Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I can never get past the first few stages of Bust A Move.

And I didn't know there were easy dialogue options in Fallout 4. ;_;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Fallout 4 certainly doesn't over-tutorialize. It comes up when you first get out of the vault and (I can't imagine this is a spoiler, but what the hell) talk to your robot butler. You can press him on seeming to be holding something back, and that option is the easiest level of dialogue check. Afterwards a little explanation box or two appear on the screen pretty quickly explaining the system and difficulty levels.

Jeff recommended blue text on the Bombcast. Apparently the existing settings for text color on dialogue checks don't change if you adjust the color of the text, so if you make it red the hard checks will look identical to normal text.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I think that brings back to the comment about "who the gently caress doesn't have color blind options in 2015"

I actually can't think of many games that do have that option. I was confused if that was really common?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I don't know why Gary started referring to other people and himself as [Insert Adjective Here] boys, but I sincerely hope he never stops.

Gary has been a BoizBoi for as long as I remember.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
It took me too long to realize that the Bonfireside Chat/Dark Souls themed postcard I got today was not a joke by my fiancee, and was instead a Patreon reward. Thanks, Gary/Kole/the rest of the Duckfeed boys.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

END ME SCOOB posted:

It took me too long to realize that the Bonfireside Chat/Dark Souls themed postcard I got today was not a joke by my fiancee
I already see why you decided she's a keeper.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I'm guessing this went under the radar as I'm one of the last people with terrible internet and not on a console. I always buy big (size) games off amazon on dvd.

Fallout 4 was the first time I've experienced this. It came with one dvd with about 5 gigs of the 25 (?) gig game expecting you too download the rest. I initially thought this was a mistake. Then I googled it and found that it is an "anti piracy" measure. Which seems a bit odd?

I really hope more games don't start doing this? I have no real experience with pirating games but surely it's inevitable that the hackers will get past this with ease and it pretty much just screws over me the paying customer as most terrible drm seems too.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't think you have to worry about more games doing that so much as just physical PC discs ceasing to be sold altogether

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
It's been more and more common as of late, but even going back a few years I know that patches would make the on-disc game only somewhat helpful for that position (buying Civ: BE boxed and having it install, then download half of its filesize again in patches afterwards), and a few really egregious cases have come out this year alone (MGSV having nothing but a Steam code and installer).

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't think you have to worry about more games doing that so much as just physical PC discs ceasing to be sold altogether

That is true. I know the infrastructure in my area is being upgraded so hopefully I will get better internet by the time that happens. It's generally only triple A titles like gta etc that are so big I need too buy on dvd.

Anyway it's just annoying having fallout 4 sitting on my machine partially installed and I can't play it.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Listening to Crate & Crowbar and Daft Souls in my regular rotation really highlights the difference between the shows.

C&C is frequently quite negative, sometimes harshly so, on many of the games they talk about. But they explain why and regularly do deep dives into mechanics and systems to explain in detail precisely why they don't like the game. So while C&C can sometimes be accused of being negative towards games, as a listener I always find it fascinating and insightful.

Daft Souls goes the other direction entirely. They've settled on a more even tone in the last six months, but they're very much all about positivity and talking about games they really love. Unfortunately, this often translates into bitterness over the fact that other people don't necessarily like these games. The Destiny chat is usually repetitive at the best of times, but by Christ is it made so much worse by the sulky way in which they talk about fan reactions to games. This bleeds over into so much stuff now; I can't remember the last episode where they didn't whine about players or fans of a series. It comes across as massively insecure and a little immature.

Blops 3 is a good example. C&C had a lot of negative things to say about it, but the discussion was entirely worthwhile and they justified their views with considered opinion on multiple aspects of the game. The guys on Daft Souls said they loved it but spent a not insignificant amount of time bleating about people who dislike the series or write it off.

To me it's a really jarring difference in approach, and I'm certain Daft Souls is made worse by the comparison. Might be time for me to prune my list again. Is Idle Thumbs worth listening to again? I saw Danielle left and she was the one person you could guarantee would a) play games and b) only hold very strong opinions on topics she actually knew something about.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Popping in for a quick plug for charity:

This weekend, we're doing our annual livestream to benefit Transactive Gender Center in Portland. 48 hours of streaming content, Friday 7PM PST to Sunday 7PM PST. Details can be found here: https://www.duckfeed.tv/duckstream

Tune in, give if you can!

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

END ME SCOOB posted:

It's been more and more common as of late, but even going back a few years I know that patches would make the on-disc game only somewhat helpful for that position (buying Civ: BE boxed and having it install, then download half of its filesize again in patches afterwards), and a few really egregious cases have come out this year alone (MGSV having nothing but a Steam code and installer).

On console (especially PlayStation) it is often a disaster because of the way those systems figure out and apply patches. Xbox One and Steam are smart enough that a developer can upload a new build, those services can do a diff on the server, and only give end users the changed data as a patch. PlayStation's infrastructure isn't that smart, and its up to developers to replace individual files. However, if a developer chooses to compress their game data (common in a downloadable game for obvious reasons), individual file access isn't allowed; you have to swap out a whole archive. THAT gets increasingly complicated because some engines don't let you arbitrarily package up your files into archives easily.

It's a definite "you take the good with the bad" situation -- we have fast broadband, and these automated storefronts on every platform now, and off the shelf game engines, and it makes everything way easier for everyone, but it also means developers are less likely to write really intricate, detailed patching tools for their tech.

ja2ke fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 20, 2015

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Re: C&C vs DS I've noticed the same thing. Crate and Crowbar guys are great at getting into why something doesn't work, but the daft souls people are usually vague and describe like themes over mechanics.

Thumbs still don't talk about games as much, but I still dig them generally. Lots of talk of the first couple hours of Fallout 4 in the past two weeks.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Just was on a flight up to Minneapolis and I busted out the 3DS for the first time since April.

Rocket Slime is absolutely s(ub)lime. The tutorial bits are weird, but man are the mechanics incredibly satisfying.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Phone posted:

Just was on a flight up to Minneapolis and I busted out the 3DS for the first time since April.

Rocket Slime is absolutely s(ub)lime. The tutorial bits are weird, but man are the mechanics incredibly satisfying.

I just replayed it after it came up here and it's so good, once I was able to have a posse I'd start most battles by firing myself out of a cannon into the enemy's tank to sabotage the ammo delivery systems and it felt great every time.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Fawf posted:

I just replayed it after it came up here and it's so good, once I was able to have a posse I'd start most battles by firing myself out of a cannon into the enemy's tank to sabotage the ammo delivery systems and it felt great every time.

I only discovered that was possible when one of my idiot posse knocked me into the cannon. Probably my fastest turn from annoyance to delight.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I shot myself by mixing up A and B.

Also, the game is really weird in its gating and critical path. After getting the tank, I went back to Forewood Forest and tried to find all of the slimes and did the tank battles... Solo. It took some time and the Chrono Twigger was a 0HP vs 0HP engine room race, but yeah, I should probably unlock the crew functionality and HP upgrades.

My only complaint about the game is that it harps on some stuff really hard tutorial wise, and then doesn't explain other stuff to where you can be doing something but not knowing why until significantly later. I'm 100% cool with the purchase and it might be the first single player game that I've beaten in a long, long while.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Late to listening to this week's episode, but Beastcast killed me. God drat I love Vinny.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
The Cincinnati leg of DuckStream is coming up in about 30 minutes. I'll be streaming Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, and then either Silent Hill 2 or 3, depending on how I feel.

http://duckfeed.tv/duckstream

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The credits are the best thing about Rocket Slime.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I will have you know that I was a fan of Drakengard way before Nier existed, goddamnit.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Kole! I listened to the rest of Wade Hixton this morning and caught some reference that Gary didn't get but I immediately got: the ol' spicy keychain.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

END ME SCOOB posted:

I will have you know that I was a fan of Drakengard way before Nier existed, goddamnit.

My reaction was mainly "Drakengard isn't a JRPG! It's a Dynasty Warriors/Panzer Dragoon-esque-thing"

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I think people mostly like the idea of Drakengard. I never played it, I just read the LP on here, so I didn't have to play Dynasty Warriors to get to the, uh, good? part.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Drakengard was a horrible game but I still really liked it. It almost benefits from being as mind-numbing and depressing as it is.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Do we know when GB is doing their big end of the year podcasts yet?

VVV cool thanks

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 1, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

Do we know when GB is doing their big end of the year podcasts yet?

They're probably recording them right now or at least very soon. They usually release them in the week between christmas and new year.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Hakkesshu posted:

Drakengard was a horrible game but I still really liked it. It almost benefits from being as mind-numbing and depressing as it is.

I say this in all seriousness: I legitimately worry about how Nier: Automata is going to turn out because a competent studio is working on it. I really think being developed by Platinum is going to remove some of the charm, and some of the early interviews about it keep me on edge.

I may be a legitimate madman about this franchise.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

"I want a game to play like poo poo" is indeed a thing a crazy, depressive person would say.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Tae posted:

"I want a game to play like poo poo" is indeed a thing a crazy, depressive person would say.

Well, I mean, it doesn't have to play like poo poo, but there's already one instance he's talked about where they shot down what sounded like a very Taro Yoko design decision*, and I just worry that sort of thing is going to become the standard for this title rather than its defining style.

* "The protagonist is an android, so what if we have some enemies who cause lower framerates or stuttering to mess with her visual sensors?" is apparently something Platinum shot down immediately.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Yoko Taro games are remembered for their batshit story and incredible music, nobody sane is going "Yeah, I really miss that super bad dynasty warriors/devil may cry terrible combat" as why it's remembered so fondly. His games didn't really have mechanical quirks, just poor gameplay because his team wasn't experienced on the playing side.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I appreciate Drakengard for the same reason I don't actually want to play Drakengard, which is that very few games (and especially very few Square-Enix console RPGs) are so intentionally and overtly unpleasant and hostile towards the player. It's an ugly, unfun slog of a game with discordant, atonal music and a plot populated with the most hateful people possible, but all of that serves a thematic & satirical purpose, which is something you don't see a lot in video games.

Nier is a much more aesthetically pleasing game that handles similar themes with a defter touch and far more nuance, which is part of why it's so much more successful. Its somber, faded beauty and cast of damaged and misguided but sympathetic and likeable misfits are much more pleasant to spend time with, but even beyond that they're a better vehicle for the questions Taro wants to ask and the themes he wants to explore. Drakengard is about how the typical video game protagonist is a mass-murdering lunatic, which is a fair observation and effectively explored (and was less well-trod territory in 2003) but kind of a rhetorical dead end. Nier, though, is about despair and the inevitability of death and how desperation can drive people to terrible things, which is a much richer vein to explore.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 2, 2015

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
I played Drakengard because an ex gave me a free copy. It was fun but I barely remember it, and I don't think I actually finished it in the end.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

fruitpunch posted:

I played Drakengard because an ex gave me a free copy. It was fun but I barely remember it, and I don't think I actually finished it in the end.

You would remember if you had finished it. Trust me.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

WrightOfWay posted:

You would remember if you had finished it. Trust me.

Nah, there's five endings and only the last few are internet famous

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
I heard a friend of a friend say "I bought a ps3 for Drakengard 3" yesterday. This is my contribution to this argument - someone played the first two and liked them that much.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

KoldPT posted:

I heard a friend of a friend say "I bought a ps3 for Drakengard 3" yesterday. This is my contribution to this argument - someone played the first two and liked them that much.

Nobody liked Drakengard 2.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Opposing Farce posted:

Nobody liked Drakengard 2.

Even I won't go to bat for that, and we've established I am a crazy person for the series. (hint: It didn't have the same madman at the helm. It's the Snake's Revenge of Drakengard.) That said, Drakengard 3 is one of maybe 4 games I preordered the entire PS3 generation, and the one I didn't end up disappointed by.

I wrote a whole huge post here about how Drakengard 3 is kind of the unknown merging of Nier's character development and Drakengard's tragic world* into a really solid evolution. You have fleshed out characters but it's still a world of misery and a tragic tale to the end. I wish it had gotten more love, but it got stuck with literally the worst coding team possible, Access Games. You know, the Deadly Premonition guys, people who made a game almost hold together on the 360 and then get worse with every platform it touched. Somehow these guys made a game so slapdash it didn't even break consistently across a closed platform like the PS3.

Anyway the point I made before the forums went offline for the night and ate the whole thing was "I'm really excited to see where things go next because clearly the writing end of things is improving with every game".

* short version if that confuses you: Nier is a sequel to Drakengard, but it doesn't take place on that world, it takes place in our future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Access seems to have turned around lately, D4 and DMC4SE were fine.

• Locked thread