Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Speaking of Roll Over Data, I saw this mentioned in a CNET article

http://www.cnet.com/news/t-mobiles-video-free-for-all-everything-you-need-to-know-about-binge-on-faq/

quote:

How does this affect my Data Stash?
Data Stash is T-Mobile's program that lets you stockpile unused data without a limit. With Binge On, T-Mobile will place a cap of 20GB. Customers have 30 days to turn off Binge On if they instead want to store unlimited data.

Bummer. With the data cap changing to 6GB, I assumed that I would be building up a stock pile of data in my data stash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Allaniis posted:

Is Unlimited Data increasing by 15 a month, or am I reading it wrong?

Where's it say this?

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

Where's it say this?

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=16775

I'm trying to find the official brochure they showed with the breakdown. I don't think Tmobile mentioned it at their event.

You do get doubled tethering data, if that is a consolation.

Allaniis fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 11, 2015

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Allaniis posted:

I'm trying to find the official brochure they showed with the breakdown. I don't think Tmobile mentioned it at their event.

https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/media-kits/un-carrier-x.htm

Scroll down to the image on the right labeled "Table: Simple Choice Amped".

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Allaniis posted:

My wife and I are on 2 lines unlimited everything for $100. Anyone know if we'll be able to keep that?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

It sounds like they are raising the prices of almost all their plans. It's not a straight ripoff / cash grab because there is more data / bonuses in the new plans to compensate, but the result is T-Mobile's pricing tiers are going to be higher now.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/1...ncarrier-event/

SeANMcBAY posted:

My wife and I are on 2 lines unlimited everything for $100. Anyone know if we'll be able to keep that?
T-Mobile's policy is to grandfather in existing customers when they introduce new plans, so as long as you don't change anything, you should expect to keep paying what you've been paying.

tonic posted:

Yeah their pricing is going up again, wasn't unlimited $70 not too long ago?
I'm grandfathered in at $70, yes, but I think it's been $80/month for some time now.

If you want unlimited for $80/month instead of $95/month, get it done in the next 3 days before November 15.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Also on the negative side, with BingeOn, data stash is limited to 20GB. If you would rather keep the year of data stash instead (like if you are on unlimited, and want to stash hotspot bits) you need to opt-out here:

http://datastashoptout.t-mobile.com/#/home

There's no downside I can see for unlimited users opting out of bingeon unless you routinely hit the 21GB soft cap in an area where it's enforced and most for your usage is video.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So I am on a Family Plan with 2 lines. One has the 3GB data plan for $10, and the other has the 1GB plan.

It sounds like I am grandfathered into this plan right now, and as long as I don't change it, I'll be paying the same monthly bill.

If my second line wanted to be upgraded to 3GB, I'll get the "family match" promotional price, which is essentially still $10 per line for 3GB. So if my wife decides she wants to stream Netflix on her phone and upgrade her plan, it's no different than if I upgrade now or later.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Looks like my number finished porting. Yay.

Logan2211
Jan 17, 2005

Qwijib0 posted:

like if you are on unlimited, and want to stash hotspot bits

I have unlimited with the 7GB (soon 14GB I guess) hotspot data. Are you saying I was able to or will be able to do rollover on unused hotspot data?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Logan2211 posted:

I have unlimited with the 7GB (soon 14GB I guess) hotspot data. Are you saying I was able to or will be able to do rollover on unused hotspot data?

I didn't think it was, but is it? I want to know too.

You can def binge your hotspot though.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Logan2211 posted:

I was always under the impression hotspot stashed based on tmo support forums posts, but I finally looked up the actual T&C and I was wrong, unlimited simple choice plans were ineligible for data stash. Hotspot only stashes if your phone data was metered too, since it was one bucket.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Is the nerd plan getting a doubling of the data cap?

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
If I call to cancel, can I pay whatever I owe over the phone, or should I pay online and then call to cancel? Went to Project Fi for the time being.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Nitrousoxide posted:

Is the nerd plan getting a doubling of the data cap?

No, only simple choice plans.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Glass of Milk posted:

If I call to cancel, can I pay whatever I owe over the phone, or should I pay online and then call to cancel? Went to Project Fi for the time being.

It would be best to pay over the phone so they can explain the how/what/when of the final charges.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Is there anything I should know before possibly switching to T-Mobile from AT&T? I'd be looking at an Unlimited plan (for myself) and a 1GB or 3GB plan for my wife.

T-Mobile finally upgraded to LTE in my area so I'd like to do a test, but I see that the rates are increasing on Sunday so that doesn't give me too much time to test... :(

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Vinlaen posted:

Is there anything I should know before possibly switching to T-Mobile from AT&T? I'd be looking at an Unlimited plan (for myself) and a 1GB or 3GB plan for my wife.

T-Mobile finally upgraded to LTE in my area so I'd like to do a test, but I see that the rates are increasing on Sunday so that doesn't give me too much time to test... :(

http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage.html

Sign up before Sunday and try the service out and see if it works. If it doesn't return the equipment and then go back to your old carrier.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

ilkhan posted:

Looks like my number finished porting. Yay.
Except SMS still isn't working.
God damnit T-Mo.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So apparently BingeOn doesn't officially start for existing customers until the 19th but you can add it from the Services menu.

Tested it out by tethering my phone and watching an episode of With Bob and David through Safari. According to the data limiter app on my computer Safari used about 1GB of data but my tethering usage on ma.t-mobile.com didn't move at all (which is odd, since obviously it took data to load Netflix' website, but maybe it ignores that too?). I double checked by then watching a video on YouTube and that showed up instantly.

Video quality is... honestly? I didn't guess for a second that it wasn't HD. There was a bit in the beginning where it's quite pixelated, but that's pretty par for the course for Netflix.

In summary, this is gonna make my show-rear end twelve hour Sunday shifts at work loving awesome.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 15, 2015

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I definitely do not have it,

Oddly enough, my website looks like this.

Maybe because I have a family plan with one on a 3GB and one on a 1GB plan?

I'll just wait until the 19th.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Will I be able to turn Binge On off and on at will, or is there a set time that I have to keep it one way or the other?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

hiddenriverninja posted:

Will I be able to turn Binge On off and on at will, or is there a set time that I have to keep it one way or the other?

From what I understand you can turn it on and off at will. There is no time restriction except for unlimited users, who will lose out on their free movie every month.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Completely different topic;

I called into T-Mobile to see if the new plans were any better for me. The first guy said he could get 10gb for each line and the 5th line could still have unlimited. That, and $30 less per month.

I finished the call, confused, but confident. T-Mobile is typically good at offering good plans.

I called back just now to ask another rep and make sure the first rep wasn't crazy. Turns out he was. The rep said it would cost me $30 MORE per month, and the 5th line would lose unlimited. Double check if it's too good to be true my friends!

EDIT: Welp, I've learned my lesson.

Beefstorm fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 17, 2015

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Tmobile reps lying through their teeth, well I never! :monocle:

I was too much of a noob back when they hosed me, because I went from lovely flip phone of 10 years to Note 2, so I was easily confused with all these stupid promo packages, data plans, voice plans, text plans and all sorts of poo poo. Basically I trusted Tmobile rep to tell me what my monthly bill would be, turns out it was about $20 more a month than I expected, and that was after I canceled the useless phone warranty/protection garbage that they generously included without my knowledge.

Moral of the story: do lots of research through online communities, never trust Tmobile reps. This should be mentioned in OP.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
So, speaking of T-mobile reps, I just want to double check what I heard recently from one. Will existing family plans w/ 1GB data get automatically bumped up to 2GB of data when the new plans go into effect, or stay at 1GB until you call to switch to the "new" plan (at the same price)? T-mo rep told me the former, but that seems weird to me.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
As a brand new customer I'm delighted by the network, price and the fact that it's the only telco in america willing to actually compete aggressively on price and service.

I'm also completely disappointed by every rep I've dealt with past the initial sale. For all its bluster, Tmo has a ways to go before it's any different than the other telcos on the customer service front. Their internal systems are clearly a hopeless mess, and every department is more than happy to lie to your face rather than deal with your problem.

Coming from Sprint, I'm used to it, but given the rhetoric from Legere, I expected more.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
At the end of the day, T-Mobile is a corporation just like any other, they want to charge the most they can and deliver the least they can get away with, the only difference is that their competition is so atrocious they seem like saints by comparison for offering even an average service for an average price.

I switched from AT&T and I've been happy with them, but I'm under no illusion they're a bunch of saints just because their CEO says bad words on YouTube.

Also, does Binge On apply to tethering? Can you tether and watch (throttled) video without using tethered data?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

PRADA SLUT posted:

At the end of the day, T-Mobile is a corporation just like any other, they want to charge the most they can and deliver the least they can get away with, the only difference is that their competition is so atrocious they seem like saints by comparison for offering even an average service for an average price.

Also, does Binge On apply to tethering? Can you tether and watch (throttled) video without using tethered data?

yes, when bingeon is active using any of the services over tether does not affect your quota and is subject to the same resolution restrictions.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Qwijib0 posted:

yes, when bingeon is active using any of the services over tether does not affect your quota and is subject to the same resolution restrictions.

That's weird, I just tried tethering and loading a youtube video on my computer and I could play in 1080p. It's set to ON in my Tmob settings.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

That's weird, I just tried tethering and loading a youtube video on my computer and I could play in 1080p. It's set to ON in my Tmob settings.
I dont think its active for another couple days.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Youtube is not an approved "Binge On" service at this point.

Edit:

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I'm also completely disappointed by every rep I've dealt with past the initial sale. For all its bluster, Tmo has a ways to go before it's any different than the other telcos on the customer service front. Their internal systems are clearly a hopeless mess, and every department is more than happy to lie to your face rather than deal with your problem.

A few years ago, just prior to the Legere stuff, my mom called T-mobile to get their phones unlocked prior to a trip to europe. Somehow the rep managed to add a $50 data plan to my wife's line. She had to call like three times to get them to take it off and refund the charges despite the fact that my wife's phone at the time was an ancient flip phone and I could see she'd used zero data on it. My experiences since then have been more positive, but that really soured me on ever calling them.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 18, 2015

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm under no illusions here. Every other developed country except canada has better, cheaper wireless than we do. It's just nice to be screwed slightly less hard on plans. It's weird that the entire telco industry seems dead set on maintaining bottom of the barrel customer service though. It would be interesting to see someone build an MVNO based on great customer care rather than competing on price alone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I'm under no illusions here. Every other developed country except canada has better, cheaper wireless than we do. It's just nice to be screwed slightly less hard on plans. It's weird that the entire telco industry seems dead set on maintaining bottom of the barrel customer service though. It would be interesting to see someone build an MVNO based on great customer care rather than competing on price alone.

T-Mobile used to be that around 2008-2011. Legit awesome customer service. But they bled customers like crazy, then the ATT merger happened, and they shuttered a bunch of call centers. Levers def turned around their business, and I'm sure the service is better than the days when they had he merger hanging overhead, but I doubt they'll get back to that level of service again.

Main point: say what you want, service is def important, but it doesn't keep customers all on its own.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
T-Mobile nearly died out when the iPhone came out.

It was already a hard market, but then AT&T got an enormous surge of customers (many who are still on AT&T).

Nobody predicted the success of the iPhone to change the landscape of phone service, and it hit small carriers the hardest. Even Verizon had a drop the first few years as people liked the iPhone more than their carrier.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Has anyone tried out the new LTE Cell Spot that T-mobile offers for a $25 deposit? The LTE service in my office is pretty spottty and I'm considering testing it out.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

tonic posted:

Has anyone tried out the new LTE Cell Spot that T-mobile offers for a $25 deposit? The LTE service in my office is pretty spottty and I'm considering testing it out.

I have it. Calls are crystal clear. Except for this glaring problem of my voice dropping for the other person for 5 seconds at a time.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So how can I tell for sure if I have Binge On or not?

I posted this earlier in the thread, but it's the 19th and my plan still shows up as this

Wouldn't switching to the other plan change my plan remove my grandfathered in status, which will raise my monthly bill by $5/mo for my 3GB 6GB data package?

I have Binge On as a toggle in my media preferences, but I assume that it's only for the quality, not the data free streaming.

Edit: Even my data plan option say I am on a 3GB plan. Wasn't all 3GB plans supposed to be upgraded to 6GB?

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 19, 2015

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

tonic posted:

Beefstorm posted:

I have it. Calls are crystal clear. Except for this glaring problem of my voice dropping for the other person for 5 seconds at a time.

I've had nothing but success with WiFi calling-- at home with the cellspot and at work on an enterprise network with both a One M7, and an iPhone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Qwijib0 posted:

I've had nothing but success with WiFi calling-- at home with the cellspot and at work on an enterprise network with both a One M7, and an iPhone.

To be the complete opposite, I have terrible experience with WiFi calling. Calls just drop a lot, and the other person doesn't hear me half the time. I've tried it a few times and each time end up turning it off after 1-2 calls. This is on an iPhone 6S.