Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Loiosh posted:

I've been pretty active here. You can read back in my post history if you have any questions. I've said this before, but this game is an interesting idea I would like to see made. Should it fail, I will be unhappy. Should it succeed, I will be happy, but I have no desire to wish the developers or the fans, or even the detractors, disappointment.

Your posts are the only SC (semi)supportive posts that read like a sane person actually wrote them so I always read them seriously!

ed: I still think you should get a refund though.

comatose fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

peter gabriel posted:

Chris Roberts Autobiography

Page 341

"Yeah and that's when we really knew the backers had gone full retard.
They were, and I'm not making this poo poo up, they were giving familiar little nicknames to jpegs of ships that didn't exist, like they were familiar with them, or they used them daily or something.
That's when the penny really dropped, these were not rational people. We'd heard about the PDFs these crazy fuckers were making, user manuals [laughs] - again, not making this up, loving user manuals for jpegs. Crazy.
You have to understand, those were different times, Kickstarter allowed any old rear end in a top hat to fleece nerds with no come back. If you sat down now and told someone with a straight face that you could just post on a web site promising all kinds of insane bullshit and folk would simply throw cash at you, unquestioned, well. They'd think you were mad."

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Loiosh posted:

I'm so looking forward to those goons who are left running Auroras and stuff into Connies, Rets and Idris. It'll be hilarious.

It's kinda one of the reasons I signed up. I'd love to do that poo poo sometime.

You can be my griefing wingman any time

:cry:

:pilot: :pilot:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Toops posted:

Real talk, my heart goes out to Ben. He's obviously a passionate guy. I mean, he doesn't seem to have any particular talents, but it's pretty clear his dreams have turned into nightmares. Begs the question though: If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?
I feel very much the same way, mate...

I know Ben gets crapped on a lot here; he's told lies to protect his idols and The Dream, he's passive aggressive to the discontented, and his weight issues make him an easy punching bag.

But- at the risk of evoking groans and hisses, he really does seem a tragic figure in this epic tragicomedy.

Most of us can point to a personal hero, an inspiration or even idol that we've admired from a distance. Chris has been that hero for Ben for a huge part of his life. And with Star Citizen, he's been singled out from amongst the unwashed profane, been given a place of honor in the house of a man he worshipped as a deity and a ringside seat to a game he's dreamed of playing (in some way) for decades.

So what can he do but stay loyal? What can he do but parrot the propaganda? He was chosen for one reason-- it was his worship of the career and gaming legacy of Chris Roberts that "qualified" him for the job. Loyalty and adoration are the traits Chris and Sandi value above all others. So his only choice is to remain devout-- or revolt and be banished back to the pedestrian, everyday existence he was emancipated from.

I'm not saying this as a criticism of his former life-- because screw that kind of elitist noise-- just saying that his life now-- life inside a hugely funded gaming studio run by his idol and his idol's wife-- that's the life he dared not dream he'd live. Yet he's living it. So what else can he do but keep living it?

G0RF fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 19, 2015

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

G0RF posted:

I'm not saying this as a criticism of his former life-- because screw that kind of elitist noise-- just saying that his life now-- life inside a hugely funded gaming studio run by his idol and his idol's wife-- that's the life he dared not dream he'd live. Yet he's living it. So what else can he do but keep living it?

I would choose integrity, G0RF.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Conspiratiorist posted:

I would choose integrity, G0RF.
I'm not arguing for his sad compromise-- because it does come at a high price, and I think Ben is aware of it. You can't watch his abject misery in that "Reverse the Verse" they shot right after the Santa Monica bloodbath and think differently. Lando was glib, Justin was goofily happy, Thomas was eyerolling behind his boss's back (Yeah!), Sandi was in full-on psycho robot mode, and Ben was sitting there trying to explain it without explaining it, utterly tongue tied and miserable.

It was a tragic, pathetic bind -- but, to me at least, a sympathetic one.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

:lesnick: reminds me of Chris-chan in a lot of ways.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
if I were him I would have a complete emotional breakdown and reveal everything that's happened at CIG on a live broadcast AND I would do this while flailing my tiny dinosaur arms the entire time. hinthint.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

A Neurotic Jew posted:

if I were him I would have a complete emotional breakdown and reveal everything that's happened at CIG on a live broadcast AND I would do this while flailing my tiny dinosaur arms the entire time. hinthint.

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

Oh yeah? Well what do you think about THIS, huh?!

(No seriously what the hell is this?)

Looks like a rubber ship

Dunite
Oct 12, 2013

G0RF posted:

So, if you take a poo poo during a jump does that mean you leave a lightyear long skid mark across the galaxy?

e: This is the effect that food undergoes near Bens mass/black hole.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

G0RF posted:

Welp, interstellar simulated a Black Hole. I guess CR wanted to have some hands on time with simulating Einstein's Quantum Theory.

They're calling it Quantum Drives right?

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

The Real Foogla posted:

do you guys get Hela spicy ketchup in the states? it's awesome with turkey, fried chicken or fries

Searching up the different sauces mentioned of late and recognized this one. German Curry ketchup is pretty good! If you live in a place that doesnt' have a lot of European/international grocery stores, Cost Plus world market is usually easier to find. I'm gonna take a trip there to pick up some Salad cream and HP sauce

If you're looking for an excellent Japanese sauce I highly recommend this: http://www.amazon.com/Red-Shell-Teriyaki-Sauce-fl-oz/dp/B004I41T7C

They also make an very good miso salad dressing.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a breakdown of what has happened over the past week or two?

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

It was a tragic, pathetic bind -- but, to me at least, a sympathetic one.

A sad part about all this is that Ben wanted to meet up with me for dinner on his visit to Austin, to repay saving that ship rib WC4 prop piece for him.

Sad because I've known Ben before this SC madness, and I consider him a friend. But unfortunately we are on opposite sides of a very touchy situation over the stupidest thing I could have ever thought of in my life:

A video game production, with whom he works and I invested in, is running itself into the ground.

I'd love to just sit down with the man and bullshit about the Washington Caps, the UT Origin archive project, borrow another season of Doctor Who on Blueray, chat up about Jodorowsky's Dune, or hell at the least catch him up on what's up with my life.

But I can't, because it's a conflict of interest.

This loving game, man.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Unfunny Poster posted:

Is there a breakdown of what has happened over the past week or two?

Incoming big ships sale, persistent universe test always 2 weeks away, bootcha got his money back, shitizens threatening to pull money out of Battlescape Infinity because Derek Smart backed it.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Bootcha posted:

A sad part about all this is that Ben wanted to meet up with me for dinner on his visit to Austin, to repay saving that ship rib WC4 prop piece for him.

Sad because I've known Ben before this SC madness, and I consider him a friend. But unfortunately we are on opposite sides of a very touchy situation over the stupidest thing I could have ever thought of in my life:

A video game production, with whom he works and I invested in, is running itself into the ground.

I'd love to just sit down with the man and bullshit about the Washington Caps, the UT Origin archive project, borrow another season of Doctor Who on Blueray, chat up about Jodorowsky's Dune, or hell at the least catch him up on what's up with my life.

This loving game, man.

Friend Bootcha, you're an idiot if you can't talk poo poo with your friend and just not mention that his life will soon fall apart to the mocking laughter of a dozen goons.

Be there with him and just not talk about that poo poo, so he feels he can talk to you when he inevitably does need help.

There is no conflict of interest if you do not broach the most important subject that needs broaching.

E: If he's a true friend, you won't let this bullshit get in the way when it doesn't need to. No NDA can control who you associate with, and the burden of proof is on them to prove that your out of work socialization between long time friends (I assume) is anything other than just that.

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 19, 2015

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Conspiratiorist posted:

Incoming big ships sale, persistent universe test always 2 weeks away, bootcha got his money back, shitizens threatening to pull money out of Battlescape Infinity because Derek Smart backed it.

Hahaha that's great.

Also I'm not shocked by the SC fans pettiness to refuse to support a dev because Derek Smart is supporting it as well.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

McGiggins posted:

Friend Bootcha, you're an idiot if you can't talk poo poo with your friend and just not mention that his life will soon fall apart to the mocking laughter of a dozen goons.
Be there with him and just not talk about that poo poo, so he feels he can talk to you when he inevitably does need help.
There is no conflict of interest if you do not broach the most important subject that needs broaching.
E: If he's a true friend, you won't let this bullshit get in the way when it doesn't need to. No NDA can control who you associate with, and the burden of proof is on them to prove that your out of work socialization between long time friends (I assume) is anything other than just that.

What do you think will CRs and Mrs Roberts reaction be to Ben going to have a nice dinner with Bootcha? Who just forced them to give the money back. And probably had lawyers write a sternly worded letter to them. All they wanted to do was go back to Hollywood make the BDSSE.
I think it's reasonable to assume that CR/CIG are not "entirely" happy with the way Bootcha left the project. I'm just speaking out of my rear end, mind you.

EDIT
The idiot is you, who didn't think of this. Bootcha seems to be a cool guy, who doesn't want Ben (and his wife) to get fired.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

McGiggins posted:

People are fired at CIG for POSSIBLY being leaks or rolling their eyes during a livestream. There's no way they wouldn't flip out if Ben was spotted still on speaking terms with an apostate that cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

The $200,000 figure was just completely made up and not actually from Bootcha's mouth, I thought. Like some goon just said "$200,000" and everyone ran with it.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Bootcha seems to be a cool guy, who doesn't want Ben (and his wife) to get fired.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Bootcha posted:

This loving game, man.

I have had some heated discussions with close friends regarding this game. As much as both parties want this game to succeed, opinions differ. They will keep to their faith / religion, while we accept that this game has a huge probability to fail.

Unless financials prove otherwise.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Justin Tyme posted:

The $200,000 figure was just completely made up and not actually from Bootcha's mouth, I thought. Like some goon just said "$200,000" and everyone ran with it.

You don't do Venture Capitalism and invest less then some of the crazies who have already spent 52k on this game. It is very easy to believe it was around this figure anyway even if it is not exact.

McGiggins posted:

You are assuming that Chris and Sandi aren't petty enough to fire Ben and his wife for just talking to Bootcha.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Bootcha gave them 10 million. He got it back and is in talks with lowtax to buy the forums.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

what's he going to use the other $9,999,990 for

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ben's decisions are his own and Bootcha respects them, even if he's parted ways with the project.

Prop Wash posted:

:vince:

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Prop Wash posted:

Eonwe avatars obviously

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Jimb posted:

Sorry, it's garbage. I lived there for nearly a decade and they do have tons of amazing food stuffs but that's just not one of them.

But then again, I'm picky as gently caress about mayo

erm sorry what?! Is this you trashing a far superior mayo product but offering no counter - yea i thought so. loving bonzi bastard

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bootcha posted:

This loving game, man.

if you were a real friend you would tell that land whale to loss some weight

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

G0RF posted:

FTL travel is literally a stretch goal

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Does it go from suck to blow when you warp out?

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

Bootcha posted:

This loving jpegs, man.

Fixed that for you. :smuggo:

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

Justin Tyme posted:

Even though people virulently hate Ben for some reason I think he is a human being who is just way over his head and trying his best to placate rabid nerds

Nah, he's actually very demeaning and spiteful sometimes.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, people forget how much poo poo Ben could fling back when people still thought Star Citizen was going to be a real game.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
How many ships have they sold, totally, I wonder?

And how many ships being controlled by players can a space MMO support on a server farm, at once?

And how long would it take to balance all of the different types of ships when they are supposed to be able to fight each other?

Ship sales. Let's have another sale. We're having a November sale. New ships! Buy the ships.

Yeah this makes sense.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Of course Ben is stress eating. Even if this game ever comes out he will never be able to experience it like others will. The super fan won't be able to keep up with the plebs, he will be unqualified to judge the game's true beauty because... have you ever tried VR with only 1 good eye?

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Hopper posted:

Of course Ben is stress eating. Even if this game ever comes out he will never be able to experience it like others will. The super fan won't be able to keep up with the plebs, he will be unqualified to judge the game's true beauty because... have you ever tried VR with only 1 good eye?

wait! stretch goal idea, develop VR for one eyed people

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mirificus posted:

Nothing quite like celebrating the anniversary of a stillborn.
Ah, yes, the Rick Santorum approach to party planning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Do you have a link source for that? I'd like to read the whole thing. Thanks.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ZANO-...02412#comment_8

• Locked thread