Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bat Ham posted:

When the game finally launches,
:roflolmao:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

peter gabriel posted:

Maybe instead of taking 4 hours to do that they should concentrate on finishing the game?

That's kinda the point of builds. To get the release out and test fixes.

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

Goredema posted:

Hong Kong Godfather

Also, congratulations, Bootcha.

Hell with all this CIG talk. We need to focus a little more on what looks like a fantastic piece of cinema.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

starkebn posted:

Japanese mayo is superior-est

I read they fold the eggs over 1000 times.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

I know you're pissed dude but that might not be true.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Congrats on Bootcha and all of the barbecue he can do with his megarefund.

Shame the NDA's still up.

Bat Ham posted:

So I've been following the SC drama over the last month or so out of the same morbid love of insanity as the rest of you, but there's something I still don't get, especially now that CIG are outright calling the ship purchases 'sales' and not 'pledge rewards' anymore.

When the game finally launches, I assume it will function like any other game ever and people who just buy the thing and play it will be able to gain (in-game) the same ships that they're selling for stupid amounts of money right now, right? I mean the big ships could take ages to grind up to, and it wouldn't surprise me if there were a few variants that were left backer-exclusive, but they'll largely still be there, right?

Is that the case? Or are people still going to have to buy the ships with real money, either through DLC or by going the old MMO route and making them so ludicrously expensive in-game that people just wind up paying for 'credits' to get the good ships if they don't want to grind for 3 years?

I know that there's a few whales who don't care either way and are just outright funding it because they have nothing left in their own lives and are stuck in a sunk-cost fallacy. But for the rest of the people who are still backing it (for a few hundred dollars, say), are they buying the ships just to skip a few days of grind?

But if the ships are going to be paywalled in some way then wow, that will go down with the wider world as the biggest dick move in game publishing history. I don't know which is worse.

People have noticed this from day one but by now it's entirely academic.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

You're Gonna Go Far, Chris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_LxyhCJpsM

Now dance fucker, dance

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

AP posted:

I know you're pissed dude but that might not be true.

scamming 2.3 million? a piker!

:smuggo:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Loiosh posted:

Sounds like smoke and mirrors to me

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

Sounds like smoke and mirrors to me

Cryengine does not support mirrors yet, will be available in two weeks

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Truga posted:

Cryengine does not support mirrors yet, will be available in two weeks

what about smoke?

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005

Nation posted:

Greetings condiment fans,

I would like to introduce to you some god-tier mayo

ta daa!

seriously try this poo poo

Sorry, it's garbage. I lived there for nearly a decade and they do have tons of amazing food stuffs but that's just not one of them.

But then again, I'm picky as gently caress about mayo

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Omi-Polari posted:

2.0 coming Thursday according to channer who claims to work for CIG Austin:

:munch:

seriously....

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Does Star Citizen even have a facebook page?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

Maybe instead of taking 4 hours to do that they should concentrate on finishing the game?

Faster builds do increase productivity. Especially getting the build to testing / finding bugs.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

AP posted:

Does Star Citizen even have a facebook page?
Yes but Sandi wants the eyeballs for herself so she dumps most of their 'best' stuff there...

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

what about smoke?

There's so much smoke I can't even see a game around here.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

no_recall posted:

Faster builds do increase productivity. Especially getting the build to testing / finding bugs.

I am sceptical, I find bugs and I do not take 4 hours

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Truga posted:

There's so much smoke I can't even see a game around here.

WHO SAID THAT

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

I am sceptical, I find bugs and I do not take 4 hours

Touché

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Loiosh posted:

The builds don't take 24 hours. They're down to 4 now, I think? I forgot the last update, but it's significantly down. The release builds are even smaller, thanks to Excalibur.

Oh yeah Excalibur, the build system that forgets to include major assets and can't shart out a production build that deploys.

Loiosh posted:

Builds taking 4 hours is so 1994 CIG

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

communication is key

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/torquing/zano-autonomous-intelligent-swarming-nano-drone/comments

Kickstarter comments read about as how you'd expect.

quote:

How could this project become such a big failure? I think that Paul Mungo explained it well, 3 hours ago in his comment here: "The promo video for the campaign suggested that there was a working prototype, and I imagine many people backed the project on the strength of that video."

AP fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 19, 2015

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

G0RF posted:

Yes but Sandi wants the eyeballs for herself so she dumps most of their 'best' stuff there...

haha I never caught this. Wow.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Toops posted:

Oh yeah Excalibur, the build system that forgets to include major assets and can't shart out a production build that deploys.

Going from CIG to Epic is quite the upgrade if they guy is as bad as you say he is then I can't imagine him lasting long there. Unreal 4 is actually good.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

what about smoke?

Chris says the time for dreams is now!

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Kakarot posted:

seriously....

Would be fascinating if it happened (I totally do not expect it), but based on their quietness on the subject I don't see how it could happen. It hasn't even hit the PTU.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Toops posted:

I'm honestly curious if you've ever worked in game development. Just as an example to open a SINGLE level in Destiny takes over 8 hours: http://kotaku.com/the-messy-true-story-behind-the-making-of-destiny-1737556731

A 4 hour release build is pretty good for a CryEngine game. Frostbyte 2 games have had large builds, though I haven't heard if they fixed that in BF4. I remember in the BC2/BF3 days it would take them 2-4 days to build a patch because of how difficult the patching process was for their content system.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

sorla78 posted:

Already posted? Unable to keep up with this thread :)

Director of Games Ops - Jeremy Masker left in November and now works at Epic
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jeremysmasker

This is totally normal and the only people leaving Austin are art folks due to asset generation being relocated to the UK. Austin will still be responsible for handling live operations. Everything is fine.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Also quit your bitching there are totally screenshots of SC 2.0 see be happy now you ungrateful shits look at all this progress LOOK AT IT STAR CITIZEN WILL BE THE BEST loving GAME EVER!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Something, something, mole.

Something, something, false flag.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
http://io9.com/the-warcraft-movie-has-way-more-practical-effects-than-1743093686

quote:

Daniel Wu posted:

“A lot of actors are fearful of doing motion capture or any kind of virtual stuff because you have to imagine all that stuff,” added actor Daniel Wu. “But, [in Warcraft], it was there. There’s a bit where I summon the Fel energy, to get Blackhand to take the Fel into his body. And that was done with a practical set. We had this big urn in Gul’dan’s tent that had green loving fire coming out. It was awesome. It went up like eight feet high.”

They need 8ft high fires.

no_recall fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 19, 2015

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This is totally normal and the only people leaving Austin are art folks due to asset generation being relocated to the UK. Austin will still be responsible for handling live operations. Everything is fine.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

So much gameplay!

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Wow if 2.0 is launching tomorrow. Maybe it will be really good :unsmith:

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Last time I updated my launcher was around this time last year and you could dogfight. Has any more been added?

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
Not gonna lie those are some pretty sweet jpg renders. At least it looks kinda cool in stills where it is totally not a game.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Bootcha posted:

Consider this my public statement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4-oHfJNrr0

I, under the name "Bootcha", an investor with Cloud Imperium Games from Nov 13, 2012 till today, have decided to part ways with Cloud Imperium Games. As such, my investment has been returned to me, as is, with no accumulated interest. I no longer have any remaining business, legal interest, or influential bearing with Cloud Imperium Games and their ongoing business operations, and they have no further obligations towards me.

My opinions have been public, honest, and within the terms of my NDA. I enjoyed helping Star Citizen however I could, and was blessed to meet and befriend so many passionate artists, engineers, and designers. However, this project no longer has need of me, nor I of it.

I would like to thank fuzzknot for giving me the kick in the rear end to get this exit ball rolling, Mr. Smart for being frank and open with me, many past and present CIG employees for talking to me, Ben Lesnick for giving me this opportunity in the first place, Imp Zone for shaking some sense into me, and the Goons as a whole for ruining everything.

Congrats on getting out, man :unsmith:
Also, eat poo poo, Karl.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Ah, there's the smoke, thanks!

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Moss is awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos