Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Laranzu posted:

Just goes to show you these things are pretty reliable, considering it ran for some reason.

May be the understatement of the year there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

TheNothingNew posted:

So...

1995 1.8L NA.

Leaks fluid from the front somewhere when the engine is hot, but not before. Fluid leak stops quickly after engine is shut off.
Moderate leak, not sure what it is except it isn't coolant. Man trans fluid isn't old enough to tell by smell.

Recent work:
Shop installed clutch kit. Pretty sure leak predates this.
CAS O-ring replaced after much swearing. Heater hoses through the firewall replaced. Coolant replaced. Oil & filter change. Clutch fluid replaced.

I'm going to take a look at this later today/tomorrow, but if someone has ideas I'm all ears.

So... asked about this, recommendation was to pressure wash the engine but do not have access to a pressure washer and was afraid of driving it like that. Life got in the way for a bit, so it's been sitting. Until tonight! Point is, can someone tell me what the hell this hole is and why it would be dripping what I assume is transmission fluid like crazy? Seriously, like 10 drips going back and forward to put the car on ramps.

(back of the transmission bellhousing, looking toward the front of the car. image not mine, so if it's a little off that's why)

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

TheNothingNew posted:

So... asked about this, recommendation was to pressure wash the engine but do not have access to a pressure washer and was afraid of driving it like that. Life got in the way for a bit, so it's been sitting. Until tonight! Point is, can someone tell me what the hell this hole is and why it would be dripping what I assume is transmission fluid like crazy? Seriously, like 10 drips going back and forward to put the car on ramps.

(back of the transmission bellhousing, looking toward the front of the car. image not mine, so if it's a little off that's why)
That's the transmission weep hole. Your rear main seal is hosed. The only other thing around there that leaks is if you screwed up an AC removal, but it probably wouldn't look like it was coming out of that hole.

destructo fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 16, 2015

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Right as i say that, and drop the extra oil...

https://youtu.be/k5ECVIr6YhU

Sounds like a spun bearing

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

destructo posted:

That's the transmission weep hole. Your rear main seal is hosed. The only other thing around there that leaks is if you screwed up an AC removal, but it probably wouldn't look like it was coming out of that hole.

Ah, gently caress me. Thanks, though. At least it gives me a direction to swear in.

I have no idea what I am doing, and the thought of having to remove an engine makes me miss my crappy econobox. Balls to everything.

King-Kong
Oct 15, 2003
Leader of the Apes
Took the ND to my first autocross in over a year (FL SCCA state championships). Performed really, really poorly. Overall did the worst I've ever done at an event (previously drove an NA and an e92 m3 with far better results).

The car is completely stock, and I was really surprised by how slippery the tires felt.

The gearing was also a disaster. I've never shifted out of 2nd gear in any previous events over the years. Yesterday, on my final lap, I was shifting in four places.

I had four dirty laps out of 5 (also rare for me). My final lap I dropped a whole second off my run, but hit a cone (in all honesty it wasn't even a critical cone... kind of surprised it happened).

That said, it sure was a popular car!... I felt like I let MX-5 drivers everywhere down.

I am firmly a believer that the slowest part of the car is the idiot behind the seat, and doing so poorly has definitely inspired me to tune myself up, but I do hope some proper tires, a front sway bar, and an alignment will help bridge the gap just a bit (and maybe a slower course).

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you haven't gotten an alignment, do that first.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Laranzu posted:

Right as i say that, and drop the extra oil...

https://youtu.be/k5ECVIr6YhU

Sounds like a spun bearing

All I hear in that video are the lifters.

Putting too much oil in the crankcase shouldn't hurt anything but the seals which are in danger of being blown out.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

TheNothingNew posted:

Ah, gently caress me. Thanks, though. At least it gives me a direction to swear in.

I have no idea what I am doing, and the thought of having to remove an engine makes me miss my crappy econobox. Balls to everything.
I'd be more angry at the shop that did your clutch and didn't bother you to replace it really.

Good luck! If you don't have AC, I'd probably just pull the engine and do it out of the car, but you could just drop the trans and do it that way as well. From what I've gathered dropping the trans sucks all the butts. Pulling an engine is relatively simple. Haven't tried to put it back in yet though :v

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

leica posted:

Putting too much oil in the crankcase shouldn't hurt anything but the seals which are in danger of being blown out.

Nah, you can definitely get oiling problems from overfull engines - the crank whips the top of the oil up and the pump starts sucking foam instead of straight oil.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Don't you people ever check the oil level after you change it? Woulda figured that poo poo out quick if you did.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

leica posted:

The lifters are a much lighter tick underneath that. You can hear them during the first second or so. The clack is new, and awful. Pulled the wire on plug #1 and it definitely sounds like its cylinder #1.

Normally just dump out the oil and drop in a full bottle of Rotella T6. So I never bother checking the oil level. It only read just barely above the full line of the dipstick anyway. I'd be damned if ~8qts didn't come out of it though.

King-Kong
Oct 15, 2003
Leader of the Apes

Phone posted:

If you haven't gotten an alignment, do that first.

Yeah... forgot to add that to the list. I've seen the before numbers on some cars and they look pretty atrocious.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams

Laranzu posted:

I'd be damned if ~8qts didn't come out of it though.

So drain plug mix up aside, when did you finally come to realize your mistake?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Chriskory posted:

So drain plug mix up aside, when did you finally come to realize your mistake?

Got under the car. Saw the washer I used for the oil change sitting on the transmission plug. Then all the differences between the transmission drain and the oil drain became obvious and the wave of idiocy washed over me.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

destructo posted:

I'd be more angry at the shop that did your clutch and didn't bother you to replace it really.

Good luck! If you don't have AC, I'd probably just pull the engine and do it out of the car, but you could just drop the trans and do it that way as well. From what I've gathered dropping the trans sucks all the butts. Pulling an engine is relatively simple. Haven't tried to put it back in yet though :v

Doubly so, as I thought this was a shop I could trust, and now I no longer have one of those.

Do have AC, and not interested in dealing with that, so going to try dropping the transmission. If anyone has ideas, tips or hints, let me know please. I am fully willing to admit to being kind of an idiot.

Consumables for rear main seal replacement: rear main seal and 2 bottles of MT-90, right?

So this:
http://parts.arlingtonmazda.com/products/SEAL%2COIL-C%7B47%7DSHAFT-%28BP05%252d11%252d312%29.html

and two of these:
http://parts.arlingtonmazda.com/products/REDLINE-MT%252d90-%28MT%252d90%29.html

right? Someone check me on this, please.

Anything else I'm likely to bodge or will otherwise need replacing while doing this?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

TheNothingNew posted:

Doubly so, as I thought this was a shop I could trust, and now I no longer have one of those.

Do have AC, and not interested in dealing with that, so going to try dropping the transmission. If anyone has ideas, tips or hints, let me know please. I am fully willing to admit to being kind of an idiot.

A crazy old Miata guy in town swears its easier to pull the engine and tranny as one unit and then separate them outside the car. I can see how its possible, due to the bolt locations on top of the bell housing. I'm going to try it that way when I pull this engine.

Just talked to a pretty highly recommended machine shop in town. Looking at ~$1300 labor for all the work to unfuck and rebuild an engine. Should be able to fit in the bits I want for under $700 in parts. Think i'm going to do that with intentions to turbo from a known good baseline. The lovely part about living on an Island is the supply of low mileage engines is much more finite than normal. It looks like I can get a 1.6 with 141k and possibly needing a valve job for cheap, a good looking (on craigslist) '99 car with 180k for $2200 (mmmm. VICS)

But those might explode too.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Just get a VVT motor and grab a VICS manifold, you wuss. If you're going to do it, do it right.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Buy a K Series

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
poo poo for $700-1300 just hit the local LKQ and pick up enough LS3 to make a locomotive buy dick-enlarging pills from the back of a magazine.

Then twin-supercharge it with one junkyard Eaton M90 on each bank.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
All of these ideas are super plausible with the abundance of parts on the mainland. However I live on an island chain in the middle of the Pacific ocean.

If I can fashion the LSx/K-series subframe and driveline components out of coconuts it wouldn't cost 200% more than the parts to ship them. There are more than enough engines floating around from idiot junior enlisted military ramming their cars into things backwards.

There is a locomotive graveyard from when we still had a railway. If I can't find enough LS3s to make a locomotive I'll find enough old rear end locomotives to make a corvette engine.

Edit: If a nice VVT shows up though, I'm on it.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Three days and 20 dollars to replace the stupid license plate illuminators. lovely brittle plastic and bulbs nobody has in stock locally: a winning combination.

GP035
Feb 15, 2005

It's Clutch Time!

TheNothingNew posted:

Consumables for rear main seal replacement: rear main seal and 2 bottles of MT-90, right?

So this:
http://parts.arlingtonmazda.com/products/SEAL%2COIL-C%7B47%7DSHAFT-%28BP05%252d11%252d312%29.html

and two of these:
http://parts.arlingtonmazda.com/products/REDLINE-MT%252d90-%28MT%252d90%29.html

right? Someone check me on this, please.

Anything else I'm likely to bodge or will otherwise need replacing while doing this?

A/C can be zip-tied off to the side when pulling the engine. I pulled the engine instead of dropping the transmission when I replaced the clutch and rear main. Get a shifter rebuild kit if you haven't already. I used Mnet hardon inducing Ford Motorcraft XT-M5-QS, so it must be good.

http://www.miata.net/garage/clutch/ is a good guide for dropping the transmission. Get a cheap seal puller if you don't have one, it will save your crank.

GP035 fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 18, 2015

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

G Money posted:

A/C can be zip-tied off to the side when pulling the engine. I pulled the engine instead of dropping the transmission when I replaced the clutch and rear main. Get a shifter rebuild kit if you haven't already. I used Mnet hardon inducing Ford Motorcraft XT-M5-QS, so it must be good.

http://www.miata.net/garage/clutch/ is a good guide for dropping the transmission. Get a cheap seal puller if you don't have one, it will save your crank.

Cheap seal puller, check.
Rebuilt the shifter last year, should be good there.
Gonna go read that walkthrough a couple dozen more times.

Thanks.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Dropping just the trans is easy. I'd go that route before pulling the engine any day.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's probably less time consuming to pull the motor and trans out as one than it is to just drop the trans. There are a few snags that you might run into, but I would minimize the amount of time I spend under the car to do the same job (and more) with it coming out with the motor.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If you have a lift dropping the trans is faster and easier. If no lift, pulling the motor and trans out the top is gonna be a hell of a lot faster and easier than lying underneath the car on jackstands.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
I've done it both ways on jack stands. The only real issue with pulling the trans was manuevering it while on my back and getting back up and in and lined up. Both ways have poo poo in the way or whatever. I guess it depends on if you need to do coolant or something anyway besides the clutch.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It depends on the person I guess, If all you know is jack stands then it's probably not a big deal, but after doing clutch jobs on a lift no way I would want to do it with the bottom of the car two inches from my face on my back. To each his own.

[e] honestly at this point in my life i'd rather pay somebody else to do it :v:

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

leica posted:

[e] honestly at this point in my life i'd rather pay somebody else to do it :v:

How I got here in the first place, rear end.

Also this car is perfect aside from this seal, so I don't need to do anything with the clutch itself.

Don''t have a lift, don't have an engine hoist. Need to buy a better jack and figure out some kind of cradle for the transmission to sit on.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

TheNothingNew posted:

How I got here in the first place, rear end.

Also this car is perfect aside from this seal, so I don't need to do anything with the clutch itself.

Don''t have a lift, don't have an engine hoist. Need to buy a better jack and figure out some kind of cradle for the transmission to sit on.

It isn't that heavy and without a trans jack it will probably just fall off the jack anyway. If you can bench press 75 lbs, you'll probably be just fine but another person makes it super simple.

lookslikerain
Jan 10, 2014

If you find yourself in a social situation, make threats.

Who makes good winter mats for an NC?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Must resist the call of the ND...

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

lookslikerain posted:

Who makes good winter mats for an NC?

I have some on my basement floor I am trying to get rid of that came with the car when I bought it. They are weathertech.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Oh Hey Phone, I saw you driving down Davis in the ND yesterday.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

djfooboo posted:

Must resist the call of the ND...

Right there with you. And now that the Fiata's official specs and photos are out, it's making it even harder.

I still think the Mazda overall looks better, but the allure of that 1.4 Turbo that can be piggyback ECU tuned to ~200hp for like $600 is real. If the exhaust they slap on there sounds half as mean as a 500 Abarth then god drat.

It doesn't help matters that Fiat has already said they are planning an Abarth version of the 124. It's the Mazdaspeed Miata that Mazda is too afraid to build.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Sigma X posted:

Oh Hey Phone, I saw you driving down Davis in the ND yesterday.

Get back to work.

Went to Dawat with a coworker and saw his wife and mom crossing the street to the HT on the way there, too. :v:

King-Kong
Oct 15, 2003
Leader of the Apes

Guinness posted:

Right there with you. And now that the Fiata's official specs and photos are out, it's making it even harder.

I still think the Mazda overall looks better, but the allure of that 1.4 Turbo that can be piggyback ECU tuned to ~200hp for like $600 is real. If the exhaust they slap on there sounds half as mean as a 500 Abarth then god drat.

It doesn't help matters that Fiat has already said they are planning an Abarth version of the 124. It's the Mazdaspeed Miata that Mazda is too afraid to build.

For those who believe the NB was the pinnacle of Miata design, the 124 has to be the second coming.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Engine and trans out. Pulled them out together. Had a lift and electric impact.
Took about 9 hours. This was the first time doing it.

Has some wear on the input shaft of the transmission, which makes me wonder about the inside of the trans since it was run without oil. Have a line on 2 possible replacements.

I have no idea how this thing got so loving oily. Thought we had the leaks pinned down.

This guide was phenomenal for finding grounds and dumb sensor wires.

http://did-it-myself.com/removing-a-miata-engine/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
I have an injector with a crack in the pintle cap. The crack runs along the side of the cap, up around the end of it, and down again. The crack is a little bit away from the actual fuel-spraying business end, and ends just where the rubber seal sits. It doesn't look too bad, the cap doesn't seem to want to come off, and when I push on it the crack closes up neatly. Wiggling it around (and comparing to other injectors) it doesn't seem to be loose at all.

How much of a reason for concern is this? Will this somehow affect the performance of the injector? I have another spare injector that is broken/blocked but the pintle cap seems good, can that be transplanted somehow?