Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

I'm so confused, this isn't large world with the new 64 bit thingy whatsit zone magic?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AP posted:

I'm so confused, this isn't large world with the new 64 bit thingy whatsit zone magic?

Doesn't look it.

Well it might be 64 bit space, but.

OWLS! fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 20, 2015

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Is that jittery poo poo supposed to be an effect?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Loiosh posted:

There's no need to mock me for sharing details of game development. I'm sorry it's upsetting, but I like sharing that kind of detail. Development is fascinating.

I'm not mocking for that (I actually like your posts about game development and have told you so), I'm mocking you for believing they have shown a lot of progress. Well, I'm guessing that's what you believe, from your overall posts. If you don't think so then you are finally coming to your senses and I'll apologize for my words.

BTW, You still haven't answered to that dude a few pages ago that pointed out that you cannot create proper missions without first having lots of details already set in stone. That is also part of development.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Gotta say that preview would show a lot of promise, if the game weren't have supposed to come out a year ago instead of 2 years from now.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

D_Smart posted:

You're making GBS threads me, right?

1) I was talking about the *new* Star Marine fps (combat, weapons etc as seen in GamesCom, CitizenCon) they canned and rolled into the PU. No, it's not there. The fps in there is the same one.
2) It does only contain one new ship. The Crucible. The Archimedes is not new. It's a variant of an existing ship. Look it up.
3) There is nothing "persistent" about this 2.0 release. Or you don't know what that even means
4) I didn't say anything about EVA
5) The 2.0 just released, has no missions in it
6) The 2.0 just released doesn't have the large world promised. In fact, go check their own star map to see what they just released
7) Multi-crew isn't working in the 2.0 just now released
8) There is no zone streaming because there are no zones in this 2.0 release. It's all one large area

Quoted again for context:

And this is everything that Chris - TODAY - said was in 2.0.

1) The promised features list you said wouldn't be included (look right there in the quote, you specifically said none of the features promised in the image you included below would be included.) includes just "FPS", not Star Marine, but FPS. So either way, you were wrong about the FPS. Even later I asked for clarification, specifically so you couldn't pull this dodge, and you said that no FPS gameplay of any kind would be included.

2) The Crucible isn't included, that was a concept sale. You might want to fire some of your "researchers". The two new included ships are the Constellation and the Retaliator. Or you can count the Vanguard and Avenger variants if you meant "in-game models" instead of "useable ships".

3) I didn't say you were wrong about persistence anywhere, and CIG never claimed 2.0 would have persistence. Reading comprehension, yo.

4) You did. You said none of the promised features listed below (in the image) would be included. EVA was one of those features.

5) Missions were a stated feature of the release, with a specific count of each type.

6) You're being deliberately obtuse here or really need to pay closer attention. Large world, in the context of Star Citizen, has been used for close to a year to refer to the 64-bit spatial positioning conversion in the engine, which is definitely in this release.

7) Again, a stated feature of the release.

8) There may or may not be, but saying that it's one large area isn't proof of that. Zones are functionally transparent to the player during gameplay, and are used for data transmission partitioning and limitation, not segmentation of play areas. That's why I specifically said it wasn't clear if they were included or not.

And when you quote something for context, you probably shouldn't ignore the second half of the same post, which also includes relevant context.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

trucutru posted:

I'm not mocking for that (I actually like your posts about game development and have told you so), I'm mocking you for believing they have shown a lot of progress. Well, I'm guessing that's what you believe, from your overall posts. If you don't think so then you are finally coming to your senses and I'll apologize for my words.

BTW, You still haven't answered to that dude a few pages ago that pointed out that you cannot create proper missions without first having lots of details already set in stone. That is also part of development.

Oh, right I need to reply to that. That and Beer I have to do research for and reply to.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Octopode posted:

literally everything this idiot posts

:nallears:

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Today is gonna be the day
That they're gonna release PU
By now you should've somehow
Realized what you gotta do
I don't believe that any sane one
Thinks that they should not refund now

Big scam, the release is a sham
And the money in their hands ran out
D Smart saw through all the paaaarp
But the white knights never had a doubt
I don't believe that sane one thinks
That this game will get released now

And all the bugs we have to squash are massive
And most of our game play features inactive
There are many things that are
Missing from PU
And it just crashed now

Because maybe
Mocap will be the thing that saves me
The plan’s on track
Hollywood comeback

Today was gonna be the day
But the game is hosed up it’s true
By now you should've somehow
Realized what you've got to do
I don't believe that sane one
Thinks that this game will
Get released now

And all the parps along the way were funny
I can't wait until Roberts flees the country
There is only one thing that I want to say to you:
GET A REFUND NOW

I said maybe
The plan’s on track
Hollywood comeback

I said maybe
The plan’s on track
Hollywood comeback

I said maybe

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

C'mon man, there's a lot to criticize but it's clearly large world.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Justin Tyme posted:

Dude, it's like one system. Maybe.

For a spacegame, that's loving nothing.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

AP posted:

It absolutely is, as seen here as recently as the Gamescom presentation:

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
<eveonlinestarmap.jpg>

<elitedangeroustarmap.png>

<rebelgalaxymap.swf>

And rebel galaxy is loving small for a spacegame, but it's still more than this

reminder that rebel galaxy was made in about the same amount of time as this by two dudes

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Justin Tyme posted:

show your faith and purchase

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Octopode posted:

1) The promised features list you said wouldn't be included (look right there in the quote, you specifically said none of the features promised in the image you included below would be included.) includes just "FPS", not Star Marine, but FPS. So either way, you were wrong about the FPS. Even later I asked for clarification, specifically so you couldn't pull this dodge, and you said that no FPS gameplay of any kind would be included.

2) The Crucible isn't included, that was a concept sale. You might want to fire some of your "researchers". The two new included ships are the Constellation and the Retaliator. Or you can count the Vanguard and Avenger variants if you meant "in-game models" instead of "useable ships".

3) I didn't say you were wrong about persistence anywhere, and CIG never claimed 2.0 would have persistence. Reading comprehension, yo.

4) You did. You said none of the promised features listed below (in the image) would be included. EVA was one of those features.

5) Missions were a stated feature of the release, with a specific count of each type.

6) You're being deliberately obtuse here or really need to pay closer attention. Large world, in the context of Star Citizen, has been used for close to a year to refer to the 64-bit spatial positioning conversion in the engine, which is definitely in this release.

7) Again, a stated feature of the release.

8) There may or may not be, but saying that it's one large area isn't proof of that. Zones are functionally transparent to the player during gameplay, and are used for data transmission partitioning and limitation, not segmentation of play areas. That's why I specifically said it wasn't clear if they were included or not.

And when you quote something for context, you probably shouldn't ignore the second half of the same post, which also includes relevant context.

your reaction to the things he got right were 'well they never said they would be there'

what proof do you have of #6?

fps and missions both crash the game when you try to access them

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

it took them 3 years and 94m to release a really lovely version of elite dangerous, how does that give you any hope at all, loiosh?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

OWLS! posted:

Dude, it's like one system. Maybe.

For a spacegame, that's loving nothing.

Large world being 64 bit precision, the game space itself is massive. It's barren sure but I believe in honest hate.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Google Butt posted:

it took them 3 years and 94m to release a really lovely version of elite dangerous, how does that give you any hope at all, loiosh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6DEbuVGtUw

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

Nicholas posted:

what proof do you have of #6?

Look up 3 posts for proof of what it is. Then look at the streams; even in the short time available before crashing, it's clearly implemented.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Large world being the 64 bit floating precision, not necessarily the actual "universe" as it were. Which brings me back to my biggest peeve in that they could have so, so much more if they actually had their stupid procedural poo poo already hashed out. You'd think making space would be the first thing they worked on but no.

"Just put everything in a map with a black skybox! Easy!"

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Goons are malicious maladjusted assholes in general and we ruin all games but, sometimes, the stars align and we actually mock something that so deserves it. In a scale from doobie to bitcoins I would say that SC ranks a solid Ouya.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Justin Tyme posted:

Large world being 64 bit precision, the game space itself is massive. It's barren sure but I believe in honest hate.

Except I don't care about it being empty? It's space man, and as somebody who plays spacegames, I'm telling you, for a spacegame, this ain't massive.

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer
I think the only fidelity cig is making a priority is sales fidelity

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Justin Tyme posted:

if they actually had their stupid procedural poo poo already hashed out

Weren't they going to handcraft every planet though, lol?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Can anyone pinpoint the moment where Star Citizen changed from "a cool space game" to "Christ Roberts' jpeg cocaine fund?"

I was not on the internet much last Summer due to some reasons, and while I get that we've turned on him now and he used to be good; when/what was the turning point? I missed it.

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 20, 2015

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Octopode posted:

Look up 3 posts for proof of what it is. Then look at the streams; even in the short time available before crashing, it's clearly implemented.

:allears: never stop posting in this thread

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Octopode posted:

It absolutely is, as seen here as recently as the Gamescom presentation:

That's bullshit.

Plain English: "as large as" is not the same as "is"

This 2.0 is the first - early - iteration of the the 2.0 code branch. Not to be confused with the - soon to be trashed - legacy 1.0x branch (which includes the still-lovely AC, Hangar, Social/Planetside module)

This 2.0 is not - I repeat - not the PU promised.

Which is precisely why my sources tell me that it wasn't ready to be released.

Everything Chris promised today, is NOT in it; but will be added on top of it "at some point". Chris, as usual, just rattled off a laundry list of bullshit for the fans.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

OWLS! posted:

Except I don't care about it being empty?

You're gonna *love* the game!

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DreadLlama posted:

Can anyone pinpoint the moment where Star Citizen changed from "a cool space game" to "Christ Roberts' jpeg cocaine fund?"

Initial kickstarter video when they implied that any money over the funding limit may be used for... something?..

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

OWLS! posted:

Except I don't care about it being empty? It's space man, and as somebody who plays spacegames, I'm telling you, for a spacegame, this ain't massive.

Even if this particular map isn't the same size as Elite's systems, the underlying system has the capability to be exactly the same size, as they're both using the same spatial positioning precision. The actual size of each is a design decision at this point.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

DreadLlama posted:

I was not on the internet much due to reasons and while I get that we've turned on him now and he used to be good, when/what was the turning point? I missed it.

Like 3-4 threads ago at this point. I mean, I remember the original Kickstarter thread, a lot of people were really supportive then. I stopped paying attention after that, but when I next noticed it was in sour joke stage, right before things really got negative this year.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Octopode posted:

Even if this particular map isn't the same size as Elite's systems, the underlying system has the capability to be exactly the same size, as they're both using the same spatial positioning precision. The actual size of each is a design decision at this point.

Lol.

trucutru posted:

You're gonna *love* the game!

I could just resubscribe to EvE. There's a whole lot of nothing there too, but I can occasionally shoot somebody there without crashing to desktop.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Octopode posted:

Well, yes. And the combat and exploration has the capability of being as good as Elite's. And they could certainly implement planet landings like Elite. And it would only take them like three times the time and resources to do so.

edit: wait! I'll just buy Elite!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Octopode posted:

Is it not disconcerting at all that this and 10 hours of lovely mocap movie is all they have to show after 3 years/94m? I'm having a hard time understanding this, my apologies.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I also have the potential to be the next Steve Jobs. You have the potential to be the next Ghandi.

IF YOU WOULD ONLY JUST BELIEVE, MAYBE YOU WOULDN'T BE SUCH A HITLER.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

D_Smart posted:

That's bullshit.

Plain English: "as large as" is not the same as "is"

This 2.0 is the first - early - iteration of the the 2.0 code branch. Not to be confused with the - soon to be trashed - legacy 1.0x branch (which includes the still-lovely AC, Hangar, Social/Planetside module)

This 2.0 is not - I repeat - not the PU promised.

Which is precisely why my sources tell me that it wasn't ready to be released.

Everything Chris promised today, is NOT in it; but will be added on top of it "at some point". Chris, as usual, just rattled off a laundry list of bullshit for the fans.

We aren't talking about the PU here, you made claims about features being included in 2.0, which this release is, and which is what I'm commenting on. You weren't talking about the PU in that post I quoted, and Chris wasn't talking about the PU in the presentation you screenshotted. Stop trying to dodge by changing the subject.

So, to be absolutely clear here: when the current release gets the current crashing bugs fixed and is playable for more than 5 minutes or so and things can be verified, will it have the features Chris promised?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Remember back in February when they said they were over the hill and development was gonna fly now? Remember how that was February? And it's November now?

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Octopode posted:

So, to be absolutely clear here: when the current release gets the current crashing bugs fixed and is playable for more than 5 minutes or so and things can be verified, will it have the features Chris promised?

Haha, gently caress no.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Google Butt posted:

I think I've explained my reasoning well in the past over multiple posts. You can find the big post here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&pagenumber=309&perpage=40#post452516218

You probably don't care about that though and just want my feelings on E:D releasing and SC still being in progress. E:D is a more limited experience and of little interest to me. In that post you can see how the things that interest me are deep simulation systems. I did not fund the original kickstarter for SC because it was too limited in scope. I wanted to play a space sim with the depth of FSX. SC is not there yet (and according to most here, will never get there), E:D is not that game.

What you see as failure, I see as an alpha. I have not mentioned this, but I have pre-alpha tested Ultima Online, I beta tested EQ, was in Phase 3 of World of WarCraft beta. I've done beta testing for APB, Tabula Rasa (FPS mmo), Star Trek: Online and Champions Online, and a few others I don't recall (Age of Conan).

So I've seen what these things look like in alpha, in prealpha and in beta. I remember getting loot locked in World of Warcraft, falling outside of the world in Tel'drassil. I remember UO being completely unable to update damage, though I missed seeing Richard getting killed :D. I remember in STO when you'd spawn in as your player out in space and couldn't move because the model swap hadn't happened. I can remember testing CO and telling Cryptic their game was -entirely- unready for launch and lacked any content.

I still remember out of memory crashes in Age of Conan that wasn't fixed for months after launch (because the entire dev team took 2 months off after shipping it!)

I'm kinda used to jank like this. It's not really that surprising to me. If they don't fix it in December, if I cannot get in my Connie and fly around doing stupid poo poo, I'll be concerned. But seeing this, it's an alpha. What'll be telling is seeing how well they clean it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Like 3-4 threads ago at this point. I mean, I remember the original Kickstarter thread, a lot of people were really supportive then. I stopped paying attention after that, but when I next noticed it was in sour joke stage, right before things really got negative this year.

It's because this year they have made 0 progress, bought $20,000 coffee machines, wasted millions on re-doing all the mocap, and doubled down on sales of jpegs to morons who can't help themselves. Oh also concierge cards that require you to contribute $1000 to be a special VIP.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 20, 2015

• Locked thread