Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Silver Alicorn posted:

:siren:RED PANDA HOLIDAY GIVEAWAY:siren:

I'm giving away 1 (one) red panda "neck warmer," as seen here: http://www.kigurumi-store.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=629

If you would like a chance to win, please reply to this thread with a short essay about why you like red pandas and how they have enriched your life. Maybe post your favorite red panda picture as well. Also put "My Red Panda Essay" at the top of your post so I can find it easier.

I will select one person at random at the end of this weekend (Sunday, Nov. 22, 11:59pm PST) based on whether they made a complete entry. Item will be drop-shipped directly from Japan to your location so please make sure you're able to give me a proper address. Also I would like a picture of it when you get it because I have no idea what the quality will be like or even if it's genuine SAZAC.

Have fun!

My Red Panda Essay
Red pandas are amazingly cute. Their ultimate attack is falling down on stationary objects and that is ridiculous. I still can't imagine how they've managed to stay alive for so many years in the wild. Just looking at them makes me happy and I really wish I could have one or more as a pet. They like the cold just like me! And they've been helpful for helping to cheer up people I know that are down in the dumps, because they're just so cute. So they're basically life savers. In my opinion we shouldn't even call giant pandas any more because red pandas are the true pandas.

As of now this is my favorite red panda picture ever because I want to do this:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

My Red Panda Essay
I had a conversation recently with a girl who jokingly asked me what my spirit animal was. I said red panda, of course. And not just because of this thread (lies), but because I feel like I do have quite a few things in common with these critters. Let's look at the facts:
-super cute
-total goofball
-can climb things pretty well but have trouble getting down again sometimes
-super lazy unless there's something i really want to work for
-how in the hell have you survived this long
-frightened by innocuous things

this is me irl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Lh47WtOJeY

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
My Red Panda Essay

Red Pandas are basically what I imagine would happen if you crossed a domestic housecat with a small bear. They seem to have the approximate survival instincts of a drunken horse, but unlike a horse which will kill itself because it saw a bee, a red panda will fall over and do something adorable that will be exhaustively documented by what I am sure is a veritable legion of tiny Japanese people following all red pandas at all times in order to document their ways.

Red Pandas have been a calming influence in my exciting and dangerous life of doing things to computers. After spending hours attempting to figure out what #include means, I can unwind with some very manly red panda videos while slamming a Monster energy drink and gulping down Soylent 2.0 in turns. Nothing inspires creativity like a dumb cat bear eating a slice of an apple, and nothing calms the soul like a tiny adorable cat bear baby doing tiny adorable cat bear things.

I believe that a Red Panda head thing would both increase my social status at work and I promise that if I win I will post a picture in this thread of me wearing it while drinking a Monster energy drink and if I can hit up the one dude who drinks Soylent for a glass I will double fist the Soylent and Monster.

In summary red pandas are really cool. Lets Make America Great Again, and God Bless.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

My Red Panda Essay

I like red pandas because they are cool and good they look like a cartoon came to life. They've got a ridiculous range of ridiculous facial expressions and are pretty comedic just by existing. They're just overall super adorable (thus this thread is a very good pick-me-up due to the dangerous levels of cute contained within).

They're also kind of fun to draw due to their expressions, colour, and fluff.

Here is one of my favourite photos:

It's a favourite because it's the first time the red panda finally showed itself in the enclosure at the zoo after many failed visits. It was pretty brief so this shot of it's arse and tail is one of the few we managed to get after the initial holy poo poo it's showing itself and moment of admiration at how even more loving fluffy and adorable they are in person

polarbear_terrorist
Feb 23, 2007

Snow is my weakness
:siren: ALERT :siren:

http://lostcoastoutpost.com/2015/nov/19/red-panda-missing-sequoia-park-zoo/

Name: Masala

quote:

One of the Red Pandas went missing from its enclosure at the Sequoia Park Zoo this afternoon.

Zoo Manager Gretchen Ziegler told the Outpost that someone stealing the panda hasn’t been ruled out of the investigation. However, she believes the panda escaped on its own.

“It would be pretty tough to take a panda,” Ziegler said. “We’re investigating how she may have gotten out.”

City of Eureka press release:

One of the City’s Red Pandas has escaped from the Zoo and has been seen in the Sequoia Park forest behind the Zoo. The Red Panda is NOT a danger to humans. Zoo staff is concerned for the safety of the Red Panda. City staff along with EPD are searching for the panda. If anyone sees the Red Panda, please don’t try to approach or capture. Please call 499-3668 or Eureka Police Dispatch at 441-4044.

Dammit Panda

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Hope that panda stays safe!

Eita spends some time in the apple-y indoor enclosure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0tGXaJHszQ

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Stay safe panda :ohdear:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I think I have to change my tumblr posting procedure, thanks yahoo conglomerate.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
why does eureka have a red panda?? some methhead is just going to try to smoke the poor thing. they should give her to me

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Red Pandas are just off brand raccoons. Sorry.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Have you ever met a raccoon? They're pretty gnarly creatures.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Conversely I think raccoons are just trying to be red pandas but they're not cute enough.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
a raccoon is like if a red panda was in a video game and it had an evil counterpart

also re the missing panda:

quote:

“She should be getting pretty hungry for bamboo right now,” Zoo Manager Gretchen Ziegler told the North Coast Journal of the presumably daring escape, which occurred between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. yesterday. However, there is plenty of bamboo out there in the wild, and it's possible Masala has got her paws on some.

"We have no idea how she got over the fence,” Ziegler said. “It’s contained red pandas since it was built. Animals can do things you can’t imagine. We’re going to try to figure it out.”

calling it now: red pandas know Blink and have just never tried it

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Raccoons are red pandas with a meth habit

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

whydirt posted:

Raccoons are red pandas with a meth habit

White trash pandas?

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

I still like raccoons more than red pandas, but I have read this thread, and understand your arguments otherwise.

Tiberius Thyben fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 21, 2015

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Tiberius Thyben posted:

I still like raccoons more than red pandas, but I have read this thread, and understand your arguments otherwise.

Hey, didn't you just have a cute drawing of a red panda dressing up as Roger the Potted Ghost a while ago in this post? I really liked that. :(

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
pandas are mean.
pandas are fierce.
pandas have teeth
and claws that pierce.

pandas are great,
they can't be beat.
If I was a panda,
that would be neat.

pandas are nimble
and light on their toes,
my respect for pandas
continually grows.

pandas are great!
They're the toast of the town.
life's always better
when a pandas around!

pandas are perfect,
the e-pit-o-me
of good looks and grace
and quiet dignity.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

When :siren:MY GIRLFIEND:siren: gets mad at me I send her Red Panda pictures and then she's less mad. This is my essay.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Bip Roberts posted:

pandas are mean.
pandas are fierce.
pandas have teeth
and claws that pierce.

pandas are great,
they can't be beat.
If I was a panda,
that would be neat.

pandas are nimble
and light on their toes,
my respect for pandas
continually grows.

pandas are great!
They're the toast of the town.
life's always better
when a pandas around!

pandas are perfect,
the e-pit-o-me
of good looks and grace
and quiet dignity.

is this an official entry to the contest thing?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Silver Alicorn posted:

Pretty sure that's bill waterson copy replaced pandas for tigers

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Silver Alicorn posted:

Yeah sure, however

syscall girl posted:

Pretty sure that's bill waterson copy replaced pandas for tigers

TheAbominableSnow
Nov 20, 2012

a thousand puns and not one of them worth saying
My Red Panda Essay
Six-ish years ago I was told to draw a red panda as a commission and it took me like 5 hours because I was not so good at drawing most animals. I actually ended up drawing a bunch of red pandas (and some possums) afterwards to practice, and now I can draw them from memory pretty good and in 1/5 of the time. Like this one:

Improvement! I mean obviously I practiced on tons of different animals too over the course of my education, but after canids/felids, red pandas were one of my first decently understood critters. And all thanks to a random internet weeaboo who gave me cash to draw cute critters! Plus they are adorable and I love lurking around in threads like this to gets some sweet, sweet roly-poly panda action. I would prefer drawing red pandas to doing actual adult work any day of the week. I also consider them life coaches, as I also one day aspire to spend 13 hours a day eating. Currently I only spend about 5 hours doing so and would love to step up my game. Perhaps clothing myself in pandajamas will bring me closer to my ideal lifestyle both in mind and body.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

My Red Panda Essay
Red Pandas may not be the most graceful, or clever of animals, but they never fail to bring a smile to my face. They are fuzzy, and clumsy, and excitable, and lovable in a way that few other creatures can exceed.

They say that a picture says a thousand words, so the remainder of my essay will be in the form of sketches my boyfriend and I did of red pandas as bosses from Yoshi's Island.

If I win the contest, I will probably give the head scarf to my niece, as I am 6'7" and I doubt I can pull off the look.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

My Red Panda Essay

Red pandas are adorable. We all know that, but I want it on record as well.

On a more personal level, they remind me of myself in some ways. They're small (I'm not a tall man), quite lazy, easily startled, love apples, and I have been needing a haircut for a while so that probably qualifies as fluffy. It should be no surprise that they're my favourite animal, and this thread has been a great contribution to having quite a few megabytes of pictures.

And they've been a real help sometimes. When I feel bad, or in an anxious situation, I can more often than not open my pictures, and look at as many comfy and carefree pandas as I want, I can see them play around or sleeping, and it gets a load off of me, it's very nice. It isn't always, of course, but they are so chill when they ARE "available", it's hard not to feel a little better at least.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The red panda that escaped the zoo in Eureka, California has been found and brought back to the zoo http://kymkemp.com/2015/11/22/masalas-home/

quote:

We don’t have many details but, Masala, the little red panda who has been missing from her Sequoia Park Zoo habitat since Thursday has been found! About 1 a.m., Zoo Manager Gretchen Ziegler commented on a post on the Sequoia Zoo’s page,

Masala is safe and sound back at the zoo after an alert citizen noticed her in the neighborhood and called EPD, who alerted zoo staff. A perfect rescue from a tree ended with us all sleeping better tonight! More of the story tomorrow. Welcome back, Masala – we missed you!

Welcome back, indeed! Masala was the subject of an extensive hunt in Eureka in the days since her disappearance. Yesterday, volunteers searched the area. A dog was even brought in.

The news of the search swept across the nation and even across the sea but now she is safely home again.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Stay safe, bamboo ghost

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

https://instagram.com/p/-XX_F_SXim/

So adorb

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

The red panda that escaped the zoo in Eureka, California has been found and brought back to the zoo http://kymkemp.com/2015/11/22/masalas-home/

More info about the find/capture here:
http://lostcoastoutpost.com/2015/nov/22/panda-rescue-heres-where-masala-red-panda-was-foun/

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Silver Alicorn posted:

Stay safe, bamboo ghost

spooky

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Adorably misguided klan panda has my vote.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

syscall girl posted:

Adorably misguided klan panda has my vote.

Red Klanda

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

He didn't take the comment about red pandas being off brand raccoons very well it seems

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Less than four hours left :supaburn:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

:rolldice:

The winner is Serperoth

Send me a PM so I can ship this thing to you before my bank account runs dry!

Thanks for your entries everyone, they really made my week.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Silver Alicorn posted:

:rolldice:

The winner is Serperoth

Send me a PM so I can ship this thing to you before my bank account runs dry!

Thanks for your entries everyone, they really made my week.

I don't have Plat, but that's as good as reason as any to get it.

In the meantime (until I get home, I'm at a pal's net), you could contact your Glorious Leader through WoW (if you're still around), or just plain old e-mail?

I didn't expect to win, but it really made my day :3:

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

I approve of this marketing scheme to sell 4K TVs.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

My WoW-capable computer is all packed up but you can email me via silveralicorn AT SDF dot ORG

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

GokieKS posted:

I approve of this marketing scheme to sell 4K TVs.

All of a sudden I want a 4K TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ritapetita/22878450559/

Ahh okay. Honey isn't new to the zoo but she's been off exhibit for a while.