Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Raskolnikov posted:

God drat isn't it the truth.
You're on fire today.

Thank you, the excitement of 2.0 has given me creative powers beyond my reckoning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Loiosh posted:

It's looking pretty nice. Buggy, as expected, but now that they fixed the streaming issue with the server that guy looks like he's having fun. I finished the first 2 missions in AC: Syndicate. It's a beautiful looking game, glad Nvidia got their drivers fixed today!

I followed that dude, will be interesting to see how things go over the next few weeks. I'll admit, I'm still completely shocked they just dropped 2.0 on the PTU. I really did not expect it for a few more weeks.

I'm really glad you are in :)

What do you say to the critics who are somewhat harshly calling it "A big pile of steaming poo poo with a distinct whiff of a cheap delaying tactic because there is no game just a shameless cash grab focussed with laser like precision on the world's must gullible idiots?"

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010
Also, that dude has a nice 60 fps stream.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Kronok posted:

Did your source(s) tell you 2.0 was coming today or was this a surprise?

Yes. I posted about that here, and in my Twitter feed weeks ago and again a few days ago.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I'm a fan of the lack of crosshairs still

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Crosshairs are hard, just like HD towns

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

peter gabriel posted:

I'm really glad you are in :)

What do you say to the critics who are somewhat harshly calling it "A big pile of steaming poo poo with a distinct whiff of a cheap delaying tactic because there is no game just a shameless cash grab focussed with laser like precision on the world's must gullible idiots?"

I'm not in AC 2.0, I'm just watching the stream after I finished some AC. I have to hit bed in a little over an hour and don't want to get drawn into more missions :)

I'd say a lot of people are very bitter and believe CIG is lying and has no chance of delivering things. I don't agree with them, but then I'm an optimist.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sappo569 posted:

Play spot the goon name:

Hint, it's Loiosh

Is everything as you had hoped for little buddy?

Don't wind him/her up. We'll have to read about physics grids and 64-bit positioning and how it shows so loving much progress.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Don't we all love fanfiction?

quote:

We're all excited about the new Anvil Crucible being offered for the unprecedentedly low (for a ship of this size) $350. That whitebox walkthrough was stunning. How does CIG keep churning out such consistently awesome content? Chris Roberts' talent as a visionary plays a big part of it, but even geniuses have bad ideas every once and a while. To make sure there aren't any uncool spaceships, and to make sure that content reaches the game in a timely and frugal manner, CIG makes heavy use of something operations engineers call "pipelines". As we learned today during the livestream, CIG has a pipeline for everything: a pipelines for ships, animations, planets, in-universe fiction-- they even separate pipelines for the development of human vs alien content!

This is the first in a series of articles about these pipelines. This one will concern the ship creation pipeline, and the creation of the Anvil Crucible in particular. It has been carefully researched from the livestreams, subscriber content and numerous documents and webshows. While the article attempts to tell the narrative of the development of the Anvil Crucible, many of the details are inferred from the development of other ships, and is in no way intended to be taken as a literal account of events. Instead, this article is intended give readers a better sense of what's going on at CIG, and maybe help address concerns that potential buyers have about whether or not they'll see the Crucible in-game soon. If anything, it might help you pass the time as AC 2.0 is downloading.

First, the community voted that they wanted a research ship, so it was put on the big list of "ships to make", and had to wait its turn until the concept artists were ready to take it on. A concept artist was then assigned to draw pictures of 20+ different spaceships so Chris Roberts could pick two or three that had potential, and then that process repeats with Lesnick.

Lesnick then works with the combat artist to flesh out the design elements in those ships using skills he honed by watching the master, Chris Roberts. Roberts will do the same thing concurrently, but will put a few orders of magnitude less effort into the process as he is also busy micromanaging ten other pipelines over multiple continents. When the subscriber publication detailing the design of this ship comes out, you can expect to read correspondence about this stage like
"I like this flat, disk shaped bridge- it reminds me of a hamburger. Like all hamburgers, it should be bigger --BL"
"We'll just scale the whole thing up during whiteboxing if it's a little tight in the hangar, these proportions are great --CR"

This process will cause the concept artist to slowly lose his mind. The ever increasing amount of alcohol and cocaine in his system won't be able to keep him from having panic attacks during teleconferences, even when Roberts isn't participating. Inevitably, the panic will subside into tantrums of rage. When the torn man's violent outbursts get bad enough that one of the office coffee machines is destroyed, the team will know it is time to green light whiteboxing- although this also means putting it in another queue until the whiteboxing artist is ready.

In few weeks, Chris Roberts receives some screenshots of the new whitebox and frowns. A quick email exchange with the artists confirms his suspicions: the repair hangar, the component that everything else has been built around, is considerably too small. The ship would need to be scaled to nearly the size of an idris to admit anything larger than a P-52 Merlin. Each of the whiteboxing artist tries to suggest simply scaling up the hanger, but Chris thinks this doesn't "have the silhouette of an Anvil ship." This is the first time the ship must literally go back to the drawing board, and the concept artist is told to put the new spaceship he is working on on hold so he can help fix the Crucible.

By some miracle, the Crucible progresses fairly smoothly for a month or two despite having to be returned to the back of the whiteboxing queue. The anniversary livestream is only a few weeks away, but Lesnick is proud that one of his projects might actually end up fairly polished by the target date. Sandi Gardiner asks to be CC'd the new whitebox WIP renders so that she can begin preparing her script. When she gets them, she walks to the most visible part of the office and calls for Lesnick by her pet name for him. Lesnick fruitlessly tries to ascertain what the verbal lashing will be for this time as he completes the arduous task of walking fifteen yards.
"A loving flying hamburger with no guns? What did I tell you about showing me concepts with no guns?"
"You told me that if you saw another peaceful concept you'd transfer my wife to London"
"Why do you want your wife to be transferred to London?"
"B...B...Backers voted for it, m...m...ma'am," Lesnick stammers. "Pl...Please...The votes mean they'll buy it"
"If this ship doesn't sell well, I can't afford nice cameras for my new mocap studio. Tell your wife that the reason I'm spending so much time with her in London is because her retarded obese husband doesn't understand that the only ships that sell are the ones that look like they can blow up the ships we sold last month."
"Y...Yes, ma'am"
"I swear to god if have to fly back to that shithole just to complete another short..." She storms back into her office as employees cower. Lesnick bursts into tears and crumbles to the floor. His muscles tense, but his joints lack the range of motion required to curl into a fetal position.

Gardiner then begins the second and final restart of the Crucible. The concept artist becomes the first person in the history of the company to emerge from a discussion with Gardiner happier than he had before. Getting to ignore lovely creative input from a superior without fear of losing your job was unheard of. His job would be easier this time anyway- he just had to scale the bridge back down, and Gardiner's requested "giant gun" on the top just meant a quick move of the docking ports. This in turn means he needs to restructure the interior, but this is just mostly erasing old straight lines and drawing new ones. The modeller responsible for the whitebox, though, had primarily been focusing on the interior; Roberts wanted to do an in-engine walkthrough of the whitebox during the livestream. All of this work has to be scrapped. By the livestream he's barely had time to partition the walls together. He is fired in front of the office that morning.

After the livestream, the ship goes back into the whiteboxing queue, and now that the concept sale is over it is lower priority. In a few months, complaints spur Ortwin Freyermuth to order the last modeler they have to finish the whitebox so it can be shown off on what turns out to be one of the last episodes of "Around the 'Verse". It isn't long before Derek Smart purchases the entire set of Star Citizen intellectual property for a cool 55 grand.

The Anvil Crucible meets the end of the Star Citizen Ship Development Pipeline on a bright Florida morning. Smart casually plugs in the first of the hard drives containing the assets from Santa Monica and stumbles into the folder containing the artwork for the Crucible. It takes almost a full minute to determine that salvaging the Crucible would be more expensive than just building new content. Smart drags the folder to the recycle bin.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
So what is there to actually do in it?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Loiosh posted:

I'm not in AC 2.0, I'm just watching the stream after I finished some AC. I have to hit bed in a little over an hour and don't want to get drawn into more missions :)

I'd say a lot of people are very bitter and believe CIG is lying and has no chance of delivering things. I don't agree with them, but then I'm an optimist.

Good for you man, keep that positive vibe. It's better to be happy in space than grumpy, and anyway, in space no one can hear you moan, so what's the point?
People need to turn those frowns upside down imo, I'm with you all the way.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

xanif posted:

Apparently , you can listen to a narrator as you fly around empty space.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

xanif posted:

gently caress. All.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

So it looks like the same thing they showed off at spergcon 2015

Are there even other people in this guys game?

I thought this was supposed to be multiplayer... for 1k invited users the world sure seems sparse...

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Why is everything bobbing back and forth on the stream, jesus loving christ.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Seriously, it's like the ship is lesnik-powered.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Loiosh posted:

It's looking pretty nice. Buggy, as expected, but now that they fixed the streaming issue with the server that guy looks like he's having fun. I finished the first 2 missions in AC: Syndicate. It's a beautiful looking game, glad Nvidia got their drivers fixed today!

I followed that dude, will be interesting to see how things go over the next few weeks. I'll admit, I'm still completely shocked they just dropped 2.0 on the PTU. I really did not expect it for a few more weeks.

So you didn't believe me when I said it was dropping in time for the anniversary? Shame on you.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

OWLS! posted:

Why is everything bobbing back and forth on the stream, jesus loving christ.

That's the enhanced 'Bobbing for apples' physics, it's a fun little thing for next Halloween, good fun for everyone in happy happy space land, no problems here, none at all!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Loiosh posted:

You're on the Titanic. Jump ship already, christ.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

trucutru posted:

Don't wind him/her up. We'll have to read about physics grids and 64-bit positioning and how it shows so loving much progress.

There's no need to mock me for sharing details of game development. I'm sorry it's upsetting, but I like sharing that kind of detail. Development is fascinating.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

D_Smart posted:

So you didn't believe me when I said it was dropping in time for the anniversary? Shame on you.

Have you got one of those pecking bird things like Homer Simpson to auto refresh your browser Derek?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

peter gabriel posted:

Even just an hour into the streams their HIGH FIVE BROS were getting limper, the bottom lips were starting to jut out a little and the shoulders were slumped.
A+ Great game would play again

WE DID IT!! Saint Christo Roberto has saved PC gaming!

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
"oh we crashed".

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Loiosh posted:

There's no need to mock me for sharing details of game development. I'm sorry it's upsetting, but I like sharing that kind of detail. Development is fascinating.

I like your posts, they are like a little happy candy stall in the middle of The Somme

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That loading screen is p. dope. For something made in the 90s.

...oh wait, it crashed again.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I don't think it looks all that terrible...

Except for the infuriating non stop head bobbing and spazzing the gently caress out jerking the camera around non stop everywhere holy poo poo it's so bad.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Gwaihir posted:

I don't think it looks all that terrible...

Except for the infuriating non stop head bobbing and spazzing the gently caress out jerking the camera around non stop everywhere holy poo poo it's so bad.

It's taken then half a decade and $100 million to make a bad representation of the infinite blackness of space.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler
No missions or FPS or anything? Just "here's a multicrew ship that your friends can play with you if they get in the same game and don't crash.?"

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That loading bar bobs at the exact same speed everything else in this game bobs.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

JazzPaws posted:

Maybe Sandy can hook you up with a "book club"?....but really she should keep quiet about that...
The first rule of French Book Club.......never talk about French Book Club...
Yes, but the first rule of Sandi Club is you never shut up about Sandi Club. So I think that takes precedent here.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010
(I could live without this guy's music though).

I usually listen to my own music and mute the streamer. Except LethalFrag, because he's like the Bob Ross of gaming.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

xanif posted:

No missions or FPS or anything? Just "here's a multicrew ship that your friends can play with you if they get in the same game and don't crash.?"

Yup just the absolute bare minimum to be able to have headlines saying they 'Launched 2.0'

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

peter gabriel posted:

It's taken then half a decade and $100 million to make a bad representation of the infinite blackness of space.

That's sorta the other thing, because, while, duh, space is loving dark, it makes it really hard to actually see the ships you're shooting at/flying around with. Which isn't great since the looks of the ships are one of the strongest things they've got going for them.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

peter gabriel posted:

Yup just the absolute bare minimum to be able to have headlines saying they 'Launched 2.0'

Oh. Guess that's what I should have expected.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

peter gabriel posted:

Yes. Which is precisely what I was going on about

Nov 2nd: https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/661306828568023040

Nov 5th: https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/662384623880642560

Nov 17th: https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/666661407144955905

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

There's missions and FPS and stuff by the looks of it it's just that the game crashes before you can do anything.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

xanif posted:

Both missions and FPS are in there. WTFO was doing some repair mission before it crashed. Then he tried to get to the FPS station, and it crashed. :)

Oh, I guess no missions and no FPS, heh!

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Holy poo poo, so *that* is how you have to select your ship?

Jesus loving christ, how, in what loving hell hole of a universe can this be considered fun?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
goof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

OWLS! posted:

Holy poo poo, so *that* is how you have to select your ship?

Jesus loving christ, how, in what loving hell hole of a universe can this be considered fun?

Fun?
Let me tell you about a little thing called immersion

• Locked thread