Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Suffice it to say, Pokemon Red/Blue was a real clusterfuck of kind of fascinating and seemingly improvisational programming. Every wild Pokemon had the same basic data structure, of course, consisting of front/back sprite, default moves, and some info about what the stats per level should look like, as well as probably IV ranges. When the game had you encounter a pokemon, it would pick a number from a table based on your location, and use that to spool to what, based on the nature of the MissingNo glitches, was likely a fixed point along the equivalent of a long "tape" of all 151 pokemon in one single data matrix, which explains why it's so dang easy to get a buffer overflow in there. I'm not sure how much of that can be chalked up to the code itself, because really on an assembly level that's how all data is stored, and how much can be chalked up to a lack of overflow protections in the Gameboy's execution environment. It's possible that, to save precious bytes of data, they chose not to waste lines of assembly code on checks to prevent things like "Pokemon Number requested" from exceeding a range of 1-151.

Anyway, it's amusing as hell that they're re-releasing those games on Virtual Console, and I encourage everybody to try this at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

deadly_pudding posted:

Anyway, it's amusing as hell that they're re-releasing those games on Virtual Console, and I encourage everybody to try this at home.

With my WiiU Gameshark.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

Go get Human Resources Machine and you too can shave off seemingly-essential error checking procedures in order to fit your code within arbitrary par time boundaries.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Faux Mulder posted:

With my WiiU Gameshark.

I thought it was 3DS? Anyway there's no shortage of ways to break Pokemon Red & Blue.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Im just gonna abuse infinite items with missingno and call it a day

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wonder if the trade duping glitch will still work.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

mabels big day posted:

Im just gonna abuse infinite items with missingno and call it a day

In Training posted:

I wonder if the trade duping glitch will still work.

Watch Nintendo somehow scan for that poo poo and Brick 3DSs for doing it.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Anora posted:

Watch Nintendo somehow scan for that poo poo and Brick 3DSs for doing it.

Bill did say in the Direct that they were trying to perfectly recreate the old games as everyone remembers them.
Removing the glitches seems counter-intuitive to that goal.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

SilverSupernova posted:

Bill did say in the Direct that they were trying to perfectly recreate the old games as everyone remembers them.

Considering Nintendo has done things like keep speedrunning glitches in the 3DS version of Ocarina, I would be kinda suprised if they took the glitches out of Pokemon. I don't know anything about programming but it seems like it'd be more work to fix these games rather than just put 'em up as is.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

They couldn't fix the original games even if they wanted to.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.

mabels big day posted:

They couldn't fix the original games even if they wanted to.
Sure, they can did! Far fewer glitches/bugs and updated graphics/audio. =)
Also, Pokémon caught/bred/traded in FR/LG can actually be transferred up to current gen games without the need for any hacks or workarounds.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

MisterAlex posted:

Sure, they can did! Far fewer glitches/bugs and updated graphics/audio. =)
Also, Pokémon caught/bred/traded in FR/LG can actually be transferred up to current gen games without the need for any hacks or workarounds.

Is this a joke.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

MisterAlex posted:

Far fewer glitches/bugs and updated graphics/audio. =)

The music was horrible in those remixes.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Fire Red/Leaf Green were kinda awful, soulless husks of games. Much like the games they were based on.

It's amazing to think about how far the series has come since the original games...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

SilverSupernova posted:

Don't some of the glitches irrevocably gently caress your save up though? I don't think Nintendo is going to want to leave those in if at all possible.

deadly_pudding posted:

It's possible that, to save precious bytes of data, they chose not to waste lines of assembly code on checks to prevent things like "Pokemon Number requested" from exceeding a range of 1-151.

This is exactly why.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

They're going to put a Game Boy ROM into a Game Boy emulator and make no changes, as with every other VC game.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

homeless snail posted:

They're going to put a Game Boy ROM into a Game Boy emulator and make no changes, as with every other VC game.

They've had a history of making small edits to virtual console releases.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I just saw they are going to charge $10 each for Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow on 3ds vs. That's ridiculous.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Wait, just for clarity, they did say these were VC releases, right? I just realized that if they enabled save states, then it'd be super easy to duplicate Pokemon. I suppose if they modified the emulator to allow link cable stuff, they could modify it to disable save states too.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

what would you want with duplicated pokemon on a 40-year-old rom installed on your lame duck console though

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Spacebump posted:

I just saw they are going to charge $10 each for Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow on 3ds vs. That's ridiculous.

To be fair they did fix the game to work without a link cables. Some think that might have take a lot of effort to program and isn't in any other GB VC.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

maybe its on 3ds and not wii u whatev

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

epitasis posted:

what would you want with duplicated pokemon on a 40-year-old rom installed on your lame duck console though

6 Mewtwos. Are you new to this or something.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
is Jivjov the "uncle who works at Nintendo" that everyone knew from childhood?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I wonder if today kids talk about their uncle at activision or whatever

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014
Honestly? Probably an Uncle at Mojang.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fremry posted:

Thanks...I think??

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

death to nintendo uncle references

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

In Training posted:

6 Mewtwos. Are you new to this or something.

Dumb. My party is Articuno, Mewtwo, Mew, Zapdos, Moltres, and Dragonite and it can't be beat

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Always the Uncle never the Aunt.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cause aunts can keep a fuckin secret

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Jarogue posted:

Always the Uncle never the Aunt.

Boyz rule and girls drool.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

My aunt is a amiibo.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.

Fremry posted:

I actually do have an aunt who has worked for Nintendo (in Germany) since I can remember. Used to send me stickers and stuff when I was little. :v:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Spacebump posted:

My bad. I shouldn't have said I would pay upwards of 50 bucks for them in the several club nintendo surveys that I asked for RBY on the 3ds. :sweatdrop:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They should have gone the whole way and given the rest of the world the physical package like they're doing in Japan... people might alk at $10 for a code but they won't think twice about $15 for a code and a fridge magnet that looks like a GB cart.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They should have gone the whole way and given the rest of the world the physical package like they're doing in Japan... people might alk at $10 for a code but they won't think twice about $15 for a code and a fridge magnet that looks like a GB cart.

I'm totally gonna import at least one of the Japanese ones, just for the box.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Of course you are, jivjov.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Saoshyant posted:

Of course you are, jivjov.

I'm not gonna get all 4 and build a display unit for them or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Dementium Remastered is finally done and will be released on the NA 3DS eShop on December 3 for $14.99; changes from the original include manual saves instead of checkpoints, no more respawning enemies, new difficulty settings, different control configs with support for the c-stick/Circle Pad Pro, plus redone graphics/audio and the like (and 60FPS 3D).