Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

My bet is that Kastein is driven by inner demons to replace rotting wood. Once the entire house is sound, he's going to start adding to it bit by bit, until it turns into a sprawling Winchester-style house filled with stairways to nowhere, trap doors, and walled-off wings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I don't keep track of it, which results in me running around from project to project like an ADHD 9 year old with a sugar high.

Also, I finished the sheathing last night. Once I read the window installation instructions I'll be putting the window in tonight hopefully.

Ended up using two pieces per side, not ideal but it means not buying more ZIPsystem.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

There will be a bookcase door too. You pull on a bronze bust of Lowtax and then the door opens to reveal the gooniest of all hacker dens. Quad monitor setup with a dedicated SA feed, freezer full of hot pockets, and a mountain dew dispenser.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I heart bacon posted:

There will be a bookcase door too. You pull on a bronze bust of Lowtax and then the door opens to reveal the gooniest of all hacker dens. Quad monitor setup with a dedicated SA feed, freezer full of hot pockets, and a mountain dew dispenser.

And here I thought that's just what his kitchen was going to look like.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Also, I finished the sheathing last night. Once I read the window installation instructions I'll be putting the window in tonight hopefully.

Good luck getting that window up the ladder!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

I heart bacon posted:

Only quad? poo poo man, I have five dual output video cards and do a lot of CAD work.

Mountain dew and hot pockets is gross though.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Good luck getting that window up the ladder!

I've had a couple weeks to think about it and I have several possible plans of attack.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Do they start with building a bigger pole crane with the 5 ton as the base?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

kastein posted:

I've had a couple weeks to think about it and I have several possible plans of attack.

Are any of them "Affix a pulley to the eave at the ridge and hoist it"?

Because I feel like that's the best plan in terms of goon-entertainment per kastein-post.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Plastik posted:

Because I feel like that's the best plan in terms of goon-entertainment per kastein-post.

Especially if The Roadmistress videos.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Bring the window up inside the house and pull it in using suction cup handles?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Geirskogul posted:

Honestly, bringing the window up through the indoors, then pushing it out diagonally through the window, with someone on a ladder outside to help maneuver it, is probably a decent way to get the window up to the second floor. Saves you from trying to carry the window up the ladder, anyway. I wouldn't want to try a window that large with only one person, certainly.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
A clamp frame that holds it top and bottom, attached to a pair of ropes that run from some weights through a couple of bent rebar stakes, up through a pair of pulleys hung from the gable hook, and down to a ratcheting winch. Put a couple of skateboard wheels on the house side of the frame if needed. That's a one-man setup that would just take some rope, some 2x4s, a couple pieces of rebar, a 2-channel pulley and a comealong winch, and random demo/auto debris for the weighted end of the ropes.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
How tall can you extend the Comanche's crane?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The crane goes up about 10 feet from bumper height when it's vertical, so figure 10 to 11 feet AGL maximum. That's a few feet below the window sill, which means I can't use it for this.

Liquid Communism posted:

Do they start with building a bigger pole crane with the 5 ton as the base?

It actually already fits the 5 ton, I built it to fit both. The problem is, the 5 ton's still dead. And will remain so for some time.

Safety Dance posted:

Especially if The Roadmistress videos.

It's dark out by the time I get home from work these days sadly. So no video. If anyone feels like checking, you'll note that the EXIF data for any of the daylight pictures taken in the last month or so is around 8AM (right as I'm leaving for work.)

Plastik posted:

I've been debating something like that actually. As long as I can find a good way to attach the ropes to the window, it's most likely the safest method, since I can hoist it up, get it into position, then leave it hanging there while I screw the nailing flange to the wall.

Geirskogul posted:

This I have considered, but it's a great way to drop a $500 window 10+ feet and then buy another. It's got a nailing flange, so it won't fit through the opening nicely, which will result in either me falling out of the window opening with the window, or just the window falling out, depending on how much I panic and try to prevent it from falling.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

You could rent a cherry picker for an afternoon...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It'd have to be a 4x4 one because the only way it's getting into the yard is via one of several ~15-20 degree dirt grades. I'll have to look into it, but I'm probably doing it tonight via An Assortment Of Hillrod Methods.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Just heap mounds of unhauled garbage against the side of the house until you have a navigable slope to the window height. You can't get those companies to haul away your trash anyway, right?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I just built that wall, I'm not piling bagged plaster debris against it.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

kastein posted:

It'd have to be a 4x4 one because the only way it's getting into the yard is via one of several ~15-20 degree dirt grades. I'll have to look into it, but I'm probably doing it tonight via An Assortment Of Hillrod Methods.

That's not exactly an unusual condition at construction sites. 4WD boom cranes and rough terrain scissor lifts are not uncommon, although with the tires they put on them, I wouldn't be surprised if even the 2WD ones can handle that.

They're not cheap, though. It looks like Hertz would rent me a rough terrain scissor lift for $230/day, plus who knows how much (I'm guessing $100-200) to deliver it and pick it up. They've also got manual personnel lifts for a mere $70/day - I don't know if those are even sufficient for installing a window, though.

kastein posted:

I just built that wall, I'm not piling bagged plaster debris against it.

Well what the hell is the point of overbuilding it like that if you're not going to take advantage of it!?

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

kastein posted:

Only quad? poo poo man, I have five dual output video cards and do a lot of CAD work.

I could run an entire ethanol plant with 4. Constant screen switching, but still. 5 Duals? I'm so jealous of that for some reason.

kastein posted:

Mountain dew and hot pockets is gross though.

Used to work with a guy that lived on that. Gets you through a night shift sometimes, but not every day.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The window didn't go in last night because I forgot to buy a few things I needed. At this point I'm debating building a temporary work platform from cheap lumber. For once I'm wishing we hadn't burned all the old 2x8s from the old master bedroom floor joists... alas, they have been converted to smoke.

I heart bacon posted:

I could run an entire ethanol plant with 4. Constant screen switching, but still. 5 Duals? I'm so jealous of that for some reason.

Well, basically, I do embedded computer system design as both a hobby and professionally. When it comes to looking at a monstrous schematic and an intricate PCB design simultaneously while trying to place components and route traces on the board in the most efficient (and also EMI/RFI resistant) manner, nothing helps quite like an assload of pixels at your disposal - 3D accel is almost irrelevant. I only have four monitors on the machine right now, the rest are in the attic, but recently bought the extra video cards so I can upgrade to 8 (or 10 at some point.) They're just old secondhand 18" monitors, but even so, 8 of those will give me a total resolution of 4096x2560 for like $300 all-in.

kastein fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 19, 2015

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I have 4 dell 19 4:3s in my kitchen that you and chris need to fight over so I can get rid of them.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Those the ones with composite input? Daddy needs to build a mini arcade.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

Slow is Fast posted:

I have 4 dell 19 4:3s in my kitchen that you and chris need to fight over so I can get rid of them.

Was it the dell 19s that were basically a trinitron screen? I'd grab one of those. I still have my old viewsonic 19 that can handle 1600X1200 and look crystal clear.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Have you considered buying some used scaffolding and reselling it when you're done?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I have, but right now all my trucks are dead on the lawn (:banjo:) and I have no way to get stuff like that home conveniently.

I've got A Plan for putting the window in tonight. Tuesday I didn't have all the materials, Wednesday and Thursday it was raining, tonight's looking good.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

dreesemonkey posted:

Have you considered buying some used scaffolding and reselling it when you're done?

Or find he dirtiest looking rental place for scaffolding. It's surprisingly cheap to get for a month or so, like single digit dollars per individual piece. Most of the places will drop off and pick it up for you.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Scaffolding is cheap to rent.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I have about 80 hours worth of poo poo to get done this weekend, want the window installed by this Tuesday night (i.e. several days ago), and am pretty sure they can't have it sitting there by the time I get home from work in 6-7 hours.

When I get around to stripping the siding off the rest of the house and doing all the siding and windows, I'll definitely get scaffolding. Now? I really can't afford to wait for it to show up.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's a shame your vehicles are all hosed, because you could build a work deck with some ratchet straps and a board or three across the roofs of two jeeps nose to nose.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
When kastein is finally finished there is going to be an abrupt end to his posts on the forums. A week later a goon is going to post a scan of an article in the local newspaper about a homeowner who shot himself. The article will mention how the police found two pieces of paper. One is a list of building supplies and a final total. The other is an estimate of what it would have cost to demolish the house and build a new one from scratch.

The totals on both are exactly the same number!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Blistex posted:

When kastein is finally finished there is going to be an abrupt end to his posts on the forums. A week later a goon is going to post a scan of an article in the local newspaper about a homeowner who shot himself. The article will mention how the police found two pieces of paper. One is a list of building supplies and a final total. The other is an estimate of what it would have cost to demolish the house and build a new one from scratch.

yeah but house of theseus lets you spread the costs waaay out over time which you generally cant do with contractors i imagine

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Splizwarf posted:

It's a shame your vehicles are all hosed, because you could build a work deck with some ratchet straps and a board or three across the roofs of two jeeps nose to nose.

Considered this, but there's still most of a ramshackle porch in the way which kinda interferes with parking the vehicle in the right spot, and it'd only gain me about 5 feet when I need about 10.

Blistex posted:

Even if it cost the same, I'd do it this way because I've saved ~53k (and counting) on rent while living in this hellhole as I fix it, another few grand on an architect, etc.

Pretty sure my current plan for building scaffolding will cost about $100 in materials, most of them reusable for other projects afterward and half of this money already spent on timber I ended up not needing.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Plus you can't put a monetary value on this thread.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Plus you can't put a monetary value on this thread.

Exactly this. I voted 5 and the thread told me that I'm a real gem! And that's pretty neat, too. You can tell that it's a 5 because of the way it is.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The window is now in! And not broken and I didn't die.

Worlds most sketchy scaffolding/egyptian pyramid construction ramp/Ben Carson grain silo elevator:

If you look closely, MY GIRLFRIEND's "I dunno about this, dude..." expression is barely visible in the window opening. Without her help I never would have succeeded and would be dead under a broken window on the ground.

Window in opening! Not secured. To avoid either of us dying or the window breaking I temporarily nailed that catch block up at the top. It worked perfectly.

Also I was tempted by the siren song of a radial arm saw after dicking around cutting bevels in 2x6s with a circ saw the last few weekends. I should have bought this a month ago!

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
The ladder I built for my treehouse when I was 10 was safer that that.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Jesus, that's scary-looking, but congratulations on getting the window in without becoming a statistic in an OSHA report.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
gently caress the haters, I think that's a pretty good solution. I probably would've tried to get a rail on the far side but overall it looks effective with no excess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
TBH any of Ken's "rickety looking poo poo" is probably built better than I would make in that situation. Good solution :)