Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

Edwhirl posted:

Why. There was barely a reason to ever go there anyway.

They buffed it to give a potion of strength, 3 random spell books, a random artifact, the best two-handed weapon in the game, a corpse that gave +6 STR/TO without regard for potentials, 3-4 PoCC and 6 PoGA. It was the best reward pre-nerf and completing it basically guaranteed a win

Happylisk fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

Happylisk posted:

They buffed it to give a potion of strength, 3 random spell books, a random artifact, the weapon two-handed weapon in the game, a corpse that gave +6 STR/TO without regard for potentials, 3-4 PoCC and 6 PoGA. It was the best reward pre-nerf and completing it basically guaranteed a win

Oh, huh. I guess I can see why they'd nerf that. Still wouldn't go there though, that place is annoying to get through.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
...boy, I guess they buffed that place since 1.0.0, because back when I played it was basically Not Worth The Effort. If I'd known that last night it would have made deciding where to take my current character a LOT easier.

As it stands I've only got the Blue Dragon Caves and the Mana Temple/D:50 left to do and despite her insane defensive stats (100/26 DV/PV without tactics,, fire and ice immunity and resistant to basically everything else except acid) and the fact that she can kill basically anything non-karmic she's run into so far in melee thanks to Kinslayer, Duelists' armor penetration buffs and absurd to-hit bonuses (stuff like Greater Titans get troublesome but so far she's outlasted them all), she's run really short on corruption cures and healing resources and I'm not confident she can handle the Mana Temple and D:50 but I can't think of anywhere else I can get the stuff I'd need that I haven't already cleared. :smith:

Maybe I'll hit the Maze tonight and see what the new reward is (or maybe see what might be in the Sinister Library for her?) but it's already day 125 and ideally I'd avoid any more big wilderness trips for fear of background corruption.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 19, 2015

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

Dallan Invictus posted:

Maybe I'll hit the Maze tonight and see what the new reward is (or maybe see what might be in the Sinister Library for her?) but it's already day 125 and ideally I'd avoid any more big wilderness trips for fear of background corruption.

Can't enter the maze once you're past character level 30. I always do it right after the frost giant greater vault.

If you find the maze tedious, do bugville first and use the magic mapping scrolls here. I also save magic writing sets for creating more MM scrolls for the maze. If you find a book of magic mapping, it doesn't take an unreasonable number of casts to map the entire level, provided you have concentration. Throw in controlled teleports, and I can usually do the maze in 20 minutes.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Happylisk posted:

Can't enter the maze once you're past character level 30. I always do it right after the frost giant greater vault.

Well, gently caress, I'm level 33 so I can't go there anyway (and I haven't gotten enough characters killed by stone block traps yet to go to Bugville anyway). Guess I'll take my chances with the blue dragons. Or the Chaos Archmage. Or that greater undead vault on D45. :cripes:

At least the latter two won't blow up all my loot like the lesser and greater vault full of red dragons I've already cleared, I lost so many useful scrolls and potions before I realized I was playing a melee character and could just attack from the diagonal so only one of them can breathe uselessly on me, without worrying about wasting bolt spell casts/PP on "only one target".

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

Dallan Invictus posted:

Or that greater undead vault on D45. :cripes:

A couple weeks ago I cleared two GUVs with a high elf healer. The trick is to go to the Dwarven Halls, get 1-2 greater earth elementals with blessed scrolls of familiar summoning, train em up a bit in the big room, and use them to clear the vault. Admittedly, having the crown of leadership for the Ch bonus made this easier, and I didn't tackle the GUV on D45 until after the gate was closed to avoid corruption issues. Also, you'll get no exp this way, just all the loot. Don't forget your death ray resistance for the emperors.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Intrinsic death ray resist, plus the mummy wrapping. The pools in Darkforge were really kind to me this run (except for the wish I actually WANTED, ugh, if I could have saved Khelavaster I would be a lot less worried about all this), but I'm mostly concerned about confusion. The emps I've fought in tension rooms managed to occasionally confuse me even through my mental stability ring, maybe I should bless it just to be sure? With a vault full of liches being even minorly vulnerable to confusion is a Bad Idea.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

my GUV tip is to not have your only good way of killing the liches be the runed trident because it will, 100% of the time, fail to return at the worst moment and you will want to be dead in real life because there's no way you're getting it back. don't make my mistake, young travelers.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
I just played ADOM for the first time. On my third randomly-generated character (the first drowned and the second was killed in two hits by a vile spirit), a troll barbarian, I got much further than the first two and went to a dungeon to the northwest-ish of the bandit village and ended up on a floor where there was a teleportation trap every five or six steps down a hallway. I was stuck there for like a solid 15 minutes just trying to walk down a hall without being teleported and eventually got swarmed by green worms and starved to death in hallway because I couldn't kill them fast enough to get a chance to eat even though I had a backpack full of rations and didn't seem to be in danger of actually being hurt by the worms at all. That was a weird death.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

ellbent posted:

I just played ADOM for the first time. On my third randomly-generated character (the first drowned and the second was killed in two hits by a vile spirit), a troll barbarian, I got much further than the first two and went to a dungeon to the northwest-ish of the bandit village and ended up on a floor where there was a teleportation trap every five or six steps down a hallway. I was stuck there for like a solid 15 minutes just trying to walk down a hall without being teleported and eventually got swarmed by green worms and starved to death in hallway because I couldn't kill them fast enough to get a chance to eat even though I had a backpack full of rations and didn't seem to be in danger of actually being hurt by the worms at all. That was a weird death.

teleport shenanigans sounds like you found the assassin's guild. the second floor is always like that and the third floor is mostly pointless unless you've got Grand Plans so there's no huge incentive to hang around. there's a wand of teleport on the second floor but it's hidden and you wont get it without teleport control and magic mapping/item detection, pretty much.

if you're hungry you can just switch tactics to coward and chow down, the game will ask you if you want to keep eating and you can just keep hitting yes until you finish eating, different foods take different amounts of turns. I wanna say iron/large rations take quite a few while stuff like cooked lizard takes like 2 or 3.

also yeah vile spirits are super dumb powerful and i'm not really sure what a melee character is supposed to do to one early in the game. i just sort of try to avoid them and if i cant i leave the dungeon for someplace else.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
I read a cursed scroll of identify and picked an amulet in my inventory and it was an amulet of life saving.

About 10 minutes after that I found seven league boots.

I am destined to crash in some way the backup will fail.

Edit: Haha I tabbed back and it crashed. I don't think the patch fixed it. (As soon as I picked up the 7LB I made my own backup because I don't trust this game at all)

Edit 2: Ah, there we go.

Edit 3: Get luck from some random sacrifices, then get a karmic lizard corpse a moment later.

Dr. Dos fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Nov 20, 2015

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

If I really like crawl, which one should I get, ADOM or caves of cud?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Unimpressed posted:

ADOM and CoQ have far more in common with each other than they do with Crawl. I'd just play the free versions of each and see which one you like.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

Unimpressed posted:

What the guy above me said. If you really like crawl, play SIL (or perhaps The Ground Gives Way, but I've found that people in this thread don't like TGGW as much as I do).

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
Sil is everything I like about angband minus everything I hate about it, it's great

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Thanks. I tried Sil but it was hard to get into, I just kept dying and dying without feeling I'm getting better, but I think I'll give it another go. If ADOM and CoQ are similar, I'll prob go CoQ, it's goon made and a different setting than the rest of them.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
In CoQ you can get into a mind duel with your evil twin and make your own head explode because you tried to make your twin's head explode but forgot that your mind reflects head-exploding and therefore your twin's does too.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
Speaking of Angbands, I've lost my ToME2 installation when I upgraded to Windows 10 and I can't find a download for it. Anyone able to help me out?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Unimpressed posted:

Thanks. I tried Sil but it was hard to get into, I just kept dying and dying without feeling I'm getting better, but I think I'll give it another go. If ADOM and CoQ are similar, I'll prob go CoQ, it's goon made and a different setting than the rest of them.

Angry Diplomat posted:

In CoQ you can get into a mind duel with your evil twin and make your own head explode because you tried to make your twin's head explode but forgot that your mind reflects head-exploding and therefore your twin's does too.

Yeah, with the disclaimer that I don't really like Crawl much and thus my taste may not be very similar to yours, Caves of Qud has much better mechanics than ADOM, and may still have more modern conveniences although I haven't played the Steam versions of either game and they may be closer to parity on that front by now.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

A Magical Lamp posted:

Speaking of Angbands, I've lost my ToME2 installation when I upgraded to Windows 10 and I can't find a download for it. Anyone able to help me out?

Not entirely sure what's best, but the last LP in the general roguelike LP thread showed a bunch of versions here. It looks like a few folks on the ToME 4 forums have actually been maintaining 2.3 so there may something newer if you dig around at te4.org

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Sage Grimm posted:

You might be waiting for a good long while. Biskup isn't really known for being prompt. Or finishing.

sucks to be the game dev wanting my money then i guess. not like there is a lack of roguelikes to try.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Not entirely sure what's best, but the last LP in the general roguelike LP thread showed a bunch of versions here. It looks like a few folks on the ToME 4 forums have actually been maintaining 2.3 so there may something newer if you dig around at te4.org

Thanks a lot mate, gonna roll me up an alchemist and scum the gently caress out of it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

A Magical Lamp posted:

Thanks a lot mate, gonna roll me up an alchemist and scum the gently caress out of it.

Have...fun? :confuoot: Man, alchemists are not my idea of a good time. "Here, you can make anything you want, but it's boring as poo poo to do so."

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Isaac posted:

I like AC but its very unforgiving. Sometimes you get thrown poo poo that aeems impossible.

Someone earlier in the thread won like 14 battles then their commamder got headshot by an mg crew on the first turn of an ambush.

17 :wave:

It's a great game, I just probably won't play it again in commander insta-death mode.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Have...fun? :confuoot: Man, alchemists are not my idea of a good time. "Here, you can make anything you want, but it's boring as poo poo to do so."

It's silly yeah but with so many roguelikes being so anti-grinding it feels like a nice change of pace now and then. I like a bit of grind every once in a while.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Nethack, not TOME, but: The Dev Team have devised a clever and cruel punishment for pudding farming. It's called pudding farming.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Can anyone recommend Rogue's Tale? It's cheaper than a pack of gum at the moment at ShinyLoot and I'm generally a fan of so-called hard roguelikes.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
The fourth in the series, Super Pokemon Mystery Dungeon came out today. The previous games have been really bland in terms of gameplay while having awesome music and surprisingly good plots for a pokemon spinoff game for kids.

This one actually adds some semblance of depth though! They added "Looplets and Emeras", basically bracelets and things you slot into them to give you new abilities like seeing items on the minimap, extra damage, chance of inflicted status effects with every move. Then at the end of the dungeon the Emeras go away so each run has you slotting different things. You can also instead of slotting them, use them for a boost to a specific stat for the rest of the dungeon dive.

They also added team attacks as well which seem like a good way to pile on damage.

The game also seems more difficult than the previous ones, but that might be because I picked Chespin and these early dungeons seem to have a lot of bug, flying, and fire types.

Basically I'm actually enjoying the non-story elements so if you got any enjoyment out of the previous games so far I'd recommend the latest.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
I'm being a huge sperg and arguing with ADOM's creator about the control scheme being bad on the steam forums.

In other news:

I made a mist elf wizard.
He was awesome at spitting acid.
Then rocks fell.
I died.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Don't, it's a losing battle.

to this same day I ask why ADOM needs four varieties of elf

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Black August posted:

One LotR archer-elf, one D&D magic elf, one evil baddie elf, one fairy.

nplus1 elephants
Oct 23, 2010
I say it's perfectly heartless your eating muffins at all, under the circumstances

Happylisk posted:

What the guy above me said. If you really like crawl, play SIL (or perhaps The Ground Gives Way, but I've found that people in this thread don't like TGGW as much as I do).

I've been having a lot of fun with TGGW lately. And the only other roguelike that I really played the hell out of was Crawl. Well, Crawl and Pixel Dungeon.

Sil is interesting but I didn't really want to devote the time to figuring it out.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Black August posted:

ADOM should add a new redundant species for every species Crawl removes.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Just and FYI for the developers of Caves of Qud and Sproggiwood, after Valve added new currencies on Steam last wednesday they can't be bought in Chile, don't know about the other countries added.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Adnor posted:

Just and FYI for the developers of Caves of Qud and Sproggiwood, after Valve added new currencies on Steam last wednesday they can't be bought in Chile, don't know about the other countries added.

Oh, thanks, I'll update the price structures.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
Oh hey, found a lawful altar for my high elf barbarian (whom has a tamed blink dog that has hosed off to lord knows where, it honestly seemed like a good idea at first), lets send our god a bunch of assorted poo poo and get precrowned!

Oh hey, staff of the archmagi. I think I'm worshipping the wrong god.

On another note, are there any strategies to saving the cute puppy before it dies horribly? I always feel awful 'g'iving it to the little girl.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Oh hey, staff of the archmagi. I think I'm worshipping the wrong god.

Precrowning gifts are completely random, just be glad you didn't get the Black Tome.

quote:

On another note, are there any strategies to saving the cute puppy before it dies horribly? I always feel awful 'g'iving it to the little girl.

Roll a buff early-game character like a troll barbarian and brute-force your way to it as soon as you get the quest. Even then you may get unlucky and have it spawn in a room with something that can kill it before you reach it. Or it might unavoidably get killed on the way back up. Honestly it's not worth the effort, the reward is trash so the only reason to do it is if you're emotionally attached to that red t and really want it to get its white d back.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

pro tactic is to completely ignore the quest until youve already won, and then on your way out use a leftover wish to summon her a new one. the only reward is like a lawful alignment boost and if the dog is alive you can talk to her for candy. it's bragging rights, basically.

e: you could head to the puppy cave and beeline for the stairs if you get lucky with spawns and then once you generate PC:6 you can go right back up the stairs and come back later when you're stronger and can use some form of detect monster and controlled teleport to immediately hop to the dog and make sure it doesn't get itself killed, if you really want to, i guess.

Kobold Sex Tape fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 22, 2015

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Tendales posted:

ADOM should add a new redundant species for every species Crawl removes.

it's funny, sludge elves and mountain dwarves were genuinely incredibly boring yet some people choose their removal as a hill to die on. redundant poo poo is fine if it's interesting, but if it can be simplified down into a single good point like 'can do transmutations kinda well' then what's the point. i'd like to see another variety of dwarf added, though. and maybe a species that's really good with ice magic???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
Ah, I see. Before I would talk to the girl and tell her the news, then eat it in front of her.

Later I would find out that that is a very, VERY bad thing to do.