Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I'm really curious to know if they'll adapt the half celebrity half random people strategy that the Genius Korea always used. Because the UK is one of the only countries I can think of that does have a sort of similar celebrity culture. Stephen Fry, David Mitchell, Bill Bailey (basically, a bunch of the people who've appeared on QI) could all be good contestants.

But I'm also curious to see them go super literal and just cast a bunch of smart randoms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Random Stranger posted:

The lack of Extreme Ways is disappointing. :v:

The music turns into an Extreme Ways remix about halfway through :ssh:

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:

Shakugan posted:

Because the UK is one of the only countries I can think of that does have a sort of similar celebrity culture. Stephen Fry, David Mitchell, Bill Bailey (basically, a bunch of the people who've appeared on QI) could all be good contestants.

Stephen Fry, maybe, but I wouldn't cast in more than one or two comedians since our sense of humour is dry and sarcastic, and can come across as just being an rear end in a top hat. The S-Korean version works so well because very few people act like assholes. Even after betrayals, they still behave calmly.

It'd have to at least be clever UK people (such as, as you say Stephen Fry).

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Shakugan posted:

I'm really curious to know if they'll adapt the half celebrity half random people strategy that the Genius Korea always used. Because the UK is one of the only countries I can think of that does have a sort of similar celebrity culture. Stephen Fry, David Mitchell, Bill Bailey (basically, a bunch of the people who've appeared on QI) could all be good contestants.

But I'm also curious to see them go super literal and just cast a bunch of smart randoms.

You know who else would be good? David Attenborough, the Queen and the resurrected corpse of Sir Thomas More. I think those three are about as likely as your suggestions.

The UK does have a lot of public intellectuals, and other celebrities who might be an interesting fit, but I think if you're expecting them to get Stephen Fry you might be in for a disappointment.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Get Stephen Fry to watch the Korean original and the rest will all fall into place.

Also I really don't know how people don't think that Dohee's betrayal was the funniest thing ever.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

sharktamer posted:

Also I really don't know how people don't think that Dohee's betrayal was the funniest thing ever.
You. You are what's wrong with this world. :colbert:

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

Josh Lyman posted:

You. You are what's wrong with this world. :colbert:

The people who were rooting for Kyung-Hoon are what's wrong with the world.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Anaconda Rifle posted:

The people who were rooting for Kyung-Hoon are what's wrong with the world.

What the gently caress

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Now that The Genius is over forever this is the part where the thread starts to eat itself...

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Shakugan posted:

I think there is little chance they have half celebrities half normals, it'll be one or the other. They won't want to end up with "Hi I'm Victoria Coren off the telly and I'm competing for Great Ormand Street Hospital" alongside "Hi I'm Ian off of the public and I'm going to spend my winnings on holidays and some cocaine".

All the people you mention are smart because they have a lot of knowledge, I don't think any of them would be very good at it, similarly I don't think Jinho would be very good on QI. There's plenty of UK celebrities that would be good but most are BBC, Victoria Coren is a pro poker player, Dara O' Briain has a physics degree, one of Armstrong and Miller I forget which has a physics phd, Rachel Riley is like a sexy rainman, Brian Cox is an irl particle physicist, Marcus du Sautoy is an irl maths professor, Tim Key loves cheating and so on.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

Brian Blessed should feature, alongside Boris Johnson. Then throw in a bunch of people who have won game shows before, a few artists, and maybe a professor or two.

Manic X fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 16, 2015

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Manic X posted:

Stephen Fry, maybe, but I wouldn't cast in more than one or two comedians since our sense of humour is dry and sarcastic, and can come across as just being an rear end in a top hat. The S-Korean version works so well because very few people act like assholes. Even after betrayals, they still behave calmly.

It'd have to at least be clever UK people (such as, as you say Stephen Fry).

Or go a little international. Would be interesting to see how Weird Al played, for instance.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Alan Davies

E: otherwise, Karl Pilkington

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Undead Hippo posted:

You know who else would be good? David Attenborough, the Queen and the resurrected corpse of Sir Thomas More. I think those three are about as likely as your suggestions.

The UK does have a lot of public intellectuals, and other celebrities who might be an interesting fit, but I think if you're expecting them to get Stephen Fry you might be in for a disappointment.

The reason I mentioned the UK having a similar celebrity culture is that they have a bunch of celebrities who spend a lot of their time going on these panel shows. It's really not such an outlandish suggestion to say that the people who go on all these other shows might be willing to give the Genius UK a shot.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
For some reason, happy together kicked off Park Misun and Shin Bongsun and got Poong to replace them. It's so weird seeing him try to do variety.

sharktamer fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 16, 2015

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

No offense to you British folk but I've seen how you cast your *cough* celebrity *cough* reality shows and I'd prefer no show at all to be honest

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Saddest Rhino posted:

E: otherwise, Karl Pilkington

It's 'The Genius' remember, not 'Are you smarter than a 5th Grader'

Get Jimmy Carr to see if he really is a clever clogs.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

my personal fantasy is Karl Pilkington to be a Kingslayer like Kyunghoon

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
No thanks, I don't want our the genius to be 8 out of 10 cats does catchphrase (gently caress that show).

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you gotta be smart to play a convincing idiot

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
8 out of 10 cats does countdown is the poo poo and youre just boring

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

HiipFire posted:

8 out of 10 cats does countdown is the poo poo and youre just boring
That's mostly because of Rachel Riley though

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Original countdown is more watchable than watching these british comedy mill robotic fucks trying to be funny. Bleep bloop bleep bloop WREXHAM *audience laughs on cue*.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
i still enjoy it and theres nothing you can say to convince me otherwise

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Please cast all three Top Gear hosts, tia.

In all seriousness though, I can't believe this is really happening. It might not be confirmed, but it's certainly a substantial possibility.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

^Ha you can just imagine Richard Hammond sucking up to Clarkson and May through all of it, and then on episode 7, extreme ways plays and he has betrayed them as revenge for all the nasty things they did to him on Top Gear. Then, outraged, Clarkson punches a producer, and gets a new offensive-to-south korea license plate.

But that's just a theory.

Edit: This entirely sarcastic. I would never want these three fucktards near the Genius Game

Manic X fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Nov 18, 2015

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Yeah that would be great and it would be even better if instead of playing genius games they drove cars around and were just racist and bigoted enough that the general public still loved them.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
You people have very strong opinions on tv shows

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Nah not really I just wish Jeremy Clarkson was dead.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
uhh

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

:salt:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

sharktamer have you considered calming down about tv show personalities

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Calm down, it's a joke, just like on Top Gear when they do their jokes, which you like, don't you?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Does Jeremy Clarkson still have a career?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Propaganda Machine posted:

Does Jeremy Clarkson still have a career?
Yeah they're doing a new show for Amazon.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

sharktamer have you considered calming down about tv show personalities

haha no, I have burning fury for Jeremy Clarkson and burning love for Jang Dongmin.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does British law permit standing MPs to appear on a show like this? Cause I'd almost think somebody like Tom Watson would do well.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

my personal fantasy is Karl Pilkington to be a Kingslayer like Kyunghoon

I love me some Pilkington, and I would love to see this happen. Even if he goes out early, having someone like him on the show can only lead to a lot of memorable moments. Hopefully he lasts a few episodes, maybe even wins a deathmatch that has a bit more of a luck component, and then they hit a main match that's somehow similar to a game he likes to play all the time. I can't really hope for a Slumdog Millionaire scenario where he keeps running into games he coincidentally knows how to play, but it'd be nice to see him have his moment.

But yeah, the more I think about it the more I think he'd be perfect for it, even the Genius had some people on it with fairly poor credentials from time to time, at least compared to 150+ IQ, KAIST student, magic hands Dongmin, etc. He'd basically be the Hongchul of the show, only with less drunk driving and more being unintentionally funny. It's a new property/idea there too, they'll want to get some people who might draw in ratings just on name value alone.

And by god, if he lasts long enough to get to a "bring in a friend to help you in a game" episode and brings in Merchant or Gervais :allears:. That's just an American perspective though, maybe he's somehow been lame/bad on other shows I haven't caught since I'm not in the U.K., though I can't imagine how that's possible.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
I love the bald manc twat but he'd be loving useless at this even if the main game was guessing the answers to his own rockbusters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I'd like to see Penn Jilette on this show. He's brilliant but also a huge douche. I'd love to see how it pans out.