Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Gurren Lagen is good because it never knows when to stop topping itself. It's what I hoped Aldnoah Zero would become but that series just sort of sputtered and died.

And that's all I'll say about anime.

e: Oh also Fairy Tail is good if you like big DBZ style explosions and people winning using the power of friendship.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Gurren Lagann is bad because ultimately all the topping itself just becomes meaningless and you might as well hire a little kid to make pshewww noises with their mouth.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Gurren Lagann owns!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Guyver is the best manga that will never finish because the artist apparently goes into month long comas between updates.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

gurren lagann is a better children's anime than doctor who

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

gurren lagann is a better children's anime than doctor who

It's true, just look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt3qZYUPi2Y

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
TTGL actually has a decent amount in common with Who in that it's about the triumph of romance and optimism over cynicism and the status quo. A lot more punching and explosions than the Doctor usually employs, but hey, gotta stand out somehow.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

also it's Actually Good

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

You know what's also Actually Good? Jojo. And One-Punch Man too.

Let's all celebrate good things.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Toxxupation posted:

also it's Actually Good

Toxxupation posted:

doctor who is, in fact, the greatest television show ever conceived by man
suspect opinions from a suspect poster

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
gurren lagann is loving incredible. it's so good that, and I swear to god that this is ABSOLUTELY TRUE, the instant I opened up this window to reply, Solario Days started playing in a SoundCloud tab I had open.

Now to be fair I'd just been listening to the One Punch Man OP so the odds weren't CRAZY but the coincidence is worth mentioning.

Gurren Lagann does have flaws. most of those flaws are inexorable from its nature as an anime. The stereotypes are lame, the beach episode (the second one) is a goddamn abomination against good taste and basic decency, and the degree of masculinity could be reasonably off-putting if you aren't totally into it.

BUT THE SPIRAL POWER

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Soothing Vapors posted:

suspect opinions from a suspect poster

and yet...i'm right

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

DoctorWhat posted:

BUT THE SPIRAL POWER

Not bad...

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Toxxupation posted:

and yet...i'm right

Stop posting and go watch more Gurren Lagann. And then write some reviews of it.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

DoctorWhat posted:

the degree of masculinity could be reasonably off-putting if you aren't totally into it.

This is what kind of put me off of it, by the end. I know it's Gainax's schtick to examine adolescent masculinity and how it can be good but also how it can be really hosed up. Some of their shows start to feel like weird projections by the writers after a while, though.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm more of a Gundam guy, because I can't get into a thing unless there's a minimum of three decades of programming I need to watch to understand the deeper continuity layers.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Mordiceius posted:

write some reviews of it.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 20, 2015

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
There's even a clip:
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015...n-to-doctor-who

Something something about wenches and Planet of the Boys...

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Gurren Lagann is great but it is one of a kind since it was a giant money sink and nobody would give so much cash to Imaishi, Sushio and Yoshinari ever again RIP

have you seen redline toxx thats a good one too

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

fatherboxx posted:

Gurren Lagann is great but it is one of a kind since it was a giant money sink and nobody would give so much cash to Imaishi, Sushio and Yoshinari ever again RIP

they made kill la kill though

and anime animation doesn't cost money, it costs time, and because most anime makes its money on merchandise sales they would rather put out a poorly animated show on time to drive merch sales than a good looking one late. redline was made by like ~50 people over about 8 years. even then i'm pretty sure gurren lagann made money.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 20, 2015

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

they made kill la kill though

and anime animation doesn't cost money, it costs time, and because most anime makes its money on merchandise sales they would rather put out a poorly animated show on time to drive merch sales than a good looking one late. redline was made by like ~50 people over about 8 years. even then i'm pretty sure gurren lagann made money.

yeah they milked it clean with merch and a dozen albums and two compilation movies, but making something on the Sunrise mech show template or a flashy show about troubled teens is more profitable
kill la kill was made on a fraction of TTGL budget: the cuts are quite creative most of the time, but they barely hide the slideshow

toxx please watch gurren lagann parallel works shorts after you finish

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

i mean, klk was made after they all left gainax and formed a brand new studio, so i don't think it's really fair to say anime is dead or whatever because they weren't given a truckload of money for their first real project. anime was always dead

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 20, 2015

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

anime isn't dead, because one punch man exists

klk is bad tho

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Digimon Tri is pretty swell so far.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

didn't that show literally murder the 02 cast in like 30 seconds?

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
At least one more season of Jojos (and probably like 3 or 4 more) has been confirmed so anime is good for a while

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

didn't that show literally murder the 02 cast in like 30 seconds?

Why do you think it's swell?

Also the fights are loving fantastic

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Burkion posted:

Why do you think it's swell?

Wait that wasn't rumor/hyperbole? They actually do this and nobody in the show cares?

No amount of rad fight scenes or Matt/Tai shipping's gonna get me through that, sorry.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Burkion posted:

Digimon Tri is pretty swell so far.

Does it ignore everything after 2.0?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

Does it ignore everything after 2.0?

Everything past 2 took place in their own universes anyway.

(Tamers was the best one)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

Wait that wasn't rumor/hyperbole? They actually do this and nobody in the show cares?

No amount of rad fight scenes or Matt/Tai shipping's gonna get me through that, sorry.

Actually they're not really dead.

They just don't

Exist.

I think some kind of fuckery is going on where they've been captured by whatever nebulous evil is afoot and reality has been altered because of it. Both because they show up at the VERY start and get wrecked hardcore, and after that the only mention of them is a screen showing the Digidestined across the world with their names in red. None of the heroes mention them or acknowledge them in any way. In fact most of season 2 is just kind of ignored except for some plot points. It's kind of weird.

But the OTHER thing that makes me think they're not actually dead and are just being held by some greater evil power is because apparently in the next movie/segment-

Joe and Mimi's Digimon go Mega Level and fight an evil Imperialdramon. So I'm suspecting they're straight up being corrupted and have to be saved.

Also yeah, Prior, season 3 on are all AU and are ignored. Season 2 is also LARGELY ignored, though it still happened. The only thing that's super in canon is season 1 right now.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Well okay that's more interesting. If it ends up being a commentary on how Adventure 01 was focused on to the exclusion of all else by most of the fandom that'd be fascinating.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

Well okay that's more interesting. If it ends up being a commentary on how Adventure 01 was focused on to the exclusion of all else by most of the fandom that'd be fascinating.

DoctorWhat, come clean man.

Are you a season 2 fan?

Also come to the Digimon thread so we can actually talk about it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I really like 02 a lot, to be honest. 01 02 and Tamers are all really rad IMO in different ways, though I understand SOME of the things people don't love about 02.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 21, 2015

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

I really like 02 a lot, to be honest.

Good for you man.

Come to the Digimon thread so we can genuinely talk about it.

Up front I do not, but it's entirely because of how high the bar was set by Season 1. I really do want to hear your reasons for enjoying it though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Why is Digimon still a thing if it isn't 1999 anymore? Also doctorwhat weren't you, I don't know, a fetus in 1998? Also Pokemon is superior.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Why is Digimon still a thing if it isn't 1999 anymore? Also doctorwhat weren't you, I don't know, a fetus in 1998? Also Pokemon is superior.

The first is a valid question, but Digimon Tri is the celebration of the first season so there you go.

The last is only half true. Pokemon video games are better than Digimon video games.

The Digimon anime is better than the Pokemon anime with stipulations. (Certain Digimon anime are in fact not better, but those don't count. Which ones are those? That's in the eye of the beholder.)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That first season of Digimon was my poo poo, kids at school were saying it was a copy of pokemon the gently caress.

here's the French opening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5c_YLOBxEs

lost interest with season 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Digimon anime was way better than it ever had any right to be--although I would never go far as to say it's even on the level of Doctor Who, and I know what I mean there.

• Locked thread