Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
The sound design in the new Battlefront is absolutely amazing. The sounds of lasers and tie fighters zipping through the air reminds me of watching the movies for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah, I tested it by giving a dude a rifle and a single thing of ammo, pissing him off, and then letting him shoot me until I died.

Testing is still in progress for whether or not they also get unlimited ammo for fat- mans.
Three of my settlers are running around with miniguns and it's great :allears:
One of them keeps stealing my power armours though.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

Croccers posted:

Three of my settlers are running around with miniguns and it's great :allears:
One of them keeps stealing my power armours though.

Just make sure to grab the fusion core back out if you want to leave them lying around, that way they can't get in.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Will settlers pick up and use armor and weapons if I just throw them on the ground?

The Drive-In is getting busy and I'm not gonna go equipping everyone.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

graybook posted:

There's also a terminal in... The Gwinnett Restaurant, I think? where a pint of regular beer is recorded as costing $39.
A T-shirt is $65.
A keg of seasonal beer is $799.

Jesus.

I always assumed it was just showing inflation keeping pace, not that the world was especially hosed.

Like, $65 today is $7.39 sixty years ago adjusting for inflation (2015 vs 1955 dollars).

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It's likely that + the world going to poo poo. Right before everything got wiped out there were serious global resource problems.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Babe Magnet posted:

It's likely that + the world going to poo poo. Right before everything got wiped out there were serious global resource problems.

Yeah, some of the inflation stuff checks out (magazines and t-shirts, assuming $10 price today) but other stuff like the coolant being 113 a gallon is like %2500+ inflation (compared to gas prices).

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Babe Magnet posted:

"Global resource problems" is the canonical reason for the war with China.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I've been playing assassin's creed syndicate and one of the collectables in the game are vintage beers from Victorian England. One of your support team, Shaun tries them and writes notes about how they taste.

Now if you've never played the series Shaun is known for being British. Very very British and he usually pens the historical encyclopedia in this very cringe inducing attempt at dry sarcastic humor.

So the first few beers he talks about how they're bland and how they're fit for American supermarkets so I'm kind of like "oh boy here we go" but as time goes on they get progressively worse and you find him sinking into a slow descent into madness as he tries to find a beer that doesn't taste horrible.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I love how in the 2015 GOTY, Car Mechanic Simulator 2015, there's an entire hidden gamemode if you think about how the game works for a second. Sure, you can play the boring way and buy mint condition parts from the shop and just replace the broken ones and collect your pay. What you also can do, is find creative ways to scam your customers and turn their cars into deathtraps. For example, if you get a job to replace, let's say a brake pad, instead of buying a new one from the parts shop, you can just switch it around with another less damaged brake pad in the same car. Or, if you have two identical or similar cars in your shop, and let's say one has a damaged suspension and the other a bad engine, you can just switch them around and collect money for both jobs. As long as you fullfill the specific requirements of a job ticket, and the car's overall condition doesn't fall under some specific treshold, you can pretty much do whatever you want. And even if there's no option to earn your pay by just switching stuff around and you have to buy them from the shop, you can keep the junk damaged parts in your inventory, and just swap them one by one as you go on doing other jobs.

After a while, you get the option to literally build an entire car to sell off, made completely from parts stolen in this way, if you want.

Truly, art imitating life.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Does the game acknowledge that at all?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Not really. From a pure gameplay perspective you just get a ticket telling you which parts need replacing and that the car's overall condition can't fall under a certain percentage. How you achieve that is left to you. But once you figure out that it's possible, it's pretty fun thinking of ways to stuff as much junk in a car as you can get away with.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That's a shame, but still pretty neat. Been thinking about getting the game myself for a while but I don't know anything about engines, despite enjoying the idea of tinkering, so. :v:

Anyway, more Fallout 4 stuff. The Power Armour specifically! It's been mentioned before, but...

While you get your first suit pretty early on, the way it's introduced to you is fantastic. Rather than just being found on a corpse or slapped on after buying it, you plug yourself into the suit, rip off the minigun from a crashed military vehicle and hurl yourself from the top floor of a three storey building, wiping out an entire group of Raiders and a Deathclaw with your newly acquired munitions. :black101:

Instantly sells the idea that it's big, heavy and something it's expecting you to use. More than once I've scurried away to pick up a suit from one of my settlements and clunked back to the quest area. It makes a genuine difference to your survivability and combat; even against super weapons with fairly powerful weapons, you're no longer having to duck and dodge, and can quite easily slug it out and wade through entire rooms. While fusion cores are maybe a bit too common (they power the suit and strip away its strongest aspects when empty), you're still limited to an extent and again sells the idea this isn't just a quick combat armour reskin.

On top of that you can upgrade each individual piece (each arm, helmet, etc) and also mix/match from various designs while giving them unique properties (my personal favourite is giving my chest piece a jetpack, and the legs "blood cleansers" that allow me to drug up to my tits without suffering any addictions). You can tweak the colours of each bit, the upgrade type, the armour categories and so on. The suit feels very personal and like you're cobbling it together from a myriad of parts rather than simply looting an entirely new, shiny set by itself.

My favourite though is how the animations and sounds change. It's already been mentioned but you are heavy in this drat thing. You'll sink to the bottom of lakes, scenery notably creaks underneath you, leaping from even fairly small objects will shake the area and so on. You're slightly slower than normal while wearing the suit but the half-menacing, half-silly waddle makes it clear that the armour is carrying its own weight and more than making up for any clumsiness your character has inside it. Similarly, when you get hit by bullets you can hear them pinging off and even ricocheting into the scenery around you - with good head phones you can even hear these noises coming from where you're getting hit.

Oh, and the armour is so big and strong your character fires pistols in one hand, and aiming down the sights can only bring weapons up to your chest. :allears:

Bethesda make some weird design choices but whoever was involved in the power armour really loved what they were doing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

poptart_fairy posted:

On top of that you can upgrade each individual piece (each arm, helmet, etc) and also mix/match from various designs while giving them unique properties (my personal favourite is giving my chest piece a jetpack, and the legs "blood cleansers" that allow me to drug up to my tits without suffering any addictions). You can tweak the colours of each bit, the upgrade type, the armour categories and so on. The suit feels very personal and like you're cobbling it together from a myriad of parts rather than simply looting an entirely new, shiny set by itself.

I don't know what you mean by multiple paintjobs. The only one that exists is Hot-Rod Flames :colbert:.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

poptart_fairy posted:

with good head phones you can even hear these noises coming from where you're getting hit.
They actually did a really good job with some of the sounds. Gunshots, shot guns especially, just rip through the air and as I was blasting through super mutants with my 10mm earlier I kept noticing a weird noise. After some testing I realized the odd popping and clicking was the sound of the bullet casings or whatever bouncing off the floor :shepface: it was kind of neat and I spent a while just shooting the wall to watch bullets bounce around.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

That's a shame, but still pretty neat. Been thinking about getting the game myself for a while but I don't know anything about engines, despite enjoying the idea of tinkering, so. :v:

You don't have to know anything. It's actually more like a puzzle game, where you take things apart until you get to the part that needs changing, and then you put it back together again. I found it's a good game to chill to while listening to podcasts and stuff, with the added benefit that you might actually learn something about engines. I think I even might have got it, because I saw a gameplay video on youtube with the McElroy bros a while ago (so I'm guessing it's on Polygon's channel somewhere, if anyone's interested).

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Nuebot posted:

They actually did a really good job with some of the sounds. Gunshots, shot guns especially, just rip through the air and as I was blasting through super mutants with my 10mm earlier I kept noticing a weird noise. After some testing I realized the odd popping and clicking was the sound of the bullet casings or whatever bouncing off the floor :shepface: it was kind of neat and I spent a while just shooting the wall to watch bullets bounce around.

Shooting a rifle outside makes a satisfying echo. I always think I'm going to alert someone because it just sounds so loud. Especially the .50 cal rifles.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
Far away gun battles in the city also sound awesome (especially with good headphones), they really capture that muted, echoey sound that you get when sound has to bounce through alleys and whatever. And then you get closer and the shots start to get that cracking sound back, which acoustically totally would be the first thing lost by distance.

I especially love to it when I can hear one of those fights and all of a sudden it gets punctuated by a huge but gutless "whump", and you know a super mutant just scored a touchdown.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

My favourite though is how the animations and sounds change. It's already been mentioned but you are heavy in this drat thing. You'll sink to the bottom of lakes, scenery notably creaks underneath you, leaping from even fairly small objects will shake the area and so on. You're slightly slower than normal while wearing the suit but the half-menacing, half-silly waddle makes it clear that the armour is carrying its own weight and more than making up for any clumsiness your character has inside it. Similarly, when you get hit by bullets you can hear them pinging off and even ricocheting into the scenery around you - with good head phones you can even hear these noises coming from where you're getting hit.

Yeah the sound of stuff on the armour is great. Walked into a group of super mutants and heard the standard plinks from their pipe weapons, then suddenly a very decent hearty powerful thunk as their leader had a gauss rifle.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

grate deceiver posted:

I think I even might have got it, because I saw a gameplay video on youtube with the McElroy bros a while ago (so I'm guessing it's on Polygon's channel somewhere, if anyone's interested).

Had to look this up because I figured it would be funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykSzQ0utxtg

Car Crimes Simulator 2015

Naganted
Jul 22, 2007

Indistinct Gibberish.
Toilet Rascal
I love how faces in games have gone a far ways from the creepy Skyrim "Stare into your soul" type poo poo, or every generic grunt wears a mask stuff,..

I almost lost my poo poo when I was wandering around in Fallout 4 and got bum-rushed by a bunch of Raiders,...The last guy was coming at me with a combat shotgun and I had a magical half second of noticing that he looked exactly like Trevor from GTA,....I know it was just a random generator thing (I'd say but who knows, but I think I killed another less close looking Trevor lookalike hours later.)

I was pretty bummed that I exploded his head because I would of loved to take a screenshot of that, even if I had to use my phone because I'm a moron with this new technology stuff.

And I love watching Valentine talk, I think they did really well on him. And getting him talking is pretty amusing, intruiged to see if I can get other people to rant as much as he does, holy poo poo, if you're nice to him and he respects you, and you just encourage him to speak,....Holy crap,...

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

ravinghobo posted:

And I love watching Valentine talk, I think they did really well on him. And getting him talking is pretty amusing, intruiged to see if I can get other people to rant as much as he does, holy poo poo, if you're nice to him and he respects you, and you just encourage him to speak,....Holy crap,...

At one point during the quest with Nick I was using all the sarcasm options and nick interjects along the lines of if my smart mouth was a help we'd have found my son by now. He is the best.

E:
My PYF for F04 is the companions chatting to NPCs of areas every now and again, from Piper doing lovely interviews to Nick laying a burn on BoS knight.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Shenmue 2's last 2 hours or so is one long nature hike. Having dialog with a new character pretty much the entire way. Very nice and very relaxing after having the big action finale right beforehand. Even the noises for the QTE's are different for it :3:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Oxyclean posted:

Had to look this up because I figured it would be funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykSzQ0utxtg

Car Crimes Simulator 2015

This is a pro click right here.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

ravinghobo posted:

I almost lost my poo poo when I was wandering around in Fallout 4 and got bum-rushed by a bunch of Raiders,...The last guy was coming at me with a combat shotgun and I had a magical half second of noticing that he looked exactly like Trevor from GTA,....I know it was just a random generator thing (I'd say but who knows, but I think I killed another less close looking Trevor lookalike hours later.)

I don't think it is totally random, because I had a thing happen where a settler was begging for help, and when I followed her into a building it turns out it was a trap and I got bum rushed by at least six guys who all looked exactly like Trevor. I killed their long lost brother later as well.

I liked that all that wasn't part of a mission though, just a thing that happened.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samfucius posted:

I don't think it is totally random, because I had a thing happen where a settler was begging for help, and when I followed her into a building it turns out it was a trap and I got bum rushed by at least six guys who all looked exactly like Trevor. I killed their long lost brother later as well.

I liked that all that wasn't part of a mission though, just a thing that happened.

That actually is part of a mission, you can go back to that place later to mix paint.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Sleeveless posted:

This is a pro click right here.

Holy poo poo, :agreed:
Take 20 minutes and watch them successfully order new parts.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Nth Doctor posted:

Holy poo poo, :agreed:
Take 20 minutes and watch them successfully order new parts.

The McElroy brothers are hilarious. If you haven't already, check out their Monster Factory segments, also under the Polygon banner.

faptown
Dec 6, 2008

Greatbacon posted:

The McElroy brothers are hilarious. If you haven't already, check out their Monster Factory segments, also under the Polygon banner.

Everyone should do this. I just watched the one where they clone The Rock in WWE 2K14, and had to pause it a few times because I was laughing so hard.

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~

pulp rag posted:

Hey, remember Fallout 3?

Remember Little Lamplight?

Remember the little poo poo kid who was the mayor?

Guess who's back in Fallout 4?

You just blew my mind

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Fallout 4 thing: If you hack a Protectron, you can change its security protocols to various things like firefighter, repairman, law officer, etc. to make it behave in different ways. One of those behaviors is 'Subway Steward', where it will attack anybody who doesn't have a subway token. If you do have a subway token, it'll walk around with you and kill everybody else. That's not the little thing though; the little thing is that this works anywhere in the game world except for Park Street Station...

Because the station is closed, and is no longer accepting tickets/handing out tokens, because Vault 114 was being built there before the war.

Literally Kermit posted:

At Slo-cum Joes, get yourself a dozen delicious donuts! Only $42 :buddy:

They all are neat ways of showing how hosed things were right before the Great War. The classic example from the older games is the price of gas being ridiculously high, and the filling stations charging $113 a gallon of coolant for your nuclear powered car.

To add to this, the magazines you can pick up for stat boosts around the game world list their cover cost as 39 dollars. I don't need a new hairstyle that bad, magazine! :v:

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 01:57 on Nov 20, 2015

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Greatbacon posted:

Here's a playlist with all of Justin and Griffin's non-Monster Factory videos.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I don't know how to link directly to the video, but this is something I just found out about in Undertale:

https://twitter.com/facesteak/status/665676562956738560/video/1

The amount of care that Fox put in this game is amazing.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I don't know what you mean by multiple paintjobs. The only one that exists is Hot-Rod Flames :colbert:.

I can't wait for the loving GECK to come out, I'm going to spend so much time making custom power armor paint-jobs.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Samfucius posted:

Since it is a thing in RDR and GTA V where a person distress waves you down and you try to help them only to end up getting shot at by a ton of bad dudes, it wouldn't surprise me if it was intentional.

Content:

Today Nick picked up a minigun and shot up like 10 guys. I didn't even have time to react with :stare:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samfucius posted:

It's a deliberate setup. I ran across the same place the other day. It's Hardware Town, right near Diamond City if you want to find it yourself.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply it wasn't a set-piece deliberately designed, it just wasn't part of a quest as in it does not show up in your pip boy and you get no extra xp for completing it. Also all the dudes looking like Trevor has to be random, right?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Someone mentioned this in the dragging down thread about Fallout 4:

Red Minjo posted:

I used it to figure out how to wait. (you have to sit on a chair or couch now.)
Which means that, holy poo poo, there's a use for the drat things for once.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Critical Attacks in Fallout 4 never miss. Even if you have a 1% chance of hitting a power core on the back of someone's power armor and they're facing you, shooting you. Just keep using those crits with that 1% chance and you can make them get out of the armor. In my case a raider just jumped out of their armor. Off of a cliff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Critical Attacks in Fallout 4 never miss.

Aww what? Sonuvabitch, I never knew!