Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Keep Bzzting And Nobody Ftzes.

Yep!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
I think ADOM hates me.

I randomed a priest and when I tried to learn divine fury (or whatever it's called) I first fell into a hole, then when I crawled out of it and tried again, I was randomly teleported and had to beat a bat to death so I could try again.

Finally, the book just bursts into flames :shepface:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

To gain Teleport control find a blink dog and eat him.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

GreyPowerVan posted:

To gain Teleport control find a blink dog and eat him.

But don't kill him until he summons lots of friends, to maximize corpse chances.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Happylisk posted:

But don't kill him until he summons lots of friends, to maximize corpse chances.

ADOM Top Tip #47-b: Hit n to name the main blink dog immediately so you don't accidentally plaster him before he summons his friends. Naming monsters is also useful for remembering which ratling traders have useful food!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
What's the goonsensus on Keeper RL?

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

I had a lot of fun with the text version for a few days, but either it bugged out or didn't actually have an ending.

It is Dwarf Fortress light, which is a good thing in this case

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

I played it a while back; I wasn't too impressed. Base-building does follow the DK mold of "build rooms to spawn monsters", but the control is pretty rough and it's entirely possible to get wiped out because one of your mobs went for a stroll and aggroed an entire village, you made your treasury too big and now you're being raided by thieves every five minutes (regardless of how much cash you have), or because there happens to be a dragon cave ten feet from your spawn point.

e: Here's what I said about it back in May:

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's...not there yet.

It has a DK-style setup where you have to set up rooms and stuff to get monsters to show up in your dungeon, but once they're there they don't require upkeep rooms, just things to do. So you don't have to worry about things like food or entertainment, but at the same time they just wander around aimlessly, build gear at random (and never equip it), and/or work out in the training room.

Imagine DK2, only with about ten times as much space to build in but only a third of the room types to build. And none of them are the interesting/fun rooms.

The map consists of an overworld with villages and stuff, but it's not that interesting. It's like one layer of a Gnomoria map.

There's also a lot of stuff you can build that'll gently caress you over. Build too many treasuries, even if they're empty, and thieves will start raiding you every five minutes. Build a beast cage to "summon" animal units, and that raven you get will just fly randomly around the countryside, aggroing everything out there. Oh, and there's always a dragon cave so the dragon can just decide to come over and stomp you into the ground.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 17, 2015

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
Another ADOM tale:

So, I went into the unremarkable cave at lvl 1 on a drakeling paladin and found all sorts of crazy bullshit, like a 2h adamantium sword crazy.

Then on floor 3 (4?) I didn't want to risk a rust monster from rusting said sword, so I started trying wands on it. I got one that let me use however much PP I wanted and watched as it bounced back and forth, slowly murdering me and the rust monster. :shepface:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Thanks for the opinions on Keeper RL.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Another ADOM tale:

So, I went into the unremarkable cave at lvl 1 on a drakeling paladin and found all sorts of crazy bullshit, like a 2h adamantium sword crazy.

Then on floor 3 (4?) I didn't want to risk a rust monster from rusting said sword, so I started trying wands on it. I got one that let me use however much PP I wanted and watched as it bounced back and forth, slowly murdering me and the rust monster. :shepface:

For what it's worth, I think adamantium is immune to rust.

But if you knew that there would be fewer good stories.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Hmm its been a while since I played Armoured Commander, let's see how its been doing with all those upgrades.

Yup, still hates and brutalizes me. loving gun needed a 4 on 2d6 to penetrate me, so of course it rolls a 3. :v:

Still, its had some excellent improvements since a few months back. I suggest anyone interested give it another go.
This tank command roguelike game looks complicated and ridiculous and like it has a learning curve roughly comparable to a brick wall.

Tell me more.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I like AC but its very unforgiving. Sometimes you get thrown poo poo that aeems impossible.

Someone earlier in the thread won like 14 battles then their commamder got headshot by an mg crew on the first turn of an ambush.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Its not as hard to learn as it looks but its hard

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Not entirely sure what the update entails, but it doesn't even matter because Red Rogue is, and will always be, freaking awesome:

http://st33d.itch.io/red-rogue

Not sure what's going on here but I'm into it.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Another ADOM tale:

Adamantium items (and mithril and eternium items) can't rust. Only iron can rust. The wand you zapped was a wand of far slaying - my favorite way to kill the crime lord.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Another ADOM tale:

Congratulations, you learned three valuable lessons today.

1) The Unremarkable Cave is actually very remarkable.

2) Items made of special metals don't rust (mithril and eternium are also immune).

3) Never zap an unidentified wand directly in front of you, especially If it asks how many PPs you want to use. Move into a corridor and zap at a diagonal instead - Lightning Bolts and Rays of all types will deflect off the wall and still hit the space immediately in front of you.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Poison Mushroom posted:

This tank command roguelike game looks complicated and ridiculous and like it has a learning curve roughly comparable to a brick wall.

Tell me more.

(skip these :words: if you want and just watch the dev's quickstart video)

It is really not that hard to play. Nor a traditional Roguelike (Roguelite may be a better term), it is just kinda brutal. The basic elements of gameplay is that campaigns* are broken up into various days where you conduct one of three mission types (Advance, Battle, (enemy) Counter-attack). At the start of each day you load your tank up with ammo and then proceed to the movement board, which is a series of cells representing the French countryside (fields, villages, forests, etc). Your objective is to cross the map towards your designated end point or, failing that, get as far as you can before sunset. Various actions like moving between cells, calling in artillery/air strikes, sending a recon force to check expected enemy resistance levels, or resupplying your tank all take various amounts of time.

Every time you enter a new map cell there is a chance of a battle encounter, which transistions you over to the Battle Map This map is a series of hexagons forming a ring around your tank representing various range and facings. Enemies will be randomly generated and it is the job of your unit to defeat them. You have a nebulous amount of friendly infantry and other Shermans with you, but you control only your own tank. Your character is the tank commander who does little besides tell the other crew what to do (or occasionally man the .50cal Ma Deuce mounted to his hatch). You can tell the driver to move forward or backwards (and optionally find cover) or pivot the tank, you tell the gunner to use his weapons, the loader to manage the ammo or fire the smoke mortar (if your tank is forunate to have one), etc etc. There isn't a ton of options but there are enough to cover all you really need.

Battles are hard. The basic M4 Sherman you start with isn't at terrible tank, but the 75mm cannon is woefully inadequate for defeating most of the SPGs/Tanks that are your biggest threat. At least head on. Against StuGs, Hetzers, JagdPanthers, Panthers and, heavens-forbid, Tigers you have very little to no chance of penetrating their frontal armor and so you must rely on one of two tactics. Maneuvering to get a side/rear shot, or hunker down, hope they don't pay attention to you, and eventually present their flanks. If you're lucky or "lucky" you might eventually get a replacement tank armed with a 76mm gun which is better at dealing with enemy armor, especially if you use precious HVAP rounds (which you can obtain a limited amount of each day).

Other than tanks and SPGs, enemies are also present in the form of infantry squads, Machinegun teams, Anti-tank guns, Half-tracks and armored cars. These can be dangerous as well of course. The obvious threat are anti-tank guns, which range from the meager (but still not to be underestimated) 50mm Pak 38 to the mighty 88mm Pak 43 which will pierce even the toughest sherman's frontal armor. The "lesser" targets are a threat too. Small arms fire can injur or kill any crew who have their hatches open, and Infantry Squads at close range might attack using Panzerschrecks (bazookas) or Panzerfausts (one-shot disposable rocket launcher).

Other threats include stuff like minefields, enemy artillery and mud (bogging down and throwing a track trying to get out sucks). I guess we should be glad the Luftwaffe has been largely hamstrung at this point and Stukas are not a threat.

Anyways, I've rambled enough, here is a quick-start video by the creator himself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5SIsESkYwQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KlWw4SedHg

Its a very difficult game, you start in late August and let me just say I've never made it to October. :v:

*There is only one Campaign right now, Patton's Best, based on the Solitaire Board game that ARmoured Commander is based off of (Though quite modified from at this point). Eventually there are hopes to include other campaigns, including Canada's Best (Canadian Shermans in France, featuring the Sherman Firefly!), or more ambitious ones like Panov's Best (T-34s on the East Front), Gunderian's Best (Panzers), or the Afrikan Front.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 18, 2015

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Happylisk posted:

The wand you zapped was a wand of far slaying - my favorite way to kill the crime lord.

Wait, wands of far slaying have a productive use case? Maybe I'm just doing ADOM wrong, but in my experience there are like five places in the entire game where I think "I could use a wand of far slaying here, put in enough PP to do useful damage (which seems to be "a lot"), and it won't bounce through me fifty times and kill me" and even my melee characters have better ways to kill things at any realistic range.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 18, 2015

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
I don't know what my deity is going to do with all of these goblins and kobolds, but he seemed pretty happy with me sacrificing them.

(I found a neutral altar on the first floor of the starter dungeon)

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

Dallan Invictus posted:

Wait, wands of far slaying have a productive use case? Maybe I'm just doing ADOM wrong, but in my experience there are like five places in the entire game where I think "I could use a wand of far slaying here, put in enough PP to do useful damage (which seems to be "a lot"), and it won't bounce through me fifty times and kill me" and even my melee characters have better ways to kill things at any realistic range.

Whenever I'm playing a melee character without a good ranged attack (often since I usually play pure melee or don't become a hybrid until later), I usually kill Hotzenplotz with fay slaying. Open his door, take a few steps back, wait til him and his guards are in a line, set tactics to coward, zap the wand and put in 5-8 pp. I've never had this backfire in years of ADOM. If I'm playing a class with Healing (Duelists or Monks usually), I do the Druid class and use the wand of frost to kill him.

Killing him early is a priority for me, since I almost never do ultras, prefer crowning early, and prefer crowning as lawful, so I need the quest reward amulet to get to L+ quickly.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
Since the Dungeonmans standalone thread seems to be dead, does anyone know if there are any sprite packs floating around? I remember seeing one using some sprites of Legend of Zelda characters.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Frankosity posted:

Since the Dungeonmans standalone thread seems to be dead, does anyone know if there are any sprite packs floating around? I remember seeing one using some sprites of Legend of Zelda characters.

that zelda one is the only one i know of

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Dallan Invictus posted:

I have only ever dared deliberately use them in wilderness encounters where I know I'm safe.

I wish the achievements didn't include the <metal> man challenge junk because otherwise it might be fun to try to get them all.

Also I started a chaos knight today and love that they straight up worship Andor Drakon.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

This is the Steam ADOM release, but is all the promised content now in the game, or isn't there still a ton of artifacts and quests that need to be implemented?

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Black August posted:

This is the Steam ADOM release, but is all the promised content now in the game, or isn't there still a ton of artifacts and quests that need to be implemented?

still a bunch of stuff needs to be implemented i think. allegedly one of the perks of the steam release is that it will get updates sooner than the free version.... but thomas biskup. as it is right now the steam version doesn't have any benefit over the free one, I think. unless you're me and you like having an hours played indicator and an achievements page

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I was playing necrodancer in all zones mode, and I was on the second-to-last level with incredibly good gear. Plate armor, obsidian crossbow, 9 max health... I saw a ring in a shop that I didn't recognize, so I bought it to try and figure out what it was. It turns out the ring of becoming makes you die in one hit. RIP.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

still a bunch of stuff needs to be implemented i think. allegedly one of the perks of the steam release is that it will get updates sooner than the free version.... but thomas biskup. as it is right now the steam version doesn't have any benefit over the free one, I think. unless you're me and you like having an hours played indicator and an achievements page

I'm not going to touch the game until it's the finished version. Finished AND patched up.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I was playing necrodancer in all zones mode, and I was on the second-to-last level with incredibly good gear. Plate armor, obsidian crossbow, 9 max health... I saw a ring in a shop that I didn't recognize, so I bought it to try and figure out what it was. It turns out the ring of becoming makes you die in one hit. RIP.

On the other hand, if you Transmute it, it becomes probably the best individual item in the entire game unless you're one of those nutcase superplayers who don't need it because they already do low% runs on Aria or whatever.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Black August posted:

I'm not going to touch the game until it's the finished version. Finished AND patched up.

You might be waiting for a good long while. Biskup isn't really known for being prompt. Or finishing.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Is anybody else getting crashes pretty frequently when tabbing back into ADOM? Maybe one in ten times I tab back to the game it crashes immediately.

I just had an amazing escape from a doppleganger king and a chaos warrior only to crash and die to the king when it restored my backup. It was a level 18 chaos knight and my best run on the steam version so far by a long shot. It's pretty frustrating to die to something I successfully got away from before because I had to do it again.

Dr. Dos fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Nov 19, 2015

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

Dr. Dos posted:

Is anybody else getting crashes pretty frequently when tabbing back into ADOM? Maybe one in ten times I tab back to the game it crashes immediately.

I just had an amazing escape from a doppleganger king and a chaos warrior only to crash and die to the king when it restored my backup. It was a level 18 chaos knight and my best run on the steam version so far by a long shot. It's pretty frustrating to die to something I successfully got away from before because I had to do it again.

ADOM has always been crash-happy in my experience.

Back when I played it I backed up my save files just for it, because it happened so often.

It's gotten better over time, but it still kind of is.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Angry Diplomat posted:

On the other hand, if you Transmute it, it becomes probably the best individual item in the entire game unless you're one of those nutcase superplayers who don't need it because they already do low% runs on Aria or whatever.
Worth mentioning: IIRC, if it's in the shop or on your hand, the Transmute spell won't change it, but the scroll will.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Dr. Dos posted:

Yeah it's a common problem which is disappointing because I was waiting for the Steam release to iron out all the bugs before I dug back in. And yeah there's still of ton of unimplemented content as far as crowdfunding stuff goes. That said, they did add quite a few things like hundreds of boss monsters and unique statues, as well as the ice queen quest. And all of the bugs from the old pre-crowdfunding version were fixed.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

automatic backups and backup restoration is a loving godsend, even still after the khelevaster crash was fixed

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Poison Mushroom posted:

Worth mentioning: IIRC, if it's in the shop or on your hand, the Transmute spell won't change it, but the scroll will.

Transmute never works on stuff you have equipped, but both the spell and the scroll work on things in the shop.

Of note is that transmutation won't change the price and also works in blood shops. Turn that 8gp torch into an 8gp suit of obsidian plate mail!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah Transmuting cheap/free stuff is one of my favourite tricks, and is why I usually hold onto the Transmute spell when choosing what to swap. Even if I don't score the Ring of Wonder, chances are I'll get my grubby mitts on some good stuff that I otherwise wouldn't have.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
https://twitter.com/adom_dev/status/667301317161844736

Apparently the cause of ADOM's crashes has been identified and there should be an update soon.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Dr. Dos posted:

https://twitter.com/adom_dev/status/667301317161844736

Apparently the cause of ADOM's crashes has been identified and there should be an update soon.

Patch came out and in addition to the crash fixes it made hitting 'u' with nothing equipped in the tool slot work like hitting 'U' and autoexplore is also on '-' now. In a strange display of appreciating modern things Biskup says he's really into auto-explore and is going to keep making it smarter. Also minotaur maze reward was nerfed but it doesn't say how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

Also minotaur maze reward was nerfed but it doesn't say how.

Why. There was barely a reason to ever go there anyway.