Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Norse Code posted:

Where is this available to watch?

No idea it was on dvd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Recently went through my usual round of serial drama re-watches: The Wire, Deadwood, Carnivale, The Sopranos, Sleeper Cell and a few others. Thinking of maybe doing BSG or Lost, haven't done either since they both ended.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Person of Interest S3: Carter no! :( Although it was good to finally see HR be put into the dirt once and for all.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

mobby_6kl posted:

Watching 12 Monkeys now. It got pretty good eventually, though it still has this B-feeling about it which I don't really mind, but there's still something keeping me from getting fully engaged in the show.

I don't remember all the details from the movie, but I thought here they said the plague kills within a couple of hours. Which would actually make it very slow to spread and easy to quarantine :v:

There's a lot different. Movie Cole was a lot more crazy and the future was more like a prison, also the Army of the 12 Monkeys were just animal rights activists. Since they show a potential alternate future in one episode I'm really hoping he accidentally makes a trip into the movie's version of the future just for the connection, even if it's brief. It'd be fun to see how he deals with it and it would be a fun homage. Quality wise, it does seem a bit low budget but it does a lot with what limited amount Syfy can pull off these days.

-Blackadder- posted:

Recently went through my usual round of serial drama re-watches: The Wire, Deadwood, Carnivale, The Sopranos, Sleeper Cell and a few others. Thinking of maybe doing BSG or Lost, haven't done either since they both ended.

If you do a BSG rewatch, I recommend tracking down all the extended episodes (mostly in seasons 3-4), and watch Razor after Season 2, episode 17 instead of between seasons 3 and 4 where it originally aired. Also watch the two webseries (not including Razor Flashbacks since those were in the extended version of Razor) even though the first one is mobile-quality only since that's back when everyone was doing "mobisodes".

If you do a Lost rewatch, I recommend checking out the chronological edit for a new way to watch it. It's weird seeing characters just introduced out of nowhere because they're skipping around, and then suddenly a lot of the earlier TV episodes make more sense in context.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

computer parts posted:

Person of Interest S3: Carter no! :( Although it was good to finally see HR be put into the dirt once and for all.

How rad is that followup ep though.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
Anyone watching Flesh and Bone? It's fantastic. It's a drama about a (messed up) balerina making it in New York. Almost every character is crazy (in an interesting way) and they get naked a lot.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Rapsey posted:

Anyone watching Flesh and Bone? It's fantastic. It's a drama about a (messed up) balerina making it in New York. Almost every character is crazy (in an interesting way) and they get naked a lot.

It's a bit too grim for binging, to balance out all the beautiful dancers and dancing they made everyone's lives totally messed up.
The only one who seems to be somewhat enjoying dancing is Daphne but I'm still early in the series. Weird so say this in a show about ballet but her strip club dance was the best dance scene.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

sticklefifer posted:

If you do a BSG rewatch, I recommend tracking down all the extended episodes (mostly in seasons 3-4), and watch Razor after Season 2, episode 17 instead of between seasons 3 and 4 where it originally aired. Also watch the two webseries (not including Razor Flashbacks since those were in the extended version of Razor) even though the first one is mobile-quality only since that's back when everyone was doing "mobisodes".

If you do a Lost rewatch, I recommend checking out the chronological edit for a new way to watch it. It's weird seeing characters just introduced out of nowhere because they're skipping around, and then suddenly a lot of the earlier TV episodes make more sense in context.

THanks for the ideas. I'm leaning towards BSG, also looking at Fargo S1, or maybe even Terriers. I feel like if I did Lost I'd want to skip a lot of the character centric flashbacks, which in hindsight I'm not sure how I felt about. The character stuff was good, don't get me wrong, but sometimes it tended to meander a bit.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Yeah, I just did a full BSG rewatch not too long ago and it really lends itself well to binge-watching. Both for the arching plot because the mythology follows a clearer structure (and you'll notice Head Six repeatedly and directly states exactly what she is), and for the ones that deal with troubles in the fleet like the union strike and the black market because they just seem like asides to show you what else is going on in the other ships, instead of anticipating for another week or two what's going to happen. I think the only part I really didn't like was when Baltar was chilling on the basestar in season 3. Those parts really drag, and they're shot to be deliberately disorienting. The Colonial Fleet parts of those episodes are still interesting though.

I'm just getting into Fargo now and I really enjoy it. There are some tenuous links to the film which is nice, but you're not required to know them. Billy Bob Thornton's character is such a weird force of nature.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Funny that you mention the black market episode, I was planning on skipping that and the murderous doctor episodes and a few of the other one off episodes that were irritating the first time around. When I first started doing binge rewatches of shows I would just sit through all the boring poo poo, nowadays I've been through stuff like the The Wire 3 or 4 times now, so I just skip all the annoying newspaper poo poo in season 5, that stuff drags so much for me I can't stand it, I just want to get to the good scenes like where McNulty get's profiled by the FBI and the stuff with the cops, criminals, or politicians. Same goes for skipping Kim and the cougar in S2 of 24.

You're in for a real treat with Fargo S1. It's absolutely fantastic television. You're really gonna be blown away by the end. It's probably one of the best seasons of television I've ever seen. Unfortunately I'm a few episodes into S2 and I'm not feeling it as much, but it may pick up later.

I was also toying with the idea of doing a rewatch of Breaking Bad or Spartacus too, but that feel good buzz from how good they were the first time around hasn't worn off yet so there's no reason to press it.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 16, 2015

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I'm in the last season of Prison Break now and its weird how off the wall it is. I actually liked it up until they became some kind of black ops commando group this season. Also is it just me or is Wentworth Miller an incredibly bad actor? I don't even normally notice stuff like that but he just seems to have the same demeanor and facial expressions no matter what is happening.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
He's passable. Dominic Purcell's the real weak link for actors on that show. But when you're acting against fantastic performances from William Fichtner and Robert Knepper, you're going to seem a little wooden no matter what.

Wentworth Miller also screenwrote Stoker, which is a pretty good movie (and really pretty thanks to Chan-wook Park).

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Also is it just me or is Wentworth Miller an incredibly bad actor? I don't even normally notice stuff like that but he just seems to have the same demeanor and facial expressions no matter what is happening.

Yea, he has a very limited range. I just watched shawshank redemption for the first time in ages and noticed how similar Tim Robbin's character sounded like him. I guess Scofield was a bit of an homage.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Prison Break is a guilty pleasure for me. I agree Wentworth Miller has limited range, but I like the one character that he does quite a bit, not to compare him to a greater actor, but it's kind of like De Niro, who does one character (threatening mob type guy) but does it really well.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Binging through Moonbeam City right now. It feels like Archer went through a time machine into the future of the 80s (not the 80s and not the future, the 80s future)

Rob Lowe and especially Elizabeth Banks are pretty great in it, although I feel like something about the editing or the delivery is a little stilted. Only a few episodes in though so they could find their stride. And even if its a little stilted its still super weird and creative and entertaining.

I'm a huge fan of RetroWave music and that 80's-future setting from Blood Dragon and Hotline Miami and old sci-fi, so its pretty dang cool.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I meant more of his mannerisms and facial expressions, for Wentworth Miller I mean. He only seems to have one facial expression and tone of voice, no matter what is happening around him. There seemed to be times where he was supposed to be upset or shaken up, but he just had the same facial expressions and mannerisms.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm going through the first season of Borgia: Faith and Fear. I haven't seen Borgias, but from what I've heard this show is less sensational and more historical. Looking up the background, they've very much tried to reconcile storytelling and history... then in Episode 7 they introduce this Assassin's Creed motherfucker. Kind of weird.

The show is still probably the best historical stuff I've ever seen, and certainly better than pseudo-history like GoT. It's never sensation for sensation's sake, and the power politics serves a larger story about religion and ideals. When it has something really shocking like death by sawing (:gonk:), it feels earned.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Check out Marco Polo and The Tudors if you haven't already. They both have their faults, especially The Tudors which a lot of people couldn't get into, but I liked them both. The Tudors eventually get's going and has a really cathartic ending.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I'm going through the first season of Borgia: Faith and Fear. I haven't seen Borgias, but from what I've heard this show is less sensational and more historical. Looking up the background, they've very much tried to reconcile storytelling and history... then in Episode 7 they introduce this Assassin's Creed motherfucker. Kind of weird.

The show is still probably the best historical stuff I've ever seen, and certainly better than pseudo-history like GoT. It's never sensation for sensation's sake, and the power politics serves a larger story about religion and ideals. When it has something really shocking like death by sawing (:gonk:), it feels earned.

I'm a big fan of both shows. They're a good contrast to each other, I think one has better actors but the other has better and more accurate writing. Also one focuses more on Cesare while the other focuses more on the Pope. (Though obviously they're both in both)

If you like those definitely watch HBO's Rome, as well as The Tudors. Its like exactly the same stuff.

-Blackadder- posted:

Check out Marco Polo and The Tudors if you haven't already. They both have their faults, especially The Tudors which a lot of people couldn't get into, but I liked them both. The Tudors eventually get's going and has a really cathartic ending.

Ah yes, and Marco Polo which was actually pretty good. Although its sad they had to sell audiences by calling it Marco Polo when really the story should be called Kublai Khan.

Its like Narcos being really about Pablo Escobar but calling it Narcos and casting a white dude protagonist. Oh well, they're both great shows. Thanks Netflix.

Looking forward to season 2 of Marco Polo for sure. Great set designs, and the characters got more interesting as the show developed.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The new girlfriend has been introduced to Banshee and Spartacus.

Utterly all in for Banshee, she's got a thing for naked chicks who are badass.

Couldn't possibly be more excited for Spartacus. Andy Whitfield just about has her frothing at the mouth, gonna leave the news till after season 1. :agesilaus:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

The new girlfriend has been introduced to Banshee and Spartacus.

Utterly all in for Banshee, she's got a thing for naked chicks who are badass.

Couldn't possibly be more excited for Spartacus. Andy Whitfield just about has her frothing at the mouth, gonna leave the news till after season 1. :agesilaus:

:ohdear:

At least if you watch the show the way it aired with the prequel season second it'll give her some time to absorb the sting :v:

Spartacus started out kinda dumb but by the end I loved it. Especially the final conflict with Crassus I felt was really well done, more interesting than just the "life as a gladiator" thing they had before.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's like Spanish fly... hahah. "Headache you say?... i have just the episode for that"

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I got my wife to start watching Heroes. Shes never seen it and I am looking forward to watch her really enjoy the first season and then watch it slowly spiral out of control.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

-Blackadder- posted:

You're in for a real treat with Fargo S1. It's absolutely fantastic television. You're really gonna be blown away by the end. It's probably one of the best seasons of television I've ever seen. Unfortunately I'm a few episodes into S2 and I'm not feeling it as much, but it may pick up later.

Finished it. I don't know how they managed to make Lorne Malvo so charismatic yet so absolutely terrifying at the same time. It's an incredible balance, and a great performance. Every time he shows up you know there's going to be death in his wake but he's strangely compelling and likable too.

I didn't expect to see Key & Peele, maybe one or the other, but having both as partners is such weird casting yet somehow appropriate for the oddball vibe of the show.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Nov 19, 2015

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Zaphod42 posted:

:ohdear:

At least if you watch the show the way it aired with the prequel season second it'll give her some time to absorb the sting :v:

Spartacus started out kinda dumb but by the end I loved it. Especially the final conflict with Crassus I felt was really well done, more interesting than just the "life as a gladiator" thing they had before.

I just rewatched the final season this week, and I've already seen the whole show two or three times. It really is a superb show (except for the first three or four episodes).

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Hey, richardfun, I still remember when we turned you onto it in the original Spartacus thread. Good times!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

richardfun posted:

I just rewatched the final season this week, and I've already seen the whole show two or three times. It really is a superb show (except for the first three or four episodes).

Yeah the first few episodes were pretty meh and I only kept watching for the gratuitous violence and boobies. They copied the 300 action style and it worked okay.
But by the time the slave revolt is actually going on they had developed their characters and it got way better.

Funny enough I actually really dislike the changing of actors for Naevia more than I mind changing Spartacus', even though he's the lead. The guy they got to take over Spartacus role is obviously a different person, but he's trying to play the character more or less the way the original actor did.

Meanwhile Naevia is like literally a completely different person. In fact it took me several episodes to even realize she was supposed to be Naevia, the same person as before. I guess they decided they wanted to turn her into the warrior-lady character since she fell for Cryxus, but it just comes across as such a huge loving turn it makes no sense. In the first season she's a timid slave who is warm and kind and loving wife to Oenimaous and lover/friend of Gannicus. They had a really cool relationship (love triangle lol).

But then the later seasons they ditch the actress and they completely ditch the character's personality. She's just ANGRY AT ROMANS now, that's her only character trait. She does a loving ton of ridiculously selfish and or stupid things, but because she's Cryxus girlfriend everybody lets her get away with it.

When she killed that friendly Roman blacksmith over a misunderstanding I just couldn't take it anymore. I can't believe Gannicus didn't loving kill her. Such bullshit. I know she was a slave and she hates the Romans, but the early character was so warm and loving even if she had revenge she wouldn't just turn into the later character. The later character had like zero emotion other than ME ANGRY AT ROMANS! KILL ROMANS GOOD!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

In the first season she's a timid slave who is warm and kind and loving wife to Oenimaous and lover/friend of Gannicus. They had a really cool relationship (love triangle lol).

Um... that wasn't Naevia. Those are two different characters.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Yeah oenomaus' wife was Melitta. Reminds me, they found some seriously hot actress for that show. Every season the slave girls were hotter than the last. I practically fell in real life love with Kore, those freakin doe eyes, man.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Um... that wasn't Naevia. Those are two different characters.

You're right, I mixed her up :doh:

She was in the first season though and was played by a completely different actress like I remembered.
But duh, she was Cryxus lover all along not the one involved with Gannicus and Oenomious. I dunno how I got that wrong >_<

Original

Warrior princess

Still she was like 24/7 supermad in the later seasons but kinda timid in the early season. Her character should grow, that's fine, but it just seemed to happen instantaneously which doesn't work as well.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
She spent several months in the mines, and it's directly stated they did nasty poo poo to her, so the change isn't out of nowhere.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Spartacus also went through some poo poo but he wasn't annoying as gently caress

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The Mines are supposed to be hell in earth kind of nasty, so yeah.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

-Blackadder- posted:

:frogout:

season 2 is loving fantastic

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
three episodes into 12 Monkeys and it's still meh

stick or ditch?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Fargo S2 doesn't really feel like an homage to the Fargo movie whatsoever like how season 1 was. Not many references that I can recall either. It's just a well done crime/drama so far and I'm enjoying it. But it didn't need to be called Fargo either.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Wafflecopper posted:

:frogout:

season 2 is loving fantastic
Haha, actually, I just marathoned eps 3-6 and now I'm feeling it a lot more. I still don't feel it has as many stand out performances like Billy Bob Thorton (with the possible exception of Bokeem Woodbine obviously, I hope he sticks around), but I'm liking it a ton more now that I've gotten into it.

bowmore posted:

three episodes into 12 Monkeys and it's still meh

stick or ditch?

It's an OK show, but it doesn't really get any better. It was a pretty mediocre watch all told in my opinion. Unless you're like me and have watch literally every decent drama in existence there are probably better uses of your time. Go watch anything that's been mentioned recently if you haven't already; Marco Polo, Narcs, etc. I recently caught up with The Last Kingdom, which initially flew under my radar, and is great if you liked Vikings. And of course get ready for full seasons of Jessica Jones and Man in a High Castle to drop at 12am PST tonight.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Mu Zeta posted:

Fargo S2 doesn't really feel like an homage to the Fargo movie whatsoever like how season 1 was. Not many references that I can recall either. It's just a well done crime/drama so far and I'm enjoying it. But it didn't need to be called Fargo either.

Fargo S1 outside of the Pilot wasn't really that either, it was more a collage of all the stuff the Coens love to use in their movies. In that respect S2 is entirely in keeping with S1.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Zaggitz posted:

Fargo S1 outside of the Pilot wasn't really that either, it was more a collage of all the stuff the Coens love to use in their movies. In that respect S2 is entirely in keeping with S1.

If you entirely ignore the plot with the money case directly continuing from the movie and the season ending with a pregnant cop, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Well Molly is in both seasons so there's at least the one character in common. S2 is basically Molly Solverson: Origin Story.