Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Shaocaholica posted:

So there are people on ebay selling Win10 Pro keys for $24-30. Is this legit? Not just individuals selling 1 key but people who are selling 100s of keys at this price. If it is legit, where are people getting these keys?

They're almost certainly Software Assurance keys they stole from work or MSDN keys they paid students a few bucks to give them.

ah forget it posted:

Is Enterprise version also supposed to get the fall update through Windows Update?

No. Enterprise gets upgrades through Software Assurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Shaocaholica posted:

So there are people on ebay selling Win10 Pro keys for $24-30. Is this legit? Not just individuals selling 1 key but people who are selling 100s of keys at this price. If it is legit, where are people getting these keys?

If there's an incredible bargain on software on eBay, it's always too good to be true.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

dpbjinc posted:

So probably dumb question but... then I need to annoy my boss to download updated Win 10 image and do an actual upgrade if i want fall update? We are running Win 7 with only few people running Win 10 who wanted to mess with it themselves.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

dpbjinc posted:

They're almost certainly Software Assurance keys they stole from work or MSDN keys they paid students a few bucks to give them.

Or, they could just be selling Windows 7 Pro OEM keys and calling them Windows 10 Pro, since after the Fall Update media builder version of Windows 10, you can punch those in and they'll activate identically.

The only other possibility is, they could be upgrading a pirated Windows 7/8 to 10, which still creates a permanent digital entitlement for 10 which is bound to that motherboard, then calling up Microsoft to say "hey I need to replace the motherboard, I need a new key". I have no idea if that would actually work buy a lot of those third-world eBay key sellers have a lot of time on their hands.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone know if the 8 upgrade keys will work on TH2?

A friend of mine has the upgrade key back when MS was selling them when 8 launched and he wants to know if he can clean install TH2 using that key.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

dpbjinc posted:

Our copies of Enterprise grabbed TH2 from Windows Update, so :iiam:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Has anyone figured out an easy way (or even a good way) of creating a default domain user profile? Unlike Win 7 and XP (we didn't do 8) you can't just copy and paste the profile folder and have everything transfer over. It's going to be a loving nightmare if we can't do a good default profile - some of our PCs have over 100 users logging in, and I sure as hell don't want to have to set up each profile with all of the bullshit switches MS makes you go through to turn off crap now.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

berzerkmonkey posted:

Has anyone figured out an easy way (or even a good way) of creating a default domain user profile? Unlike Win 7 and XP (we didn't do 8) you can't just copy and paste the profile folder and have everything transfer over. It's going to be a loving nightmare if we can't do a good default profile - some of our PCs have over 100 users logging in, and I sure as hell don't want to have to set up each profile with all of the bullshit switches MS makes you go through to turn off crap now.

Does \\domain\NETLOGON\Default User.v2 not work anymore?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

xamphear posted:

Does \\domain\NETLOGON\Default User.v2 not work anymore?

No clue - I have never used that method. I'll try it out and report back.
EDIT: Nope. Doesn't seem to work with 10.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 19, 2015

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

less than three posted:

Our copies of Enterprise grabbed TH2 from Windows Update, so :iiam:
That's good to hear, guess I'll just wait a little longer then

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Ooh look what's back...

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Rusty! posted:

Ooh look what's back...

You obviously want to shutdown in 37 minutes

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
At the end of a work day, I don't give a gently caress how long my PC takes to turn off :D

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Rusty! posted:

At the end of a work day, I don't give a gently caress how long my PC takes to turn off :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd4fj9Efl4s

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

FronzelNeekburm posted:

When installing the fall update from Windows Update, is it supposed to sit at "Restarting..." for over an hour while shutting down, or does that mean it got hung up somewhere? It's done that to me twice now, and I can't tell if it's working behind the scenes or just being unresponsive.
It turns out the answer was no, that's not normal. Disabled antivirus and re-ran the update, and now it gets into the actual installer part, blue screens with a :( error that says it's going to automatically reboot but never does, and when I manually restart, it rolls the update back.

I tried updating from the ISO, and I get the same, except that it reports after it failed that

Some digging around suggests it might be barfing while updating drivers or something. Get-WindowsUpdateLogs produces some output mostly filled with lines like "Unknown( 27): GUID=31ca3cef-8afe-c510-1cb4-36acd097dd79 (No Format Information found)."

Is there any information buried in the system that can narrow this down?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I updated my laptop and now playback of music and videos doesn't work at all. Youtube, mp4s, everything. None of it is working.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I've been having some problems with games that seemingly are caused by whatever version of windows 10 i'm on. How do I check which version of windows 10 i'm running and how do I rollback to a previous version of windows 10?

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Open a command prompt and the build number will be at the top.

To roll back look in the update and recovery settings, or hold a shift key and reboot the computer, then go to troubleshooting.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Anyone know if the 8 upgrade keys will work on TH2?

A friend of mine has the upgrade key back when MS was selling them when 8 launched and he wants to know if he can clean install TH2 using that key.

It should I left the Insider program and put in my Windows 8 Pro key and it activated fine. I did a clean install of 10 back during pre-release.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Zero VGS posted:

Came in here to ask, does anyone know what the gently caress KB3118754 does? It's a new cumulative update for 1511, and changes the build number. I can't seem to find any release notes and the patch didn't explain anything.

...as opposed to every other update? MS just doesn't release patch notes anymore.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Is there any word on how long the "put in a valid windows 7 key, get a fresh windows 10 install activated" thing will work? Is it still the same 1 year timer from the summer?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My test machines at work have Windows 10 Pro on them. I updated them through Windows Update to the new Nov upgrade. It added loving Candy Crush to the start menu. I uninstalled it, and logged in as a different user. Candy Crush is back. Awesome.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
No Candy Crush here, but the November build did manage to break my trackpad

At least the audio is still okay, that was a pain to get working

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

GreenNight posted:

My test machines at work have Windows 10 Pro on them. I updated them through Windows Update to the new Nov upgrade. It added loving Candy Crush to the start menu. I uninstalled it, and logged in as a different user. Candy Crush is back. Awesome.

Asus tablet by any chance?

Unrelated question. Any way to make the Intel HD 530 drivers not crash all the time?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

FronzelNeekburm posted:

It turns out the answer was no, that's not normal. Disabled antivirus and re-ran the update, and now it gets into the actual installer part, blue screens with a :( error that says it's going to automatically reboot but never does, and when I manually restart, it rolls the update back.

I tried updating from the ISO, and I get the same, except that it reports after it failed that

Some digging around suggests it might be barfing while updating drivers or something. Get-WindowsUpdateLogs produces some output mostly filled with lines like "Unknown( 27): GUID=31ca3cef-8afe-c510-1cb4-36acd097dd79 (No Format Information found)."

Is there any information buried in the system that can narrow this down?

I got an error very similar to this (SAFE_BOOT) and I solved it by updating the BIOS on the machine I was having trouble with.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
So I have a problem where every time an update is applied in Windows, this turns back on.

Any clues as to why? I don't need notifications for my audio driver. I know when I plug or unplug audio devices for fucks sake.

e: I also tried disabling the icon in notifications. But it still comes back every time Windows applies updates. I'll try reinstalling the driver, but I won't know if it's fixed until next time Windows 10 has some update that requires a restart.

Phoenixan fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 20, 2015

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Lum posted:

Asus tablet by any chance?

Unrelated question. Any way to make the Intel HD 530 drivers not crash all the time?

No, HP desktops. I also upgraded my text Windows 10 virtual machine in ESX. That also got Candy Crush.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

0% Brightness being an option in the Action Center is great, thank gently caress that finally came about.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Another question. Is there any way to stop Win10 using the boot logo stored in the BIOS and either revert to standard, disable it or customise it. The disable boot logo option in WinAero tweaker doesn't work unless you also disable UEFI which I don't really want to do.

I don't mind it on my GF's tablet as the Asus logo doesn't look too bad, but on my Clevo laptop has this horrible "Style Note" logo.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Lowtechs posted:

It should I left the Insider program and put in my Windows 8 Pro key and it activated fine. I did a clean install of 10 back during pre-release.

Yeah, but this is the upgrade key that MS themselves sold. Will that work?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I just noticed that Windows 10 (now?) has an option to replace command prompt with powershell in the right-click start-menu (which can also be brought up with Win+X). All I need now is for it to replace cmd as the default shell when running any command from Win+R.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

you should be able to do win+R and then type

code:
powershell "write-host 'your stairs are protected!'; sleep -s 20"
or

code:
powershell ./path/to/script.ps1
or

code:
powershell "&notepad.exe"
Not perfect but close...

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

GreenNight posted:

Why... what? Did you "like" a Candy Crush score on Facebook, and the OS decided to help you out?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Phoenixan posted:

So I have a problem where every time an update is applied in Windows, this turns back on.

Any clues as to why? I don't need notifications for my audio driver. I know when I plug or unplug audio devices for fucks sake.

e: I also tried disabling the icon in notifications. But it still comes back every time Windows applies updates. I'll try reinstalling the driver, but I won't know if it's fixed until next time Windows 10 has some update that requires a restart.
Have you tried turning off the notification in the Realtek Audio Manager itself?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

D. Ebdrup posted:

I just noticed that Windows 10 (now?) has an option to replace command prompt with powershell in the right-click start-menu (which can also be brought up with Win+X).

Oh, nice, how do you do that?

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

hooah posted:

Oh, nice, how do you do that?

Right click Taskbar > Properties > Navigation tab.

I think that's been in since 8 (or maybe 8.1).

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Lum posted:

Another question. Is there any way to stop Win10 using the boot logo stored in the BIOS and either revert to standard, disable it or customise it. The disable boot logo option in WinAero tweaker doesn't work unless you also disable UEFI which I don't really want to do.

I don't mind it on my GF's tablet as the Asus logo doesn't look too bad, but on my Clevo laptop has this horrible "Style Note" logo.

Most BIOS/UEFI's have an option to turn the custom boot logos on and off.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

mike12345 posted:

Why... what? Did you "like" a Candy Crush score on Facebook, and the OS decided to help you out?

Most definitely not. Especially not on the VM I was planning on pulling into SCCM as an image.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Yeah, I have the Candy Crush problem too. It's weird because I never installed it or even thought about installing it.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Most BIOS/UEFI's have an option to turn the custom boot logos on and off.

What's the difference between BIOS and UEFI? I think my board can switch between the two...maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Ghostlight posted:

Have you tried turning off the notification in the Realtek Audio Manager itself?
There's no option for it in the program itself, other than to try hiding its icon in the tray. It only started doing this on the past month or so.

I'd also like it if notifications obeyed the system sounds level in the mixer and weren't so loving loud.

Phoenixan fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 20, 2015