Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

In the future, to enter your vehicle, you need to ram your body so loving hard into the side of it that your very atoms phase through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I don't know, he claimed 2.0 was going to be a janky unstable mess, and so far he looks pretty spot on.

Getting one thing right doesn't make the other statements any less wrong. It also remains to be seen if that actually holds up for the "release" version.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

"Eat healthy and avoid terrorists and you'll live to play Star Citizen one day" - KingKongor

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Sarsapariller posted:

Well I did back the game in the first place, so I guess call me foolishly naive. But I don't really have hope that it'll be good, mind you. I'm just willing to admit I was wrong about it not coming out at all. And with that, I cannot understand why they didn't spend more of today emphasizing their progress.

Pretty early to say that when no one has even seen what's actually included in 2.0. Besides lots of disconnection screens.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

These dilweed streamers better loving land on the gas giant and walk around on the surface considering they're just giant spheres.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Warcabbit posted:

As a Quebecois, how would you know? (I went to Paris once in the company of a bunch of Quebecois. It was hilarious how everyone would ignore them and talk to the American. And sad, really.)

Parisians are jerks, hth

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sedisp posted:

Pretty early to say that when no one has even seen what's actually included in 2.0. Besides lots of disconnection screens.

Would have tempted me more than 3 hours of self congratulatory interviews and Mark Hamill, at least.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Octopode posted:

Getting one thing right doesn't make the other statements any less wrong.

This works both ways.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Octopode posted:

Also, based on how absolutely wrong his statements about what features would not be included in 2.0 were, either he's just making stuff up and hoping to be right, or his sources are just stringing him along intentionally with wrong information.

If he's lost his last real source (mass firings worked), I don't see any advantage to him in even hinting at that. So could be that or just bad judgement on the leakers, in my view Derek has been right about too much just to be making everything up. I still have an incredibly negative outlook but it's nice all the talented individuals at CIG managed to get something working, even if it's only for a few minutes at a time currently and the mini-game stuff doesn't make it sound like a lot of fun. There's a repair laser or something? Not had time to catch up fully.

I guess I'm just looking forward to a new batch of funny gifs.

AP fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 20, 2015

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Justin Tyme posted:

These dilweed streamers better loving land on the gas giant and walk around on the surface considering they're just giant spheres.

This is the second streamer I've watched and they haven't managed to fly near a planet without the game crashing.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Further proof that PC Gamer is no longer about games.

Marketing, they're jumping into the madwagon with Mark cause Star Wars. Anything for revenue. Revenue is King.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Cool to see there is nothing stopping someone from going on a terrorist shooting spree in the spawn, but streamers hate fun, so

leethasbro
Apr 11, 2005

Rat Enthusiast
Someone told kingkongor that Derek tweeted a link to his stream and suddenly Derek is a nice guy!

Fractal Wave
Feb 7, 2009
I guess you can claim as much stuff is in 2.0 as you want as long as you also say it is far enough away that it takes more than 5 minutes to get there.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

CIG posted:

We're respectfully asking this test group to refrain from livestreaming and taking screenshots during this test. We don't want anything spoiled for all of your other fellow Citizens. We want everyone to have that epic feeling of wonder and surprise when they get in for the first time, too!

Let me see if I'm getting this straight, CIG puts an NDA on the release and a CIG employee is streaming this live?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I have never had so much fun watching a game constantly crash.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

MeLKoR posted:

Let me see if I'm getting this straight, CIG puts an NDA on the release and a CIG employee is streaming this live?

Stream isn't his, he just linked it.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I'm the self-righteous indignation

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
I'm guessing it wasn't a real NDA now. More a suggestion that no one listens to.

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Did you see Regis this morning?

Any fans of Deus Ex: Human Revolution in here? All of the hallways and open room with furniture and stuff could be directly from Deus Ex. Did they hire the artists from that game or something?

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.
Prediction: the constant crashing is going to turn out to be primarily due to assets that were mistakenly excluded from the public release build by their new build exclusion system.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Holy poo poo this guy didn't even make it to the ship selector before crashing again.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Wonder and surprise when you client crashes every 4 minutes. This must be experienced first hand and not watched in a stream

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Lol this guy's game client crashed and then his crash crashed. If he could actually get into a ship and fly he might be able to get a wild turkey. And then he would need to drink some Wild Turkey because he sacrificed his kids' chance at college to buy JPEGs.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Octopode posted:

Prediction: the constant crashing is going to turn out to be primarily due to assets that were mistakenly excluded from the public release build by their new build exclusion system.

Well one of the crashes was from someone climbing into a Constellation bed, so it's probably going to be a lot of things.

I gotta say though for as pessimistic as I am this actually does look like somewhat of a game, but it's about loving time. They're gonna need to iterate on it pretty regularly if they are gonna win back goodwill.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

MeLKoR posted:

CIG revised their policy about streaming At launch- Ben and others said it was okay.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

Someone plz photoshope CR and Sandi onto this:

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

MeLKoR posted:

They reascended the NDA as a bunch of testers asked to stream. Many crashes. I'm playing AC: Syndicate at the moment (woo PC release!)

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

How is anyone thinking this gives them hope? This is a year and a half of development- for something that crashes every couple minutes.

Remember, multicrew has been something they've been working on since last fall (or sooner). The FPS aspects, think back to the playable FPS demo last winter.

Look at the crashes, the jankiness, the clipping, rendering errors, horrible sounds, broken UI, and generic assets (planets for example). This is a 90+ million game, 3-4 years into development, using a prebuilt engine.

I'm so glad to have been freed of this disaster.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

HexDog posted:

Any fans of Deus Ex: Human Revolution in here? All of the hallways and open room with furniture and stuff could be directly from Deus Ex. Did they hire the artists from that game or something?
I liked it alright. Maybe less than Mass Effect (especially 2) - but it was solid.

But CIG is shamelessly derivative-- they copy from so many sources that you can see a dozen sci-fi Korea and environments in their lore and gameplay. I do think it's a bit Deus Ex-y in places, Mass Effect-y in places, Star Wars and Elite and Alien and the rest in places, too...

I'm not sure what their most original idea is (in game).

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

I've watched this guy's game crash three times in ten minutes, and it takes 3-4 minutes to reboot every time. I'm just laughing like a lunatic at this.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

skaboomizzy posted:

I've watched this guy's game crash three times in ten minutes, and it takes 3-4 minutes to reboot every time. I'm just laughing like a lunatic at this.

what stream are you watching now? the guy I was watching just tapped out.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Any streamer got to another station and/or fought anything?

Been switching streams, and its crashes when you get into a dog fight, crashes when you steer too quick in one direction, crashes when it crashes, etc

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Well thankfully so far 2.0 looks really good and I'm sure we can all agree on that and now stop being such Negative Nancies and look forward to the future

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
don't fly too close to a planet or you will crash btw.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
don't try to get on to one of the beds in the connie. Why? You'll crash.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

A Neurotic Jew posted:

what stream are you watching now? the guy I was watching just tapped out.

MatticusGames on twitch

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Tank Boy Ken posted:

They can't easily do that. They have synced 1st and 3rd person animations. Locking your camera could lead to the 3rd person animations looking "weird". Unless the camera gets disconnected from the head movement AND doesn't render your own avatar (which means they have to do 1st person animations). Though this might cause the "shooting from the top of your helmet issue" as it happened in RO1 and 2.
There is a reason for 1st and 3rd person animations still being a thing.

At least their prices are innovative.

Just lock the camera to the spine instead. You can lock a camera anywhere, then offset it.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

skaboomizzy posted:

MatticusGames on twitch

Poor guy can't even pronounce "Aegis".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

It's like I had two birthdays this year

• Locked thread