Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Heres some older very large photos of animals. No goats might tale a goat photo when i get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Isaac posted:

Heres some ducks

nice ducks man

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

stinkypete posted:

Goats out here are called "Little Houdini's" because they get into every thing and get out of every thing. The first time I saw a "house goat" similar to a "house rabbit" it blew my mind. I tried to close the door on the goat and the home owner asked me to open it back up so the house goat could come inside. He was a pretty nice goat though. Some other goats I have been around try to force back rubs out of you even to the point of crawling under a house with you. Goats must really like back rubs! Goats are interesting.

thank you for your report on goats trevor

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

2 eggs from pecky becky. Good job bird.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Isaac posted:

2 eggs from pecky becky. Good job bird.

Does she lay them somewhere predictable or just wherever?

Are you in one of the regions which is at high risk of bushfires over the next few days?

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Lolie posted:

Does she lay them somewhere predictable or just wherever?

Are you in one of the regions which is at high risk of bushfires over the next few days?

Shes in a pen atm because haters dont like chicken poo poo everywhere.

I think its pretty uncommon to get buahfires here cause we're high up and its cooler. If there was one it would be hosed up cause there is a national forest edge about 200m away thats a trillion tons of fuel.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
stay safe issac's goat

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

ChairmanMeow posted:

stay safe issac's goat

:ohdear:

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.
this is my ex-goat Alice wearing her hat.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

stinky ox posted:

Outstanding goat pic

Modest Mauser
Oct 28, 2009

stinky ox posted:

:kimchi:
What a fine goat.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

stinky ox posted:

She seems to be really enjoying that hat.

Somewhat bottom heavy for a goat though.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Ya looks like a pigbellied goat, a breed of goat i just imagined.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

looks like the guys from shawn the sheep tried to bioengineer a goat

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Thursday morning goat pix

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.
Yeah she got a little portly in her old age, but she was 16 at that point.

She'd earned her little pot belly and her old lady hat <3

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
man i like the goats and all that but im rly here for becky

did you ever dig that hole for pecky becky

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

OhsH posted:

man i like the goats and all that but im rly here for becky

did you ever dig that hole for pecky becky

Ive got a free day today i was planning to do it but im feeling sick and its real hot outside. Gotta construct a cage which is a bit daunting in this heat.

I might just get some dirt with the tractor and do the cage another day.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Fresh rabbit egg

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

My life is better now I know about pecky becky and the goat gang thanks OP.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT2JkKLjNSw

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Making an executive order. Give goats hats.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Isaac posted:

Ive got a free day today i was planning to do it but im feeling sick and its real hot outside. Gotta construct a cage which is a bit daunting in this heat.

I might just get some dirt with the tractor and do the cage another day.

yeah man its all cool, wait til its a chiller day, not like becky gonna know what shes missin until ya make it

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I grew up in the Oregon countryside, and we had a lot of animals over the years, but only one goat. I try to not allow that experience color my judgement of goats in general.

Our goat was a male African pygmy goat, and he was a horrible creature. He seemed to revel in drinking his own piss, and I have vague childhood memories of him getting into the house and bouncing around like a maniac while pissing continuously as my dad chased him around.

I don't remember what happened to him, but he probably just got rehomed.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I grew up in the Oregon countryside, and we had a lot of animals over the years, but only one goat. I try to not allow that experience color my judgement of goats in general.

Our goat was a male African pygmy goat, and he was a horrible creature. He seemed to revel in drinking his own piss, and I have vague childhood memories of him getting into the house and bouncing around like a maniac while pissing continuously as my dad chased him around.

I don't remember what happened to him, but he probably just got rehomed.

Was he a billy or a wether? I mean, he'd probably still bounce around like a maniac, but he'd be less likely to piss all over himself so that he could be ready in the event that any nanny goats randomly wandered by.

Edit: https://youtu.be/9-QcWVPFxGA

Bored fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 19, 2015

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bored posted:

Was he a billy or a wether? I mean, he'd probably still bounce around like a maniac, but he'd be less likely to piss all over himself so that he could be ready in the event that any nanny goats randomly wandered by.

Edit: https://youtu.be/9-QcWVPFxGA

I was really too young to have much in the way of discrete memories, but I'd bet he was a billy. A horrible, horrible billy.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nuts and Gum posted:

Those are dino eyes. this thing knows where y ou sleep at night.

They can open the doors...

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

OhsH posted:

yeah man its all cool, wait til its a chiller day, not like becky gonna know what shes missin until ya make it

Becky's eggs are going to come out already cooked tomorrow. :(

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Lolie posted:

Becky's eggs are going to come out already cooked tomorrow. :(

In town i think it was 38 today. Here would have been maybe 32 peak.

I refilled peckys water and she was a thirsty girl.

Modest Mauser
Oct 28, 2009

Isaac posted:

In town i think it was 38 today. Here would have been maybe 32 peak.

I refilled peckys water and she was a thirsty girl.

Christ. Heat is just awful, I do not understand how people live comfortably in these places.
My first four years in the US I lived in a miserable and desolate jungle named Georgia and it was 40°-42° most of the summer.

What are your peak temperatures like in Australia ?

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Modest Mauser posted:

Christ. Heat is just awful, I do not understand how people live comfortably in these places.
My first four years in the US I lived in a miserable and desolate jungle named Georgia and it was 40°-42° most of the summer.

In the southeast where most people live there will be a week or so of 40+ a year. Everywhere else can get very hot. Darwin is like 40 at midnight in the winter.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
kick them goat niggas in the dick

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Modest Mauser posted:

East Coast is in the middle of a heat wave. Was high 30s most places today and low 40s are predicted for tomorrow.

We tend to get a few weeks like that each summer but they don't usually start this early. El Niņo is supposed to weaken once we get into summer, but we'll see.

The heat on its own is bearable in the more arid areas, but from Sydney northwards it's increasingly humid and it's intolerable even in the regions which don't have true wet seasons.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 19, 2015

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

kick them goat niggas in the dick

Racist, sexist, AND speciesist. Mods!

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Put cap/hats on the goats and bring us pictures!

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
How did Becky, the goats, the sheep and the dogges hold up to today's heat?

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Lolie posted:

How did Becky, the goats, the sheep and the dogges hold up to today's heat?

I was in town and it was very hot. I just got home and everything seems alive.

I haven't been in the bush for 6 years and i b forgot about the fire danger signs. Windy as gently caress and 38 degrees and it was only at 'severe' what kind of weather gets the top rating 'catastrophic'?

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Isaac posted:

I was in town and it was very hot. I just got home and everything seems alive.

I haven't been in the bush for 6 years and i b forgot about the fire danger signs. Windy as gently caress and 38 degrees and it was only at 'severe' what kind of weather gets the top rating 'catastrophic'?

"Catastrophic" is when conditions are such that it's unlikely a fire could be brought under control and people need to evacuate early. It's never safe to stay and defend in catastrophic conditions - you'll lose your water supply and shelter and you'll lose visibility and escape routes.

http://www.cfs.sa.gov.au/site/fire_bans_and_ratings/more_about_fire_danger_rating.jsp

It's still 41 here and starting to get pretty windy. Not really expected to cool down for another few hours.

The fire ratings take into account wind and humidity as well as temperature. It was hotter here today than yesterday but less humid. If we keep getting this rain/extreme heat cycle, the fuel load is going to be enormous by summer and there wasn't a lot of controlled burning this year because the heat started late September.

RFS has been asking farmers not to harvest during the day the last couple of days.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Nov 20, 2015

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Lolie posted:

"Catastrophic" is when conditions are such that it's unlikely a fire could be brought under control and people need to evacuate early. It's never safe to stay and defend in catastrophic conditions - you'll lose your water supply and shelter and you'll lose visibility and escape routes.

http://www.cfs.sa.gov.au/site/fire_bans_and_ratings/more_about_fire_danger_rating.jsp

It's still 41 here and starting to get pretty windy. Not really expected to cool down for another few hours.

The fire ratings take into account wind and humidity as well as temperature. It was hotter here today than yesterday but less humid. If we keep getting this rain/extreme heat cycle, the fuel load is going to be enormous by summer and there wasn't a lot of controlled burning this year because the heat started late September.

I remember The canberra fire where even in safe areas The sky was totally red. felt like an alien planet.

News stories from the vic ones a while ago about families frying in their cars were hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

I dont have any cute pics today but instead a lesson on free range eggs.

This many chickens will tear up a peice of ground till its mud in a day or two. It improves the soil in the long run but they need to be moved a few times a week.

Look at this pic and imagine 100 chickens for every one, never being moved. You can call that free range legally.

• Locked thread