Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

peter gabriel posted:

Feels good man

What even is your job? It sounds magical. I spend a lot of time hanging around Londons startup scene. Listening to people's ideas on how they're going to do things on the technical side is massively amusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Madcosby posted:

Havent followed the thread in a while, anyone got a short synopsis of recent events so that I can ketchup?

wakka wakka

The Anniversary Sale stream is in a few hours so we're about to see some real pocket fleecing.

Alpha 2.0 has been Any Day Now for the past few weeks.

Derek may or may not crash the anniversary party.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress, I want this game to come out already, if it's anything like they promised it will be the griefing opportunities will be endless.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Yup, I suspect that like with most MMOs, a lot of these issues will have an initial design that will be iterated on, changed, and fixed as the alpha and betas progress. I recall that the original design for Age of Conan insisted that players would have hard collision boxes until a Goon spent a day on a bridge knocking people off it with his horse. And nothing could be done about it.

They removed the hard collision boxes after that.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Mark Hamill talks Star Citizen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQQPzHerrPE

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Tahirovic posted:

Don't worry you're a highlight of this thread. Also I think one of those people tried to contradict me for saying ED didn't have multiplayer at launch... by posting a video of a livestream from november. :shrug: For some reason E:D fanboys are just like SC fanboys, the only difference is that they have a game to play and don't have to spend all their time posting.

But... E:D did have multiplayer at launch. It didn't have squads or an easy way to organise friends, but it had multiplayer.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TTerrible posted:

What even is your job? It sounds magical. I spend a lot of time hanging around Londons startup scene. Listening to people's ideas on how they're going to do things on the technical side is massively amusing.

My company is mad, not in a OMG WHACKY way but just in the diversity of the work done, example, this couple of weeks or so I have been involved in:

2 website builds
API integration from Amazon to a courier
Sourced local street food vendors for an event
Popcorn machine
Promoted 3 live music events
Designed a couple of logos
Designed and presented to a record label for album artwork
Designed and presented a range of product labels for a cosmetics company
Created social media for a VR game company
Music and video production, corporate vid, good music

And a ton of regular weekly stuff involving all kinds of stuff from customer support to photography

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

I totally like that he admits to watching the bluray/dvd extras of movies. That makes me happy.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Writing it down, I realise I work too much

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

My company is mad, not in a OMG WHACKY way but just in the diversity of the work done, example, this couple of weeks or so I have been involved in:

Shoreditch by any chance?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'll say this though, the higher up a company you go the more idiocy you find, 100% of the time

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Hav posted:

Shoreditch by any chance?

No :D

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Yeah you sound like you're in Shoreditch.

Come to the Sebright Arms, bring an air horn.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
See now I wish I was in Shoreditch

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
sounds stressful

take time to do you man

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Romes128 posted:

Nobody but booch knows the amount. People were just guessing

THANK you.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Alan Smithee posted:

sounds stressful

take time to do you man

It can be, but usually a healthy air of 'gently caress it' gets me through

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
So how's Star Citizen? All good I presume?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
The sad, sad thing is that I'm a croberts for a much smaller and, eventually, just as huge in scope a project as this.

I designed it to build out from a solid core of work, but... it really is terrifying to look at how much I have scheduled eventually.

I'd like to say I've learned a lot from this thread, but... really, not that much. It's been mostly a case of extreme perplexity of 'wait. why are they doing this _this_ way?' the more I see of it.

I guess it's just a cautionary tale.

On the other hand, I've worked in movies... I said I was a croberts... and some of the stories I've heard about projects that eventually came out and did amazingly well, are just as terrifying and badly-configured.

I dunno. I just know I have work to do and a lot of people who put their faith in me.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 19, 2015

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

MeLKoR posted:

gently caress, I want this game to come out already, if it's anything like they promised it will be the griefing opportunities will be endless.

This is why I haven't cashed out my droopy lil' Mustang Alpha that cost me a half a bottle of drinkable wine. I am going to grief the ever loving gently caress out of fat crybabies and post the videos on youtube.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

When is this thing happening today? Whats the link for the live stream?

I need to get my body ready.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Mustache Ride posted:

When is this thing happening today? Whats the link for the live stream?

I need to get my body ready.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15065-Anniversary-2015-Livestream

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

peter gabriel posted:

2 website builds
API integration from Amazon to a courier
Sourced local street food vendors for an event
Popcorn machine
Promoted 3 live music events
Designed a couple of logos
Designed and presented to a record label for album artwork
Designed and presented a range of product labels for a cosmetics company
Created social media for a VR game company
Music and video production, corporate vid, good music

And a ton of regular weekly stuff involving all kinds of stuff from customer support to photography

You need to offer your services to Croberts and get your slice of that sweet, sweet whale blubber money.

theparag0n
May 5, 2007

INITIATE STANDING FLIRTATION PROTOCOL beep boop

TTerrible posted:

Yeah you sound like you're in Shoreditch.

Come to the Sebright Arms, bring an air horn.

Gotta spend them bitcoins somewhere.

:gary: PARRRRRRRRRRP

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

theparag0n posted:

Gotta spend them bitcoins somewhere.

:gary: PARRRRRRRRRRP

The Sebright doesn't take bitcoin, but the Pembury Tavern does :ssh:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

LuiCypher posted:

You need to offer your services to Croberts and get your slice of that sweet, sweet whale blubber money.

I would ruin his life, accidentally

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

And that is the really funny part about all this. CIG have taken 4 years to try and get a proof of concept demo done, they really have not even started making the game. The most common excuse as to why its taking CIG so long is that the scope is so large, yet CIG have not even started on most of that increased scope.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

The fact that you typed this out already makes you NOT be that much of a Croberts. The key thing with him is that he really doesn't seem to have any self-awareness with which to reign himself in. People keep telling him, that he should just stick to movies, since that seems to be what he's really after, but he still wants to make movies that pose themselves as videogames, so as to get back into Hollywood or wherever via a path that's moreso popular and open to the easy money of crowdfunding ect.

You, on the other hand, seem otherwise simply by being able to admit this much to others and yourself.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 19, 2015

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
If game existed questions:

So, let's say someone steals your ship while you're out of it, thief get the ship, no?

But if you have insurance, do you get the ship back? Or a clone?

If the original ship, then stealing is non-existant.

If a clone, can't you just let your friends steal your $1500 spaceship and just get copies of it for free?

If game exists END COMMUNICATION

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

peter gabriel posted:

So how's Star Citizen? All good I presume?

Today is sale day, no gameplay or other features revealed.

However Mark Hamill did give an interview to somebody or other so I guess give all your money to Chris Roberts.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Madcosby posted:

So, let's say someone steals your ship while you're out of it, thief get the ship, no?

If a clone, can't you just let your friends steal your $1500 spaceship and just get copies of it for free?

Its a copy,

Supposedly there is some all knowing insurance agency that knows when you have been naughty or nice. Also the cost of making an "illegal" ship "legal" is supposed to be almost the cost of a new ship anyway.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Madcosby posted:

You get whatever you had insured. If you have just hull insurance, you get the hull. If you have hull+module insurance you'll get the modules plus the hull, etc. It's kinda similar to how EVE works.

Also, yes, they'll be tracking that. Ships have VIN-equivelents, stolen ships will not be usable in areas where there is a heavy presence of NPC/police (called the UEE in this game). If they see players laundering ships in universe, and it's something that is not difficult to track, they've said they will enforce consequences, like the insurance claims being canceled.

This is a bit of speculation on my part, but I'd love it if they added a slow back-end tracking job like Uplink had. Where a job is dispatched for insurance losses (in Uplink's case, an IP track) that tries to identify fraud. In Uplink the 'FBI' would slow investigate the hacks you did by tracing IPs in the access logs. If you didn't remove the access logs, or used the same systems too many times, they'd slowly work their way back to tracking you down.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

1500 posted:

Its a copy,

Supposedly there is some all knowing insurance agency that knows when you have been naughty or nice. Also the cost of making an "illegal" ship "legal" is supposed to be almost the cost of a new ship anyway.

hmm an insurance agency sounds like it'll be exploited/abused endlessly by all ends.

it's as if there wasn't a lot of thought put into this

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
does this game have a mini-game for filling out insurance paper-work?

like burger time but with insurance.

I guarantee someone has pitched and made concept art for this somewhere in the bowels of CIG.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

TTerrible posted:

The Sebright doesn't take bitcoin, but the Pembury Tavern does :ssh:

Imagine paying for a pint of craft ale in bitcoin: in the ten minutes it takes for the transaction to go through the market would have fluctuated wildly several times.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Loiosh posted:

You get whatever you had insured. If you have just hull insurance, you get the hull. If you have hull+module insurance you'll get the modules plus the hull, etc. It's kinda similar to how EVE works.

Also, yes, they'll be tracking that. Ships have VIN-equivelents, stolen ships will not be usable in areas where there is a heavy presence of NPC/police (called the UEE in this game). If they see players laundering ships in universe, and it's something that is not difficult to track, they've said they will enforce consequences, like the insurance claims being canceled.

This is a bit of speculation on my part, but I'd love it if they added a slow back-end tracking job like Uplink had. Where a job is dispatched for insurance losses (in Uplink's case, an IP track) that tries to identify fraud. In Uplink the 'FBI' would slow investigate the hacks you did by tracing IPs in the access logs. If you didn't remove the access logs, or used the same systems too many times, they'd slowly work their way back to tracking you down.

Will the insurance agency track chat logs and out-of-game conversations?

If we agree on these forums to take your $1500 ship to Planet X, get out, and I steal it, and you get the insurance copy, will they cancel the insurance for our fraud made on an off-game forum? Let's assume our characters are not in the same clan or have any in-game ties.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Sarsapariller posted:

Today is sale day, no gameplay or other features revealed.

However Mark Hamill did give an interview to somebody or other so I guess give all your money to Chris Roberts.

Full steam ahead, great!

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Loiosh posted:

Yup, I suspect that like with most MMOs, a lot of these issues will have an initial design that will be iterated on, changed, and fixed as the alpha and betas progress. I recall that the original design for Age of Conan insisted that players would have hard collision boxes until a Goon spent a day on a bridge knocking people off it with his horse. And nothing could be done about it.

They removed the hard collision boxes after that.

Doing poo poo like this is why I'm still a bit hopeful about the game. I don't expect the game to be good; but I do expect that it will be really easy to troll the hard-core roleplayers by breaking their immersion.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Imagine paying for a pint of craft ale in bitcoin: in the ten minutes it takes for the transaction to go through the market would have fluctuated wildly several times.

I've never done it (or been in there) but friends have for novelty value. From what I remember they sit a fixed exchange rate at the start of each day and don't wait for the transaction to finish before pouring. The btc aren't really used to pay for the beer they just go in a pot and the pint is written off. I think. It's not a serious use of BTC (hint: because there aren't any) it is just a fun gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Madcosby posted:

Will the insurance agency track chat logs and out-of-game conversations?

If we agree on these forums to take your $1500 ship to Planet X, get out, and I steal it, and you get the insurance copy, will they cancel the insurance for our fraud made on an off-game forum? Let's assume our characters are not in the same clan our have any in-game ties.

I don't know where you're getting this insurance company thing from. They're not too concerned about people doing this to give away a ship or two. This is a concern for someone who loses 5 to 10 ships.

They expect ships to be hijacked and stolen and have gameplay ideas for how to reward and punish those activities. It doesn't matter if it's your buddy. He's still having a ship that cannot be used in UEE space (which is great for pirates/mercs). He'll also have to replace the avionics and computer systems since those modules are locked to the owner.

It's not something they're worried about. Also, the larger the ship is, the longer it takes to replace. Someone losing an Idris is going to be suffering that loss longer than someone replacing a little Aurora. It'll make some of this self-limiting.

• Locked thread