Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

The way I play it, it's a bit more like Hitman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A friend asked me what CK2 was and I told them it was a Princess Breeding Game, or medieval eugenics.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

A friend asked me what CK2 was and I told them it was a Princess Breeding Game, or medieval eugenics.

Princess Maker 2 was the pinnacle of medieval politics sims. Get on it, Paradox.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Demiurge4 posted:

Princess Maker 2 was the pinnacle of medieval politics sims. Get on it, Paradox.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=511390130

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Of course that is a thing.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah I get you. I don't mind specialization but absolute percentage bonuses to an entire planets tiles builds into overspecialization because if every tile gets 20% (with a lab) and every lab gives adjacent ones even more tech, there's very little reason to build anything else. It also skews balance because one civ might find a ridiculous science planet and while the AI might develop it in a balanced way the player can overspecialize it and leap light years ahead in tech in just 20 turns. I do want production planets that have super productive factories but I want to decide whether building another factory in this tile is better than another city or lab because it'll give a significant boost to the planet.

I think you're assuming that stuff like Labs give you a flat increase to research, which might not be the case. Because yeah if labs are just +5 Research then it's how you say. But if they're just +50% to Tile, then it doesn't really benefit you to build a lab on a tile that doesn't have any Research already except for an adjacency bonus. So there's no point in filling up a planet with Labs just because the planet gets a +% bonus to Research, because most of those tiles couldn't generate research anyway.

I would also assume research will be Time Ahead capped like EU4 or CK2, you've got to pay dramatically more if you're starting to get well ahead of the curve. They've talked about having anti-snowball mechanics like this so I would be very surprised if research didn't work something like this.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Fintilgin posted:

It really depends on how its executed in game. If it's like MOO2, where every turn is a dozen planets demanding you update their build queue, that would be bad. If it's like EUIV, where you've five hundred provinces with ~5 building slots apiece, but you're really just going in and enhancing certain places when you've got the extra resources, that's probably fine.

This absolutely. It's the main reason I prefer MoO over its sequel and why I'm not a fan of GalCiv. I trust Paradox to handle it well, but I'm nervous about any similar mechanic.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I think you're assuming that stuff like Labs give you a flat increase to research, which might not be the case. Because yeah if labs are just +5 Research then it's how you say. But if they're just +50% to Tile, then it doesn't really benefit you to build a lab on a tile that doesn't have any Research already except for an adjacency bonus. So there's no point in filling up a planet with Labs just because the planet gets a +% bonus to Research, because most of those tiles couldn't generate research anyway.

I would also assume research will be Time Ahead capped like EU4 or CK2, you've got to pay dramatically more if you're starting to get well ahead of the curve. They've talked about having anti-snowball mechanics like this so I would be very surprised if research didn't work something like this.

Yeah it's really hard to make hard judgements off a screenshot but I assume the city (is it a city?) gives +1 mineral and maybe +2 food for the tile, bringing it to 2m, 3f. Then each adjacent farm gives it +2f each giving it 7 food. The other tiles probably don't have any base production so I assume the farm is +3f and the adjacency another +2f to give them the total of 5. If I'm right this would mean numerical production outputs for a building and not a percentage bonus. If you cleared the tile to the left of the city and build a lab that gives +3 science that would bring the tile to 7 with the adjacency bonus and another +1.85 (maybe rounded to 2) from the global bonus to society tech but I assume that is added to the total output of the planet and not per tile.

Chaining labs all around would therefore give you 3 to 11 science per tile, of course not accounting for mandatory farms for food. The 25% bonus to tech objectively becomes more powerful the more science you produce on the planet, which encourages overspecialization.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Westminster System posted:

I had fun with Stardrive 2 - people are extremely salty over the fact that Stardrive 1 was never "finished" (Part developer fault, part random factors, part game engine being discontinued during development) - though its still a reasonably decent game let down by engine limitations. Mileage varies on the bias of other reviews as well.
Well to be fair, Stardrive 1 was a dumpsterfire from the get-go and the developer flipped his lid when people pointed out valid criticisms, then all of a sudden Stardrive 2 was announced with (at the time) no explanation.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Demiurge4 posted:

Chaining labs all around would therefore give you 3 to 11 science per tile, of course not accounting for mandatory farms for food. The 25% bonus to tech objectively becomes more powerful the more science you produce on the planet, which encourages overspecialization.

Yeah, if it's a flat bonus then definitely. Farms would make sense to be a flat + bonus to production, which is fine because Food is not an exportable resource and required for the planet to develop at all. But maybe the other ones aren't? Minerals wouldn't make sense to be a flat bonus, if you build a mine where there isn't any resources there doesn't magically become some. You could run with the same concept for Research (studying weird things found at the tile) and Power (represents having natural resources specific to generating power on those tiles). I dunno, guess we'll see.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
hi i would like to say i think stellaris looks cool.

that is all.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
To continue the tilerant, I have no real gameplay objection beyond planets not actually being a square or a rectangle, and representing them as though they are looks silly. I always liked Ascendancy's system of isometric tiles, which while a micromanagement pain in the end game always had the decency to look like you were doing something to an actual planet.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I have no strong feelings one way or the other about Stellaris

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Wiz generally has Cool Opinions. If he says the system works fine I'll trust that it's not an issue

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah, if it's a flat bonus then definitely. Farms would make sense to be a flat + bonus to production, which is fine because Food is not an exportable resource and required for the planet to develop at all. But maybe the other ones aren't? Minerals wouldn't make sense to be a flat bonus, if you build a mine where there isn't any resources there doesn't magically become some. You could run with the same concept for Research (studying weird things found at the tile) and Power (represents having natural resources specific to generating power on those tiles). I dunno, guess we'll see.
Given the abstraction needed in everything being energy credits or minerals, I don't see why refineries wouldn't fit as an improvement, abstracting being able to make more useful stuff out of what would be detritus if the refinery didn't exist. Given that synergies at least exist, you'd expect some sort of "helper" improvement like that to stick next to mines. That'd actually be one way to not involve total planet agnostic specialty carpeting if certain raw materials begged for a mix of supply chain type buildings, but doesn't really help my gripe with once you figure out the right supply chain synergy for a given raw material occurrence, why you wouldn't need to clone stamp or hit the automate feature.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

It's killing me that we don't have more information because you make a great point in that regard. Food isn't exportable so it does make sense it's flat bonuses. Other resources are more powerful and could conceivably be static and only improvable on that tile alone but we don't know without more information. Maybe a Paradox dev can do a driveby and answer that question.

It's still also unanswered if planet tiles actually stay in the game when you graduate. Paradox have been vague on that point but I suspect that planet tiles may just be a temporary mini-game to give the player something to do in the early game until he becomes an empire and you start juggling systems instead of planets.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Westminster System posted:

I had fun with Stardrive 2 - people are extremely salty over the fact that Stardrive 1 was never "finished" (Part developer fault, part random factors, part game engine being discontinued during development) - though its still a reasonably decent game let down by engine limitations. Mileage varies on the bias of other reviews as well.

The Developer has a tendency to tell you about stuff he ends up being unable to do, which is basically "muh promises" and anathema to the gaming community these days. His own fault though.

The 3ma crew reckoned the sequel stripped out everything interesting about the original and ended up being a much more conservative MoO-like. Confirm/deny?

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I can't agree entirely with the former, but MoO-Like is used for literally any turn based strategy set in space these days so whether that matters is another.

That said I haven't played it in a good while so who knows.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Autonomous Monster posted:

The 3ma crew reckoned the sequel stripped out everything interesting about the original and ended up being a much more conservative MoO-like. Confirm/deny?

Pretty much. SD2 is basically a remake of MoO2.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
It's interesting that for all that MoO1/2 are held up as the gold standard of space 4xes that everyone should copy, I don't remember many games if any at all that tried to replicate their tech system with the hard choices that came along with them.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

Pretty much. SD2 is basically a remake of MoO2.

I saw they announced new dlc for the game which implements sectors and makes the galaxy 4 times larger. That's... Basically the graduation mechanic where you move up to managing an empire rather than planets.

For all the poo poo I give the SD2 dev he did make a pretty decent game that is very faithful to Moo2.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Had not seen that, sounds interesting. But the SD galaxy is only 100 stars, making it 4 times larger is still on the small side for a 4x.

Tomn posted:

It's interesting that for all that MoO1/2 are held up as the gold standard of space 4xes that everyone should copy, I don't remember many games if any at all that tried to replicate their tech system with the hard choices that came along with them.

SD2 has the same system, as does the upcoming Lord of Rigel. I almost always played Creative races in Mo0 though, gotta have all the tech!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Creative was broken as gently caress and a Bad mechanic :colbert:

I'll admit that the other OP strategy of stacking pop growth with food and subterranean was a lot of tedious micro though and creative was more appealing if you just wanted to gently caress around.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah it's really hard to make hard judgements off a screenshot but I assume the city (is it a city?) gives +1 mineral and maybe +2 food for the tile, bringing it to 2m, 3f. Then each adjacent farm gives it +2f each giving it 7 food. The other tiles probably don't have any base production so I assume the farm is +3f and the adjacency another +2f to give them the total of 5. If I'm right this would mean numerical production outputs for a building and not a percentage bonus. If you cleared the tile to the left of the city and build a lab that gives +3 science that would bring the tile to 7 with the adjacency bonus and another +1.85 (maybe rounded to 2) from the global bonus to society tech but I assume that is added to the total output of the planet and not per tile.

Pretty much any system kinda based on that civ-ish model is going to encourage specialization- I don't think it needs further encouragement. Civ4 encouraged specialized cities, but not as blatantly as GalCiv3. Basically, it was sub-optimal to build all the buildings in all the cities, wasting your hammers, but it was more of a gentle nudge to specialization, not "scout ships with 20+ tile sight ranges and planets that are nothing but a farm and 20 factories". The slider system contributed to GalCiv3's tendency toward overspecialization since you got nowhere near as much benefit from all these buildings if you weren't maxing out one thing.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Tomn posted:

It really depends on what kind of player you are. The developers are huge fans of statistics, to the point where I think they rely on statistics to carry the narrative of the game, as it were - there's a lot of emergent narratives that come out of the gameplay, but you can only tell that it's there if you learn how to parse the absolute shitload of numbers they throw at you from every angle. Without that knowledge (or the patience to gain that knowledge) the game's a giant, overwhelming infodump that doesn't feel much like anything at all. I wasn't a fan myself, but if you're into that it could scratch your itch.

Edit: Thinking out loud here, but it occurs to me that there's not really a lot of space 4Xs that focus on making you feel like you're guiding an actual empire of people instead of pushing blocks and numbers around in space, mostly for the sake of warfare. The focus is usually on the cool starships and the fancy lasers, with everything else there largely to research, design, and build said spaceships before sending them off to explode prettily. One reason why Stellaris has me quietly hopeful - the addition of Pops and virtues could go a ways towards making empire feel less like intergalactic starship factories.

I think that is an issue many space 4Xs have, and why I've never manage to have on click for me like CK2 or EU4. While in EU4 I can think about my nation as a entity wanting to increase its power, and see how that achieved, in many space games I don't see a need to expand, especially when the galaxy is small enough only 4 or 5 nations exist. Start ruler helped a bit - I went to war with other nations so I could get the planets to get the resources to upgrade my planets, but I disliked the warfighting mechanics enough the game didn't really grab me. As others said, I hope to see more of a focus on the nation itself and development of my people, to give me reasons to crush my neighbours if I want.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Tomn posted:

MOO1's tech system was semi-randomised, it worked completely differently than MOO2's.

I'm not so sure MOO2 encouraged all that many hard choices either. Most people seemed to take the same path through the tree every time.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 18, 2015

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

tooterfish posted:

MOO1's tech system was semi-randomised, it worked completely differently than MOO2's.

I'm not so sure MOO2 encouraged all that many hard choices either. Most people seemed to take the same path through the tree every time.

One time I took Power Armor instead of automated factories by accident and won the game by boarding (neither of us used shields).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I loved both moo and moo2 and no one, not a single "clone" has actually captured any of the best mechanics.

What I loved about the original Master of Orion is that it was simple but had depth. I really liked the industrial system. A planet has population and an industry score. Each base unit of population gave some tiny amount of production, plus each unit of population is able to staff a certain number of factories. Factories give a large amount of production. As you go up in computer technology you get better and better robotics, allowing you to build more factories per population. As you go up in construction tech it makes your factories cheaper to build, allowing you to grow quicker. There is also a pollution mechanic which makes increased production have diminishing returns due to more and more production needing to be put towards keeping the planet clean and livable, and of course then technologies that reduce pollution in some way.

So as you go through the game your empire slowly gets more productive, not in huge leaps but fairly gradually as you go from robotics II to robotic III or what ever. None of it requires your intervention. Planets automatically direct most of their production towards building more factories until they hit a cap, and when a new tech comes along they automatically build to that new cap. When you get better pollution tech your planets automatically build it and then reduce their pollution budgets. The interface and automation isn't perfect but it some how managed to be better than nearly every game that followed. No micro-managing tiles or buildings, no worrying about optimizing or specializing. That mineral ultra rich planet you probably want to "specialize" for industry but it's simply a matter of pulling that production slider up to maximum. That mineral poor artifact planet? Drag it's research to maximum. Done. No pre-planning, no building placement mini-game.

I think the ideal planet management system would be something like this, just a few stats, and maybe the ability to build the odd specialty building here or there but never at moo2 or civ levels of buildings. Keep it simple and abstracted, no building placement mini-game, but provide a rich amount of interesting statistics showing the mechanics behind each planet.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Stellaris with Victoria 2 style factory slots for each planet :getin:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Alchenar posted:

Have you considered we're all grieving for the HOI4 beta?

Speaking of, I didn't get in despite having something like three years of legit professional QA experience (I listed my experience ofc), what's their selection criteria?

Disclaimer: Slightly salty.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Baronjutter posted:

I loved both moo and moo2 and no one, not a single "clone" has actually captured any of the best mechanics.

What I loved about the original Master of Orion is that it was simple but had depth. I really liked the industrial system. A planet has population and an industry score. Each base unit of population gave some tiny amount of production, plus each unit of population is able to staff a certain number of factories. Factories give a large amount of production. As you go up in computer technology you get better and better robotics, allowing you to build more factories per population. As you go up in construction tech it makes your factories cheaper to build, allowing you to grow quicker. There is also a pollution mechanic which makes increased production have diminishing returns due to more and more production needing to be put towards keeping the planet clean and livable, and of course then technologies that reduce pollution in some way.

So as you go through the game your empire slowly gets more productive, not in huge leaps but fairly gradually as you go from robotics II to robotic III or what ever. None of it requires your intervention. Planets automatically direct most of their production towards building more factories until they hit a cap, and when a new tech comes along they automatically build to that new cap. When you get better pollution tech your planets automatically build it and then reduce their pollution budgets. The interface and automation isn't perfect but it some how managed to be better than nearly every game that followed. No micro-managing tiles or buildings, no worrying about optimizing or specializing. That mineral ultra rich planet you probably want to "specialize" for industry but it's simply a matter of pulling that production slider up to maximum. That mineral poor artifact planet? Drag it's research to maximum. Done. No pre-planning, no building placement mini-game.

I think the ideal planet management system would be something like this, just a few stats, and maybe the ability to build the odd specialty building here or there but never at moo2 or civ levels of buildings. Keep it simple and abstracted, no building placement mini-game, but provide a rich amount of interesting statistics showing the mechanics behind each planet.

That obviously worked, but it sounds kinda dull when you're at the one or two planets stage. If Paradox can deliver, then an indepth managing of buildings and optimisation for your first half-dozen planets might be pretty cool. And then when you have more than that you switch to more of a MOO1 system.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Maybe I'm just not thinking about it right, but planetary management being disabled as you get larger sounds like it'll bother the hell out of me. Even when automation in games is practical and makes a lot of sense it still always feels like "well the AI doesn't know how to manage the planets as well as me, why should I hand over control". Especially if a big part of the early game is having nicely optimized planets, and suddenly when you get bigger you find their efficiency hits the toilet. It'll just seem really jarring.

What other games have done automation like that that people can point to? I can't think of any and maybe in practice I'm wrong and it feels really different.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Speaking of, I didn't get in despite having something like three years of legit professional QA experience (I listed my experience ofc), what's their selection criteria?

Disclaimer: Slightly salty.

lol

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
nvm

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 18, 2015

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

I'm sad because I know I would do a good job. :(

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Koramei posted:

What other games have done automation like that that people can point to? I can't think of any and maybe in practice I'm wrong and it feels really different.

lol

I think the one game that does automation well is... CK2 --- since it basically replaces manages something with interacting with a character.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Koramei posted:

Maybe I'm just not thinking about it right, but planetary management being disabled as you get larger sounds like it'll bother the hell out of me. Even when automation in games is practical and makes a lot of sense it still always feels like "well the AI doesn't know how to manage the planets as well as me, why should I hand over control". Especially if a big part of the early game is having nicely optimized planets, and suddenly when you get bigger you find their efficiency hits the toilet. It'll just seem really jarring.

I wouldn't have a problem with it. The old system of managing individual planets would be gone - it wouldn't be like the option to hand over planets to governors that other games have, where they make the same decisions you would make but pick bad options, it'd be more like ten of your Europa 4 provinces merged into one when you got big enough. You wouldn't be concerned with what's going on in Brittany any more - your decisions only affect France. You literally wouldn't see the interface for a single planet any more, and it would just be up to Paradox to make sure the sector produced at the same rate as a reasonably-managed set of ten planets. They could even put in a system where converting ten planets into a sector means you get greater production than the ten individual planets could produce on their own when managed perfectly, to represent economies of scale and ensure that nobody feels like they should avoid making sectors.

I have no idea if Stellaris is going to use a system like this, but who knows, maybe it would work.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
MOO 3 was originally supposed to be all top-down, heavy automation, grandest of the grand strategy level stuff being the only thing under the player's control. Then they scrapped every system and had to hurriedly redesign it from the ground up because the feedback was apparently so bad and the rest is history.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

On the other hand, even Paradox games - which are generally better than most at including systems to make managing a large empire manageable - get to the point in the late game where you can't be bothered finishing them since it's a bit of a slog managing all these separate provinces effectively and the game's a foregone conclusion.

MOO3's approach was to keep all those provinces separate and give you AIs to manage them. This was bad.

With merging planets into systems into sectors you could keep the "province" count low, and bypass the need for AI governors as a result. Imagine a game of Europa where you're Russia and you control all of Asia, but it's still just ten provinces you need to manage. And then the warp demons come.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Gort posted:

MOO3's approach was to keep all those provinces separate and give you AIs to manage them. This was bad.

It sounded rather Crusader Kingsish actually since the little AIs were actually characters in the game with skills and personalities that you appointed and interacted with, IIRC. At least that was the original idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Koramei posted:

Agreed. I have played a lot of space 4x style games and the answer is none.