Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Btw...isn't the P-72 essentially a 30$ LTI token for every ship in the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dante80 posted:

Yes. But LTI doesn't matter, right?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

quote:

You are permanently banned from talking in starcitizen.

All I did was ask why Sandi had a higher billing than Gillian Anderson.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

How can you think it's not utterly absurd that, a year past the original release date, they still don't have basic game mechanics locked down in a design document? Especially a game mechanic as utterly simple and essential as "how will a character determine loadouts in SQ42"?

All they've said is that in the end they "release some information".

Because I've seen things like this happen before, I just gave you an example of a design that was not part of the original game. I mentioned WoW and the talent system being an accident earlier. Did you know the reason the talents changing classes was an accident because of the Shadow talent tree for Priests? They found during the beta they liked how it changed the design of the class fundamentally that they decided to try rolling it out for the other classes over time (Priests were the tests for a lot of things, which is why they were the only class that got unique racial talents/spells, which they scrapped later).

It's not all that unexpected in game development for things to take awhile to come down the pipe, especially when it's a minor portion of a larger game. FPS loadouts? Not that important to getting AC 2.0 and SQ42 out.

Very important for the FPS module.

Actually, you know, you have a good point. If they were close on the FPS module, you'd expect there to be a document for the loadout system!

So, you've convinced me, that's derpy.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15067-AnniVERSEary-Sale-Kickoff

Friday, November 20th: Exploration
Endeavor and Modules
Carrack

Saturday, November 21st: Piracy
Caterpillar
Herald
Redeemer
Cutlass Blue

Sunday, November 22nd: Military
Retaliator and Modules
Starfarer Gemini
Sabre
Super Hornet

Monday, November 23rd: Racing
M50
Mustang Delta
350R

Tuesday, November 24th: Aliens
Khartu-al
Banu Merchantman
Reliant

Wednesday, November 25th: Working Starships
Reclaimer
Genesis Starliner
Orion
Aurora LX
Starfarer

Thursday, November 26th: Mercantile
Freelancer MIS
Hull Series
Constellation Phoenix

Friday, November 27th – Sunday, November 29th: All Previously Offered Ships!

From Friday through Sunday, all ships previously available during this sale will return. Pick up your favorite as soon as it appears, or wait until the finale to make your choice!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

"FIDELITY" - Chris Roberts

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
ive got the need for speed

except for release dates

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Hahahaha that woman is never going to amount to anything in life or in hollywood and she knows it.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
gently caress the ships. We're talking about character fidelity -_- CR wants 3D so realistic it's just like a movie!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Loiosh posted:

Because I've seen things like this happen before, I just gave you an example of a design that was not part of the original game. I mentioned WoW and the talent system being an accident earlier. Did you know the reason the talents changing classes was an accident because of the Shadow talent tree for Priests? They found during the beta they liked how it changed the design of the class fundamentally that they decided to try rolling it out for the other classes over time (Priests were the tests for a lot of things, which is why they were the only class that got unique racial talents/spells, which they scrapped later).

It's not all that unexpected in game development for things to take awhile to come down the pipe, especially when it's a minor portion of a larger game. FPS loadouts? Not that important to getting AC 2.0 and SQ42 out.

Actually, you know, you have a good point. If they were close on the FPS module, you'd expect there to be a document for the loadout system!

How is the livestream affecting your faith in Star Citizen? Positively? Negatively?

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Dante80 posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15067-AnniVERSEary-Sale-Kickoff

Friday, November 27th – Sunday, November 29th: All Previously Offered Ships!

From Friday through Sunday, all ships previously available during this sale will return. Pick up your favorite as soon as it appears, or wait until the finale to make your choice!

No 890j :(

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
More loving mocap poo poo jesus christ

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

Dante80 posted:

A bunch of crap for sale.

Wow, I thought you were making this up at first but it's real. What a loving scam.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Loiosh posted:

I'm pretty sure this is about ship loadouts

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Loiosh posted:

They've said repeatedly it'll be at the end. I guess we can discuss it then?

As for the design document, that really depends, right? If you're not planning to balance it (Diablo 3's PVP) you don't need to worry about it and can just design without thought, but if you plan to balance it, you need to know the components. You need to know how they will integrate and work together as a cohesive system. Think of IW's internal guide while CoD 4 was under development. They perk/unlock part of MP was not in the initial document.

You seen like a nice person and I do like you but, metaphorically speaking, are you on crack? In your design document you do your best to balance your content, pvp or not, because that's a vital part for your initial success. Take the D3 example: you want all classes to be balanced because you want players to have fun with all of them. Otherwise you're spending time and resources on something nobody will use.

Edit: They are also on year three and still twattling around. The hell?

trucutru fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 19, 2015

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Thank you, Peter. I guess (pray) that "100 for the Chairman" is over but I appreciate that you tried.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

I'm the Mark Hamil model's Lifeless eyes

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Isn't this a game about spaceships? Why are they talking about running men?

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
Seems that people are really mad about this new ship:

The Avenger Warlock was built towards a single design philosophy: stop ships, don’t destroy them. Probably the closest to a non-lethal fighter, the Warlock is outfitted with a Behring REP-8 EMP Generator, capable of emitting a powerful electromagnetic wave to disable any electronics unfortunate enough to be within the blast radius.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

The Viewer Count for this livestream is now 14,844. So it's shrinking in size, as 900 people now submit trouble tickets requesting their refunds STAT.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Their big anniversary jpeg sale had no game play even in prerecorded video form and they were ok with this.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Dante80 posted:

You mean just like the Reliant was four months ago? Yeah.

Good god, I had to go do a couple work orders so I missed all of the livestream up till now, it's nice to know I didn't miss jack.

I also see why Derek didn't leak any of the surprises - there aren't any.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Move over gary oldman, CIG is sure to deliver some terrifying hamil faces now!

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Their 'high end 3D scans' are just structure from motion that you could take with a phone camera...

Muscle simulation? Holy christ have they lost the plot.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

G0RF posted:

How is the livestream affecting your faith in Star Citizen? Positively? Negatively?

I'm mostly bored, though was loving the start because of how janky it was. The mics, not having tally lights on the cameras and ben knocking his mic over. I love that stuff. I've done small production before back when publishers doing their own livestreams back when that was first starting, and this so much reminds me of it. Media not being loaded into the media buffer, bad transitions, the audio and video not being synced in control, all of that.

I kinda want to give them my ATEM M/E1 and teach them how to use it. It makes me laugh :)

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Now would be a good time to post a howto get a refund guide.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Move over gary oldman, CIG is sure to deliver some terrifying hamil faces now!

They won't show any just to spite goons

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Kakarot posted:

The Avenger Warlock was built towards a single design philosophy: stop ships, don’t destroy them. Probably the closest to a non-lethal fighter, the Warlock is outfitted with a Behring REP-8 EMP Generator, capable of emitting a powerful electromagnetic wave to disable any electronics unfortunate enough to be within the blast radius.

People were under the impression that the Warlock variant was going to be built around electronic warfare, since the base variant is already the "bounty hunter" ship or whatever.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Loiosh posted:

In this case we're talking about loadouts for the starships in Squadron 42. And as you've rightfully concluded, if they were remotely close to having SQ42 ready (let alone a year past due) they should already have a design document done.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

DreadLlama posted:

Now would be a good time to post a howto get a refund guide.

Can someone post links to it in the Question section?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Is there an IRC channel for goons to laugh about this?

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Kakarot posted:

If this game actually came-out this would probably be the go-to griefing ship.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
wow I didn't know there was a stream happening

oh god luke skywalkers had acid thrown in his face

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

trucutru posted:

You seen like a nice person and I do like you but, metaphorically speaking, are you on crack? In your design document you do your best to balance your content, pvp or not, because that's a vital part for your initial success. Take the D3 example: you want all classes to be balanced because you want players to have fun with all of them. Otherwise you're spending time and resources on something nobody will use.

Edit: They are also on year three and still twattling around. The hell?

I made the D3 reference hoping someone would pick up on it. D3 PVP was never balanced... and never released. It was an entire design document that was never used as they had to panic after release and fix their game first.

Which was kinda my point. poo poo happens during game development :)

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

Otherwise you're spending time and resources on something nobody will use.

Diablo 3 is a terrible example. Or a great example.

Edit: ^^^ yeah, I caught that, but Diablo 3 also managed to completely gently caress their base game by trying to embed transactions and grind lengths that would enable the armor sets to be built for the end game. Their design document made raging assumptions that they didn't successfully flesh out.

With regard to the game itself, the ruleset is _tiny_ compared with even a piece of what's being floated here, and the gaps between the systems will gently caress everything, because thats where we live. poo poo, one of the reasons that goons are hated by a large amount of the gaming public is that we'll exploit systems that are badly designed.

It's literally the thing we do.

Beer's point is that they're tapdancing around things that should have been settled a couple of years back; this isn't really scope creep, as that would tend to suggest a _fixed scope_. This is a wildly vacillating scope.

Hav fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 19, 2015

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

in star citizen nobody can hear you talk

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

92 mil and you can't get a sound guy?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
How can they be THIS BAD at managing a stream?

Kakarot posted:

Spergs are utterly and completely terrified of the possibility of their autism chariots not having a 100% foolproof means of avoiding piracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
They take some old ship, add some imaginary poo poo to it, and sell it for twice the price. Brilliant!

• Locked thread