Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Well, it's not a full-fledged jointer, and I can only joint boards that are at most as tall as my tallest straight bit, which isn't very tall (pretty much just limited to 3/4"-thick boards). And the fences aren't as long as what you'd find on a real jointer, so it's easy to accidentally wobble a bit and ruin your edge. But a jigged router table, plus a thickness planer, can definitely turn rough 4/4 boards into S2S1E boards, and the tools take up a lot less space (and probably cost less) than a jointer would.

Appreciate the info. So far i've been getting by with buying s2s and trusting that that the mill gave me at least one good edge to rip off of. I like the idea of having a small dedicated jointer for the odd glue up project here and there, but it probably wont be something that I use all that often. The good news is that now I know I have an option in a pinch (router table) and all it'll cost me is a couple plastic washer... so thank you. I still think i'm going to keep my eye out for a small used CL jointer though.

Sointenly fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
If all you need is edge jointing, you can build a table saw sled for that. It's what I use.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I bought one of those Harbor Freight tool set in a box deals at their tent sale. 110 pieces I think. I was going to use it as a throw it in the trunk for emergencies kit and also for going to the junkyard. I took it on a junkyard run yesterday and found that the 10mm AND 3/8 sockets are not true to size. Not a huge problem as I have a bunch of 10mm sockets laying around, but annoying because that is a super common size for car stuff so I was unable to get a part I was looking for.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Well I won an ebay auction for a bunch of random machinist tools, only I don't remember bidding on it. I do remember looking at the auction and I haven't been drunk lately so guess the ol' brain finally slipped a gear or the mad cow is setting in. Brands were not identified or identifiable from the pictures. Last time I took a risk like that I gained a bitchin' Lufkin combo square for about $5 shipped so we'll see what (if any) goodies are in this batch. It includes about half a dozen calipers and some squares plus a few things that look like junk but I don't think I got hurt in the deal.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Alright, here's the stuff from the auction, for $20 to my door I think I did okay. I held the combo square and triangle back to back and they appear to be square.

Main stuff:
Craftsman inspection mirror
Stanley combo square USA
Metal triangle
Starrett dividers 2ea.
Starrett inside calipers 2ea.
Starrett depth gauge
Starrett No.22-C 59° drill point gauge
Unmarked outside calipers
Unmarked center punches 2ea. (?? Not sure)
1/32" punch USA LM
90/45/30/60/15 gauge
1/4" bit holders
Other flotsam and jetsam.

Can anyone identify?

Rivets?

Thing in the lower right is a cutter for a lathe but the rest, I have no idea.

wormil fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 6, 2015

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Those rivets are drive or spiral rivets, used for decorative work, like holding a nameplate to a wooden base.

The metal 30/60/90 is a shop made square, as is the angle gauge.

The plate with the round holes marked with sizes looks like a holder for a countersink set or something like that.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

The weird shape on a handle just to the right of the punches is a profile gauge, I think. No use to you unless you need to inspect that profile.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

sharkytm posted:

Those rivets are drive or spiral rivets, used for decorative work, like holding a nameplate to a wooden base.

The metal 30/60/90 is a shop made square, as is the angle gauge.

The plate with the round holes marked with sizes looks like a holder for a countersink set or something like that.

Thanks, spiral rivet led me to "drive screw" and you are spot on about their use. The 2 little rectangular bars in the last pic look like pulley keys but they are dovetailed. They have numbers on them but I didn't google it. The stuff in the last pic will probably get tossed in my odds and ends box.

Karia posted:

The weird shape on a handle just to the right of the punches is a profile gauge, I think. No use to you unless you need to inspect that profile.

Actually that is part of a drill point gauge, for measuring the angle of a drill point after you sharpen it. And I didn't know what it was before yesterday. It's missing the ruler. I'll probably throw it on ebay and see if I can get a few bucks out of it unless I can find a replacement ruler.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
If I recall correctly, all but one of the Harbor Freight welders are supposed to be junk. Which one is supposed to be the "only sort of junk" model?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Splizwarf posted:

If I recall correctly, all but one of the Harbor Freight welders are supposed to be junk. Which one is supposed to be the "only sort of junk" model?

IIRC, There was a discussion about this recently in the Blacksmithing thread. I'm not a welder so can't offer any advice.

My question: I'm going to buy an automatic center punch for wood and metal and I'm wondering if it's worth the extra scratch to buy a Starrett? I can get a Starrett 818 for about $32, a General for $18, General Heavy Duty for $24, or there are some used punches on ebay.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

wormil posted:

IIRC, There was a discussion about this recently in the Blacksmithing thread. I'm not a welder so can't offer any advice.

My question: I'm going to buy an automatic center punch for wood and metal and I'm wondering if it's worth the extra scratch to buy a Starrett? I can get a Starrett 818 for about $32, a General for $18, General Heavy Duty for $24, or there are some used punches on ebay.

If you can wait a few weeks, the Starrett is sold by Zoro, and with their Cyber Monday coupon (probably 30% off), it'll be cheap. http://www.zoro.com/starrett-automatic-center-punches/g/00061581/ (Their site sucks, so I found it for you)
They have it for $32.25, so it'll be $22.57 then. They sell Starrett at MSRP, like everyone else, but the coupons are awesome.

JimbobDobalina
Aug 29, 2005

I will munch on your endocrine system
Does anyone have an opinion on King Canada mitre saws?
I've been looking at dewalt and makita, specifically a 12" dual bevel non slider, and was waiting for a black friday deal of some kind at home depot or amazon or something.
Then I saw these:
https://www.kmstools.com/king-canada-12-sliding-mitre-saw-96077

I will be mostly cutting 2x4 and 2x6 to build a fence and a shed to start with, and also cutting baseboard and trim - all pretty light duty, these are long term projects.
I mostly want repeatability for cutting the angles - any idea how good the angle detents are - if I set 45 one way, then flip the blade over to 45 the other way - will the pieces actually mate to a 90 angle?
Also, how sturdy are the rails - any sideways flex?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

sharkytm posted:

If you can wait a few weeks, the Starrett is sold by Zoro, and with their Cyber Monday coupon (probably 30% off), it'll be cheap. http://www.zoro.com/starrett-automatic-center-punches/g/00061581/ (Their site sucks, so I found it for you)
They have it for $32.25, so it'll be $22.57 then. They sell Starrett at MSRP, like everyone else, but the coupons are awesome.

I can wait. Nice tip, thanks.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

sharkytm posted:

I was going to say it looked like a depth stop, like on a rigid miter saw.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

JimbobDobalina posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on King Canada mitre saws?
I've been looking at dewalt and makita, specifically a 12" dual bevel non slider, and was waiting for a black friday deal of some kind at home depot or amazon or something.
Then I saw these:
https://www.kmstools.com/king-canada-12-sliding-mitre-saw-96077

I will be mostly cutting 2x4 and 2x6 to build a fence and a shed to start with, and also cutting baseboard and trim - all pretty light duty, these are long term projects.
I mostly want repeatability for cutting the angles - any idea how good the angle detents are - if I set 45 one way, then flip the blade over to 45 the other way - will the pieces actually mate to a 90 angle?
Also, how sturdy are the rails - any sideways flex?

I don't know about the saw specifically but I think king Canada is sort of along the lines of harbor freight. Kms carries General which is their top end brand then below that is General International and then below that is King Canada which is like their house brand.

If you wait for the big sale weekend every month they often have sales people demoing products. Not sure if they ever demo King stuff though

JimbobDobalina
Aug 29, 2005

I will munch on your endocrine system

Squibbles posted:

I don't know about the saw specifically but I think king Canada is sort of along the lines of harbor freight. Kms carries General which is their top end brand then below that is General International and then below that is King Canada which is like their house brand.

If you wait for the big sale weekend every month they often have sales people demoing products. Not sure if they ever demo King stuff though

Thanks. I ended up getting a 10" dewalt from home depot. Turns out that despite their pricing policy clearly stating that they won't match online prices, they actually will. Amazon had the dw713 for 200, $40 less than HD, they matched it with no worries.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

JimbobDobalina posted:

Thanks. I ended up getting a 10" dewalt from home depot. Turns out that despite their pricing policy clearly stating that they won't match online prices, they actually will. Amazon had the dw713 for 200, $40 less than HD, they matched it with no worries.

Nice. I've always heard HD varies heavily store to store on their policies

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I don't have a socket set, and I figure I should probably get one with Black Friday sales coming up. Does it matter if I get a metric or SAE? I have a Toyota 4Runner, for what that's worth.

Maybe something like these?
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-10-pc-6-pt-3-8-in-standard/p-00934553000P
and
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-11-pc-6-pt-metric-socket-1-4/p-00934861000P

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Nov 18, 2015

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

If your car is of "import" manufacture or made more recently, you need a metric set. That said, I would get a 3/8ths drive set, not 1/4".

If you want something from sears, this one might serve you.

If you have a Harbor Freight Tools store near you, there sockets and ratchets are quite good for the price point as well.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MRC48B posted:

If your car is of "import" manufacture or made more recently, you need a metric set. That said, I would get a 3/8ths drive set, not 1/4".

If you want something from sears, this one might serve you.

If you have a Harbor Freight Tools store near you, there sockets and ratchets are quite good for the price point as well.
It doesn't necessarily have to be from Sears - there's a Home Depot and Lowe's that are closer - but I figured Craftsman is a safe choice?

I do have a Harbor Freight about 25 min away.

Do I want a proper ratchet + socket set or would something like this be good? http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3175856

Oh man, this rotating ratchet looks so cool: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-8-inch-drive-mach-series-ratchet/p-00944578000P

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 18, 2015

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't have a socket set, and I figure I should probably get one with Black Friday sales coming up. Does it matter if I get a metric or SAE? I have a Toyota 4Runner, for what that's worth.

and

Since you added in the information about your car, I'm assuming you want the tools to do some basic work to your car. If that's the case, I would definitely look into a bit more of a comprehensive tool set than the basic 10 piece type sets. You'll be thankful later that you have a full set and aren't constantly running out to pick up new tools for each job. A good socket set is essential for any auto repair.

Sears has some great "mechanic's tool" sets in their black friday ad. There's one for $45 that is a 108pc set that I would considered the minimum to get if I were starting out. If you're willing to spend quite a bit more, the $150 263pc mechanic's set is fantastic, and I have multiple friends that swear by it. Granted, that's a a hell of a lot more than the $20 you were originally looking at spending, and may be way more than you need.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Falco posted:

Since you added in the information about your car, I'm assuming you want the tools to do some basic work to your car. If that's the case, I would definitely look into a bit more of a comprehensive tool set than the basic 10 piece type sets. You'll be thankful later that you have a full set and aren't constantly running out to pick up new tools for each job. A good socket set is essential for any auto repair.

Sears has some great "mechanic's tool" sets in their black friday ad. There's one for $45 that is a 108pc set that I would considered the minimum to get if I were starting out. If you're willing to spend quite a bit more, the $150 263pc mechanic's set is fantastic, and I have multiple friends that swear by it. Granted, that's a a hell of a lot more than the $20 you were originally looking at spending, and may be way more than you need.
Yeah, my 4Runner is a '97, so the need for repairs is likely to get worse.

I could probably swing the $45 for that 108 piece set, but I'm definitely not eager enough for the $150 set. Here's the 108 piece set if anyone else wants to provide feedback: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-108-pc-mechanics-tools-set/p-00938108000P

And for good measure, here's the 263 piece set: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-263-pc-mechanics-tool-set/p-00940263000P

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 18, 2015

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Josh Lyman posted:

and

Japanese cars, hell most cars are metric. 10 and 13 will get a lot of usage. Iirc, sears still does lifetime warranty replacement?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Mr. Mambold posted:

Japanese cars, hell most cars are metric. 10 and 13 will get a lot of usage. Iirc, sears still does lifetime warranty replacement?

Unfortunately Craftsman no longer means lifetime replacement. I think it depends on the type of tool. I took in a 30 year old Craftsman stapler and they told me they no longer warranty staplers for life but gave me a "courtesy" replacement.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

wormil posted:

Unfortunately Craftsman no longer means lifetime replacement. I think it depends on the type of tool. I took in a 30 year old Craftsman stapler and they told me they no longer warranty staplers for life but gave me a "courtesy" replacement.
What the hell. I might as well get Home Depot brand then.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Josh Lyman posted:

I could probably swing the $45 for that 108 piece set, but I'm definitely not eager enough for the $150 set. Here's the 108 piece set if anyone else wants to provide feedback: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-108-pc-mechanics-tools-set/p-00938108000P
I got the 150-piece set as a gift. It has a lot of duplicates, long and short, 6- and 12-point sockets. I don't know if you can avoid that though.

wormil posted:

The 108-piece, at least, has "hand tool full warranty" in the parts list attachment. http://www.craftsman.com/en_us/customer-care/warranty-information.html#point1

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

You'd honestly be better off. The worst ratchets I still have in my toolbox are all Craftsman, whereas the ones I actually use are a mix of Crescent (Costco), Husky (Home Depot), and Kobalt (Lowe's). The Craftsman ones easily have the worst action with the longest swing needed to engage the next tooth, the least comfortable handles, and aside from a special long-handled flex-head, the shortest handle relative to the size of the ratchet. I have a Crescent 3/8" drive that's about as long as my regular Craftsman 1/2" drive, and that's without even extending the handle.

The only reason I keep the Craftsman ratchets is a) that flex-head is the only one I have and b) they're hand-me-downs from my father-in-law. So they're still "good" era Craftsman tools (he died in 1995 and bought these tools well before then), but compared to everything else I've got they're still junk. They feel much closer to the absolute garbage ratchets you used to get in cheap Chinese sets at the time, than they do to anything modern.

They've been riding on their name for a long, long time.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
+1 unimpressed by Craftsman. Right after I got out of college and bought my first off-the-lot car, I proudly bought a small set of Craftsman sockets/wrenches/screwdrivers to do light work on my car. On my first oil change, I loosened the oil pan drain bolt and dropped the ratchet about 6 inches onto the concrete, only to watch the brittle plastic parts of the ratchet head shatter and bounce apart across the ground.
:bravo:

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R
I finally broke enough stuff out of my harbor freight ratchet set to pick up a new one. I bought a set from these folks: http://www.tektontools.com/All_Tools

They ended up donating a crapload of hand tools to our hackerspace, and I've yet to use one that isn't decent. This clearly isn't snap-on, but for solid, inexpensive tools a few steps above harbor freight, they're great.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Josh Lyman posted:

Which does have a lifetime warranty! :razz:

But seriously, friends don't let friends buy Craftsman anymore. It doesn't matter how "great" their big sales look, you can find better quality at any store that sells tools.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

I'm looking for a decent all-round tool set along the lines of this set. Is kobalt a good brand? I've used some of their tools before and didn't have a problem, but I'd like to buy a set that will last my entire life, if such a thing is possible.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The problem with craftsman is that they have a whole box full of ratchets for replacement. I know because I've replaced my flex head 3/8 long handled ratchet once a year.
What's more fun than starting a brake job than a trip to sears for the yearly replacement?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

wormil posted:

A year ago I broke my Craftsman tape measure and took it in for a replacement, only to find out that Craftsman doesn't even make tape measures anymore. They replaced it with a Stanley though, which honestly was better quality than the old one.

Also, whatever brand of socket set you get, if you're going to be working on cars, get a universal joint for it. The sets don't ever include those until you get into the 200+ piece range.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I recently inherited my grandpa's Craftsman ratchet set. My dad remembers the set from when he was a teen, back in the 60s. That ratchet set is solid.

I bought a Craftsman mechanics ratchet set about 10 years ago. I've since replaced it with cheap Chinese crap that works better.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Almost all my ratchets and sockets are Craftsman, I've never really used anything else. The newest ones are 20 years old. You guys make me want to go buy a better ratchet, lol. I remember about 15 years ago I broke the wood handle on a Craftsman hammer, took it in and they gave me a new hammer. My dad used to swap out Craftsman tools from the fifties and sixties. It's why I bought Sears tools.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

CBJamo posted:

I'm looking for a decent all-round tool set along the lines of this set. Is kobalt a good brand? I've used some of their tools before and didn't have a problem, but I'd like to buy a set that will last my entire life, if such a thing is possible.

Kobalt is the Lowe's house brand. It is okay. I have a set of their bench chisels and those are fine (after sharpening) and some of their screwdrivers which are a little less fine but still serviceable.

No set will last you a lifetime. Some tools will see a lot of use and get worn out or break. Those you'll replace. The others will get used once or twice. You probably won't ever have to buy a giant set again, though.

Disclaimer: I have never owned a giant set of tools like that. Everything I own I picked up piecemeal.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

CBJamo posted:

I cant see buying an all-in-one set a good idea in any way. I can almost guarantee you that there will be something you don't like about at least half of the tools due to being low quality throw ins. Just for fun, I went to homedepot.com and priced out an HDX hammer $4.96, 5 piece pliers set $10.97, 6 piece screw driver set $7.97, and an 18 piece socket set for $24.97, grand total of $58.84. Everything I put in the cart is the cheapest stuff available at Home Depot, and most likely has about the same quality as the Kobalt stuff. I'm sure you could add the torpedo level (you probably want a longer level), scissors (you have a pair already), deep sockets (to this day, I don't think I've ever used a deep socket) and all the other crap included in the Kobalt set for less than the remaining $180. My only experience with Kobalt quality was buying a screw driver which ended up being crooked, but I've heard Kobalt is good quality. For me, I would be skeptical of the quality of all of the tools in that set.

What I mean to say is decide what you actually want or need to start out with, such as a hammer, some pliers, screwdrivers, and sockets (you probably only need SAE or Metric depending on where your vehicle or Ikea furniture was made), then buy everything as you go depending on the quality. The advantage of the kit is one stop at the store instead of 20 trips, but it's not like you don't want to go the hardware store anyways.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 19, 2015

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Crotch Fruit posted:

The advantage of the kit is one stop at the store instead of 20 trips, but it's not like you don't want to go the hardware store anyways.

1 bag of popcorn vs. 20 bags of popcorn, the smart choice is obvious!

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
I bought a Kobalt ~50 piece wrench set and I've been delighted with it. I use my deep sockets pretty frequently changing blades on my table saw arbor and they're a necessity for changing spark plugs.

That said, I've heard nothing but good things about the Duralast tools from Autozone and apparently their guarantee is pretty foolproof. You walk in, give them the busted one, they take your phone# for the computer system, you get a new one and walk out. They've got a large variety of tools with what seem to be good build quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

1 bag of popcorn vs. 20 bags of popcorn, the smart choice is obvious!

I wish my hardware store had free popcorn. :(