heavy penalties, but once you're able to stack a lot of accuracy and damage bonuses, it becomes one of the most powerful abilities in the game. Especially on harder difficulties, where almost every encounter involves mutiple enemies.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Yeah, Carnage takes a while to really become good. Especially since early on the most threatening enemies are Shades and kith in heavy armor.

The class ability progression counteracts that, though. Frenzy and Savage Defiance are both really good, but that's kind of it for a long time.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Temple of Eothas is pretty drat hard on POTD without a full party and only using story NPCs at least.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I think I managed to get through that fight in the room with the two sarcophagi, where you can loot a lovely cloak, without KOs exactly once. Then the Phantom that appears when you take said lovely cloak and that I always forget about managed to KO two or three of my guys.

The last time I went there, I just headed straight for the bones and ignored all the fights I could.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
I'm just really amazed at the level of post-launch support and straight up great things that's come in just the scant eight months since release. It really is something else, and I wish more companies were like this.

(I hope it pays off economically as well)

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Hasn't Obsidian been pretty open about the fact that they cannot sustain themselves on projects of this size and they genuinely still need AAA games from time to time to survive? I'm still a bit worried honestly.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Wizard Styles posted:

I think I managed to get through that fight in the room with the two sarcophagi, where you can loot a lovely cloak

I had that cloak on Eder when I killed Thaos and during the pre-fight talk Thaos made a comment about Eder being Eothasian and Eder said something like "What gave me away? The cloak?"

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION

The Sharmat posted:

Hasn't Obsidian been pretty open about the fact that they cannot sustain themselves on projects of this size and they genuinely still need AAA games from time to time to survive? I'm still a bit worried honestly.

Think so. Pillars was a nice boost, and a good long term investment since they now have an IP they own, but it was basically Sawyer's pet project that worked out better than expected. I think that Armored Warfare tank game probably helps for their general upkeep right now, would expect to hear about some project with a big publisher in the future

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The "Stormlands" (? that's a Game of Thrones continent) game that Microsoft cancelled was retooled and sold to another AAA publisher sometime after PoE took off. Feargus says that it's going to be revealed soon (as in, the next few months). But then he also said they were gearing up another crowdfunding project and that was 8 months ago.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Davos posted:

Pillars ... was basically Sawyer's pet project
That's a mischaracterization. Doing a Kickstarter project was something Nathaniel Chapman thought of and Adam Brennecke and I ran with. Adam did the majority of the KS campaign work and I handled all of the initial creative work and long-term lore/system development.

If I ever get to make a small turn-based historical/historical fantasy RPG, that would be my pet project.

Basic Chunnel posted:

The "Stormlands" (? that's a Game of Thrones continent) game that Microsoft cancelled was retooled and sold to another AAA publisher sometime after PoE took off.
The game/IP we worked on with Microsoft was never retooled and/or sold to anyone.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I thought the thread wast titled like it is because PoE is not his "gently caress You, Suck My Dick" game

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
That's correct!

Also, ropekid please make that small turn based darklands game. I'd like to see how it would work out. I'll give you $50 for it!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

rope kid posted:

The game/IP we worked on with Microsoft was never retooled and/or sold to anyone.
The way Feargus transitioned in the interview from the cancellation to pitching again made it seem that way (to me at least). The IP was something else that wasn't received well initially but caught interest on a second, modified go-round then?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I wonder how far you'd get pitching Not-Darklands to crowdfunders. There was that Staglands game, but the loading screens were so long for a 2d-RPG I had to return it.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I wonder how far you'd get pitching Not-Darklands to crowdfunders. There was that Staglands game, but the loading screens were so long for a 2d-RPG I had to return it.

Loading screens on release were also pretty long for Pillars as well particularly the later you got in the game. The SitS devs have optimized the load times and it's better. It's the Unity prefab system that bogs down the load times, I also remember them saying Unity is also pretty slow at dynamic object generation or something.

I'd also back a TB Historical RPG.

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Nov 18, 2015

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
The frozen steps bug also really screwed up load times. That was fun

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Basic Chunnel posted:

The way Feargus transitioned in the interview from the cancellation to pitching again made it seem that way (to me at least). The IP was something else that wasn't received well initially but caught interest on a second, modified go-round then?
I think that they failed to pitch again, at least that's what I took from the interview. The "retooled" version was taken up a long time after that phase.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
This has probably been asked 500 times but what's the recommended level to start the expansion content on PoTD (if that matters)?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Right now I'd wait until you're done with Act 2 and some bounties/Endless Paths floors, then go to the White March and take advantage of the optional level-scaling. Otherwise you'll end up getting a ton of XP and endgame-quality gear there and steamroll the base game stuff when you get back. I don't know what level you have to be to activate the level-scaling, I think maybe 10?

If you want to get to the expansion companions earlier, level 7 is doable, but you'll sometimes have situations where a party member eats several crits at the beginning of a fight and just goes down. So you might want to wait until level 8 and go there with fully enchanted armor.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Level 8 a decent compromise? I don't want to have to wait till endgame to get new companions.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Yeah, I'd just be selective about what to do before going there then.

For example, I think Cail the Silent is a fun fight and so are the first bounties, so I'd do them before heading to the White March. On the other hand, I personally didn't particularly mind completely trivializing Cliaban Rilag and the Skeleton/Dargul floors of the Endless Paths.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

The Sharmat posted:

Level 8 a decent compromise? I don't want to have to wait till endgame to get new companions.

6-7 on non POTD, 8 on POTD. If not concerned about the new companions then after Act 2 is best. I think if you can handle the lighthouse you're ready for the expansion.

Scorchy fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 18, 2015

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Basic Chunnel posted:

The IP was something else... ?
Yes. I just wanted to clarify that once our project with Microsoft ended, we didn't do anything else with it.

Sensuki posted:

Loading screens on release were also pretty long for Pillars as well particularly the later you got in the game.
Save games and load times are two areas that Adam and Roby are looking at a lot for the future. They already have a lot of good ideas for how to improve things.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I ended up having more trouble with the Skuldr King packs on PotD than the shades in the Temple. Guess it just comes from having already gotten used to dealing with them from one playthrough. Eldritch Aim+Merciless Gaze+Fan of flames just makes shades evaporate.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

It's giving me the shits that Binding Web still has -15 accuracy for no reason. I'd still never use it but how has no-one on the official boards reported something so obvious?

Also:

The intelligence bonus AoE on Holy Power doesn't work.
The second Ancient Spirits chanter talent's +0.4 regeneration is applied separately and gets rounded down to 0 in combat.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 18, 2015

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The reason it has low accuracy is because the affliction it causes makes subsequent pulses of the spell much more likely to succeed. If an attack of Binding Web Hits, the next attack will be against someone who has -2 to Dex and -20 to Reflex, so effectively -24 Reflexes, putting the net accuracy at +9. We could adjust it back up a bit, or we could have Binding Web target Fortitude instead of Reflex. That might seem a little strange, but it would solve that problem and it's not that odd considering one way out of A/D&D Web is just using Strength.

e: Binding Web is actually only -5 Accuracy unless I'm missing something. Either way, I'll just make all of the webs have standard Accuracy and switch them over to Fortitude.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 18, 2015

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
-5 is -15 compared to other spells I guess?

Also, when are you fixing the bug that makes companion pet slots unusable? Edér needs his own little buddy. I even have a spare piglet for him.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Companions aren't supposed to have pet slots. The pet has always been a main character-only slot.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

rope kid posted:

The reason it has low accuracy is because the affliction it causes makes subsequent pulses of the spell much more likely to succeed. If an attack of Binding Web Hits, the next attack will be against someone who has -2 to Dex and -20 to Reflex, so effectively -24 Reflexes, putting the net accuracy at +9. We could adjust it back up a bit, or we could have Binding Web target Fortitude instead of Reflex. That might seem a little strange, but it would solve that problem and it's not that odd considering one way out of A/D&D Web is just using Strength.

e: Binding Web is actually only -5 Accuracy unless I'm missing something. Either way, I'll just make all of the webs have standard Accuracy and switch them over to Fortitude.

Normal spells cast at +10, so -5 is -15 total.

Switching them to fortitude will kill Tanglefoot(and Binding Web if anyone ever actually cast it) on PotD. It's not like hobbled is a powerful effect.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 18, 2015

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

rope kid posted:

Companions aren't supposed to have pet slots. The pet has always been a main character-only slot.
I know. :( I just want all the cats to be out of the backpack at once so they can play together and help zombie cat reintegrate into society after returning from the grave.

Edit: Whose idea was zombie cat anyway? Finding it for the first time was one of my favorite moments of the game.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 18, 2015

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Switching them to fortitude will kill Tanglefoot(and Binding Web if anyone ever actually cast it) on PotD. It's not like hobbled is a powerful effect.
It's not particularly powerful on its own, but it does make targets vulnerable to subsequent Reflex-based attacks and valid targets for Sneak Attack.

The reason why we initially reduced the accuracy wasn't because of player use, but because spiders who cast webs were shutting down the party for entire fights really easily. Both internal testers and beta testers complained about it, so we lowered the accuracy for all web attacks.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

rope kid posted:

It's not particularly powerful on its own, but it does make targets vulnerable to subsequent Reflex-based attacks and valid targets for Sneak Attack.

The reason why we initially reduced the accuracy wasn't because of player use, but because spiders who cast webs were shutting down the party for entire fights really easily. Both internal testers and beta testers complained about it, so we lowered the accuracy for all web attacks.

The spider versions actually bind though. The player spells are just hobbled. If I'm using up a whole per rest spell just to give an accuracy boost to certain other spells I want it to definitely work.

Switching Tanglefoot and the already terrible Binding Web to fortitude is an enormous nerf.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 18, 2015

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

That's a fair point. The web and tangle effects are some of our oldest abilities. I'll take a look at them and see if there's a better way to handle them as a whole.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

Has priest withdraw been fixed yet? I haven't tried using it since the most recent patch but I remember the healing part didn't used to work. Every time my party members came out of the shield effect still at low endurance, a spider baby would hit them in the toe or something and they'd go down.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Switching ... Binding Web to fortitude is an enormous nerf.
Looking back through the various web attack prefabs, some inflict Stuck and some inflict Hobbled. One of the disadvantages to how the data was structured on PoE is that all spell/attack variants have their own prefabs, so it's easy to miss individual instances when making changes.

To distinguish Tanglefoot and Binding Web, I think leaving Tanglefoot as Hobbled/Reflex and switching Binding Web to Stuck/Fortitude, with both at standard spell accuracy (+10), would be better. Hobbled is not as powerful an effect, but if you hit with it against Reflex, you're more likely to keep the target Hobbled (Tanglefoot already had standard accuracy, and that doesn't seem to be a big issue). Stuck is much more powerful if melee opponents are involved, but attacking Fortitude means that hitting doesn't make subsequent attacks any more likely to keep them Stuck.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Arrinien posted:

Has priest withdraw been fixed yet? I haven't tried using it since the most recent patch but I remember the healing part didn't used to work. Every time my party members came out of the shield effect still at low endurance, a spider baby would hit them in the toe or something and they'd go down.

It worked for me the first time I played but in this playthrough the healing part isn't happening.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I've confirmed with QA that bug is in the queue.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

rope kid posted:

Better stat breakdowns coming:

Brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

BTW, there's a missing Weapon Specialization bonus in the damage breakdown, but Brian's fixed it since I took that screenshot. Also in the next patch, immunities and resistances will be displayed on critter tooltips.

• Locked thread