Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Early days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

You mean just like the Reliant was four months ago? Yeah.

Good god, I had to go do a couple work orders so I missed all of the livestream up till now, it's nice to know I didn't miss jack.

I also see why Derek didn't leak any of the surprises - there aren't any.

I didn't do it because I was concerned that they were on a mole hunt and I didn't want to compromise sources. But believe it or not, I got both ships right. I also said they were going to have a sale of seven. If you check the
anniversary page, that's what's there :)

Kronok
Sep 19, 2002

D_Smart posted:

I didn't do it because I was concerned that they were on a mole hunt and I didn't want to compromise sources. But believe it or not, I got both ships right. I also said they were going to have a sale of seven. If you check the
anniversary page, that's what's there :)

Did your source(s) tell you 2.0 was coming today or was this a surprise?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

Sandi just spoke in French to introduce a Frenchman who is speaking English.

She speaks five languages, in case you didn't know. And is learning MMO with a Seven Dan Blackbelt, who told her her 15/15 vision will be a valuable asset for a former science teacher and current Marketing and Business Degreed professional.

Yeah, I caught that and tweeted about it. Now we see WHY she was going to that French class last week and lied about it being a French book club. She was practicing those very lines to say in the stream. Her pronunciation was terrible and as an actress, you could tell she was faking it to make it. And when he said something to her in French, she disregarded it, then responded in English. After those first few lines, she was done.

This woman is a lying fraud. I can't wait to depose her. In French.

ps: I speak, understand and write both French (school, being in Europe) and Arabic (I'm part Lebanese, duh)

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

trucutru posted:

She's speaks flawless French. As a Quebec resident I retract all my criticism of this wondrous game. Je me souviens!

LOL!! Liar :)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I am fluent in both Truth and Justice and Star Citizen is a foreign language to me

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Ratmtattat posted:

Didn't even realize I got banned from chat for earlier saying:

DEREK SMART DID NOTHING WRONG

I feel good today.

Yeah, everyone who even mentioned my name, got insta-banned. Man, I'm a legend. Or something.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Hitler and D_Smart are banned in Germany!

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

I am fluent in both Truth and Justice and Star Citizen is a foreign language to me

This is a good post.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Theres zero difference between 100 and 1000 players according to wtfosaurus

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.
Derek i've cracked the mystery of how to make toum but i need a bitching felafel recipe. Time to give something back to the thread

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Despite all the secrecy I think devs and fans all around have a pretty good understanding of the state of technical progress on the game. I think the critical aspect of all of this that we really don't have much to go on is: "How much money do they have left?" If their finances are good, then today was progress. If it's nothing but cobwebs in the vault, then it's an admission of failure. Follow the money.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
GUYS AND GALS, WE'VE FINALLY LAUNCHED STAR CITIZEN PRE PRE PRE ALPHA!

Kronok
Sep 19, 2002
Sandi is the adult version of that little girl who always wants to showcase her talents in the living room of any adult gathering.

"That's great. You know so many things. You skipped 2nd grade? Wow."

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010
Anything in particular they are looking for with the "what you were expecting" part of the refund process?

pantX0r
Jan 7, 2004
hey, back again!

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, everyone who even mentioned my name, got insta-banned. Man, I'm a legend. Or something.

Huh, so your name can be used as a summoning OR as a killing word.

Where do you go after that?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
the best part so far is every streamer getting super hyped about getting on to a connie and then either crashing immediately or falling through the world.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

A Neurotic Jew posted:

the best part so far is every streamer getting super hyped about getting on to a connie and then either crashing immediately or falling through the world.

The dude shooting the pilot with his pistol only to have it phase through and do a shitload of damage to the ship :lol:

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
I like how when people are flying through space they just kinda hang there like a stiff ol' corpse

Pantsless Hero
May 25, 2004

Serv-Bot will kick your ass.

Justin Tyme posted:

The dude shooting the pilot with his pistol only to have it phase through and do a shitload of damage to the ship :lol:

Yeah, that was solid gold. I'm so glad this was released. The laffs will continue forever, friends.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

and then he phased out of it , marooned in deep space :xd:

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So beer, how does it feel to be crashing

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Even just an hour into the streams their HIGH FIVE BROS were getting limper, the bottom lips were starting to jut out a little and the shoulders were slumped.
A+ Great game would play again

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
I watched that nerdy dude's stream for a little bit and when it wasn't crashing the game looked really pretty and cool. I'm hopeful. Still waiting for and expecting a refund, but hopeful.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

So what'd I miss!

Oh...

Been watching WTFOSAURUS for 30 minutes, and so far he's spent 20 minutes on loading screens, 5 minutes walking around the hanger, and 5 minutes looking at config files and ctrl+alt+deleting to end the process

So this sneak peak PTU is different from the hanger module how?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

celewign posted:

I watched that nerdy dude's stream for a little bit and when it wasn't crashing the game looked really pretty and cool. I'm hopeful. Still waiting for and expecting a refund, but hopeful.

You're right to be hopeful, so far all signs point to a blistering success

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Also, called it

Sappo569 posted:

gotta go sleep... hi/lo for the next few hours?

I'm thinking it will quickly drop off after a small spike, so maybe 70-80k then down to 50... 30... petering off into the mid 20's after that

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Octopode posted:

Also, based on how absolutely wrong his statements about what features would not be included in 2.0 were, either he's just making stuff up and hoping to be right, or his sources are just stringing him along intentionally with wrong information.

Please show me the list of 2.0 features that you claim I posted. I'll wait. While setting my browser to auto-refresh so I don't miss your response.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

quote:

We're all excited about the new Anvil Crucible being offered for the unprecedentedly low (for a ship of this size) $350. That whitebox walkthrough was stunning. How does CIG keep churning out such consistently awesome content? Chris Roberts' talent as a visionary plays a big part of it, but even geniuses have bad ideas every once and a while. To make sure there aren't any uncool spaceships, and to make sure that content reaches the game in a timely and frugal manner, CIG makes heavy use of something operations engineers call "pipelines". As we learned today during the livestream, CIG has a pipeline for everything: a pipelines for ships, animations, planets, in-universe fiction-- they even separate pipelines for the development of human vs alien content!

This is the first in a series of articles about these pipelines. This one will concern the ship creation pipeline, and the creation of the Anvil Crucible in particular. It has been carefully researched from the livestreams, subscriber content and numerous documents and webshows. While the article attempts to tell the narrative of the development of the Anvil Crucible, many of the details are inferred from the development of other ships, and is in no way intended to be taken as a literal account of events. Instead, this article is intended give readers a better sense of what's going on at CIG, and maybe help address concerns that potential buyers have about whether or not they'll see the Crucible in-game soon. If anything, it might help you pass the time as AC 2.0 is downloading.

First, the community voted that they wanted a research ship, so it was put on the big list of "ships to make", and had to wait its turn until the concept artists were ready to take it on. A concept artist was then assigned to draw pictures of 20+ different spaceships so Chris Roberts could pick two or three that had potential, and then that process repeats with Lesnick.

Lesnick then works with the combat artist to flesh out the design elements in those ships using skills he honed by watching the master, Chris Roberts. Roberts will do the same thing concurrently, but will put a few orders of magnitude less effort into the process as he is also busy micromanaging ten other pipelines over multiple continents. When the subscriber publication detailing the design of this ship comes out, you can expect to read correspondence about this stage like
"I like this flat, disk shaped bridge- it reminds me of a hamburger. Like all hamburgers, it should be bigger --BL"
"We'll just scale the whole thing up during whiteboxing if it's a little tight in the hangar, these proportions are great --CR"

This process will cause the concept artist to slowly lose his mind. The ever increasing amount of alcohol and cocaine in his system won't be able to keep him from having panic attacks during teleconferences, even when Roberts isn't participating. Inevitably, the panic will subside into tantrums of rage. When the torn man's violent outbursts get bad enough that one of the office coffee machines is destroyed, the team will know it is time to green light whiteboxing- although this also means putting it in another queue until the whiteboxing artist is ready.

In few weeks, Chris Roberts receives some screenshots of the new whitebox and frowns. A quick email exchange with the artists confirms his suspicions: the repair hangar, the component that everything else has been built around, is considerably too small. The ship would need to be scaled to nearly the size of an idris to admit anything larger than a P-52 Merlin. Each of the whiteboxing artist tries to suggest simply scaling up the hanger, but Chris thinks this doesn't "have the silhouette of an Anvil ship." This is the first time the ship must literally go back to the drawing board, and the concept artist is told to put the new spaceship he is working on on hold so he can help fix the Crucible.

By some miracle, the Crucible progresses fairly smoothly for a month or two despite having to be returned to the back of the whiteboxing queue. The anniversary livestream is only a few weeks away, but Lesnick is proud that one of his projects might actually end up fairly polished by the target date. Sandi Gardiner asks to be CC'd the new whitebox WIP renders so that she can begin preparing her script. When she gets them, she walks to the most visible part of the office and calls for Lesnick by her pet name for him. Lesnick fruitlessly tries to ascertain what the verbal lashing will be for this time as he completes the arduous task of walking fifteen yards.
"A loving flying hamburger with no guns? What did I tell you about showing me concepts with no guns?"
"You told me that if you saw another peaceful concept you'd transfer my wife to London"
"Why do you want your wife to be transferred to London?"
"B...B...Backers voted for it, m...m...ma'am," Lesnick stammers. "Pl...Please...The votes mean they'll buy it"
"If this ship doesn't sell well, I can't afford nice cameras for my new mocap studio. Tell your wife that the reason I'm spending so much time with her in London is because her retarded obese husband doesn't understand that the only ships that sell are the ones that look like they can blow up the ships we sold last month."
"Y...Yes, ma'am"
"I swear to god if have to fly back to that shithole just to complete another short..." She storms back into her office as employees cower. Lesnick bursts into tears and crumbles to the floor. His muscles tense, but his joints lack the range of motion required to curl into a fetal position.

Gardiner then begins the second and final restart of the Crucible. The concept artist becomes the first person in the history of the company to emerge from a discussion with Gardiner happier than he had before. Getting to ignore lovely creative input from a superior without fear of losing your job was unheard of. His job would be easier this time anyway- he just had to scale the bridge back down, and Gardiner's requested "giant gun" on the top just meant a quick move of the docking ports. This in turn means he needs to restructure the interior, but this is just mostly erasing old straight lines and drawing new ones. The modeller responsible for the whitebox, though, had primarily been focusing on the interior; Roberts wanted to do an in-engine walkthrough of the whitebox during the livestream. All of this work has to be scrapped. By the livestream he's barely had time to partition the walls together. He is fired in front of the office that morning.

After the livestream, the ship goes back into the whiteboxing queue, and now that the concept sale is over it is lower priority. In a few months, complaints spur Ortwin Freyermuth to order the last modeler they have to finish the whitebox so it can be shown off on what turns out to be one of the last episodes of "Around the 'Verse". It isn't long before Derek Smart purchases the entire set of Star Citizen intellectual property for a cool 55 grand.

The Anvil Crucible meets the end of the Star Citizen Ship Development Pipeline on a bright Florida morning. Smart casually plugs in the first of the hard drives containing the assets from Santa Monica and stumbles into the folder containing the artwork for the Crucible. It takes almost a full minute to determine that salvaging the Crucible would be more expensive than just building new content. Smart drags the folder to the recycle bin.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

phase 1: collect underpants

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
as relevant as ever

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I don't know, he claimed 2.0 was going to be a janky unstable mess, and so far he looks pretty spot on.

Exactly. I just asked him to tell me what "list" he claims I posted. I never - ever - posted any such list. I said that my sources told me that 2.0 was NOT ready and that if they released it, that it would be a buggy mess and only released because of the anniversary.

That's precisely what happened.

Also, all the "features" that Chris rattled off, is now proven to be pure bullshit because I just wanted two entire streams and NONE of this is in it.

quote:

Anyway, the 3 year anniversary livestream is over. I did a live Tweet (I was just doing some harmless trolling and having a blast, really) which you can view by starting with this first tweet and working your way down. Some of it is hilarious I think.

I also later watched some guy play the 2.0 release in the PTU and as expected it wasn't ready for production release. Lots of glitches, crashes, not much "game" etc.

I am going to be writing up a synopsis over the weekend, but as I tweeted a month ago, they had to release something for this anniversary, as well as to show some progress. Even if it wasn't ready. And that's exactly what they did. So like Arena Commander, the hangar and ArcCorp social/planetside module, we now have yet another broken piece of the puzzle.

Also, it's being stagger released to only 1000 people to start.

He also said that it's limited to 12-16 ships; though it's not clear how many player clients that entails, given the multi-crew nature of some ships.

Also, the stream started around 2PM EST and they spent over 2.5 hrs on selling JPEGs, talking about SQ42, Mark Hamill, MoCap etc. They spent roughly the last 27 mins on 2.0. And no live stream 2.0 game play by the devs. The full TwitchTV stream should be up soon.

Below are the items that Chris announced are coming in 2.0. Of course he doesn't say <em>when</em>. I may need to update this once the recorded stream goes up and I can review it more carefully.

===
20 encounters (not sure what that even means. are they missions?)

8 dogfighting missions

8 research missions

1 exploration mission

1 on-going battle in the background

1 wreckage in asteroid belt

1 station with PvP (fps presumably)

Security area (not sure which location) is PvP for fps and you can pick up weapons, recharge etc

You can repair ships

You can heal players and group (?) with others

Mobi-glass

Access to Crusader region which has 3 moons, 3 stations and an asteroid belt

You can fly ships such as Avenger, Retaliator, Constellation, and Vanguard

New flight models (we already knew about this from dev logs)

You can now EVA from the ship. This was shown at CitizenCon

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

:barf:

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Play spot the goon name:

Hint, it's Loiosh

Is everything as you had hoped for little buddy?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
When I gaze upon the heavens at night, naked in my front garden, I often stop and think "There must be a higher being who created all these wonders, these startling celestial bodies, these gifts for all humanity, there simply has to be a divine being up there somewhere, and I thank them for all they created"
Then I watched a Star Citizen stream and thought "There is no God"

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

God drat isn't it the truth.

peter gabriel posted:

When I gaze upon the heavens at night, naked in my front garden, I often stop and think "There must be a higher being who created all these wonders, these startling celestial bodies, these gifts for all humanity, there simply has to be a divine being up there somewhere, and I thank them for all they created"
Then I watched a Star Citizen stream and thought "There is no God"
You're on fire today.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

:golfclap:

JazzPaws
Aug 10, 2014

- Ponzi Scheme Survivor -

peter gabriel posted:

Maybe Sandy can hook you up with a "book club"?....but really she should keep quiet about that...
The first rule of French Book Club.......never talk about French Book Club...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Sappo569 posted:

Play spot the goon name:

Hint, it's Loiosh

Is everything as you had hoped for little buddy?

It's looking pretty nice. Buggy, as expected, but now that they fixed the streaming issue with the server that guy looks like he's having fun. I finished the first 2 missions in AC: Syndicate. It's a beautiful looking game, glad Nvidia got their drivers fixed today!

I followed that dude, will be interesting to see how things go over the next few weeks. I'll admit, I'm still completely shocked they just dropped 2.0 on the PTU. I really did not expect it for a few more weeks.

• Locked thread